• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HideousGreenShirt

Duggar Paid Partnerships

HideousGreenShirt

Inspired by Donut Gate, I thought we could have a thread for all the Duggar paid partnership attempts. It's always interesting so see which companies sign these people up and then later revoke when they see past the number of followers to the hateful brand they're actually attached to.

I've listed below the ones we're aware of that are current or cancelled. I'm sure I have missed a few so please add and update as and when! 

Jill:
3130 - ongoing
Citrus and Lemon - ongoing
Juniper Anne Boutique - ?
FabFitFun - cancelled

Jinger:
Audible - ongoing
Vanity Planet - ongoing
Fonuts - cancelled
Rebecca Minkoff - cancelled
Thrive Market - cancelled

Jeremy:
Banner of truth - ongoing
Various Jesus-y book companies - ongoing

SiRen:
Adell natural cosmetics - ongoing
Vanity Planet - ongoing

Jessa:
Rhea Lana's - ongoing

Anna:
Random fishing contraption - one time sponsorship/giveaway.

Joy:
Vanity Planet - ongoing
Optavia (diet) -?

Jabbie:
Citrus and Lemon - ongoing

Edited by Coconut Flan

CarrotCake

Jill and Jinger were both pushing books and clothing from Audrey Roloff/Always More but I don't know if they were paid for it.

And aren't some also pushing STEAM for the kids? Or is that just the Bates?

viii

Jessa posted kiwi stuff, but I don't know if it was sponsored or not. 

I'm torn on how I feel about these, particularly the cancelled ones. On one hand, I appreciate that the women are getting a little chance at independence by 'working' and earning a bit of their own money. I understand why they're cancelled, because you need to be careful who you promote, but I can't held but feel a little bad for them. 

Bobology
40 minutes ago, viii said:

On one hand, I appreciate that the women are getting a little chance at independence by 'working' and earning a bit of their own money.

I know what you mean, but I seriously doubt most of them can use it as or even think of it as their "own money" because I bet it all goes directly to the headship. Some headships may not be as controlling as others.

HideousGreenShirt

I think Anna also did Kiwi Crate.

For now let's say Anna and Jessa are ongoing with them. 

I want to see if Jill will end up signing up with Rodan and Fields. She's posted a few R+F "gifts" from a friend of hers recently. 

Walking Cat Bed

I feel a bit of sympathy for them, because having something abruptly cancelled is disappointing. 

However, it's good for them to learn that brands have an image to maintain; if they want to represent that brand, they have to fit that image. And that includes ideology. So if the Duggar women want to be affiliated with more progressive brands, they'll have to evaluate and change their beliefs.

SPHASH

I seriously doubt any money was/would be made with these partnerships.  I watched a recent episode of Samantha Bee and she talked about these MLM companies are legalized pyramid schemes and how they target and take advantage of women who are struggling financially.  One woman bought $11000 worth of crappy clothing and never made a profit.  Another woman said the company she worked with pushed recruiting more than selling the actual product.  I get invites to Scentsy, Pampered Chef, and Thirty One all the time and I won't go because of this

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling n ETA

SassyPants

In terms of earning their “own” money, all the girls except Jill DO EARN their own money by working the family show. If the girls aren’t earning their own money because JB has established other business practices and doles the money out himself as he sees fit, than the MALE cast members aren’t earning their own money from the show either. Perhaps the guys need to get side gigs too.

Waffle Time
smittykins
44 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I seriously doubt any money was/would be made with these partnerships.  I watched a recent episode of Samantha Bee and she talked about these MLM companies are legalized pyramid schemes and how they target and take advantage of women who are struggling financially.  One woman bought $11000 worth of crappy clothing and never made a profit.  Another woman said the company she worked with pushed recruiting more than selling the actual product.  I get invites to Scentsy, Pampered Chef, and Thirty One all the time and I won't go because of this

I saw that.  John Oliver also has a good segment on MLMs.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

singsingsing

See, I thought I felt a bit bad for Jinger when her sponsorships got cancelled, but then I realized it was just secondhand embarrassment. I’m embarrassed for her. She and her husband are so transparently materialistic and fame hungry, and now they’re in an environment where their ignorance, stupidity and bigotry are being called out rather than getting them pats on the back. Good. It should be as difficult as possible for them to achieve their vile religious/political aims, and on a more sympathetic note, the lifestyle they’re trying to achieve is probably totally unattainable and impractical for their family. They need a major reality check.

Puzzled
Charliemae
On 12/6/2019 at 9:32 AM, SPHASH said:

MLM's are horrible, predatory, and like you said, pyramid schemes.  Some of our fundies are involved in some MLM's for sure. But, MLM's are very different from paid partnerships.  Instagram and youtube influencers can make a ton of money doing these things.  In theory anytime they have a code they give out, they get a kick back on that purchase.  They might also get a flat fee to promote some brands.  A big difference is that in an MLM you are usually paying some money up front and making money off of recruiting more sellers.  With partnerships the money is only flowing to them, and they get money for recruiting customers. 

Glasgowghirl

I've never really cared about them promoting things one way or another. None of the brands are ones I'd buy even if they didn't promote it. I can understand why some brands are reconsidering them though, especially if they have a broad fan base. 

I have only complained once about a brand using an influencer on social media and it was a few day's ago. The brand makeup Revolution, that i have bought a lot of used on youtube a youtuber called Eltoria that last year launched her own advent calendar that was supposed to contain some items that were mystery items but when people unboxed them they discovered most of it was her unwanted items from pr, subscription boxes and other advent Calendar's some of them had been opened as well, she had people thinking that a jeffree star pallette was included too, she conned a lot people and refused to refund them for a while too. Hopefully they don't use her again, she is also really annoying to begin with. 

LacyMay
On 12/6/2019 at 7:59 AM, HideousGreenShirt said:

I've listed below the ones we're aware of that are current or cancelled. I'm sure I have missed a few so please add and update as and when! 

I might be wrong but hasn't Jana done Audible and Function of Beauty? Or are we only counting the marrieds? 

Happy
indianabones

Jill posted something recently about how Juniper Anne is closing. Jessa and Joy also had Thrive Market posts, but none from the past few months, at least.

brogue

I believe Jana had some posts re Citrus and Lemon as well, shilling their dresses

Glasgowghirl

Anna done a partnership with fabletics last year, they didn't use her again after people complained regarding Josh. 

MoonFace

I'm picturing all the Duggars grasping at any opportunity for grifting  to raise a bit of cash because TLC the cash cow is going to dry up soon,    They don't  know how to work real jobs where they have to get to a specific place at a specific time and do a specific job.  

grandmadugger

I was going to put this in the Jinger thread but it really fits here better. I work in the influencer world as my side gig, need health insurance and gig work doesn’t provide it. So let me explain how all this works in general. 

How to get sponsorships

There are three ways, through an agency, pitch the company, or the company pitches you.  

Do they research the influencer

It depends. Some are very particular and some just want people with big audiences.  If using an agency they might not know who is doing a campaign. 

Have they been fired

Unless the company has said they are no longer working with someone don’t assume that they have been fired. Most are for a set timeframe and a set amount of posts. A lot are 1 offs when using an agency. 

How much are they making

This varies by company and agency. Sometimes its product and a percentage of sales from their links, some are a set dollar amount, and some are just product. There’s no way to know unless you find the agency they are using and find the pitch. 

picklepizzas
18 hours ago, indianabones said:

Jill posted something recently about how Juniper Anne is closing. Jessa and Joy also had Thrive Market posts, but none from the past few months, at least.

yeah i seem to remember a whole bunch of them getting burned by one or two companies all at once last year. 

also, jinger has audible? wow. that's like a legit big company. 

Dizzy
nelliebelle1197
On 12/6/2019 at 12:32 PM, SPHASH said:

Just to reinforce what @Charliemae said, these companies are not MLMs. These are actual companies either paying in cash or free product for promotion. 

Glasgowghirl

I have no issue with them doing promotions for products that are real and not scams, which they appear to be doing. I object to the click bait ones that most of the Teen Mom girl's do, only Chelsea I think doesn't do it, yesterday they all posted the story of Mackenzie McKee's mother dying and were making money off it, they did all take it down after a backlash but not good. I also hated that flat tummy tea and the weight loss corset that all the reality stars were pretending to use a few years back. 

Pretzel

I guess one partnership I don't mind is Jessa partnering with Rhea Lana's. It's a thrift store, right? At least that actually fits those people's lives and goes with the all time classic line of Buy Used And Save The Difference

ETA: Neither do I mind them partnering with Audible, even if they promote fundie, Jesus-y books. Books are for everyone.

Edited by Pretzel

Glasgowghirl
1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

I guess one partnership I don't mind is Jessa partnering with Rhea Lana's. It's a thrift store, right? At least that actually fits those people's lives and goes with the all time classic line of Buy Used And Save The Difference

ETA: Neither do I mind them partnering with Audible, even if they promote fundie, Jesus-y books. Books are for everyone.

I used to help out for a charity shop and I can see why they use her,she has a large social media following, Spurgeon and Henry always look well dressed and have adorable personalities and add to that baby Ivy they are ideal to promote a second hand store. It also fits in with her upbringing and lifestyle.

CarrotCake

Is Jessa getting paid for Rhea Lana? I always assumed she just knew the owner and helped out there.

But I don't know how big this store is.

Edit: haha I just found out it is a chain. Still she can know the owner/manager of the one in their region.

Edited by CarrotCake

HideousGreenShirt

Jana is now shilling Vanity Planet. 

I think Rhea Lana is a paid partnership for Jessa. She gets early access and I'm pretty sure she's posted stories with the paid partnership banner and/or #ad tag. 

It's going to be interesting to see if she gets more partnerships if she's launching a YouTube channel.