• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Josiah and Lauren 16: Just Another Young Fundie Couple

Happy
Pancakes@Tiffany's
22 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Birth episodes and season premiers are available without cable on TLC’s website. I don’t live in the us and I was able to watch with a vpn. 

Hello, outside of US and wanting to watch. What exactly is a vpn? Thank you! 

Spent
onekidanddone
3 hours ago, Cora Persephona said:

Are all these young women that close to Michelle and Jill? For the daughters/sister maybe I can understand, but for the daughters-in-law? I hope having them there is what they really wanted and they didn't feel like they have to have them there for the show/to keep sweet. I just find it odd that they would all be so close, and not even one of them prefers having just her husband/mother/sisters there rather than the in-laws.

It is a biological impossibility for me to be pregnant, that being said I’d rather listen to Alvin and the Chipmunks cranked up to 11 before I’d allow my MIL at my birth. I don’t want to sit next to her at thanksgiving let alone have her looking at my lady parts

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

singsingsing

Okay, so here's what Lauren has to say about being gluten-free in the groom's cake episode:

-While preparing the cake, Lauren says that she's gluten-free because when she eats gluten her stomach gets upset and she gets bloated. No mention of celiac disease. 

-When discussing the miscarriage: "I wasn't feeling well, I was cramping really really bad ... I was thinking maybe I had something that had gluten in it." No mention of celiac disease.

I have never heard of Lauren claiming that she has celiac disease, only that she's sensitive to gluten. At this point, unless someone has a source for Lauren claiming to have celiac, I feel pretty confident in saying that, no, Lauren does not have celiac disease.

(And oh man, I forgot how ridiculous this episode was. Kendra and Jana did okay, but it was like Jessa and Lauren didn't even bother preparing. Lauren with her broken eggs and Jessa not having half the items she needed. "What did people do in the olden days when they wanted to bake cakes?" Gee, I dunno, Jessa, maybe they had the ingredients and items they needed to bake the damn cake? Also not realizing that there's no way a recipe would call for a cake to be baked at 175 degrees fahrenheit. 🤦‍♀️)

Also, Lauren has serious issues and it's a travesty that she will never get real help.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

mollysmom

So if Lauren had 2 epidurals and neither one took what would happen if she had to have a c-section? Don't they use an epidural to numb you for that?

VBOY9977
51 minutes ago, [email protected]'s said:

I don’t know exactly how to describe it but it is something that makes your internet think that it’s functioning in another country, so you can access stuff that is only available there. Or Something along those lines. You can download a VPN online for free and most don’t give you viruses or anything, at least in my experience. 

Edited by VBOY9977

SassyPants
25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Okay, so here's what Lauren has to say about being gluten-free in the groom's cake episode:

-While preparing the cake, Lauren says that she's gluten-free because when she eats gluten her stomach gets upset and she gets bloated. No mention of celiac disease. 

-When discussing the miscarriage: "I wasn't feeling well, I was cramping really really bad ... I was thinking maybe I had something that had gluten in it." No mention of celiac disease.

I have never heard of Lauren claiming that she has celiac disease, only that she's sensitive to gluten. At this point, unless someone has a source for Lauren claiming to have celiac, I feel pretty confident in saying that, no, Lauren does not have celiac disease.

(And oh man, I forgot how ridiculous this episode was. Kendra and Jana did okay, but it was like Jessa and Lauren didn't even bother preparing. Lauren with her broken eggs and Jessa not having half the items she needed. "What did people do in the olden days when they wanted to bake cakes?" Gee, I dunno, Jessa, maybe they had the ingredients and items they needed to bake the damn cake? Also not realizing that there's no way a recipe would call for a cake to be baked at 175 degrees fahrenheit. 🤦‍♀️)

Also, Lauren has serious issues and it's a travesty that she will never get real help.

Jessa’s behavior in that episode did not surprise me in the least. Remember she is the one who didn’t use a recipe or was it measuring implements (?)when she attempted to make chocolate chip cookies, and GM Mary told her she had to measure everything when she baked. Of course, snotty Jessa ignored her.

Waffle Time
AussieKrissy
34 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

So if Lauren had 2 epidurals and neither one took what would happen if she had to have a c-section? Don't they use an epidural to numb you for that?

they would knock her out with a general 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

Cheetah
1 hour ago, [email protected]'s said:

vpn stands for virtual private network and it's a way of spoofing your location so that it looks like you are logging in from somewhere else.  People use them for instance if you are in China and want to get on Facebook (which is blocked in China) - you log into your vpn and route through South Korea or something like that.  Or in the US, if your kid took the PSAT and you are in California and you wanted to find out their score on Dec. 9 rather than waiting until Dec. 10 you could use a VPN to log in from one of the states that had access a day earlier.  

Belugaloo
1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

This happened to my cousin and she was put under general anesthesia 

Depressed
Sky with diamonds

Anyone have a video for the birth special? I can't find it on YouTube, and I don't know how to use a VPN. 

Seculardaisy
4 hours ago, keen23 said:

I have had three pregnancies, and I never tested positive before 6 weeks. Admittedly, it was 13-17 years ago, but the technology hasn't improved that much. My second, it was more like 8-9 weeks before I got a positive, and I took multiple tests during that time.

I tested positive at 3.5 weeks with my current pregnancy on a First Result Early Result test.

These tests are extremely sensitive now.

I took this test for kicks 22 days after my last period. I had not yet missed my period that would’ve indicated I was pregnant. 

Spoiler

7FA1EA83-1627-4A2D-96ED-3E4D42C66448.thumb.jpeg.5e438f0f60bfb128511855440e565e70.jpeg

Edited by Seculardaisy

ItsaJjungle
1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

they would knock her out with a general 

I had the same thing to me that happened to Lauren. A 40 hour labor, and two epidurals that didn’t work. I got a spinal for my c-section, which worked fine. Not sure if our epidurals didn’t work for the same reason and if that is the difference though . 

Spent
Satan'sFortress
2 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

It is a biological impossibility for me to be pregnant, that being said I’d rather listen to Alvin and the Chipmunks cranked up to 11 before I’d allow my MIL at my birth. I don’t want to sit next to her at thanksgiving let alone have her looking at my lady parts

Here is your nightmare for tonight:

When my mother gave birth in the 1960s, her OB nurse each time--all five births--was her MIL.  I believe that the MIL always let it be known that she was the first one to hold each of us.  My mom wasn't so thrilled about it, but I think felt she didn't have a choice.

I laughed out loud at the bolded part, above.  I feel the same about my MIL.  You & I can meet next Thanksgiving in the prayer closet.

• Upvote 7
  • Angry 1
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • WTF 1
  • Love 3

Waffle Time
AussieKrissy
35 minutes ago, ItsaJjungle said:

I had the same thing to me that happened to Lauren. A 40 hour labor, and two epidurals that didn’t work. I got a spinal for my c-section, which worked fine. Not sure if our epidurals didn’t work for the same reason and if that is the difference though . 

Oh yes I had a spinal for my C section too. I forgot that step, mainly because I think of it as an epidural. 

I itched for days after my spinal... 

Wine time!
squiddysquid

Going to the hospital earlier than a whole fucking day and getting your analgesics in a timely manner helps...

Though by the way the doc said "I don't know why your epidural isn't working and lets wait before the 2nd one." Tells me he thought she might have been exaggertating. Don't get me wrong, having a sunny side up baby sounds like hell, but Lauren is def the malingering type. (don't even get me started on the undiagnosed gluten free crowd).

Do they give opiods to labouring women in the US? I know the do in Australia (and give the babies meds to counter side effects like breathing depression - still freaks me the fuck out - Nobody in Europe would even think of doing that). She seemed really loopy/swaying/out of it - don't know how to exactly descirbe that in English- I know she kinda always speaks like that and she has been up for 2 days - it just seemed weird.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

neuroticcat
2 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I tested positive at 3.5 weeks with my current pregnancy on a First Result Early Result test.

These tests are extremely sensitive now.

I took this test for kicks 22 days after my last period. I had not yet missed my period that would’ve indicated I was pregnant. 

Hide contents

7FA1EA83-1627-4A2D-96ED-3E4D42C66448.thumb.jpeg.5e438f0f60bfb128511855440e565e70.jpeg

Definitely the tests are more sensitive, and if you ovulate early in your cycle then you could be a week or so ahead too. For two of my pregnancies I got positives st three weeks and measured a week ahead the entire pregnancy due to early ovulation. For women with regular cycles and early hcg sensitivity it’s totally possible to suspect and even feel pregnant at 3 weeks. 

13 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

Going to the hospital earlier than a whole fucking day and getting your analgesics in a timely manner helps...

Though by the way the doc said "I don't know why your epidural isn't working and lets wait before the 2nd one." Tells me he thought she might have been exaggertating. Don't get me wrong, having a sunny side up baby sounds like hell, but Lauren is def the malingering type. (don't even get me started on the undiagnosed gluten free crowd).

Do they give opiods to labouring women in the US? I know the do in Australia (and give the babies meds to counter side effects like breathing depression - still freaks me the fuck out - Nobody in Europe would even think of doing that). She seemed really loopy/swaying/out of it - don't know how to exactly descirbe that in English- I know she kinda always speaks like that and she has been up for 2 days - it just seemed weird.

I think the sunny side up thing depends on the person, too, and if it’s your first labor I think it’s hard to know if it’s worse or back labor or whatever. Or maybe that’s just me. A few of my babies were sunny side up and the only difference to me was it took slightly longer to reach transition but Oakland n seemed comparable. But maybe Im just out of touch with what part of the body is hurting/ back? Belly? It all hurts!!!

Waffle Time
mango_fandango

Just FYI, coeliac disease is not the only medical reason to avoid gluten.

But yeah, Lauren may just be the “gluten-free because it’s cool” type. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

apandaaries
57 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

I think the sunny side up thing depends on the person, too, and if it’s your first labor I think it’s hard to know if it’s worse or back labor or whatever. Or maybe that’s just me. A few of my babies were sunny side up and the only difference to me was it took slightly longer to reach transition but Oakland n seemed comparable. But maybe Im just out of touch with what part of the body is hurting/ back? Belly? It all hurts!!!

My one baby was born sunny side up with tons of back labor. Regular contractions (~7 minutes) started 36 hours before delivery. 5-minute contractions started about 25 hours before delivery, when I arrived at the hospital a whopping 3 cm dilated. 🙄 

I have migraines and worried about epidural headaches and/or ineffective epidurals, so I didn’t have one. It was painful, like a 13/10 at least. But we both survived. Really, really, extremely painful. But I adore her and would do it again.

ETA: I also EBF, and oxytocin is a helluva hormone. 

Edited by apandaaries

Bestgma

I just watched the birth special. Lauren did have a long prodromal labor, and maybe missed the opportunity to rest during some of that. 

She seemed so unprepared for the reality of labor and looked like a frightened child. She did have a good support team (way more voices than most women can listen to at once) .

once the baby was out, the magic happened! She went from traumatized and shut down to smiling and loving her baby in the moments after birth. 

Bad Wolf

TTC = trying to conceive and tater tots casserole. I was confused for a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 34
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

VeryNikeSeamstress
27 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

TTC = trying to conceive and tater tots casserole. I was confused for a while.

Like how TTH could read as Tinker Toy House or Tater Tot House.

I guess TTYL on this board means "Tater Tot You Later."

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress

just_ordinary
11 hours ago, keen23 said:

I have had three pregnancies, and I never tested positive before 6 weeks. Admittedly, it was 13-17 years ago, but the technology hasn't improved that much. My second, it was more like 8-9 weeks before I got a positive, and I took multiple tests during that time.

Those tests can be incredible sensitive today. I started testing pretty early after ovulation and had the first faint line around +8. It got stronger pretty fast, so around the first day of my period I knew for sure I was pregnant. Sadly it ended in a missed abort and a curettage. In my second pregnancy I also had a hint of a line at +8. This time it took some time for it get stronger and I was a crying mess because I thought I would loose this baby too. Took me well into my second trimester to relax a bit. 

While it is absolutely possible to test positive VERY early it doesn’t say anything about a successful outcome. 

8 hours ago, mollysmom said:

They can either up the epidural but if it didn’t work before they will probably go for general anaesthesia. I think they don’t give a spinal right after an epidural here but I might be wrong. 

Often if an epidural doesn’t work it sits not exactly at the right spot. Too deep or not deep enough can be a matter of micrometers.

2 hours ago, apandaaries said:

My one baby was born sunny side up with tons of back labor. Regular contractions (~7 minutes) started 36 hours before delivery. 5-minute contractions started about 25 hours before delivery, when I arrived at the hospital a whopping 3 cm dilated. 🙄 

I have migraines and worried about epidural headaches and/or ineffective epidurals, so I didn’t have one. It was painful, like a 13/10 at least. But we both survived. Really, really, extremely painful. But I adore her and would do it again.

ETA: I also EBF, and oxytocin is a helluva hormone. 

If you do it again maybe you want to try. I suffer from migraines and I had absolutely no bad side effects and a working epidural. But I was extremely lucky. While pregnant I never had one migraine, just three light headaches. It was wonderful. 

I also experienced back labour. The epidural helped tremendously but it still felt as if the child would press out if my ass with every contraction. 

Iamtheway

Laurens delivery sounds partly like mine. Poor girl! Miniway was also sunny side up. The labour was 52 hours without much rest. My epidural worked though. :bow-yellow:

I only had my husband there. Pretty sure you were only allowed to bring one person. And I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else either way. 

I definitly did NOT want to be touched. Not even by clothes. A nurse tried to cover me with a sheet but I threw it off. I feel bad now for the midwife and the nurses (for some reason my room was packed with people) they were all probably traumatized over the fat, naked lady. Both Miniway and I survived without lasting damage so over all it was a great success!

Wine time!
squiddysquid
41 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

they were all probably traumatized over the fat, naked lady.

They definitely were not, a lot of what we do requires patients to be stark naked, that doesn't leave an impression on us. If staff are traumatized by people in their birth suits, they picked the wrong freaking job, cause that happens every 15 minutes. Srsly if somebody flashed me in a park i wouldn't even shrug my shoulders, business as usual.

Edited by squiddysquid
The only thing I'm concerned about is that it makes patients feel embarrased cause they think we might feel uneasy... rest assured we don't care.
  • Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 26

adidas

I didn’t need a pregnancy test to know I was knocked up - my breasts were shouting it loud and clear from about a week before my period was due. I always did a test for confirmation anyway, but I didn’t really need to. Even my Dr used to joke about it. 
I was stark naked during both labours because I was in the birthing tub. I will admit, I was shocked when my midwife helped me out of the tub to go to the bathroom and I started to walk to the door ... she said no, just stay there - and put one of those absorbent disposable mats under me. She told me just to pee on it and it was SO hard to do. Easier than getting dressed and walking down the hallway though 🤣

I figure if it wasn’t okay, she wouldn’t have encouraged me to do it. 

Edited by adidas
Smelling pistake