IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 16: Just Another Young Fundie Couple

samurai_sarah

15 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I know I frequently hop on here to complain about their grammar, but can’t they sometimes get something right? Just sometimes... I’m not asking for too much, am I?

C924C7BF-02F0-4BD5-B364-3CD649E746C6.png

I saw a few times people complaining about their grammar and as a not native english speaker I don't always understand where is their mistake. It's the case here. I like to speak/write correctly (as well as using slang...) so what would be the proper away to say it?

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, LucilleJ said:

so what would be the proper away to say it?

I would have said "Her chubby cheeks and smile just warm my heart". The issue is with the verb- because cheeks and smile are both the subject of the sentence, the verb should be the plural "warm". If the sentence was just "Her smile warms my heart", then the singular verb warms is correct. Also, "those" doesn't fit with "smile", which is why I changed my sentence to start with "her". I apologize if that is confusing; I don't feel like I'm explaining this well. I love grammar, but my brain is a bit jumbled today :)

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, LucilleJ said:

I saw a few times people complaining about their grammar and as a not native english speaker I don't always understand where is their mistake. It's the case here. I like to speak/write correctly (as well as using slang...) so what would be the proper away to say it?

“Those chubby cheeks and smile just warms my heart”

She went with “warmS” because if you were to say, “that smile,” you would say “that smile just warms my heart.” But the word warm describes the entire phrase (chubby cheeks & smile) so grammatically should read “those chubby cheeks and smile just warm my heart,” with no S on the word warm.

Also, because the word cheeks is plural, even if she had only written “those chubby cheeks,” it still should have read “those chubby cheeks warm my heart,” with no S on warm. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

@LucilleJ the problem is subject verb agreement. You could say “the smile warms my heart,” but when you make the subject plural by adding to it, you have to make sure the verb agrees. So, “the smile and those cheeks warm my heart.” Smile and cheeks are two things, or plural.

This can get difficult when your subject is plural but only one word. If looking at a group of babies, you might say “their smiles warm my heart.” So a smile is one thing in this case, but their are multiple smiles, so it’s plural still.

It is not something I imagine would be easy to know intuitively if you did not learn English as your first language. It’s also not quite so clear cut with African American English which has some different patterns with some verbs.

all in all, a grating thing to hear incorrectly, but it doesn’t obscure the meaning and would not be something I’d fuss over personally.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

19 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

I would have said "Her chubby cheeks and smile just warm my heart". The issue is with the verb- because cheeks and smile are both the subject of the sentence, the verb should be the plural "warm". If the sentence was just "Her smile warms my heart", then the singular verb warms is correct.

17 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

“Those chubby cheeks and smile just warms my heart”

She went with “warmS” because if you were to say, “that smile,” you would say “that smile just warms my heart.” But the word warm describes the entire phrase (chubby cheeks & smile) so grammatically should read “those chubby cheeks and smile just warm my heart,” with no S on the word warm.

13 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

@LucilleJ the problem is subject verb agreement. You could say “the smile warms my heart,” but when you make the subject plural by adding to it, you have to make sure the verb agrees. So, “the smile and those cheeks warm my heart.” Smile and cheeks are two things, or plural.

Thank y'all ?

It was an easy mistake to see if it wasn't one I make on regular basis.

Your verbs are too "easy" to conjugate and to confuse people you put an "s" on verb with singular subject, that got me every time.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, LucilleJ said:

and to confuse people you put an "s" on verb with singular subject

Yeah, English is weird :)  I took Spanish for 9 years of my life and minored in it at college and I remember picking it up pretty easily (on paper anways; much of my pronunciation left something to be desired) because it's fairly straightforward in tense and conjugation, etc.  (obviously, there are exceptions to every rule). I can't imagine learning English as a second language! I think yours is great!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, LucilleJ said:

I’m not a native speaker either and am sure some English speaking FJ sisters on here notice my mistakes, too. I’m far from perfect. In fact, I frequently do find it quite hard to detect someone’s English mistakes. Sometimes, I know that the way I’d say or write something is correct but I’m not sure whether a different way of structuring a sentence is just another possible option or is in fact a mistake. 

However, not only do I study English at uni, I actually find the mistakes Si and Lauren make easy to spot for me personally simply because I’d automatically speak or write differently.

In the example in question, they write “those chubby cheeks and smile just warms my heart”. So, they mix singular and plural endings. Here are two alternatives: 

1. Those chubby cheeks and smiles just warm my heart. 

2. This smile just warms my heart. 

The way Si and Lauren write the sentence isn’t slang or “how you’d say it but not usually write it”, it’s just wrong. 

Anyways... does any native speaker want to jump in and tell us poor and wretched non-native souls what you think? 

ETA: I just noticed quite a few of you have answered before me without me even noticing. Thanks a lot for jumping in, guys! 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

The helicopter crash that killed Kobe and others made me think of Josiah and his copter. With his SOTDRT enhanced critical thinking skills, should he be whirling around NWA? 

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

The helicopter crash that killed Kobe and others made me think of Josiah and his copter. With his SOTDRT enhanced critical thinking skills, should he be whirling around NWA? 

Probably not. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

I was thinking about this very issue this afternoon! I’m not afraid of flying whatsoever, I’ve been on a good number of long distance flights (12 to 14 hours) so far and a multitude of shorter ones and never felt scared. In fact, I hope I’m blessed to experience many many more in my life and travel to lots of wonderful places. Speaking of airplanes, I once actually had the possibly most delicious hot chocolate of my life on a Qantas flight (getting a little off topic here...) However, these tiny planes the Duggars own frighten me a little and I’d also not like being flown around by any of them. “Big” planes for the win. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

its been nice reading these grammar lessons in response to Laurens post....native English speaker and college graduate over here. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the sentence until I read the explanations! ? (in my defense I didnt take any English classes in college! :P

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I will admit, I am a native English speaker, but usually check Free Jinger either when I get up or after I've removed my glasses and have gone to bed, so I tend to use talk to text on my phone. I've come up with some real doozies that way!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

Lauren is shilling Vanity Planet on her instastory- seems to be the method- cute baby pictures on the Instagram feed and the selling pitch on the story. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly I roll my eyes at grammar nazi's, we get it, you are the best and the smartest, we bow to your superior intellect, and utter perfection. ?

It is the internet, I don't know jack about the rules of grammar, I can't spell, and I type like 3 legged drunk dog.  I have ADHD, I'm 49, and this wasn't a thing when I was kid. I was hounded to remember this, pay attention to that, and literally brought to tears by my parents more times than I can count, because I couldn't get her to understand that I WAS trying, I was called a liar, lazy, willful, bratty, you name it.  I missed a LOT of my education because I wasn't interested in it, and with ADHD if you aren't interested you aren't going to to pay attention.

ADHDers do many things, most of them at the same time, and finish very little of them. Another we do is hyper-focus on things, like being called out for making mistakes, it ratchets up our anxiety causing us to make even more mistakes, vicious circle and all. Unless "your calling someone a stoopid looser", I find pointing out grammar mistakes and or typos to be BEC.  Get over it folks, this isn't a thesis, it isn't Harvard it's the internet, most of us are here for the LOLs, not to be reminded of their short comings. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

Grammar mistakes are not unique to fundies. Lauren might not be making mistakes because she is a fundie, but because she is human. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

I agree that the hyper-focus on having perfect grammar online can get tiring. Plenty of people that went to both public and private school have bad grammar, as well. And I honestly would have probably made the same mistake as Lauren. It isn't necessarily an indication that Lauren received poor homeschooling from her mom. 

What is concerning is that Lauren is (most likely) going to be homeschooling her child(ren). If she's going to be their math, science (lol), English, etc. teacher she should have a good grasp on these subjects. It's okay to have weaknesses, but it's also important to be able to recognize them. I think that's wehre some of the concern comes from when people correct these fundies' grammar. Do they know their own limitations? Probably not, and their kids will suffer because of that.

I'm bad at spelling and grammar, but I'm not attempting to teach these skills to anyone. :confusion-shrug:

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I was thinking about this very issue this afternoon! I’m not afraid of flying whatsoever, I’ve been on a good number of long distance flights (12 to 14 hours) so far and a multitude of shorter ones and never felt scared. In fact, I hope I’m blessed to experience many many more in my life and travel to lots of wonderful places. Speaking of airplanes, I once actually had the possibly most delicious hot chocolate of my life on a Qantas flight (getting a little off topic here...) However, these tiny planes the Duggars own frighten me a little and I’d also not like being flown around by any of them. “Big” planes for the win. 

In 1989 I flew Lufthansa to Germany and they served shrimp cocktail! 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

In 1989 I flew Lufthansa to Germany and they served shrimp cocktail! 

The hot chocolate I had on the Qantas flight had lots of marshmallows! In fact, it was the first time in my life I had ever had marshmallows. Ok, I see I might not win the “poshest food on a flight” competition ????

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Honestly I roll my eyes at grammar nazi's, we get it, you are the best and the smartest, we bow to your superior intellect, and utter perfection. ?

It is the internet, I don't know jack about the rules of grammar, I can't spell, and I type like 3 legged drunk dog.  I have ADHD, I'm 49, and this wasn't a thing when I was kid. I was hounded to remember this, pay attention to that, and literally brought to tears by my parents more times than I can count, because I couldn't get her to understand that I WAS trying, I was called a liar, lazy, willful, bratty, you name it.  I missed a LOT of my education because I wasn't interested in it, and with ADHD if you aren't interested you aren't going to to pay attention.

ADHDers do many things, most of them at the same time, and finish very little of them. Another we do is hyper-focus on things, like being called out for making mistakes, it ratchets up our anxiety causing us to make even more mistakes, vicious circle and all. Unless "your calling someone a stoopid looser", I find pointing out grammar mistakes and or typos to be BEC.  Get over it folks, this isn't a thesis, it isn't Harvard it's the internet, most of us are here for the LOLs, not to be reminded of their short comings. 

Can you please speak for yourself and not millions of adults with ADHD as if we're some monolith?  We're not.

ADHD manifests in many different ways and your experience is not everyone elses experience.

And no, it wasn't a thing (especially for girls) when we were kids but it's been a thing for many years and treatment is available if you want it.  It takes time to find a solution that can help, and choosing not to address it is fine too but expect pushback if you're going to blame your own issues on ADHD not being addressed back in the day.

• Upvote 9
  • Fuck You 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

I agree that the hyper-focus on having perfect grammar online can get tiring. Plenty of people that went to both public and private school have bad grammar, as well. And I honestly would have probably made the same mistake as Lauren. It isn't necessarily an indication that Lauren received poor homeschooling from her mom. 

What is concerning is that Lauren is (most likely) going to be homeschooling her child(ren). If she's going to be their math, science (lol), English, etc. teacher she should have a good grasp on these subjects. It's okay to have weaknesses, but it's also important to be able to recognize them. I think that's wehre some of the concern comes from when people correct these fundies' grammar. Do they know their own limitations? Probably not, and their kids will suffer because of that.

I'm bad at spelling and grammar, but I'm not attempting to teach these skills to anyone. :confusion-shrug:

Agree 100%.  Should my husband and I choose to homeschool any future kid, there's no way either of us will be capable of teaching said kid highschool science. That's what dual-enrollment, co-ops, tutors, etc. are for.  Hopefully Lauren and Si will lean into their academic strengths and have the humility and wisdom to get help in their weaker areas.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Can you please speak for yourself and not millions of adults with ADHD as if we're some monolith?  We're not.

ADHD manifests in many different ways and your experience is not everyone elses experience.

And no, it wasn't a thing (especially for girls) when we were kids but it's been a thing for many years and treatment is available if you want it.  It takes time to find a solution that can help, and choosing not to address it is fine too but expect pushback if you're going to blame your own issues on ADHD not being addressed back in the day.

My point is, it is petty, no one is perfect, so what do people get out of being that person who has to point out other people's mistakes all the time? You don't know if that person is uneducated, has a learning disability, or was just careless about what they typed. It is BEC and it can make others feel bad about themselves. But hey, you do you princess perfect. 

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 1

Unapologetic grammar policeperson here. It's not a crime to expect native speakers to learn their language.

Attack away

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Former English teacher here. I've proofread and corrected the writing of a lot of people over the years, and while grammar and syntax rules are often broken by these folks on their posts, it's not anymore than the average person. I've seen much worse from people I know who are college educated. Consistent subject/verb agreement is something almost everyone struggles with, particularly when writing many paragraphs at once. Maintaining consistent voice with past and present tense can trip people up easily too. If there's anyone on the Duggar forum who struggles the most with things like this, it's actually Sierra Dominguez. There's a lot to say about what these people practice and believe, but simple and common language mistakes are kind of unfair and BEC because this isn't limited to people who are educated a certain way. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My point is, it is petty, no one is perfect, so what do people get out of being that person who has to point out other people's mistakes all the time? You don't know if that person is uneducated, has a learning disability, or was just careless about what they typed. It is BEC and it can make others feel bad about themselves. But hey, you do you princess perfect. 

Is it BEC that you made several sweeping statements about how ADHD people function including what ratchets our anxiety? 

Having my grammar called out doesn't ratchet mine.  Plenty of people with ADHD do know the rules of grammar and can spell.

You want to paint yourself with a shitty brush and being proud of what you call your shortcomings have at it.  But when you compare being able to correctly write with Harvard that has fuck all to do with ADHD.   

Plenty of people, including myself, typo and misspeak all the time.  It's a message board and if my point was made I rarely bother correcting.  But it's not because I don't understand the rules of grammar or spelling...mistakes =/= ignorance.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Is it BEC that you made several sweeping statements about how ADHD people function including what ratchets our anxiety? 

Having my grammar called out doesn't ratchet mine.  Plenty of people with ADHD do know the rules of grammar and can spell.

You want to paint yourself with a shitty brush and being proud of what you call your shortcomings have at it.  But when you compare being able to correctly write with Harvard that has fuck all to do with ADHD.   

Plenty of people, including myself, typo and misspeak all the time.  It's a message board and if my point was made I rarely bother correcting.  But it's not because I don't understand the rules of grammar or spelling...mistakes =/= ignorance.  

I don’t think she specifically meant calling out people’s grammar mistakes ratchets up the anxiety, I think she meant calling out people’s mistakes in general. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic