IGNORED

JinJer 51: Can't Even Sell Donuts!

Destiny

2 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I know we’re not supposed to engage in pregnancy speculation, but since this is 100% not based on her figure... Jinger’s current Instagram story is her rolling dough around with the caption  “More to come soon ?

Christmas baking themed “bun in the oven” announcement? Or ”clever” tease?

Maybe she's writing a cookbook ?

• Upvote 5

As far as Vegetarians and Vegans at social events, I didn't realize it but from a lot of the comments made I might be a bit of an outlier in that depending on what the gathering is I'll bring my own food. Like if it's a BBQ I'll bring veggy burgers or Holiday dinner with family I'll prepare and bring tofurky or something. I eat sides but I just find this easier because it gurantees I get food without having to mention before hand that I don't eat meat and I don't have to worry about any awkward what do you/can you eat conversations.

I'm finding the Orthorexia conversation fascinating. I know 110% That even though I've been a Vegetarian for 20+ years that for the last few it's definitely transitioned from run of the mill Vegetarian to an anxiety/guilt thing. I really struggle with thought spiraling into what goes into food and how it's produced. It's not a health thing like I love baking and junk food but I'm hyperaware of what went into what I eat and will drive myself to the edge feeling guilty about it. (This has been discussed at length with my therapist and it's something I'm actively working on. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

I’ve been wondering if she’s pregnant again ever since the awkward bag positioning of the now-deleted Rebecca Minkoff post. It made me realize there’s been a lot of pictures with poses that hide her middle lately. 

but even if I’m wrong now, I’ll be right eventually, I’m sure!

• Upvote 14

I've never been vegan, but I don't care much for meat and have followed a vegetarian diet off an on. My last stretch was 10 years as a vegetarian, but I introduced chicken and fish a few days a week after a year of breastfeeding my daughter. I got very sick and I think pregnancy and nursing completely wiped out any nurtient stores I had.

For me, the strangest part was how offended people seemed to be that I didn't eat meat. Not even at cookouts and parties, but like at the lunch table at work. I'd bring in my black bean burger and a salad, or a home made bean burrito, and the people around me would feel the need to comment all the time. " Where's your protein?" "I'd rather have clogged arteries than give up steak!" "How do you get enough nutrition?" I am a nurse and these were fellow nurses, many of whom did not have very healthy diets despite including the all important meat. Like why give me crap for eating vegetables when you're over there with your chicken tenders and fries every day? I have never once felt the need to bring up other peoples' diets, it was always the omnivores that felt the need to nit pick my food.

It's been 6 years since I re-introduced meats and I still don't love eating it. Sometimes I consider going veg again just because I enjoy vegetables more than meat.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

On 12/9/2019 at 1:16 AM, Rachel333 said:

What would you guys think of a Muslim, Jewish person, or Hindu who traveled and wouldn't eat pork or beef? Should they not travel? Or what about people with allergies?

I've traveled quite a bit and while I don't eat vegan abroad, I simply can't eat meat. It would be enormously upsetting. I've tried to explain it before to people who think I should be able to just eat meat on occasion, but I've realize that those people just can't understand. It's through no fault of their own, there's just nothing I can compare it to to explain how important vegetarianism is to me.

The thing is, the people I've met traveling have been a lot more understanding than others give them credit for. Most people are going to understand that not everyone is going to be able to eat every food. I stayed with a host family in a village in Botswana for a while and they fully understood what vegetarianism was and had no problem with it. I stayed a few days in a village in the Amazon, and the interpreter explained that I didn't eat fish, and the people there didn't seem offended at all, they just laughed and piled more rice on my plate. Funny enough, the only time I've seen someone act confused was in India where a Christian pastor was surprised that I didn't want to eat beef if I wasn't Hindu. Even he didn't seem offended, though (obviously he's used to vegetarians!), just a little confused.

Like I said, I do relax my rules while traveling and I don't mind eating some dairy or even eggs, but staying vegetarian has been easy. I've never been in a situation where I was unable to eat anything, and people have very understanding. Most people aren't as unaware of vegetarianism as a lot of Americans seem to expect (honestly, it gets to be almost offensive how some Americans think that people abroad can't understand that people have different food requirements). Yes, it would be nice if I could eat everything, and I don't doubt that there are situations where eating meat would be necessary and hopefully I can avoid those situations, but overall traveling while vegetarian has been a lot less of an issue than others might expect.

Now that I think of it, the only times I've really had people react negatively to my being vegetarian have been the US, where some people like to shove meat in my face and make the same old "people eating tasty animals" jokes. Even they aren't terribly common, though, and more often people go overboard and I have to assure them that I'm not offended at all if they eat meat in front of me. I do think that people in general are nice and try to be understanding of others' needs.

Edited to add another thought: There's a big difference between not eating something because you don't eat [insert category] at all, vs. because you think that particular dish looks gross, and people are obviously going to be more offended by the latter. Even if you don't like a food, it's so important not to act disgusted by it. I hate it when I see people do that to food they're not familiar with, especially if it's a difference in culture.

(Even my family members will do that with my food and tell me how gross it looks, even though I only made it for myself! Like, I'm not offended in the slightest that they don't want to eat my vegan food--I actually prefer it that way!--but they don't have to go on and on about how gross they think it is. There have been several occasions where my dad ate a bunch of vegan food -- for example, half a tray of enchiladas made with a tofu filling, or multiple slices of vegan pizza made with vegan cheese -- and then only after finding out it was vegan declared how gross it was.)

I certainly don't think any less of anyone who refuses a dish for any reason - I previously posted about a decision that I felt was right for me at the time just as anyone else's decisions are whats are right for them.  When visiting the family I referred to earlier I would have planned ahead and perhaps offered to take lunch along if I didn't have it in the back of my mind that this situation may come up and that I was comfortable to eat the food.  I actually receive much less judgement in Argentina (with the emphasis on meat in the diet) than I did growing up in Australia.

Actually the main problem I have when travelling is that when I say I'm vegetarian I will often be given tomato based dishes - when I have a tomato allergy!!!  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues said:

Actually the main problem I have when travelling is that when I say I'm vegetarian I will often be given tomato based dishes - when I have a tomato allergy!!!  

Me too!! I've actually never met another person with a tomato allergy, so hi!!

I'm mostly vegetarian just by preference, but a real reason I don't think I could go full veggie is because SO many veggie options are tomato-based. I have a couple of related allergies that make it a pain to try to get viable vegetarian foods in public settings, so while I mostly cook meat-free at home when I'm out I tend to eat meat dishes a lot more.

• Upvote 2

@Eponine & @Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues, I’m not vegetarian but often at a restaurant I’ll order their vegetarian dishes because the description sounds delicious. It never occurred to me it’s because it’s tomato-heavy, but I could eat my weight in tomatoes! I’ll have to pay attention to that the next time I’m out; I wonder if that’s why I do it. ?

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, nausicaa said:

To be fair, I can see how a lifelong meat eater not exposed to many vegetarians wouldn't think much about the ingredients in the cooking process and just look to see if there's visible chunks of meat in the finished product. My Irish grandmother would have 100% done this without trying to be difficult.

However, the "I will sneak meat into your food on purpose" people are weird and I've never understood what their problem is. (And I'm saying this as a meat eater.) 

Or acting as if every dish that is vegan is automatically disgusting. I was once tasked with bringing a vegetable to my extended family's picnic so I made an edamame/bean dish that was vegan so it could sit out in the sun with no worries. When I informed my aunt that it didn't need to go in the fridge for this reason, the entire room recoiled. Again, I was tasked with a freaking vegetable dish!

For the vegetarians/vegans, what do you do about your iron levels? When I experimented with it, my iron dropped precipitously and I was tired all the time (and my period was a mess). I was eating a balanced diet as well, not just mainlining Oreos. 

I take B12,everyday.I haven't checked my iron  levels.But my cholesterol went from 237 to 150,since I went vegan.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:44 AM, scarlettphoenix said:

I refuse to listen to this! The lies people propagate...Ted Cruz, a human indeed! Don’t be ridiculous.

Oh hey I’m from there! 
whereabouts?

Im from the Lake Marion area. 

I live in Summerville.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

Now this is a good rabbit trail! I've learned that before inviting someone over, to talk about food allergies/sensitivities. I bless the couples whose weddings I attended recently, who included that as part of their RSVP. One relative brings their own food all the time to gatherings, and I'm starting to get it.

Back to how that started, are there any such allergies among the Duggars, besides Josie's lactose intolerance? Oh yeah, one of the in-laws is gluten intolerant, right? Is Jinger acting like she doesn't know about such things?

• Upvote 4

Since we often give them a hard time about processed food and cans, I just want throw out there that the Duggars do have a pretty good recipe for homemade rolls that was much simpler than anything else I was looking at online recipe-wise (I don't have the best luck with yeast, personally) and I decided to try it for Thanksgiving 2018. They turned out amazing. 10/10 would make again. 

http://www.duggarfamily.com/2015/11/homemade-rolls

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

9 hours ago, bal maiden said:

I’ve been wondering if she’s pregnant again ever since the awkward bag positioning of the now-deleted Rebecca Minkoff post. It made me realize there’s been a lot of pictures with poses that hide her middle lately. 

but even if I’m wrong now, I’ll be right eventually, I’m sure!

And they did a professional photo shoot as well 

1 hour ago, lizzybee said:

Since we often give them a hard time about processed food and cans, I just want throw out there that the Duggars do have a pretty good recipe for homemade rolls that was much simpler than anything else I was looking at online recipe-wise (I don't have the best luck with yeast, personally) and I decided to try it for Thanksgiving 2018. They turned out amazing. 10/10 would make again. 

http://www.duggarfamily.com/2015/11/homemade-rolls

I've made them a few times and am a big fan! My inlaws and husband also devoured them. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, viii said:

And they did a professional photo shoot as well 

They do a professional photo shoot to drink coffee I don’t think that means anything.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Eponine said:

Me too!! I've actually never met another person with a tomato allergy, so hi!!

I'm mostly vegetarian just by preference, but a real reason I don't think I could go full veggie is because SO many veggie options are tomato-based. I have a couple of related allergies that make it a pain to try to get viable vegetarian foods in public settings, so while I mostly cook meat-free at home when I'm out I tend to eat meat dishes a lot more.

Wow, there are 3 of us! I stopped being vegetarian when I moved out of a city because it's just to hard to find foods that are vegetarian and tomato-free--even most Indian food with a sauce is tomato-based now. I also tend to eat at buffets when out because even though it's not the greatest food in the world I can see what I'm eating.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, artdecades said:

They do a professional photo shoot to drink coffee I don’t think that means anything.  

It's true; if it was any other couple it would be a dead giveaway, but I'm more prone to chalk it up to J&J's egos than any speculation.

However, there have been other key points that I've raised a brow over, so I guess time will tell. 

• Upvote 3

Some people are just jerks about commenting on other people's food choices or accommodating them. But I think also these days, there are so many people who for whatever reason don't eat a particular thing and so I think some people just get exhausted trying to accommodate everything. 

My mom has developed a dairy allergy. She also can't eat chocolate because it gives her terrible migraines. She now thinks that she is developing a nut allergy. I accommodate all these things when I cook for her. She gets her own dairy free mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

My mother-in-law has decided that she has some sort of gluten issue so whenever we have them over for dinner, I need to make sure everything for her is gluten free. I've started making gluten free desserts for her too.  

Now if both my mother and mother in law were at a dinner together, it would make it much more complicated. Throw in my husband's cousin who is a vegetarian and I would be tearing out my hair!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 12/8/2019 at 7:30 AM, DarkAnts said:

I am one of those who can't go vegan. I am allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and soy. Because I am allergic to two legumes, I was told by my doctor to not eat anything in that family. I do buy meat that has been raised in pastures and killed as humanly as possible. I also keep portion sizes reasonable. Meat portions are the size of a deck of cards. 

I have the same food allergies. Eating vegan is next to impossible! We purchased 1/4 share of a cow from a local farmer about a year ago and we cook that. We also eat a lot of fish. Fortunately, we live in the Pacific Northwest, so it’s pretty easy to get good quality seafood. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Now if both my mother and mother in law were at a dinner together, it would make it much more complicated. 

I have a dairy allergy and my husband is gluten-intolerant. So that's every night at our house! 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I know we’re not supposed to engage in pregnancy speculation, but since this is 100% not based on her figure... Jinger’s current Instagram story is her rolling dough around with the caption  “More to come soon ?

Christmas baking themed “bun in the oven” announcement? Or ”clever” tease?

Safe bet is pretty much always on pregnant with these women.  But I think this is just another part of the weird rebranding they are doing.  Jinger is a baker, Jonger has always loved baking, didn't you know that Jinger bakes?!?  I can't think of a single time before this that we were supposed to think she was the baker of the family.  But okay.... 

Scrolled through her feed real quick to see if I'm right and yeah, the baking is new.  She has a lot of Asian food, coffee and ice cream pictures.  The one other picture of baked goods is a cookie exchange from this month and she found the recipe online.  You'd think is she was "The Baker" that she'd already have a go to gingerbread recipe... 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

35 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I have a dairy allergy and my husband is gluten-intolerant. So that's every night at our house! 

Yes, I am very thankful that my husband and kids don't have any food allergies. It would make life so much more stressful. That being said, I have such a severe aversion to bananas that my mother wonders if I am allergic to them. 

4 hours ago, melon said:

I take B12,everyday.I haven't checked my iron  levels.But my cholesterol went from 237 to 150,since I went vegan.

I live in Summerville.

Oh hey, i just moved away from Goose Creek in June of this year 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:

I am so happy none of us have food allergies. I do have to watch things as my husband won't eat seafood (except for lobster but that rarely happens), mushrooms, broccoli, brussels sprouts and other tomatoes except in stews and chilis and of course sauce. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Charliemae said:

Safe bet is pretty much always on pregnant with these women.  But I think this is just another part of the weird rebranding they are doing.  Jinger is a baker, Jonger has always loved baking, didn't you know that Jinger bakes?!?  I can't think of a single time before this that we were supposed to think she was the baker of the family.  But okay.... 

Scrolled through her feed real quick to see if I'm right and yeah, the baking is new.  She has a lot of Asian food, coffee and ice cream pictures.  The one other picture of baked goods is a cookie exchange from this month and she found the recipe online.  You'd think is she was "The Baker" that she'd already have a go to gingerbread recipe... 

I do vaguely remember her baking the wheat bread for the family back when she was in her teens. But she’s definitely not promoted it as her thing until now... 

• Upvote 6

Do wonder why if Jinjer is "the baker" why she partnered with the donut folks as an "influencer" (still can't say that with a straight face) instead of as a partner in developing recipes, new flavors and types of donuts, etc.

I think she's always been the baker the way Joy was always Sierra's best friend, even though she was like 12 at the time. Or the way Josh was "a graphic designer" when he used commonly available software to make an invitation or something. Or how Jana is the family's concert pianist...

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic