IGNORED

JinJer 51: Can't Even Sell Donuts!

Destiny

What would you guys think of a Muslim, Jewish person, or Hindu who traveled and wouldn't eat pork or beef? Should they not travel? Or what about people with allergies?

I've traveled quite a bit and while I don't eat vegan abroad, I simply can't eat meat. It would be enormously upsetting. I've tried to explain it before to people who think I should be able to just eat meat on occasion, but I've realize that those people just can't understand. It's through no fault of their own, there's just nothing I can compare it to to explain how important vegetarianism is to me.

The thing is, the people I've met traveling have been a lot more understanding than others give them credit for. Most people are going to understand that not everyone is going to be able to eat every food. I stayed with a host family in a village in Botswana for a while and they fully understood what vegetarianism was and had no problem with it. I stayed a few days in a village in the Amazon, and the interpreter explained that I didn't eat fish, and the people there didn't seem offended at all, they just laughed and piled more rice on my plate. Funny enough, the only time I've seen someone act confused was in India where a Christian pastor was surprised that I didn't want to eat beef if I wasn't Hindu. Even he didn't seem offended, though (obviously he's used to vegetarians!), just a little confused.

Like I said, I do relax my rules while traveling and I don't mind eating some dairy or even eggs, but staying vegetarian has been easy. I've never been in a situation where I was unable to eat anything, and people have very understanding. Most people aren't as unaware of vegetarianism as a lot of Americans seem to expect (honestly, it gets to be almost offensive how some Americans think that people abroad can't understand that people have different food requirements). Yes, it would be nice if I could eat everything, and I don't doubt that there are situations where eating meat would be necessary and hopefully I can avoid those situations, but overall traveling while vegetarian has been a lot less of an issue than others might expect.

Now that I think of it, the only times I've really had people react negatively to my being vegetarian have been the US, where some people like to shove meat in my face and make the same old "people eating tasty animals" jokes. Even they aren't terribly common, though, and more often people go overboard and I have to assure them that I'm not offended at all if they eat meat in front of me. I do think that people in general are nice and try to be understanding of others' needs.

Edited to add another thought: There's a big difference between not eating something because you don't eat [insert category] at all, vs. because you think that particular dish looks gross, and people are obviously going to be more offended by the latter. Even if you don't like a food, it's so important not to act disgusted by it. I hate it when I see people do that to food they're not familiar with, especially if it's a difference in culture.

(Even my family members will do that with my food and tell me how gross it looks, even though I only made it for myself! Like, I'm not offended in the slightest that they don't want to eat my vegan food--I actually prefer it that way!--but they don't have to go on and on about how gross they think it is. There have been several occasions where my dad ate a bunch of vegan food -- for example, half a tray of enchiladas made with a tofu filling, or multiple slices of vegan pizza made with vegan cheese -- and then only after finding out it was vegan declared how gross it was.)

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 14

I am one of those who can't go vegan. I am allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and soy. Because I am allergic to two legumes, I was told by my doctor to not eat anything in that family. I do buy meat that has been raised in pastures and killed as humanly as possible. I also keep portion sizes reasonable. Meat portions are the size of a deck of cards. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

What would you guys think of a Muslim, Jewish person, or Hindu who traveled and wouldn't eat pork or beef? Should they not travel? Or what about people with allergies?

I've traveled quite a bit and while I don't eat vegan abroad, I simply can't eat meat. It would be enormously upsetting. I've tried to explain it before to people who think I should be able to just eat meat on occasion, but I've realize that those people just can't understand. It's through no fault of their own, there's just nothing I can compare it to to explain how important vegetarianism is to me.

The thing is, the people I've met traveling have been a lot more understanding than others give them credit for. Most people are going to understand that not everyone is going to be able to eat every food. I stayed with a host family in a village in Botswana for a while and they fully understood what vegetarianism was and had no problem with it. I stayed a few days in a village in the Amazon, and the interpreter explained that I didn't eat fish, and the people there didn't seem offended at all, they just laughed and piled more rice on my plate. Funny enough, the only time I've seen someone act confused was in India where a Christian pastor was surprised that I didn't want to eat beef if I wasn't Hindu. Even he didn't seem offended, though (obviously he's used to vegetarians!), just a little confused.

Like I said, I do relax my rules while traveling and I don't mind eating some dairy or even eggs, but staying vegetarian has been easy. I've never been in a situation where I was unable to eat anything, and people have very understanding. Most people aren't as unaware of vegetarianism as a lot of Americans seem to expect (honestly, it gets to be almost offensive how some Americans think that people abroad can't understand that people have different food requirements). Yes, it would be nice if I could eat everything, and I don't doubt that there are situations where eating meat would be necessary and hopefully I can avoid those situations, but overall traveling while vegetarian has been a lot less of an issue than others might expect.

Now that I think of it, the only times I've really had people react negatively to my being vegetarian have been the US, where some people like to shove meat in my face and make the same old "people eating tasty animals" jokes. Even they aren't terribly common, though, and more often people go overboard and I have to assure them that I'm not offended at all if they eat meat in front of me. I do think that people in general are nice and try to be understanding of others' needs.

Edited to add another thought: There's a big difference between not eating something because you don't eat [insert category] at all, vs. because you think that particular dish looks gross, and people are obviously going to be more offended by the latter. Even if you don't like a food, it's so important not to act disgusted by it. I hate it when I see people do that to food they're not familiar with, especially if it's a difference in culture.

(Even my family members will do that with my food and tell me how gross it looks, even though I only made it for myself! Like, I'm not offended in the slightest that they don't want to eat my vegan food--I actually prefer it that way!--but they don't have to go on and on about how gross they think it is. There have been several occasions where my dad ate a bunch of vegan food -- for example, half a tray of enchiladas made with a tofu filling, or multiple slices of vegan pizza made with vegan cheese -- and then only after finding out it was vegan declared how gross it was.)

I can’t wither. I’ve been vegetarian for 14 years and there have been a few occasions where someone snuck meat into something or didn’t realize it was there and I ate it— and spent the rest of the day or night throwing up. I just can’t do it. Traveling as a vegetarian has never been an issue, thankfully. 

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

The hardest part for me is having to ask what's in each dish.

When I go to a community fundraising dinner it's easy to say "no burger for me, but can I have lots of salad and veggies and a supersized baked potato instead?" 

But for example, yesterday I went to a going-away potluck for a coworker.  Lots of the dishes were cooked items where all ingredients aren't necessarily visible.  Even if everyone had been standing by their offering, it would have been exhausting to ask each person "what's in this?"  Is that sausage just pork or does it include beef?"  Half the time they might not even know.

Depending on the situation, sometimes I will ask, but usually I just have a really imbalanced meal of only the things I'm sure I'm ok with.

And I'm well aware how fortunate I am that my food limitations are self-imposed and I will not suffer actual illness or worse if I end up ingesting the things I am trying to avoid.  One acquaintance of mine is medically allergic to cinnamon and I wonder if she is able to partake in public meals or potlucks at all, because cinnamon could be hidden in such a wide variety of foods.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I would almost always say something politely.

I've been like this for 40 years. All over this country. I've dealt with every possibile range of understanding. Every expectation. My grandparents berated my parents for doing this to us. Kansas was a nightmare. Oregon isn't.

I always. Always. Know. Meat flavor hits my tongue and comes back out. I have smuggled more pbjs and frozen burritos to meals than I could count.

My stomach is sensitive. I would be concerned. My only exceptions to refusal would be the aforementioned one in which the meal was clearly made as an expression of honor for my presence.

I'd take a minimal amount. But I would try some. That's me. I've thought this through before and if I was to travel extensively in an area where veg might be a problem, I would try eating some meat dishes as prep beforehand to see what sort of stomach ailments I might have to contend with. "Always be prepared."

It's not my religion (though it's about as close as I ever came to one) just an ethical choice.

Respecting other people is also important to me.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 5

I think it really depends on the intent of the meal and the hosts’ expectation/understanding. I’m western countries when I was a vegetarian (and now as celiac) I have zero issue bringing my own food or politely declining. People are sometimes weird about it but I don’t think it’s insulting. 

Even traveling abroad, I think you get a lot of leeway. To me, where I would bend would be not only cultural but also the idea of an honored guest. For me, something about an impoverished person offering me meat (which was an unheard of luxury for them) and me refusing seemed like several layers of personal insult and something they couldn’t understand. 

That being said I never got I’ll from meat, it was more psychological. I think people of all cultures do understand allergies so I’d maybe go that route if eating something would physically make me really sick. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

And I'm well aware how fortunate I am that my food limitations are self-imposed and I will not suffer actual illness or worse if I end up ingesting the things I am trying to avoid.  One acquaintance of mine is medically allergic to cinnamon and I wonder if she is able to partake in public meals or potlucks at all, because cinnamon could be hidden in such a wide variety of foods.

This is something I don't think about often enough & I need to be more appreciative of it. So far, at 42 years old, there is nothing that I'm allergic to (that I'm aware of). I don't have to think about or worry about the food I'm eating. I didn't realize how rare that is & how lucky I am. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I'm not allergic but I have severe IBS and have been a vegetarian for 20+ years so the idea of introducing meat suddenly into my diet terrifies me. I've just gotten used to politely declining or bringing my own food (and because of it I have a number of friends who forget I'm a vegetarian or just never realize.) 

Nothing annoys me more though than the joking about sneaking meat into my food or the "just try a little bit" etc stuff. I don't care what other people eat and I don't understand that hangups that some people have about what I eat. 

• Upvote 16

I've added more and more food issues over the years.  My possibly most irritating was my own mother who persisted in using ingredients to which I am allergic and defending herself by saying she only used a little bit.  I remember her telling my teen daughter that I was "overreacting" when I had an allergy attack from something she ""only put a little bit in dinner" one night.  Daughter snappily replied, "Grandma, you KNOW she can't have any of that.  YOU made Mama sick."  "

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 15
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

Also, when I was a vegetarian in the south:

1. Went to someone’s house for dinner: “We know you’re a vegetarian so we made chicken fettuccini!” Totally sincere.

2. In hospital after birth I ordered a veggie burger  which they brought...with a side of bacon

Admittedly this was ten plus years ago so awareness has changed, but bless their hearts!!!

Now that I have celiac I’m thankful to live innPacNW where everyone is almost laughably conscientious!

• Upvote 14
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

I remember being in Germany a few years ago and asking if there was anything on the menu without meat. "Yes, we have chicken." True story.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I've added more and more food issues over the years.  My possibly most irritating was my own mother who persisted in using ingredients to which I am allergic and defending herself by saying she only used a little bit.  I remember her telling my teen daughter that I was "overreacting" when I had an allergy attack from something she ""only put a little bit in dinner" one night.  Daughter snappily replied, "Grandma, you KNOW she can't have any of that.  YOU made Mama sick."  "

??? I refuse to eat anything my mother cooks for this very reason! She did it three times over the course of about a year (I don’t see her that often). Pissed me off to no end!! Or she would say “but it’s organic! That makes it ok, right?” No! No, my body does not give a shit that its allergens are organic!!! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

I've been vegetarian, vegan, and now I'm pescatarian. I had to go back to eating some animal products because I found out (through blood-test) that I'm allergic to so many vegan sources of protein. It's important to do what is healthy (or what works) for your own body, and we're all different. I can relate to so many of you here, and I'm glad that we can all be respectful of our different dietary choices.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 5

36 minutes ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

I've been vegetarian, vegan, and now I'm pescatarian. I had to go back to eating some animal products because I found out (through blood-test) that I'm allergic to so many vegan sources of protein. It's important to do what is healthy (or what works) for your own body, and we're all different. I can relate to so many of you here, and I'm glad that we can all be respectful of our different dietary choices.

I'm wondering about this too.

On the verge of my looming endoscopy I suspect that I have developed a soy intolerance...

I'm having trouble with fruits, vegetables, starches, proteins, acidity blah blah... So I haven't given up my heart yet. It has occurred to me though that I might need to radical things to my diet. If so, then I will have to adjust.

I said once before that ethically sourced meat was better than processed vegan junk food. I hold to that line. It would be hard to do.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

??? I refuse to eat anything my mother cooks for this very reason! She did it three times over the course of about a year (I don’t see her that often). Pissed me off to no end!! Or she would say “but it’s organic! That makes it ok, right?” No! No, my body does not give a shit that its allergens are organic!!! 

Is your mother Zsu Anderson? 

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Also, when I was a vegetarian in the south:

1. Went to someone’s house for dinner: “We know you’re a vegetarian so we made chicken fettuccini!” Totally sincere.

2. In hospital after birth I ordered a veggie burger  which they brought...with a side of bacon

Admittedly this was ten plus years ago so awareness has changed, but bless their hearts!!!

Now that I have celiac I’m thankful to live innPacNW where everyone is almost laughably conscientious!

I’m not sure where you gave birth in the south, but I think things have improved ? I gave birth in September in the Deep South and they kept me well supplied with fruit loops and assorted plants ? it is TOUGH down here though. 

“Is there meat in the beans?”

”nope”

*eats beans, weird metallic taste*

”you sure there’s no meat?”

*eye roll* “bacon grease doesn’t count as meat.”

yes, ma’am, it does ??

• Upvote 9
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Nothing annoys me more though than the joking about sneaking meat into my food or the "just try a little bit" etc stuff. 

I'm an omnivore who has cut way back on beef and is eating more veg -heavy meals - and the above doesn't just annoy me but infuriates me.

You let me know the next time someone does this to you and I'll open a can of whoop-ass on them for you. ?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

13 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

Is your mother Zsu Anderson? 

I’m not sure where you gave birth in the south, but I think things have improved ? I gave birth in September in the Deep South and they kept me well supplied with fruit loops and assorted plants ? it is TOUGH down here though. 

“Is there meat in the beans?”

”nope”

*eats beans, weird metallic taste*

”you sure there’s no meat?”

*eye roll* “bacon grease doesn’t count as meat.”

yes, ma’am, it does ??

South Carolina ?

• Upvote 1

On 12/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, Rachel333 said:

How would it be libel? People do that kind of thing for political figures all the time. All of the following were setup by people opposing these men:

officialmikepence.com

brettkavanaugh.com

joebiden.info (That one is setup by a Trump consultant)

And for fun:

tedcruzforhumanpresident.com

I refuse to listen to this! The lies people propagate...Ted Cruz, a human indeed! Don’t be ridiculous.

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

South Carolina ?

Oh hey I’m from there! 
whereabouts?

Im from the Lake Marion area. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 2

I'm an omnivore, but I notice improvements in my energy levels and digestive health when I'm eating mostly plant based products. I'm not a fan of soy pretending to be meat (tofu dogs, veggie bacon) because I find it less satisfying that the meat versions, and it gives me nasty gas. Then again, too much regular bacon and hot dogs isn't great for the gut either.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I'm having trouble with fruits, vegetables, starches, proteins, acidity blah blah... So I haven't given up my heart yet. It has occurred to me though that I might need to radical things to my diet. If so, then I will have to adjust.

Could you have a FODMAP issue? Things like Apples, Onions, Garlic (and a variety of other foods) are high in FODMAPS which give a number of people IBS problems.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

Could you have a FODMAP issue? Things like Apples, Onions, Garlic (and a variety of other foods) are high in FODMAPS which give a number of people IBS problems.

I was going to suggest this, but I didn't want to give unsolicited health advice! There's also the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). I know someone who has been on this diet for a couple years now, and the diet has helped control IBS and/or Crohn's (I don't remember exactly).

• Upvote 2

The SCD is excellent for reducing inflammation and so is the (aptly called) ’anti inflammatory’ diet. I follow one set my my dietician and am happy to share details if you’re interested. 
I found that introducing a range of probiotics helped to counter some of my symptoms but I did it carefully with my dietician so that SIBO wasn’t an issue. You can overload your gut even when the bacteria is healthy.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Someone Out There said:

Maybe, but at the moment I am thinking not. The very specific thing that happens is that I gag. Violent esophageal spasming. If it goes down, most stuff stays in there pretty well. It could be enzymes, acid, or, of course the big C (doubtful), perhaps a structural issue.

It's hella annoying. Since I've not been able to afford the test till now I've done a lot of of that kind of restriction informally. Limiting acidity helps and I'm on daily Prilosec. But that's not what I would call a long term solution.

My lab work didn't indicate need for a colonoscopy either.

We'll see?

But no worries about suggestions. ?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

You all are making me think of My Big Fat Greek Wedding

I was also thinking of this scene! However, it is much easier than one would think (based on this movie) to eat vegetarian (even vegan) in Greece! My mom is Greek and I have been to Greece every year since I was born. In Greek-Orthodox religion there are quite some days during the year where people fast. Especially in the period (couple of weeks) before Easter. During this fasting, no animal products are consumed (with the weird exception of octopus). The fasting is being called "nistia" and the dishes that are eaten while doing nistia are called "nistisima" ("nistisimo" singular). I even own a cookbook with exclusively nistisima recipes. So, if you're ever visiting Greece as a vegan or vegetarian, just ask for a dish that follows the rules of nistia and you should be completely fine!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic