IGNORED

JinJer 51: Can't Even Sell Donuts!

Destiny

They have to have the ability to travel out of state. For most middle class kids that's not an issue. Rural kids get support from various places (scholarships, native corporations, shareholder dividends, PFDs if their parents saved them for them.) Poor kids from Anchorage often don't have the ability to manage this system. We also don't know what the future of WWAMI will be like, as Dunleavy tries to kill the state through his "opening a conversation" bullshit. 

It is not at all uncommon for students to go to Medical School in states other than their own.  Travel expenses are a common cost of a medical education.  Med School is extremely competitive and the AVERAGE med school candidate sends initial applications to 15 schools.  If they are interested in you, you are then invited to submit a secondary application which may or may not result in an interview and maybe an offer of admission.  As the current med students that I know have said, you go where you get in. 

The WWAMI program has been in existence since the 1970's.  It is unlikely that your governor will dismantle the program.

I actually did not know that. The fact that those things are available independent of parental support would have been nice to know back when I choose to end my education due to lack of financial support. Navigating the college system in the US is garbage for anyone who doesn't have involved parents or a counselor to help. 

I don't think this information is necessarily common knowledge to most parents - college educated or not.  This information is available in every college financial aid office.  It is prominently displayed when you complete the FASFA form.  It is included in the loan counseling required by law that every student must complete in order to make student loan funds available for disbursement.  It is also easily found by googling "independent college student"

This is well known - students in Alaska have advantages to getting into colleges

Diversity is not so much about administration bragging rights as it is about strength of the student body.  Having 5,000 identical clones in a class is not a recipe for success.  The reality of higher education is where many students try and fail.  Homesickness, changes in food, the stress of being surrounded by thousands of peers, new cultural norms are all common stressors on young college students regardless of locale.  Alaska does have a higher college dropout rate than other states, but that is likely equally attributed to the Alaskan economy and the most prevalent jobs in the area and their educational requirements.

Looks like they ranked Fairbanks #263 nationally. UAA isn't even nationally ranked, 

US News groups colleges and universities in order to make valid comparisons.  Schools are grouped by academic mission into 10 distinct rankings.  UA Fairbanks falls under the National Universities category and was ranked 263.  UA Anchorage falls under the Regional Universities West category and was ranked #62.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

On 1/10/2020 at 1:00 AM, Maggie Mae said:

My state doesn't have a medical school or a law school. So they might get a scholarship, but if their parents can't find the cash to put them on a plane to send them to the lower 48 (and secure housing, pay for a meal plan if it's not covered by scholarship), it's UA for them! Which is an awful school, and I recommend no one go there. Fairbanks campus is OK, but with the state cutting the funding by 40% last here, there's no guarantee that the program you start will be there in a year or two. 

I'm sad to read this! I did a semester at UA when I was 16 since my fundie light parents thought I was too young to move down to the lower 48 to attend my older sibling's university. I attended the satellite campus on Eielson AFB though and not the actual campus, but I still have a soft spot for UA since that was my first taste of semi-freedom* and near-adulthood.

Edited by coexist
Clarified. Felt like freedom. Definitely was not freedom.
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Born Skeptic said:

It is not at all uncommon for students to go to Medical School in states other than their own.  Travel expenses are a common cost of a medical education.  Med School is extremely competitive and the AVERAGE med school candidate sends initial applications to 15 schools.  If they are interested in you, you are then invited to submit a secondary application which may or may not result in an interview and maybe an offer of admission.  As the current med students that I know have said, you go where you get in. 

And that is a stumbling block for some people. Obviously you've never been poor. 

The WWAMI program has been in existence since the 1970's.  It is unlikely that your governor will dismantle the program

We don't know what this jackass will do. He's Trump Junior, and he's already tried to cut the university by 40%, which sent shockwaves across the state. Students are telling other people DO NOT GO HERE. Teachers are telling people DO NOT GO HERE. If you don't know if your program will exist next year, why ivest? 

I don't think this information is necessarily common knowledge to most parents - college educated or not.  This information is available in every college financial aid office.  It is prominently displayed when you complete the FASFA form.  It is included in the loan counseling required by law that every student must complete in order to make student loan funds available for disbursement.  It is also easily found by googling "independent college student"

It's not.  And who the FUCK knows to "google" "independent college student" when all you are told is "you have to submit your parent's financial information until you are 26, regardless if they want to help you or not."

Alaska does have a higher college dropout rate than other states, but that is likely equally attributed to the Alaskan economy and the most prevalent jobs in the area and their educational requirements.

Try talking to an Alaska Student sometime. I've done it for over 10 years. It's a huge cultural shock. 

US News groups colleges and universities in order to make valid comparisons.  Schools are grouped by academic mission into 10 distinct rankings.  UA Fairbanks falls under the National Universities category and was ranked 263.  UA Anchorage falls under the Regional Universities West category and was ranked #62.  

Yes. You are LITERALLY repeating why I just said. UAA is a garbage school and no one should go there. What's your deal? Are you Mike Dunleavy? Stop trying to whitewash the problems that this state has. 

5 minutes ago, coexist said:

I'm sad to read this! I did a semester at UA when I was 16 since my fundie light parents thought I was too young to move down to the lower 48 to attend my older sibling's university. I attended the extension campus on Eielson AFB though, but I still have a soft spot for UA since that was my first taste of semi-freedom* and near-adulthood.

Dunleavy is a jackass, and he hates this state. He's a fundamentalist women hating christian and his first order of business was trying to close one of the Universities. UAF is a much better school than UAA. UAS is so far away from either of the two "biggest cities" it was sort of protected. He's so god awful, there's a Recall going through the courts right now. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Yes. You are LITERALLY repeating why I just said. UAA is a garbage school and no one should go there. What's your deal? Are you Mike Dunleavy? Stop trying to whitewash the problems that this state has. 

I absolutely did not repeat what you said.  I pointed out that the two schools are in different categories and therefore are not ranked in the same manner.  Being a regional university does not equate to being a "garbage school".  Literally it means that the school is more focused on undergraduate education and offers fewer Masters and Doctoral level programs.  Many well respected schools are classified as Regional Universities.

I have a level of expertise in college and university admissions and funding.  I have simply tried to point out inaccuracies in your statements.  You are obviously so angry at the perceived injustices you have suffered that you are unable to look at things logically.  I am not going to continue to engage with you.  

Back to your regularly scheduled Jinger snark.

• Upvote 3

I know literally nothing about colleges anymore, but it almost sounds like the attitude about Alaska colleges being bad could be a self fulfilling problem. If everybody says they are bad and no one should go there, no one goes there. If no one goes there, why fund them? 

Student loans are horrendous! Neither my husband or son have used their college degrees in their fields of study, but still had the loans to pay off. 

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

I absolutely did not repeat what you said.  I pointed out that the two schools are in different categories and therefore are not ranked in the same manner.  Being a regional university does not equate to being a "garbage school".  Literally it means that the school is more focused on undergraduate education and offers fewer Masters and Doctoral level programs.  Many well respected schools are classified as Regional Universities.

You didn't say that. You repeated that it was ranked #62, which isn't exactly something to write home about.

I have a level of expertise in college and university admissions and funding.  I have simply tried to point out inaccuracies in your statements. 

I have a level of experience with UAA. 

Back to your regularly scheduled Jinger snark.

You don't get to police other people's experience or the thread.

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I know literally nothing about colleges anymore, but it almost sounds like the attitude about Alaska colleges being bad could be a self fulfilling problem. If everybody says they are bad and no one should go there, no one goes there. If no one goes there, why fund them? 

Oh, people go there. UAF has a great campus and is doing excellent things for climate research. 

UAA is located in the population center, so people go there out of convenience. The tech school has low graduation rates in some programs because students are often hires before they finish. 

Dunleavy proposed those cuts because he's a anti-education racist Bible thumper tea party libertarian. He wanted to punish UAF for their climate research, not realizing that UA would keep that before theMat-Su campus.

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Student loans are horrendous! Neither my husband or son have used their college degrees in their fields of study, but still had the loans to pay off. 

I had to use student loans because my parents made too much money but also weren't paying for college. I'm not using either of my degrees right now, and I'd like to go back to school as it seems you need a master's these days for anything even slightly above entry level jobs. 

It's frequently said around here that "it's not what you degree is, it's that you have one" ..it's true. I worked with someone who had a master's in something completely unrelated to much of anything, yet everyone was so excited to hear "master's degree."

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

When I willingly pay my plumber who has a high school diploma, I know where we went wrong. I wouldn't want to be plumber, but do I ever appreciate him and pay gladly.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

2 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

As @Maggie Mae said, people absolutely do go there, many of them because they have no other choice. But this 40% cut in funding just happened in the last year and will have catastrophic effects on the UA system. I’m an academic originally from Southeast Alaska, and all the professors who can, unless they have deep local roots, are leaving UAS, and that’s the relatively protected campus. Even there everyone is getting pay cuts and tenured professors will be let go. The university has declared a state of emergency. Whole programs will be shut down.

And it’s all political. A lot of Republicans in Alaska are deeply anti-intellectual religious conservatives who think universities are spreading Satan’s message and would be delighted if they only taught gun safety and oil development. These people left the lower 48 to escape the modern world and since the 80s they’ve been infecting my beautiful home state with fundamentalist isolationism.  They’re imposing that vision on the Native communities that have been there forever and on anyone who grew up there and lacks the resources to get out. And you need substantial resources to get out. The whole thing makes me absolutely sick. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3

17 minutes ago, raspberrymint said:

We?

People have circumstances beyond their control.  A union job is a far step up from homelessness. 

We  - my husband and I. 

Actually our plumber is an independent , no union.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

We  - my husband and I. 

Actually our plumber is an independent , no union.

I see.  My wife is looking into a union job, but the training for plumbing is five years if we understand correctly and we don't plan to be in the area that long.  We'd make more truck driving if it came down to it, but over the road truck driving so gone 90% of the time.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Exchange Atheist said:

I just stumbled upon Jinger on Spotify. She has published a motivation playlist using her influencer logo thingy. Kind of freaky that she’s invading my normal life like this. 

I suppose at least she didn’t put any tracks from her sisters’ album on there.None of the marrieds did a shout out to John & Abbie about the baby, did they?  Maybe they are bored with it all too! 

• Upvote 4

It’s probably hard for the siblings to keep up with each other, too. They (JB & M) love playing up the “one big happy family “ narrative, but I’m sure even some of the kids are over the influx of grandkids at this point.

How many nieces & nephews can people (who are also raising young children) have a close real with? Yes, they probably have a couple they do and will maintain that specialness, but realistically the cousins just get lost in the shuffle. There are simply too many people. 

I only have 6 nieces & nephews and I remember by #5 I felt happy for my brother, but wasn’t anywhere near as excited as I was for the first couple. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

It’s probably hard for the siblings to keep up with each other, too. They (JB & M) love playing up the “one big happy family “ narrative, but I’m sure even some of the kids are over the influx of grandkids at this point.

How many nieces & nephews can people (who are also raising young children) have a close real with? Yes, they probably have a couple they do and will maintain that specialness, but realistically the cousins just get lost in the shuffle. There are simply too many people. 

I only have 6 nieces & nephews and I remember by #5 I felt happy for my brother, but wasn’t anywhere near as excited as I was for the first couple. 

We have 14 kids under age 11 in our family between my husband and I and his three sisters. (Five of them are ours.) After each couple had their second kid the excitement wears a off. Like yeah, we are happy for them and it’s great news but we aren’t rushing over there anymore. It’s simply a lot of kids and we are all busy.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

It's mostly a question of distance for me. I am in Williamsburg. My husband's sister's daughter is 15 minutes from us. My sister and her 3 girls are in South Carolina and we generally see them twice a year. My brother is in Arizona and his youngest daughter is 3. I have never met her only her older sister. I am becoming less vigilant about sending them Christmas presents. It's becoming just a birthday present and a card. My other four nieces get both birthday and Christmas presents.  It's nothing personal, truly. It's just what I can manage between 6 girls. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Sadly this is very true. Due to my dad's two previous marriages with a child each before my mom, I was aunt to 5 nephews and 1 niece before I was 14. No way I was in a position to care for or mentor them at that age and I have a very causal relationship with them and their parents. My numerous cousins near my age on my mom's side (she has 5 sisters) have all had 2+ kids and I really can't keep up with it all. My husband's only sibling has a 2 yr old daughter (and a son on the way). My niece is the number one child in my life and she's spoiled rotten bc we live close and I'm finally mature and financially stable enough to really be a part of her upbringing. I feel bad about my other nephews and niece that weren't brought up with a true aunt as well as the loose relationships I have with my cousins' kids (who were like siblings to me growing up).

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, SeverelyServingJeebus said:

Sadly this is very true. Due to my dad's two previous marriages with a child each before my mom, I was aunt to 5 nephews and 1 niece before I was 14. No way I was in a position to care for or mentor them at that age and I have a very causal relationship with them and their parents. My numerous cousins near my age on my mom's side (she has 5 sisters) have all had 2+ kids and I really can't keep up with it all. My husband's only sibling has a 2 yr old daughter (and a son on the way). My niece is the number one child in my life and she's spoiled rotten bc we live close and I'm finally mature and financially stable enough to really be a part of her upbringing. I feel bad about my other nephews and niece that weren't brought up with a true aunt as well as the loose relationships I have with my cousins' kids (who were like siblings to me growing up).

Sounds similar to me. I had 7 nieces and nephews by the time I was 13 because of my dad's previous marriage and my half sisters having their kids fairly young. I did do a lot of babysitting for them when I was old enough so I was close to all but my oldest sister's 2 kids growing up but it was kind of a weird dynamic where I was still a kid myself but didn't want to be lumped in with the nieces and nephews...Since then my one half sister went on to have two more kids later in life and my full-blooded sister has 2 kids and 2 more on the way. My husband has 9 nieces and nephews currently and two sisters who are still too young for kids yet (another split family) soooo that is a lot to keep up with. That and I'm one of like 30 first cousins since my mom had 8 siblings and my dad had 5 siblings- that's a lot of people to remember and stay up to date with- its pretty impossible. I was just invited to my cousin's girlfriend's baby shower and my sister and I were questioning whether or not we had ever even met this woman before and what our obligation was to travel to their baby shower. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

On 1/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, Maggie Mae said:

You didn't say that. You repeated that it was ranked #62, which isn't exactly something to write home about.

I have a level of experience with UAA. 

You don't get to police other people's experience or the thread.

Oh, people go there. UAF has a great campus and is doing excellent things for climate research. 

UAA is located in the population center, so people go there out of convenience. The tech school has low graduation rates in some programs because students are often hires before they finish. 

Dunleavy proposed those cuts because he's a anti-education racist Bible thumper tea party libertarian. He wanted to punish UAF for their climate research, not realizing that UA would keep that before theMat-Su campus.

I had to use student loans because my parents made too much money but also weren't paying for college. I'm not using either of my degrees right now, and I'd like to go back to school as it seems you need a master's these days for anything even slightly above entry level jobs. 

It's frequently said around here that "it's not what you degree is, it's that you have one" ..it's true. I worked with someone who had a master's in something completely unrelated to much of anything, yet everyone was so excited to hear "master's degree."

I was told it would be helpful to have a degree, it hasn't done jack shit for me. My kids are college age DS HATES school, he's taken a few classes here and there at a local community college, but anything to hard and he bails. He just doesn't want to do it. DD on the other hand is 1/2 through her sophomore year. She's up to her eyeballs in debt, now because she has to live on campus as the school is 2.5 hours away. She's wanting to go to dental school, so she could have almost $150k in student loan debt when she graduates. We don't make enough to send her and her brother to school, so we didn't pay for either of them. 

And she is looking at out of state schools, for Grad school, to go to the UofI for dental school is like $86k a year, which is outrageous, it isn't even a top 30 dental school, you can go to some of those for less money.  So she will most likely going to school a over a thousand miles away. :sad:

Oh and as for wearing school apparel of schools you didn't attend, DH & I rock our Hawkeye Mom or Hawkeye Dad shirts, This is a bit sacrilege for me as I attended Iowa State University, but I also rock their apparel, my brother & I love to smack talk each other schools. But I will say as a parent, I LOVE how the UofI treat their students as family, their motto is, once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye, made me warm up a bit to the school. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

On 1/12/2020 at 10:56 AM, Idlewild said:

I suppose at least she didn’t put any tracks from her sisters’ album on there.

At least she has some taste! 

@allthegoodnamesrgone,  if your daughter is interested in dental school she might want to look into an armed forces or public health service scholarship.  Yes, you do need to serve a few years after you finish professional school, but it's a great way to avoid a mountain of debt.  There's also a program that forgives loans for working for work in the Indian Health Service.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2020 at 11:07 PM, FleeJanaFree said:

This is a bit much. Im a nanny who doesn't use her associates degree. The last guy I dated was a doctor who attended Ivy League schools. I was intimated to even go on a date with him, but we didn't have too much trouble casting about topics to discuss. Family, experiences, food, music, tv, books, friends, hopes, dreams, etc. I'd probably be bored dating the exact opposite of myself.

I don't think anyone is saying that it's necessarily the amount of education--lots of reasons lots of people don't have degrees and that's nothing to do with their intelligence or their interests. But we're talking about Jeremy and Jinger here, and while is is certainly much better educated than Jinger, he fancies himself some sort of erudite scholar, and she comes from a background with massive deficiencies that she seems to have no interest in overcoming--she likes books because Jeremy likes books. She says she is a lover of all things classical although I doubt she even knows what things are classical. She isn't taking courses, even in her supposedly passions of photography or "the culinary arts."
I interviewed and got to know a man who learned to read when he was 50 (his name is Estel Sizemore and they made a movie based on his story, so some may have heard of him). Wonderful man. He could not read well enough to read from a menu or take a bus or visit a friend in the hospital. His wife was an insurance adjuster.
He told me that many, many illiterate adults are married to people who are not only literate but often highly educated and accomplished. And when the illiterate spouse learns to read, the couples often get divorced. So yes, I think that often when there is such a huge discrepancy, control is a huge issue. And I can certainly see Jeremy falling into that category.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 7

On 1/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I actually did not know that. The fact that those things are available independent of parental support would have been nice to know back when I choose to end my education due to lack of financial support. Navigating the college system in the US is garbage for anyone who doesn't have involved parents or a counselor to help.

While it's true that grad students are automatically considered independent (no parental information or participation need) for federal aid purposes, simply saying that by itself doesn't mean much. The only federal need-based program that applies to graduate students is Federal Work Study, which isn't super helpful for them, usually. There are no federal grants for graduate students, only for undergraduates (Pell and SEOG). My state, NY, also doesn't have any need-based state grants for graduate students. For most people, the only way being independent of parents would be helpful for graduate students is if the university itself offers need-based money for them - which is way less common than people think. Most free money for graduate students is based on their academic record and/or research pursuits.

The financial aid system in this country is absolutely hot garbage. I work at a private university and students get overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and lose out on opportunities because of it all the time. We try to help as much as we can but the system is just ridiculous.

Re: the discussion about first gen students - again, there are no widespread programs for this, but many schools try to give extra counseling and guidance to students who are coming from families with no college background. There is a HUGE gap in knowledge between students who have had no one in their family attend college vs those who have, even if their family members did not complete degrees. Just having someone who applied and attended, regardless of the outcome, is really helpful.

• Upvote 7

On 1/16/2020 at 10:48 AM, Eponine said:

There is a HUGE gap in knowledge between students who have had no one in their family attend college vs those who have, even if their family members did not complete degrees. Just having someone who applied and attended, regardless of the outcome, is really helpful.

On a workplace forum elsewhere it has been discussed that there is also a gap in those entering the workforce in white collar professions who have parents/family with professional/executive careers as opposed to not.  Just the million little things you absorb over the years without thinking about it.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 11

A number of colleges with big endowments can be surprisingly affordable.

At Harvard, for instance, If your family makes under $65,000, then the tuition is free. If you make under $150,000, then it is ten percent of your income, which is likely less than your state school. Families are still eligible for financial aid even if they make up to $250,000.

I know Rice University in Houston has financial aid that is even more generous than Harvard's. If you have a successful student who's college-bound, it's worth exploring many schools that you might assume are out of reach. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic