IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

We don’t know what else the girls got for Christmas. We only heard about the gift cards because they were Steve and Teri’s gifts. We know they spent time with Melanie’s family and we don’t know what they got from them. They probably also got a couple of other gifts, they’ve explained how they do gift-giving before. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

There's a very cool-sounding mosquito zapper that I keep meaning to look into. It uses a propane tank to generate CO2 so it only lures mosquitos. You place it a short distance away from where people are hanging out but it's supposed to clear up to 1/4 acre or so. I'd probably put the deceased mosquitos out on a tray for the birds, to assuage my guilt, though.

That sounds like a Mosquito Magnet.  Putting the dead skeeters out for the birds sounds like a good idea. 

We'd not have so damn many mosquitos if my husband would have proper rain barrels instead of just a couple of open trash can collecting rain.  The mosquitos don't bother him, but they do some of my granddaughters and me.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:45 AM, browngrl said:

Me too. Would it have killed Steve and Teri to get a drink? How hard would it have been to get some water or if they were feeling wild and crazy - a cup of tea or coffee.  

I know I’m being nit-picky but...

in looking at the photo- I’m wondering if each child only ordered one item? That doesn’t seem like much food for “lunch”. ( Maybe, we are gluttons at my house. IDK )   I would worry the girls would leave the restaurant hungry- if one thing each ( plus a glass of water)  is all they ordered. 

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, Starrynight said:

in looking at the photo- I’m wondering if each child only ordered one item? That doesn’t seem like much food for “lunch”. ( Maybe, we are gluttons at my house. IDK )   I would worry the girls would leave the restaurant hungry- if one thing each ( plus a glass of water)  is all they ordered. 

Steve rations animal crackers (which the bible clearly says need to be eaten by the handful) and Teri has fine tuned her Thanksgiving meal so each person got 2 (3?) tablespoons of mashed potatoes.

I would bet hard they weren't given carte blanche with the menu.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

The mosquitos don't bother him, but they do some of my granddaughters and me.  

Me too.  I'm A- blood type and I read somewhere mosquitoes aren't supposed to like me, but I must be extra delicious because they not only feast, but tell all their friends.

I'm like a skeeter pop up restaurant.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Jesse Maxwell spotting on Carver Bowers’ insta. I’m wondering if he is seeing Allison and Chelsy’s friend Rachel (she’s next to Jesse).

Or is that Celia Craig, not Rachel Craig? 

45AC98C3-2E68-42E2-87D3-DDAC4C0791EE.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jesse Maxwell spotting on Carver Bowers’ insta. I’m wondering if he is seeing Allison and Chelsy’s friend Rachel (she’s next to Jesse).

Or is that Celia Craig, not Rachel Craig? 

45AC98C3-2E68-42E2-87D3-DDAC4C0791EE.jpeg

Celia is the one next to Jesse, I believe. Rachael isn't even in the pic.  It looks like quite a few of the Craig family is in the pic (going off of pictures from their family website, Heritage Hill Music).

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

Celia is the one next to Jesse, I believe. Rachael isn't even in the pic.  It looks like quite a few of the Craig family is in the pic (going off of pictures from their family website, Heritage Hill Music).

I agree it looks more like Celia. There are 4 young adult Craig girls but I think Rachel and Celia are the oldest girls. I think Anna and Ella are the younger ones. The Craig’s do the Bible Bee and are friends with the Bontragers. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

Hmm, I wonder if we'll get a "Surprise, Jesse got married!" post soon.

I'm not familiar with the Craig family.  Might they spill the beans about an engagement like Chelsy's family did?

• Upvote 12

7 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Hmm, I wonder if we'll get a "Surprise, Jesse got married!" post soon.

I'm not familiar with the Craig family.  Might they spill the beans about an engagement like Chelsy's family did?

I don’t think they have a huge online presence so I doubt it. They live in Ohio and it just seems weird that Jesse would be hanging out with the Bowers boys and Craig girls without some sort of relationship. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t think they have a huge online presence so I doubt it. They live in Ohio and it just seems weird that Jesse would be hanging out with the Bowers boys and Craig girls without some sort of relationship. 

I think the Maxwells have a plenty of friends we don't know about. But non-related "friends" are off brand so we only get glimpses.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

Jesse is what, 25 now?  My gut tells me he's actively trying to find a courtship partner this year. I sense he's more of the quiet type and needs a little help socializing with non-Maxwell females.  But I'll tip my cap to you, @JermajestyDuggar for finding this picture if a Craig daughter turns out to be wed to a Maxwell!

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

We'd not have so damn many mosquitos if my husband would have proper rain barrels instead of just a couple of open trash can collecting rain.  The mosquitos don't bother him, but they do some of my granddaughters and me.  

Trash cans are fine but they have to be covered with something like old window screens so the mosquitos can't get in. Or use the mosquito dunks that kill the larvae (they're a non-toxic biological control). I assume you live in an area where there are no mosquito-born diseases, or the health dept. would be all over him for the open containers. Lots of West Nile virus and equine encephalitis around here.

• Upvote 4

@Black Aliss,  he's used both the mosquito dunks and window screens before and they might have helped, but the stupid thing is is that he doesn't use the collected water very much.  We just need to arrange to siphon that water into the nearest storm drain or something.  We sure don't need two barrels of water sitting so near the foundation of our house.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Starrynight said:

There's at least one unwrapped item on the table. I'm also not that worried about it. Most of taco bell's items are "one is enough" except for the tacos. Not everyone likes soda or wants their kids to drink it. It's lunch, not dinner, and they probably eat well enough at home. I'm more concerned about the fact that Terri/Steve think that "Taco Bell" is a great place to "treat" their grandchildren*. This wasn't a random Saturday, it was supposed to be a part of their Christmas present! Spring for sit down service.

*I'm not being snobby, my grandparents took me and my cousin out for breakfast and "senior coffee" at some fast food place when we were young, but it wasn't ever considered "a present." We also weren't allowed free reign, because that's ridiculous and you end up with wasted food and a huge bill, especially where there is much better food at home.

9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Black Aliss,  he's used both the mosquito dunks and window screens before and they might have helped, but the stupid thing is is that he doesn't use the collected water very much.  We just need to arrange to siphon that water into the nearest storm drain or something.  We sure don't need two barrels of water sitting so near the foundation of our house.

Stagnant water breeds mosquitoes! Tell him to either use it or lose it!

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's at least one unwrapped item on the table. I'm also not that worried about it. Most of taco bell's items are "one is enough" except for the tacos. Not everyone likes soda or wants their kids to drink it. It's lunch, not dinner, and they probably eat well enough at home. I'm more concerned about the fact that Terri/Steve think that "Taco Bell" is a great place to "treat" their grandchildren*. This wasn't a random Saturday, it was supposed to be a part of their Christmas present! Spring for sit down service.

That reminds me of long ago when we took our kids to their first sit down Mexican restaurant.  Youngest son who was about four years old then wouldn't eat and demanded we go to the " REAL Taco Bell"!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

@Maggie Mae, normally I would agree with you about Taco Bell being a disappointing trip. In this case, their lives are so regimented, I can see the girls being truly thrilled about being able to go and even being the highlight of their Christmas. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

According to Poor Sarah the shopping trip took place on Monday, Sunday is Burrito Day at the fathership so most likely those poor girls ate Mexican two days in a row and I'm sure Wonder Woman Melanie? sneaks in a burrito lunch in once a week for her kids.  We know Amish Anna has a freezer full of them.  

Edited by SPHASH
Typo
  • Upvote 1

Well, it is only Monday here and I have had Mexican food 3 times in the last 5 days, plus Taco Bell once with my pregnant sister so I am really in no place to judge. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

I love Taco Bell! Bean burrito and a regular nacho Doritos Locos Taco is my order. (With a Dr. Pepper if I'm feeling a little crazy, 'cause I'm a Pepper!)

• Upvote 5

Taco Bell is the best place for a vegetarian. Beans can be subbed into everything on the menu. And now you can do black beans! Also, they'll customize any of the other stuff, light or extra or leave off any of the components. They have a machine inside the store where you can do it yourself. It helps my tummy a bit to minimize the spicy, sour cream and tomatoes.

I read an article saying that they're looking to start hiring management in the range of 100,000 in order to attract more quality candidates!

I'm not sure I legit believe that. I would think fast food management makes 40-45000.. significantly less.  I may take a gander. I'm pretty sure I'd consider running a Taco Bell franchise if that's possible. I could do it.

Any of you know anyone who is a fast food manager? Out of curiosity I'm wondering what that salary range tends to be.

• Upvote 5

I love Taco Bell too. Actually I love most fast food, but I really can't eat it much anymore because I feel so sick after I do. My sister is in the first trimester morning sickness and is having trouble holding anything down so when we were out and she wanted Taco Bell I took one for the team and ate every delicious bite knowing that I would pay for it later. ? 

7 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Any of you know anyone who is a fast food manager? Out of curiosity I'm wondering what that salary range tends to be.

It really seems to vary by area. My uncle was a manager at McDonalds for quite awhile and he was making $60,000+ several years ago BUT it was a higher cost of living area I am sure that brought up his salary some. My other uncle was a General Manager at a major grocery chain and he made really good money, though I have no idea on figures. He started as a bagger when he was 16 and worked his way through the ranks. He retired after working for the same company for 42 years. 

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Well, it is only Monday here and I have had Mexican food 3 times in the last 5 days, plus Taco Bell once with my pregnant sister so I am really in no place to judge. 

I'm not even sure that "Mexican" food is really "Mexican" anymore. it's a staple of most Americans life at this point, and it comes from ingredients that were regionally available. I certainly would eat chicken tacos one day, carne asada the next, a burrito for lunch, then make some enchiladas for a special weekend dinner and think nothing of it. Throw in some shrimp or halibut tacos and I'm set for a while. Hell, I don't even know what "American" food even is anymore. Between all the different ways to use tortillas, various curries, lumpia, ramen, other noodled soups (pho, mostly), I'm not sure what I eat that qualifies as "american" food.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm not even sure that "Mexican" food is really "Mexican" anymore. it's a staple of most Americans life at this point, and it comes from ingredients that were regionally available. I certainly would eat chicken tacos one day, carne asada the next, a burrito for lunch, then make some enchiladas for a special weekend dinner and think nothing of it. Throw in some shrimp or halibut tacos and I'm set for a while. Hell, I don't even know what "American" food even is anymore. Between all the different ways to use tortillas, various curries, lumpia, ramen, other noodled soups (pho, mostly), I'm not sure what I eat that qualifies as "american" food.

We eat a pretty wide variety in general at my house. I am half Italian so I make a lot of my favorite dishes that way my grandmother used to make them. But more than half my family is Mexican, so I grew up helping my aunts make tamales and mole, etc.. My ex-step mom is Indian so I learned a few dishes. DH lived in Korea for 2 years so he makes a lot of Korean cuisine. My older daughter loved homemade Udon and Ramen so we make both pretty regularly and my son loves curry, especially Thai red curry so that is another staple. 

But we still eat some of what I consider "American food" too.  This weekend I made my first prime rib in the smoker and we had that with rolls and brussels sprouts. The weekend before that we had pulled pork, baked beans and cole slaw. Tonight I am making up clam chowder with a salad and sour dough. Honestly we just really love food in our house. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

We eat a pretty wide variety in general at my house. I am half Italian so I make a lot of my favorite dishes that way my grandmother used to make them. But more than half my family is Mexican, so I grew up helping my aunts make tamales and mole, etc.. My ex-step mom is Indian so I learned a few dishes. DH lived in Korea for 2 years so he makes a lot of Korean cuisine. My older daughter loved homemade Udon and Ramen so we make both pretty regularly and my son loves curry, especially Thai red curry so that is another staple. 

But we still eat some of what I consider "American food" too.  This weekend I made my first prime rib in the smoker and we had that with rolls and brussels sprouts. The weekend before that we had pulled pork, baked beans and cole slaw. Tonight I am making up clam chowder with a salad and sour dough. Honestly we just really love food in our house. 

Might I introduce you to the cooking club where you can share your love...along with your recipes?

And everyone else who enjoys cooking, or eating.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I love Taco Bell too. Actually I love most fast food, but I really can't eat it much anymore because I feel so sick after I do. My sister is in the first trimester morning sickness and is having trouble holding anything down so when we were out and she wanted Taco Bell I took one for the team and ate every delicious bite knowing that I would pay for it later. ? 

It really seems to vary by area. My uncle was a manager at McDonalds for quite awhile and he was making $60,000+ several years ago BUT it was a higher cost of living area I am sure that brought up his salary some. My other uncle was a General Manager at a major grocery chain and he made really good money, though I have no idea on figures. He started as a bagger when he was 16 and worked his way through the ranks. He retired after working for the same company for 42 years. 

Interesting. Your “other uncle” could be my husband. Does he currently work in another grocery related industry in CA? Exact.same.story. Yep, and I can attest, really good money, especially the bonuses and other payouts aside from the salary.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic