IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

On 11/28/2019 at 8:11 AM, PennySycamore said:

And, damn!, I just remembered that I was going to make Auntie Barbara's tomato soup cake.  I think I have the ingredients so I might make one still.  I'm not quite running on all cylinders yet after my trip.

Recipe, please.

Coward Steve's step mom Cecile commented on the Thanksgiving post.  Griselda Teri even called her "Grandma Cecile".

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, VVV said:

Recipe, please.

I don't know if it's the recipe auntie Barbara made, but I have the recipe that was in Yankee magazine in the fall of 1978.  It sounds similar and may be the recipe she made at Thanksgiving '78.  I'll try to post it tomorrow.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 11/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, Granwych said:

Cat lady , here’s the best way I’ve learned to peel hard boiled eggs:

after eggs have are cooked, drain water leaving eggs in pot.  Shake  pot vigorously from side to side so eggshells are cracked.  Fill pot with cold water from faucet and peel eggs under running water.  Usually works like a charm unless eggs are super fresh-/best let them wait a week or so in fridge)

please forgive me if I’ve posted this before.  We eat a lot of hard boiled eggs ( keeping chickens helps)  so I fix at least 2 dozen a week .

I do something similar, but put the hot, just-cooked eggs into a big container of icewater, seal the lid shut, and shake away. My local Stop & Shop used to carry medium-sized eggs, which made the deviled eggs littler and cuter.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I would guess that Steve declined an invite to John and Chelsey's on account of his strict new diet. Also it's fine if John wants to eat the weird food, like stuffed mushrooms, that Chelsey cooks, but Steve and the Stayathomes don't do weird food.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

Yeah, I wonder what Steve and Teri did for their Thanksgiving meal given that they’re vegan now, and what the Kidults did. Obviously I know you can have a vegan Thanksgiving but I’m just curious how Steve and Teri handled it. 
I found their post about their diet and saw this comment in a comment reply by Teri:

As to our children’s diet, our “dear youngsters” aren’t youngsters but adults, and they make their own decisions.

We don’t dictate what they do and don’t do, including their diets.

What utter horseshit, Teri.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

I have a friend who’s a magnificent vegan cook (largely for health reasons, as she’s a Type 1 diabetic). I can guarantee she’d be appalled at whatever showed up on the Maxhell Thanksgiving table.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, Hane said:

My local Stop & Shop used to carry medium-sized eggs, which made the deviled eggs littler and cuter.

ANGEL EGGS!!!!!!     :56247961de1fe_AnimeExpressionsareoverdoneXD:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, Hane said:

I do something similar, but put the hot, just-cooked eggs into a big container of icewater, seal the lid shut, and shake away. My local Stop & Shop used to carry medium-sized eggs, which made the deviled eggs littler and cuter.

Yup, that would work. Wouldn’t you know I’m  making some deviled eggs right now.   I cooked a 20 lb turkey , took all the meat off and simmered the carcass.  Tomorrow I’ll bring my brother -in-law some turkey soup and deviled eggs.   We’re expecting snow, rain, and snow again till Tuesday—shoot, so are you!   Stay safe and hope you don’t lose power.

15 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

ANGEL EGGS!!!!!!     :56247961de1fe_AnimeExpressionsareoverdoneXD:

Sometimes a hen will lay a very tiny egg which is all white and no yellow.   I call ‘em fairy eggs.  Quail eggs would be cute too.

• Upvote 6

On 11/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, MamaJunebug said:

Slightly changing direction: somehow I’m now FB following Grace Maher — sister-in-law of Nathan Max via his marriage to Melanie Maher — and she is class-y while also apparently doing moderately well in the Nashville music scene. 

I devoutly hope her Maxwell nieces know her and get to spend time with her. What a great role model for the ABC’s to be able to see a young woman living an unfettered life! 

You gotta love Grace—she sings country songs, wears tank tops and shorts, performs with male band mates, and moved to Nashville with just her dog.   I hope that Nathan doesn’t discourage his and Melanie’s kids from seeing her when she’s in town.  Steve must have had apoplexy (not Plexus, lol)

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Yeah, I wonder what Steve and Teri did for their Thanksgiving meal given that they’re vegan now, and what the Kidults did. Obviously I know you can have a vegan Thanksgiving but I’m just curious how Steve and Teri handled it. 
I found their post about their diet and saw this comment in a comment reply by Teri:

What utter horseshit, Teri.

I don't think Steve and Teri are "vegan" how we think "vegan." In the diet post Teri did mention that she and Steve occasionally eat meat and dairy, but not a lot. So, I wonder if Steve and Teri minimized their meat and dairy consumption compared to last year. For some reason, I don't see the Maxwell kidults and the ones who have families being okay with vegan Thanksgiving. 

• Upvote 7

On 11/29/2019 at 1:36 AM, anachronistic said:

quote from the article 

““There are people who live in Plymouth who don’t even know it’s here!” Martin declared, which is his standard manner of communication.

It’s called the National Monument to the Forefathers, and it is so massive in size and ambitious in scope that it took the Pilgrim Society nearly 30 years to build, finally completing the project in 1889, almost seven decades after it had been conceived.

The story of how it became virtually invisible is equally as long, for it involves the neighborhood and trees that slowly grew up around it, eventually blocking the monument from view down on the waterfront. “Now the only way to see it is if you’re on a boat or you’re standing right next to it,” Martin said.

But he and his wife, Nancy, who cofounded the Jenney Museum, believe there is another reason the monument has been ignored, one that goes beyond simple geography. They believe the monument contains a recipe, left behind by the Pilgrims, for a Christian nation.

“The name of the statue on top is Faith, and it tells the faith story of the Pilgrims,” Nancy said. “And in this atmosphere, a lot of people don’t want to hear that story.”

“Thanksgiving is not about turkeys and buckles!” Leo declared”

The way that the guide speaks reminds me a bit of the Maxwells writing.

That sounds familiar... oh yeah, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monumental:_In_Search_of_America's_National_Treasure

I sorta remember Kirk Cameron looking strangely angry and aged in that.

I fell behind a bit so I have to do a cross-thread quote:

@Black Aliss

Re:  lice 

When my daughter got lice in 3rd grade we took the advice of a South Asian classmate's mom who told us to slather her hair and scalp with coconut oil, cover it with plastic wrap (like a turban), and leave it on overnight. The next morning we did a comb out with a LiceMeister (TM), then shampooed her hair (it actually took a few days before we had all the coconut oil out, but in the meantime her hair was really shiny and smelled great). The mom said the trace amount of coconut oil remaining on her scalp would keep her from getting reinfested while the plague ran its course through the school. 

Oh yeah I've experienced coconut oil in hair.  It doesn't just wash out nicely. Just turns invisible when warm, and then when it cools it sorta clumps.

It wasn't on my head though.  After a surgery a few years ago I put some around an incision site.  Helped a bit, I think.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough about the diet. I looked up the nutritarian diet and it does say you can have animal products on occasion. 

• Upvote 2

Speaking of eggs, I see large, extra large and medium eggs for sale.....where are the small eggs? Is the whole system rigged, like clothing sizes, so medium is actually small and so on? Do today’s chickens just not produce small eggs? When a recipe calls for eggs why do they specify large but no other size? Is the egg industry in league with the recipe industry?

just some random, dare I say scrambled, Sunday morning thoughts......

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@anachronistic,  maybe bantams produce small eggs.  That is a good question though.  Large eggs are the standard for baking as egg size does matter there. For instance, if you use extra-large instead of large eggs, you might find the texture of your cake affected.   If you make the classic recipe for a Victoria sponge, you weigh four medium eggs in the shells and use the same weights of flour, sugar and butter.  A Victoria (sponge) sandwich is delectable!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@anachronistic,  maybe bantams produce small eggs.  That is a good question though.  Large eggs are the standard for baking as egg size does matter there. For instance, if you use extra-large instead of large eggs, you might find the texture of your cake affected.   If you make the classic recipe for a Victoria sponge, you weigh four medium eggs in the shells and use the same weights of flour, sugar and butter.  A Victoria (sponge) sandwich is delectable!

Thanks to you and The Great British Baking Show (which I’m bingeing!), I want to bake one of these so badly! I may just settle for making a pavlova out of the leftover egg whites in the fridge.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 11/30/2019 at 2:40 AM, SPHASH said:

Coward Steve's step mom Cecile commented on the Thanksgiving post.  Griselda Teri even called her "Grandma Cecile".

Well spotted. I’ve not heard of her before. Is she the woman that Stevie’s biological father left his mother for? Would not have thought they would have kept in touch?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Speaking of eggs, I see large, extra large and medium eggs for sale.....where are the small eggs? Is the whole system rigged, like clothing sizes, so medium is actually small and so on? Do today’s chickens just not produce small eggs? When a recipe calls for eggs why do they specify large but no other size? Is the egg industry in league with the recipe industry?

just some random, dare I say scrambled, Sunday morning thoughts......

As a former chicken lady, when pullets (young hens) first begin to lay they will usually lay something the size of a pingpong ball for a few days, then they begin laying eggs that are medium sized and gradually work their little cloacas up to being able to handle large eggs. Very old hens will lay fewer eggs but they are usually jumbos. This mostly applies to heritage breeds. For the last several years I raised golden sex links, which are little egg-laying fools. Very lean, small build so the retirees aren't good for much besides chicken stock but they gear up to laying large eggs within a matter of days once they start and they lay regularly, even in the winter.

All egg sizes have specifications. Recipes are tested using large eggs because those are the most commonly available, and using smaller or larger eggs will throw some recipes off. I'm able to buy pasture-raised medium sized eggs from heritage breeds for a reasonable price because medium is less desirable. Once in awhile I find a  couple of large eggs in my carton, and then I know that I won't see that brand at my discount grocery again for a while, because they can wholesale the large ones for a lot more $$. You can get small eggs and maybe some mediums from bantams but they aren't raised commercially, so you have to have your own flock or know someone who does.

I'm a slattern in the kitchen so, depending on what I'm making, I'll use two medium eggs in place of one large, or one egg and the yolk of another, saving the extra white to add to my scrambled egg the next morning. If you need precision, the  volume of a large egg is 3 1/4 tablespoons, extra-larges are 4 tablespoons, and mediums are 3 tablespoons. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

That sounds familiar... oh yeah, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monumental:_In_Search_of_America's_National_Treasure

I sorta remember Kirk Cameron looking strangely angry and aged in that.

I fell behind a bit so I have to do a cross-thread quote:

@Black Aliss

Oh yeah I've experienced coconut oil in hair.  It doesn't just wash out nicely. Just turns invisible when warm, and then when it cools it sorta clumps.

It wasn't on my head though.  After a surgery a few years ago I put some around an incision site.  Helped a bit, I think.

try using blue Dawn instead of shampoo.  If it will work on crude oil-soaked seabirds, it'll dissolve coconut oil quick.  Just use conditioner afterwards, especially in kid's hair.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

@VVV,  I was going to post that Tomato Soup (Spice) Cake recipe today and the darn page with Yankee Magazine recipe won't load for me.  It's probably my computer.  Yankee's recipe should be good, but there's also a recipe from King Arthur Flour  which has good reviews as does the recipe from Taste and Tell.  Pioneer Woman even has a recipe as does Campbell Soup's website.  Many of the reviews of the Allrecipes recipe mentioned that you need to leave out the salt so you will probably want to read some of the reviews to see what adjustments you need to make.    Most recipes call for raisins, but you may omit them  if you don't care for raisins and you can also add walnuts, if you wish.  

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@VVV,  I was going to post that Tomato Soup (Spice) Cake recipe today and the darn page with Yankee Magazine recipe won't load for me.  It's probably my computer.  Yankee's recipe should be good, but there's also a recipe from King Arthur Flour  which has good reviews as does the recipe from Taste and Tell.  Pioneer Woman even has a recipe as does Campbell Soup's website.  Many of the reviews of the Allrecipes recipe mentioned that you need to leave out the salt so you will probably want to read some of the reviews to see what adjustments you need to make.    Most recipes call for raisins, but you may omit them  if you don't care for raisins and you can also add walnuts, if you wish.  

Thanks! I will google. Sounds quite interesting, except for the idea of raisins. I am not a fan of raisins in baked goods; they take up space that could be better occupied by chocolate chips.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I was just thinking of the mention above of Thanksgiving 2020 with just the spinster aunts. One of those women has to get married. It will be pathetic by next year.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

I've ignored the Maxwell thread for awhile because it gets so repetitive with the house  cleaning/renovating/landscaping and activities with aunts and hiking in Colorado posts, but wow Steve and Terri being vegan is by far the most exciting thing that's happened on titus2 in the last few years.

Interesting that Terri is doing the diet too but hasnt even checked the affect on her cholesterol.

I hope they post some of their meal plans, I'm curious what they're doing in place of stuff like that disgusting soup where they threw in a bunch of meats from the freezer, or most of their casseroles. But I imagine it means they're mostly eating bean burritos, salads, and smoothies on the regular. That house must just stink of endless farts.

Can that be the next thread title - House of A Thousand Holy Farts? 

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 10
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic