IGNORED

need a little puppy help

MayMay1123

heyo! we got a puppy from turks/caicos islands about a month ago, he's now approximately 4 months old. just this week his testicles dropped and now he's doing what every not neutered male doggo does. he is especially fond of his dog bed, which i had to take away ::sigh:: he shouldn't be neutered until 6 months, i don't know what to do until then. any advice on how to get him to stop humping everything? pic is of said cute dawg

Spoiler

77022471_10220785845459654_6988110733477150720_o.jpg

Edited by MayMay1123
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...

Have you been able to manage this at all? I have an almost 8 year old golden who we never neutered and he has never humped any objects in our house. I wonder if this can be addressed like any other unwanted behavior? Ideally waiting until the pup is over a year to be neutered is best for their health so I would try to push that off as long as you can. And from what I've read, neutering may not be a sure fire fix. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

@MayMay1123,  I'd ask my vet about it just to be sure, but humping is a behavior that can be annoying , but is not harmful. Dogs of both sexes practice it although it may be more common in boys.  Neither my dachshund or Lab mix hump anything that I know of, but our spayed  Shih tzu was a notorious jumper.  She had a little sheep that she's hump when she was stressed.  She's been re-homed a number of times and I think that was part of her coping mechandsm.

We did have a lovebird that apparently pleasured himself on a branch in his cage.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

We did have a lovebird that apparently pleasured himself on a branch in his cage.

This is the both weirdest and cutest thing I’ve ever read on FJ ?

As for the question, I’m afraid I can’t add anything to the discussion as I’ve not had a dog (so far). 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

This is the both weirdest and cutest thing I’ve ever read on FJ ?

As for the question, I’m afraid I can’t add anything to the discussion as I’ve not had a dog (so far). 

I could take everyone on a rabbit hole of bird pleasuring behaviors.. Shiny things, fingernails.

It's hilarious. They rub their little butts down, floof out the feathers, dilated pupils and make whirring noises.

And regurgitate.

But if you're not so into birdies. Not so cute. And very difficult to explain. I never let mine have bells or mirrors.

@Maggie Mae

Does Big Guy ever engage in self-pleasuring? Never seen a large one do it. Bit frightening to consider. ?

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

@AliceInFundyland it's creepy. Oh so creepy. He like to go into the bathroom (doesn't matter which one) to do it but we can't let him because he gets territorial and about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Molly has a long stuffed dog that she humps all the time. (she is fixed) It's the only thing that she humps so we never cared. It's more funny than anything. I know what you mean though. My brother had a dog that used to hump everything all the time. (including their pillows which was so gross lol) I don't have any advice for you but thanks for sharing a picture! He's super cute!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

@AliceInFundyland it's creepy. Oh so creepy. He like to go into the bathroom (doesn't matter which one) to do it but we can't let him because he gets territorial and about it. 

The mental image of a large macaw retreating to the toilet with the door shut. ???

It reinforces more of their human like tendencies.

The parakeet we had who was unfortunately interested in fingernails.. There were a couple of incidents where we had to let him do his business on unsuspecting guests. Otherwise he would possibly have bitten them. Not as much of an issue with a parakeet.

Still.  Another thing about dog humping vs bird humping is a lack of ejaculate ?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Still.  Another thing about dog humping vs bird humping is a lack of ejaculate ?

Off to google which one cannot ejaculate and why they can't ejaculate! Sounds very frustrating! ?

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Off to google which one cannot ejaculate and why they can't ejaculate! Sounds very frustrating! ?

Oh, birdies make sperm. Most pups I've known are dry humpers... Yes?

@MayMay1123

Is this is at all helpful with your puppy? ? It could be a lot.... Weirder?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 12/13/2019 at 9:11 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

I could take everyone on a rabbit hole of bird pleasuring behaviors.. Shiny things, fingernails.

It's hilarious. They rub their little butts down, floof out the feathers, dilated pupils and make whirring noises.

And regurgitate.

But if you're not so into birdies. Not so cute. And very difficult to explain. I never let mine have bells or mirrors.

@Maggie Mae

Does Big Guy ever engage in self-pleasuring? Never seen a large one do it. Bit frightening to consider. ?

Do you have any hints about stopping a bird from biting?  The larger hook bills could probably break a finger.   I would love an African grey or a macaw.

i had a lovely little cockatiel who loved everyone but Grampwych.  That bird planted a scissor bite on the web of skin between dhs thumb and forefinger .  Broke the skin and drew blood.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, MayMay1123 said:

heyo! we got a puppy from turks/caicos islands about a month ago, he's now approximately 4 months old. just this week his testicles dropped and now he's doing what every not neutered male doggo does. he is especially fond of his dog bed, which i had to take away ::sigh:: he shouldn't be neutered until 6 months, i don't know what to do until then. any advice on how to get him to stop humping everything? pic is of said cute dawg

Reveal hidden contents

77022471_10220785845459654_6988110733477150720_o.jpg

He's so cute!  I shouldn't be laughing but I am.  

Yes, dogs (both sexes) do often hump things and neutering helps reduce the behavior in males.  However, contrary to popular opinion, it's not that they are sex maniacs or that they want to achieve world domination.  It can happen when they are happy and over-excited, or when they are anxious or stressed.  Also check with the vet because some dogs  hump things when they have a UTI.

As others have said, It's a pretty harmless behavior that humans find acutely embarrassing.  But it's also a behavior that most other dogs don't appreciate if they are the humpee, so it could affect his doggy social life negatively.  And heaven forefend he tries to hump a cat!

So if he checks out OK physically, the humping needs to be trained away using positive methods and behavior modification before it becomes a serious habit, with or without his balls.

So first take a look at when he humps.  Over-stimulation or stress and anxiety?  Give him back his bed, but if he humps it remove it calmly and quietly.  Same with other objects.  Remove them until he calms down and unobtrusively return them later.  If he starts humping you, gently remove him from your leg and leave the room until he settles down.  If he starts humping other animals or people then remove him from the situation.  Don't make a big deal about any of this.  A horrified reaction can actually unintentionally reward the behavior.

Also start training other wanted behaviors so that if he starts humping you can call him to you and give him something else to do.  I'm a huge fan of clicker training.  

Here's a wonderful article by Positive Trainer guru Pat Miller going into a lot more detail.  https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/how-to-stop-your-dogs-annoying-humping-behavior/

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Here's a wonderful article by Positive Trainer guru Pat Miller going into a lot more detail.  https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/how-to-stop-your-dogs-annoying-humping-behavior/

thank you! this really was a great article, and also had me LOL at parts! i didn't realize that humping could be because of stress or excitement, light bulb moment there. i had to take the dog bed away for good now because he chewed a hole in it and pulled the damn stuffing out, so now he has blankets to lay on. he's learning, i just have to keep reminding myself and others, that he's still just a little baby guy and it takes lots of time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Yes, that is a great article.  I'm glad I managed to find it again.  And it is funny. :D

Your pup is still only a tiny puppy who, as a rescue, has had a lot of changes and negative experiences in his short life already.  He could be certainly be anxious as well as having just recently discovered the joys of masturbation.  The fact he chewed a hole in his bed may also be anxiety because I'm sure he has lots of toys to play with.  Yes, remove the bed and watch that he doesn't eat any stuffing or blankets.  

That said, dogs are smart and consistency and repetition in training work pretty quickly.  

My Little Guy had something of a humping problem when he first came home.  He was about 3, had been found abandoned on the streets, and had been through two rescue kennels, a foster family that didn't work out, and a failed adoption, and had broken his leg badly at the second kennel when he came home with me.  (It was an accident in play but it was a compound fracture and he got a very nasty infection in the wound.)  He'd already been neutered but humping was apparently an established habit when he was excited.

There's nothing like 55 lb dog with a rock hard splint on his front leg wrapped around your leg humping away.  I had major bruises!   I don't think he humped any toys, beds or pillows though.  He tried mounting Miss P.  Once.  She ruled the pack!   He never repeated that mistake again, even with Mr C our other dog, although no blood was shed,   And it only took a few days of time outs for him to stop humping humans. 

You are doing a great job with your pup. 

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 1

I never had a doggie that did it but Thor kitty did!  He stole a stuffed animal out of my daughters room and once she witnessed the atrocities she let him keep it :laughing-lettersrofl: We just let him do since that was the only thing he'd go for.  Once he was neutered it slowed down and these days he just kneads it to death and lays on it.  

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 2:56 PM, Imrlgoddess said:

I never had a doggie that did it but Thor kitty did!  He stole a stuffed animal out of my daughters room and once she witnessed the atrocities she let him keep it :laughing-lettersrofl: We just let him do since that was the only thing he'd go for.  Once he was neutered it slowed down and these days he just kneads it to death and lays on it.  

One of our cats will loudly get it on with a few stuffed animals. I work from home and one day I kept hearing the cat just howling over and over and it was driving me crazy. He was at the other end of the house and I could hear it. I went to go tell him to shut up and caught him mid act with one of the dog's stuffed toys. He will bite them and drag them around until he is finished with them. I can take the toy away and hide it but he will find it and drag it out again at night lol. He's been neutered since he was like 6 months old so who the heck knows. Our intact almost 9 year old golden retriever has never humped anything other than a few random male dogs that he seemed to take a liking to. 

• Haha 3