IGNORED

Duggar Business Investigated by Homeland Security 2

Coconut Flan

37 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

You know these are the same circle jerk "sources" that have been saying this nonsense all along without a bit of proof, right? They are all quoting each other as a source. That crazydaysandnights.net is not a real news source and makes stuff up whole cloth.

Awright guys, RadarOnline filed a FOIA about the Duggar compound with Homeland Security. It does not appear that anything came from that FOIA other than a "neither confirm nor deny", which is typical of law enforcement agencies.  Radar has filed a second FOIA for the car lot.  No word on that one. This is all looking more and more like a lot of nonsense ginned up by that stupid crazydaysandnights gossip site and Reddit. I still think @Buzzard is right.

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/11/homeland-security-refuses-to-comment-on-alleged-duggar-investigation/

I agree, there are many sites that have the same run around. 

If HSI is still investigating, then they may have an out with not providing the information publicly in terms of the FOIA. Homeland Security is part of the Federal Government, so it is an ongoing federal investigation. When InTouch was able to break the first scandal they had an easier time because there was no ongoing criminal investigation, etc. Homeland Security may have to be tight lipped until they have all the evidence and charges are filed. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, 47of74 said:

After all it wasn’t murder charges that took Capone down but tax evasion. Hoping for something similar here. 

And it was Alcatraz that ultimately broke Capone. That and the syphilis. 

• Upvote 8

I don't understand the conflict here. What's the issue with people hoping it wasn't child abuse? I hope it wasn't child abuse, but if it was child abuse, then I hope the truth comes out. No one is saying, "I hope it wasn't child abuse, and if it was, I hope it stays a secret so I don't have to know about it."

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 13
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 7

Anna had the baby.  It was just announced.

Maryella Hope Duggar was born at 9:12 a.m., weighing 8 pounds and 2 ounces, and measuring 20 1/2 inches, the proud parents told Us Weekly exclusively.

• Thank You 17

2 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

[...]

I wish this family would lose their TV show. Even if they take Jim Bob off, he still gets the money when the kids are filmed. 

Yeah same. It would free up the second generation from having to keep on with the fake front and from feeling pressured to have more babies as just numbers to drum up support for the family. They could finally choose their own paths freely.  Even if they did want big families it would be by choice not obligation. And they could send their kids to other schools or become more mainstream. Toxic repetive cycle stopped, finally. I can't imagine having a binding contract on mundane daily life decisions, private life that normal families can expect to keep just among trusted friends and close acquaintances not share with the whole world.  What a nightmare. 

Edited by Coco
  • Upvote 9

Maryella I'm so sorry you have been born into a fucked up family.

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 16
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Coco said:

Are you saying this could all be a ratings grab; TLC willing to let the rumor mill chew up a tangential bad behavior by people enough removed from them? After following this all week I haven't seen any pics or hard evidence of anything other than the SDC trip. Of course I wouldn't put it past TLC to not give two craps about any political fallout or effect on fundie world domination plans ? Maybe they're just trying to push up their year end numbers while everyone's off work for the holidays sitting around bored. 

The ratings were DOWN by about 200k viewers for last night's episode. So, if TLC thought scandal would bring eyeballs to the teevee, they miscalculated badly.

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Hope is...well, hopefully...not a portent of things to come.

I interpreted the name 'Hope' as possibly being a tribute to Annabell. To give hope for a more positive future. No matter our views of the Duggars, no one can deny they have had a tough year with the loss of Mary and the tragic loss of Baby Annabell.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Hope is...well, hopefully...not a portent of things to come.

I thought it was an ironic choice, too. The sad thing is, if she’d been born prior to any of the scandals I wouldn’t have given it a second thought. 

Edited by Giraffe
Grammaring betterer
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

I interpreted the name 'Hope' as possibly being a tribute to Annabell. To give hope for a more positive future. No matter our views of the Duggars, no one can deny they have had a tough year with the loss of Mary and the tragic loss of Baby Annabell.

I’ve not been following the Duggars much. Who was Annabel?

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I remember my first night of law school I turned on the TV at the hotel and happened right in to a Law & Order marathon.  Not that I've taken up watching it - too much time studying law to want to watch TV about it.

I never missed an episode, original recipe only. Dick Wolf is fabulous, he's the brains behind the Chicago trilogy on NBC, which I also never miss. IIRC, Law and Order was considered realistic in its presentation of legal issues.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I’ve not been following the Duggars much. Who was Annabel?

Austin and Joy Anna’s daughter. Joy Miscarried   Around 20 weeks.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Whether people agree or disagree with the premise in and of itself, it is more socially polite and respectful to say "I really hope XYZ thing that MAY have happened isn't one with victims that are children." No one here wants to hear that a child has been hurt in some way, and I think it's a way for us to express that we're speculating that it may be a crime involving the abuse of children without being ghoulish about it or sounding giddy that a child might have been hurt.

Well said. Everybody knows that hoping something has no impact on that thing actually happening. When we are waiting for biopsy results, most of us hope the results are benign. Then we deal with whatever the results actually are.  Given the horror of CSA, no one wants to think that there are additional victims associated with this latest event. That's all to it. We all want the truth too. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

22 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I never missed an episode, original recipe only. Dick Wolf is fabulous, he's the brains behind the Chicago trilogy on NBC, which I also never miss. I IRC, Law and Order was considered realistic in its presentation of legal issues.

I liked Criminal Intent too. SVU was good (Elliot was eye candy) but jumped the shark somewhere along the way. But I will watch ANY episode of the original.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Meggo said:

But I will watch ANY episode of the original.

Yes, it has aged like fine wine, there was eye candy aplenty with Benjamin Bratt and Chris Noth, among others. I enjoy the reruns. Vincent D'onofrio (sp) was interesting in Criminal Intent, but his peculiar mannerisms were a bit distracting. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

The ratings were DOWN by about 200k viewers for last night's episode. So, if TLC thought scandal would bring eyeballs to the teevee, they miscalculated badly.

IMG_3861.GIF

42 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Yes, it has aged like fine wine, there was eye candy aplenty with Benjamin Bratt and Chris Noth, among others. I enjoy the reruns. Vincent D'onofrio (sp) was interesting in Criminal Intent, but his peculiar mannerisms were a bit distracting. 

Getting way OT but that show made me love D'Onofrio ? It was a performance just weird enough to keep it interesting. He was great in Daredevil last year too, that was the best marvel tv show in a while.  

Edited by Coco
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Sam Waterston was--and is--my eye candy. Double Down is one of my favorite episodes. Jack McCoy has one of my favorite lines of all time: "He does hard time until hell freezes over." Then there's "we whiffed. He reeked."

Edited by sixcatatty
Added a thought
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Well, Anna had another baby that is going to have to live in the shadow of her father's misdeeds. Good luck Maryella Hope, your going to need it. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

From a purely historical perspective, it’s fascinating to watch the older episodes of Law and Order from the early 1990s to see how different New York was back then. It’s also interesting to see how certain political and social issues were framed at particular points in time. The way LGBT issues changed is particularly striking. Even in early seasons of SVU, the way the squad talked about trans people is very jarring to 2019 ears.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, BernRul said:

No, I still don't.

I understand that child sexual abuse is just about the worst thing there is. I'm not stupid. That's not what I said at all.

What I'm saying is our wishing does not control what any Duggar has done in the past. If they were investigated for child abuse, than that happened in the past. We can't change it. All we can change is what happens in the future--getting justice.

Children are abused wide scale. That is already a fact, even if people don't want to accept it. Just this week, my student decided to transtition into a boy because she was sexually abused as a girl. It's not a good thing socially speaking, but it still happens. I'd rather the world face it than continue to sweep it under the rug. 

I still feel that instead of saying "I wish it's not child abuse," we should instead say "I wish the truth comes out this time, even if it makes me come face to face with something unpleasant."

I regret writing that I was autistic. I feel like you just assumed I can't tell the difference between child sexual abuse and tax evasion which absolutely isn't the case at all. Apologies if that wasn't your intention, just how I feel. You don't have to explain why child abuse is worse; I literally work with kids who were molested. 

Sorry, but I couldn’t let this go. The bolded strikes me as a horribly transphobic thing to say. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

Sorry, but I couldn’t let this go. The bolded strikes me as a horribly transphobic thing to say. 

What, people just don't haphazardly decide they wanna be something else and go for it?

*It bothered me too*

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

38 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

I don’t know what @BernRul meant; only they can clarify that. However, I took it to mean the person isn’t actually trans and instead is transitioning out of a response to the abuse (as in, if they transition they won’t be abused again). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:12 AM, Giraffe said:

I don’t know what @BernRul meant; only they can clarify that. However, I took it to mean the person isn’t actually trans and instead is transitioning out of a response to the abuse (as in, if they transition they won’t be abused again). 

I think so too. It sounds like a thing a child would think. Also, iirc @BernRul is an ESL person so maybe "transition" in this case wasn't exactly the best word choice. My 6yo girl last spring had me cut her hair very short and masculine because, her words, "so the boys in my class will think I am a boy too and they'll let me play with them". I can see a child dressing like a boy thinking that this will save her from being abused as a girl. Actually I could see even an adolescent or a young adult think along those lines. But in such a case "transition" wouldn't be the right word.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Grammar
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3