IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10/11 4: Babies, Babies, Babies

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Charliemae said:

Firstly I just want it out there that postpartum hemorrhage is one of the leading causes of maternal death in America.  I think it's deeply irresponsible to go for a homebirth if you have a history of PPH They have an incredibly high rate of recurrence as well (I've heard 50% chance for uterine atony).  It is not a complication, or level of risk, that people should be so comfortable ignoring.  (Source had a PPH and needed 6 units of blood, almost died- choosing a c-section this time because of the risks of it happening again). I'm surprised that a midwife could consider someone with that history low risk enough for a homebirth. 

Midwives can sometimes use pitocin for hemorrhage.  This is controversial because midwives are not allowed to use pit for induction or to help contractions.  So in some states midwives have no access to pit, in others they can have a small quantity for PPH.  Which means that some midwives are legally barred from being properly prepared for a PPH.  Those midwives absolutly shouldn't be taking on patients with a history of PPH.    

A shot of pit is only going to work if your uterus needs a little help contracting back down.  It wont do any good for a severe bleed, and it can't replace the blood you already lost.  In the hospital it's one of the first things they do for PPH, they also have a lot of other resources if the pit isn't enough.  If I had had a homebirth, with the PPH I had, I would have died. 

For those wondering usually the bleeding is from where the placenta detaches.  This wound is the size of a dinner plate until the uterus contracts back down.  If everything is going well the uterus will contract on it's own.  If that doesn't happen it's pitocin and very painful uterine massage to try and get it right.  If that doesn't work they shove a balloon and/or sponges in there and stanch the bleeding that way.  If that doesn't work you're off to surgery.
 https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/postpartum-hemorrhage

I don’t know much about the details. I believe she used the same hospital linked nurse mid-wife for both her hospital and home delivery, but not 100% sure. She also lives in a major city minutes from a hospital, so that was likely a factor. 

Side note- I nearly fainted watching them push on my daughter’s abdomen to make her uterus contract following her c-section when she was bleeding too much  - that was — rough ? 

Additionally Some idiot nurse  was insisting she keep holding her newborn for “bonding“- while they were basically punching her in her incision! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Thankfully in Ontario, where we have educated registered midwives, they come prepared with pitocin if needed, along with a whole bunch of medical gear. I had a home birth two years ago, and could not imagine putting my life in the hands of those midwives the Duggars seem fond of using. I especially wouldn't use them if I knew they didn't carry pitocin, and extra especially if there was a history of postpartum hemorrhage. It just seems all kinds of stupid. 

I did think it was interesting that Jill was mentioned in this episode, and there was video of her, when they have been acting like they just disappeared. If they want to keep the show real, they can at least briefly address that Jill and her family "decided to keep a more private life", than just ignore it. It would even make it seem like the adults have a choice. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Also do you think the paramedics in this town keep track of the due dates? like "Oh X is due on x day, better have someone ready to take them in cause we know they won't just go on their own".

I thought, and I don't remember where I heard it from, that when you are having a home birth, you call the non-emergency line of the fire department and inform them that you are in the middle of a home birth so that they have a heads up (and possibly some details??) prior to the ambulance being needed. Has anyone who has planned a home birth done this?

I agree, what Jessa did by having another home birth is incredibly ignorant and irresponsible.  She could bleed out and die in minutes for all the reasons listed above.  There's no time for calling an ambulance much less getting to a hospital.  At the end of pregnancy at any one point 20% of her blood flow is going through her uterus.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

I had a home birth 11 years ago. A women in the next road to me was also having  home birth at the same time. My 2 midwives were in phone contact with her 2 midwives and there was a fair bit of competition as to who's Lady delivered first lol (I won that one!) 

During our chats I discovered that it is practice to have an ambulance specifically on standby for when a home birth is happening. 

This is South East England.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

I had a home birth 11 years ago. A women in the next road to me was also having  home birth at the same time. My 2 midwives were in phone contact with her 2 midwives and there was a fair bit of competition as to who's Lady delivered first lol (I won that one!) 

During our chats I discovered that it is practice to have an ambulance specifically on standby for when a home birth is happening. 

This is South East England.

I really hope this is the case with the Duggars, especially with their history

• Upvote 2

Was just watching the clip posted on the Counting On Facebook page of James and Jenny making the smash cake with Lauren Caldwell for Garrett's birthday. Lauren and James seemed close... I will be shocked if she doesn't court a Duggar.

Edited by jillsdopplerofdoom
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

On 12/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, llg1234 said:

Bella's Birth Special

Part 1

Hide contents

Nov 7 11:25AM
Lauren's had some contractions, but they've since stopped. They're going to the Swanson's house to walk up and down the stairs to make labor progress. She also power walks on the treadmill. They head home for a bit. It's 6PM and it's been almost 24 hours since her contractions started. The contractions are getting closer and strong enough to make them decided to the hospital. She's admitted and put in a room. She's 3cm dilated. Lana and Michelle arrive to help with the labor.

Lauren's having back labor and Joisah is trying to put pressure on her back to help with the pain. Lauren gets an epidural to try help move the labor forward. She almost faints after getting the epidural due to her blood pressure dropping. Josiah tries to help her breathe through it. She's now 30 hours into labor. 

Her blood pressure stabilizes but she still feels a little dizzy and has back pain. The doctor comes in to make sure the epidural worked. He decides to come back in bit and later gives her a second epidural since she's still in a lot of pain. The doctor moves an ice pack around her legs and she can still feel it. He wants to still wait before giving her a third dose. The nurses checks how far dilated she is and says she has awhile to go, still.

The same thing happened to me when I got my epidural. My pressure tanked, I almost passed out, my sons heart rate dipped, he expelled meconium (found out next time I was checked) and I puked all over my OBGYN. Fun times. I feel for Lauren on that one. 

On 12/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

Was just watching the clip posted on the Counting On Facebook page of James and Jenny making the smash cake with Lauren Caldwell for Garrett's birthday. Lauren and James seemed close... I will be shocked if she doesn't court a Duggar.

There's a pic on Reddit with James and Lauren holding hands! ?

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

On 12/14/2019 at 12:01 AM, JMO said:

I agree, what Jessa did by having another home birth is incredibly ignorant and irresponsible.  She could bleed out and die in minutes for all the reasons listed above.  There's no time for calling an ambulance much less getting to a hospital.  At the end of pregnancy at any one point 20% of her blood flow is going through her uterus.  

But...but...they're pro-life!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

On 12/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, Coconut Flan said:

The CPM midwives and not even licensed midwives the Duggars have used in the past are not allowed to prescribe medications.  Anything they give must be prescribed by a real licensed medical professional and obtained in advance.  That means the patient has to be actually seen by a doctor or nurse midwife who isn't going to hand over a prescription for pitocin to be given by a lay midwife. They're going to tell the person to give birth in the hospital where they can obtain proper care.

In this case, Jessa's midwife's husband is a doctor, and the two of them often work together (the midwife delivered babies for years before being certified as a midwife), so I wouldn't be surprised if he did prescribe her things.

I completely agree with everyone saying it's irresponsible of Jessa to have a home birth when this is a known issue. A young women my family knew died that way during a home birth. It's not something to take lightly.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3

About James and Lauren holding hands- I watched the video they're talking about on Reddit. They're literally reaching to open an oven at the same time. 

2vg5d0uurv441.jpg

(This isn't directed at you, @marmalade... the Duggarsnark Redditors can just be so extra sometimes!)

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised they were courting, especially with all the talk in the video of how the two of them "hang out with Joe and Kendra all the time".

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 12

Too lazy to look, but how old is James? Isn’t he the one that Jill was tutoring in Math when she she first got married and was living in that big McMansion? If so, that would have been about 5 years ago. Is he 18? God I hope the Duggars aren’t marrying off 18 years old.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

SoI just watched last week’s episode. Jessa said that in hospital births routinely have Pitocin ready or maybe she even said are routinely give Pitocin after all births, and “I guess I’m just 1 of those women who need it.” Since she acknowledges this need for herself, I’m hoping that she uses some logic and common sense and have, at the very least, birth center deliveries. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

James seems really young. Does he have a 'job' or owns property yet? I feel like the powers that be at TLC want us to think there could be a courtship in the works, but I'm surprised they're not teasing it with Jason/Jer/Jed who are older and have more going on outside the TTH.

Still, these two look comfortable together.

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, marmalade said:

There's a pic on Reddit with James and Lauren holding hands! ?

can you screen shot it please?

26 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

James is marrying Lily (Lauren's sister). Why? Bc Harry Potter.

dont ruin that couple name for me with fundie associations lol 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

Just watched the season finale. I knew the Dillards weren't going to appear on the show, but do we know if they actually went to the funeral? Did Jill post something about it?

33 minutes ago, xenobia said:

Just watched the season finale. I knew the Dillards weren't going to appear on the show, but do we know if they actually went to the funeral? Did Jill post something about it?

Yes, the Dillards did attend

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

SoI just watched last week’s episode. Jessa said that in hospital births routinely have Pitocin ready or maybe she even said are routinely give Pitocin after all births, and “I guess I’m just 1 of those women who need it.” Since she acknowledges this need for herself, I’m hoping that she uses some logic and common sense and have, at the very least, birth center deliveries. 

Yeah, she did say that women who give birth in a hospital are routinely given Pitocin after delivery. I wasn’t given Pitocin. In fact, most women I know didn’t get it after delivery. Sounds like another one of their made up statistics.

• Upvote 9

My main takeaway from this episode is that this is the most the Duggar family has looked like a cult in recent years. 

The pastel pregnancy photoshoot and JB and Michelle's TH where she says (in reference to the pregnancies/grandbabies) "I have a feeling that this is just the beginning." just screamed cult. Joy, Kendra and Lauren were all what, 20-21 at the time?

Joe and whichever brother completely breaking down at the pre-funeral gathering was interesting. None of the brothers who were literally standing next to them offered any comfort (except Jer because Joe basically ran into him). Not even a hand on their brother's shoulder, a simple basic gesture. Nothing. Michelle and Kendra rushing up to the stage to help out showed how restricted and emotionally stunted the Duggar children are. 

Good job, TLC. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Joe and whichever brother completely breaking down at the pre-funeral gathering was interesting. None of the brothers who were literally standing next to them offered any comfort (except Jer because Joe basically ran into him). Not even a hand on their brother's shoulder, a simple basic gesture. Nothing. Michelle and Kendra rushing up to the stage to help out showed how restricted and emotionally stunted the Duggar children are. 

Good job, TLC. 

I really noticed this when Michelle miscarried Jubilee. They called a family meeting and Jim Bob told all the kids. Michelle sat there quietly crying and none of her kids got up to comfort her. I think some of them hugged Jim Bob, but not her. Whether the whole thing was staged or not, it was glaring. It really seemed like they were afraid of or had no idea how to be emotional with their mother.

• Upvote 18

• Coconut Flan locked this topic