IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10/11 4: Babies, Babies, Babies

Coconut Flan

Hey y’all! Returning after 2 or 3 years of self-imposed exile (I was going through some emotional stuff and life changes, etc). 
I’ve kept up by lurking around the forums. Personally I didn’t find this episode tacky. It was certainly treated more sensitively than a lot of the tragedy/emotional episodes in the past. I’m guessing that has more to do with the TLC learning curve than anything else though. I couldn’t tell if they were so stiff because of lack of emotional health or because that’s how they are with emotions (it’s somewhat how I am, I just find emotional output in myself to be difficult to handle and I freeze up when I experience it). 
actually the part that I found the weirdest was at the very end when Joy said she wanted to move into a house and not live with two small children in a camper and Austin looked annoyed at her for saying that. 

• Upvote 3

Finally finished the show, I have to saw it was very sweet, the family wanted it aired, and she didn't mind being on TV so I guess it is ok that is on TV.  The PMJ was the only one that seemed to get more than a side hug.

@OrchidBlossomI literally just watched that scene, and I wouldn't say he was annoyed at Joy, but more thinking about two kids in that tiny trailer. i'm betting this is something they have talked about in length, that look between them was a look of total agreement and exasperation of their tight quarters for over a year now. 

I also guess this was filmed a week or so before Joy lost Annabelle. We all know their will be another season with all the babies to come, we're all assuming there will be another courtship or two. I assume if Joy and Austin don't want to put this on TV, it will just be a mention at the beginning of the show. But I have a feeling they are going to do this ala Jubilee with mentions of of her funeral as well. 

• Upvote 1

I would have thought that the season would end with the loss of Annabel. Maybe next season will start with a mention of the loss (keeping it more private) and then they’ll jump to all the births. 

Did JB&M allude to possibly another courtship at the end? Wonder which lost boy it is. Doubt it’s Jana.

47 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Finally finished the show, I have to saw it was very sweet, the family wanted it aired, and she didn't mind being on TV so I guess it is ok that is on TV.  The PMJ was the only one that seemed to get more than a side hug.

@OrchidBlossomI literally just watched that scene, and I wouldn't say he was annoyed at Joy, but more thinking about two kids in that tiny trailer. i'm betting this is something they have talked about in length, that look between them was a look of total agreement and exasperation of their tight quarters for over a year now. 

I also guess this was filmed a week or so before Joy lost Annabelle. We all know their will be another season with all the babies to come, we're all assuming there will be another courtship or two. I assume if Joy and Austin don't want to put this on TV, it will just be a mention at the beginning of the show. But I have a feeling they are going to do this ala Jubilee with mentions of of her funeral as well. 

Possibly you’re right. I have a hard time reading Austin to be fair, he just always looks annoyed! 

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The lack of physical support from family members was very telling. That and watching all the Duggar kids struggle to verbalize what they were feeling, none of them seemed to have the ability to explaine what they were feeling because they weren't taught how to. 

They have been stunted emotionally into not showing feelings, whether its verbally or physically. 

• Upvote 2

Overall, I thought the episode was well done and I was genuinely moved.  I hope that the family agreed, as a whole (including Amy and her mom), to allow filming.  It can't have been easy for them to "be themselves" under those circumstances with a crew present.

I give the boys a break for seeming unresponsive to each others' pain and for difficulty in getting the words out during the service.  Bet they were exhausted and may still have been in shock.  This is not to say that I think they're emotionally in touch or normally very responsive to each other...but this had to have been rough.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Overall, I thought the episode was well done and I was genuinely moved.  I hope that the family agreed, as a whole (including Amy and her mom), to allow filming.  It can't have been easy for them to "be themselves" under those circumstances with a crew present.

I give the boys a break for seeming unresponsive to each others' pain and for difficulty in getting the words out during the service.  Bet they were exhausted and may still have been in shock.  This is not to say that I think they're emotionally in touch or normally very responsive to each other...but this had to have been rough.

They've said before that the crew is like family to them, to some extent it was probably almost comforting to have them there, a little piece of normalcy (not that it's ok that it's normal to them but it's the reality for a lot of them). Some of the crew probably know the kids better than their own parents.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Nargus said:

They've said before that the crew is like family to them, to some extent it was probably almost comforting to have them there, a little piece of normalcy (not that it's ok that it's normal to them but it's the reality for a lot of them). Some of the crew probably know the kids better than their own parents.

In general I'd agree, but the circumstances were especially traumatic.  I suspect the kids, at least, would have preferred to not have background thoughts about millions of people potentially watching them fall apart.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

I just thought of something, When Joy got up to speak she said "I'm #9" then Jackson said "I'm #15", and then when Michelle was talking about having 6 new grand babies and then maybe soon it could be 12, it really is all about the numbers with these two. I'm honestly surprised they didn't have numbers pinned to them. 

In 20 years JB & M are going to have to rent a reception hall to get all their kids, grand kid and great grand kids in one place, they will be in the triple digits. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I'm another one that needed Pitocin after both of my births. Both vaginal and CSection. My uterus just would not get it together after.

32 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I just thought of something, When Joy got up to speak she said "I'm #9" then Jackson said "I'm #15", and then when Michelle was talking about having 6 new grand babies and then maybe soon it could be 12, it really is all about the numbers with these two. I'm honestly surprised they didn't have numbers pinned to them. 

In 20 years JB & M are going to have to rent a reception hall to get all their kids, grand kid and great grand kids in one place, they will be in the triple digits. 

COUNTING On. Yes, it’s all about numbers...and taking over America and the Earth! 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Well, in defense of procreating like rabbits, the Duggars like to say the entire world population can fit into Jacksonville, FLA, so they should just rent that.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11

I just finished watching the episode. That was the first time I got emotional watching one of these episodes, but that was probably because it was very personal to me. My nana passed away approximately six weeks before Mary did. While it was not a complete shock (she had cancer), we had not expected it so soon. I related a lot to the Duggar siblings, because I too was a bit of a mess during her wake and funeral. Thank God that no one was there to film me crying for the entire country to see. At one point, one of the Duggar boys (Joe maybe?) said something about all of the moments in their lives that Mary would not be a part of. This definitely hit me because my Nana passed away two weeks before I graduated college and a month before my sister graduated high school, and it was definitely sad that she wasn't there with us. One thing I did find a little awkward (but probably stems from them being a bit emotionally stunted) was that they didn't really comfort each other. There was a couple of times when one of the Duggar boys would start sobbing and the other ones standing around him would just stand there, not comforting them at all. Definitely came across a little awkward.

Despite my worries that they would make a shit show of this event (since they are the Duggars after all), I thought it was well done. Hopefully they (along with anyone else who has lost someone this year) will get through the Holiday season alright even though Mary isn't there.

• Love 5

Little Josie was really upset. At least JB and M seemed appropriately sensitive to Josie. In contrast, Jordyn sat a row behind her parents and was quite stoic. I wonder if Jordyn’s behavior was a learned response from having very little mom time as opposed to Josie who has been the forever and miracle baby? 

• Upvote 16

@SassyPants there was a brief scene with JB (side)hugging Jordyn. Either the memorial or the viewing. She always did seem closer to him than to Michelle who was always preoccupied (my autocorrect wanted to go with ‘who was always pregnant’) with Josie. Now that I think about it, it may have been Kynzie or Meredith. 

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Little Josie was really upset. At least JB and M seemed appropriately sensitive to Josie. In contrast, Jordyn sat a row behind her parents and was quite stoic. I wonder if Jordyn’s behavior was a learned response from having very little mom time as opposed to Josie who has been the forever and miracle baby? 

I thought about this too. Even aside from Mary Duggar's funeral, Josie is constantly being held, hugged, comforted, and even carried by her parents. Jordyn, who is only, I think, a year older than Josie, gets none of this kind of attention. It seems to me that Josie is getting parented in a way that very few, if any, of her older siblings were. Josie will forever be the youngest, while Jordyn and Jennifer are simply expected to get by on their own--without even the support of most of the sister moms, who have left the TTH (other than Jana, who surely must be stretched very thin by all the different ways her family makes use of her).

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 9

34 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

I thought about this too. Even aside from Mary Duggar's funeral, Josie is constantly being held, hugged, comforted, and even carried by her parents. Jordyn, who is only, I think, a year older than Josie, gets none of this kind of attention. It seems to me that Josie is getting parented in a way that very few, if any, of her older siblings were. Josie will forever be the youngest, while Jordyn and Jennifer are simply expected to get by on their own--without even the support of most of the sister moms, who have left the TTH (other than Jana, who surely must be stretched very thin by all the different ways her family makes use of her).

Yep. Jenny and Jordyn really were both persona non-grata(e) from the get go. At least Hannie was the first girl after a Run of 6 boys in a row, and was the recipient of new baby items, and a new home (the TTH).

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

I’m pretty sure Jordyn and Josie are actually a little less then a year apart. Or is that jordyn and McKenzie?

• Upvote 1

Jordyn and Josie are slightly less than a year apart. Mackynzie and Josie were both born in 2009, Mackynzie in early October, Josie in early December. There is a period of 8 days between Josie and Jordyn's birthdays where all three are the same age in years, but Jordyn is a 2008 baby, so older than the other two.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Well, in defense of procreating like rabbits, the Duggars like to say the entire world population can fit into Jacksonville, FLA, so they should just rent that.

LOL, I have never heard that, we've got a lot of people and land here not quite that many; and as a regular nominee for murder capital of Florida we already have enough issues the Duggars can stay far, far away.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/18/2019 at 2:53 PM, Nashville92 said:

@justmy2cents I went back and Jim Bob said there could be something else brewing.  Made me think about a new relationship.  I believe Michelle mentioned new relationships as well.

I’m placing my bet now it’s Lauren Caldwell and one of the brothers she sat w during the Grandma Mary parts. (James and Jason????)

• Upvote 4

Maybe Lauren Caldwell is in pre courtship with both of them. TLC wants to feature her on the next season, and are inspired by the Bachelorette. Jed and Jer have been eliminated, Jason and James are competing for the final rose. Who will she choose? Stay tuned for the most dramatic episode of Counting On EVER.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 38
  • Love 1

Here's something that  I think about a lot and was thinking about while watching the episode of Grandma Mary's funeral: I'm pretty much atheist with a little glimmer of agnostic in there, but most of the time I think there is no form of consciousness after death. I'm not happy about that, I'm just usually not able to convince myself otherwise. And I have trouble understanding--what is grief really like when you think you're going to see that person again? I get that you miss them, and you would probably think about them not being there for important events in your life and won't be able to ask for their advice during rough times and you would be sad that you won't see them for a long long time. But how can grief possibly be as deep and life-altering and as it is when you know you will never see that person, ever again? My grandmother died almost ten years ago, she was everything to me and was like a third parent, only more, and I still think about her every day and will sometimes get hit like a ton of bricks with the thought "I'll never see her again." That grief is terrible but I also know it's made me a more mature and empathetic person in many ways. And it's so not worth it! I would give up whatever grief has taught me if I could have one more minute with her, but I can't, so I'll take the damn emotional growth. It's okay in the way that it will never be okay. I don't want to insult people's beliefs or imply that people who believe in life after death are emotionally stunted (though, the Duggars are) But in this particular experience--grief--I have trouble imagining how it compares. Anyone have any insights? 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 11

• Coconut Flan locked this topic