IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10/11 4: Babies, Babies, Babies

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Kendra doesn’t know who Elvis is?? I know these SOTDRT kids are sheltered but that’s just a whole new step to undereducated. I’m not a huge fan of him or anything but I just took for granted that most Americans would know who he is.

It’s amazing to me too, and definitely most Americans know who he is, but he died before her parents were born.

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1

Some friends of mine were living literally off grid in the wilderness when they raised their two girls, who got a great nature education but missed a lot of cultural stuff.  The girls were born in the late 70s or early 80s.  One of them ended up living a lifestyle where she sometimes met celebrities.  I heard a story where years ago, she met and was chatting with Sean Lennon, John's youngest son, and the girl raised in the wilderness did not know who John Lennon was.

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Kendra doesn’t know who Elvis is?? I know these SOTDRT kids are sheltered but that’s just a whole new step to undereducated. I’m not a huge fan of him or anything but I just took for granted that most Americans would know who he is.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 7

It seems that Jed and Jer were in a camper or possibly a mobile home during the game.  

• I Agree 3

I wonder if they ever realize that they are basically being made fun of when the producers ask them if they know who Elvis is or if they believe in aliens or if they can name any Greek gods. I guess Jeremy knows because he grew up in the real world, plus he relishes any opportunity to show off his Staggering Intellect, but I wonder if the rest of them understand. Like I guess their fans don't care, but for any viewers who watch it just to make fun of it or watch it because it's one of many tents on TLC (aka the Freakshow Channel), those questions are opportunities for us to either a) laugh at their ignorance or b) look at them with pity for being so dumb and not realizing it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

11 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s amazing to me too, and definitely most Americans know who he is, but he died before her parents were born.

I'm constantly stunned at how YOUNG Kendra's parents are, her mom is 9 years younger than I am her oldest is 8 months younger than my oldest and has 2 kids. My oldest still falls asleep playing video games, and says stupid shit like "sleeping doesn't make you less tied" ? ?‍♀️

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Also Elvis isn't Carrie Underwood or Kanye, he obviously isn't still seen on tv or magazines all that much. 

Name the tenth Duggar grandchild.

JOY, the person with the 10th GC : Spurgeon.

She clearly just went down the list, Josh 6 + JD 1 + Jill 2.  = 9, so the 10th= Jessa’s #1 

And that, folks, Is education at SOTDRT.

At least she can count to 10.

• Haha 25
  • Love 1

That "gender" reveal is really something.  Reading it was so boring, I can't imagine how the guests felt having to live it.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I feel so bad for Josie watching the art class segment - she’s 10 years old, and probably rarely allowed to play with paint before. She finally has a chance and gets in trouble for being a little messy in her attempt to be creative. I remember how exciting it was to get to work with paint or clay in elementary school art class. Those kids have few enough outlets for joy and expression - Jana had the same confinement as a kid, but now gets to enjoy gardening and other “messy” activities. She can’t find an ounce of empathy for her little sister?

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 6

Having actually watched the episode now, I think Kendra said “I don’t know what Elvis did” (responding to Joe’s attempt at an Elvis imitation), not “I don’t know who Elvis was.”

2 hours ago, mpheels said:

I feel so bad for Josie watching the art class segment - she’s 10 years old, and probably rarely allowed to play with paint before. She finally has a chance and gets in trouble for being a little messy in her attempt to be creative. I remember how exciting it was to get to work with paint or clay in elementary school art class. Those kids have few enough outlets for joy and expression - Jana had the same confinement as a kid, but now gets to enjoy gardening and other “messy” activities. She can’t find an ounce of empathy for her little sister?

I don't understand how they can't be allowed to get a little messy when they ARE messy. The lost girls seem almost feral, they are dirty, their hair is a mess, their clothes are ill-fitting and ratty, they never have shoes on, and their house is disgusting. Why would anyone care if they got paint on themselves? 

I don't think Jana has an ounce of empathy in her body. She strikes me as a very nasty holier than thou woman who thinks she's better than everyone. I've seen more empathy in Jessa, Jessa can appear to be downright sweet and human. Jill has always come across as a do gooder wanting to help everyone and wanting everyone to be happy. Jinger was always just part of the woodwork, Joy was/is a kid she's a tomboy she likes doing outdoor things, like hunting, fishing, playing with power tools, riding dirt bikes and horses. She girls up when she has to, but it seems pretty obvious she prefers the mud to the kitchen. Jana, seemed very sweet when she was younger, but I think years of resentment of having to baby sit her younger sisters and brothers, and raising her siblings while her parents did whatever the hell they wanted to. Jana was forced to go along on Jill's midwifery nonsense, she always had to be "the bigger person" giving Jessa her prized possession.  She's stood back and watched her younger siblings marry, even a sister nearly 10 years younger than her, all the while she's Cinderjana making/altering dresses and decorating OTHER peoples homes, while having to have her parents babysit her when she travels. 

Between the bitterness of raising 13 odd siblings while her parents vacation, and being heaped praises on for being such a "Godly woman/daughter/sister"  she's also gotten a little bit of an ego.  

This is all just MY OPINION of her from what I've seen of her on IG, the show and things people have said about her here and other places.  So hoping on that speculation bus, beep beep.  ?

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Remember when they were preparing something for their parents, and the younger kids weren't paying attention? Joy (?) threatened to get Jana, and they all shaped up in a hurry.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

I’m not sure Jana is bitter - I dare say there have been plenty of fundy groupie/suitors over the years - but I agree she comes across as holier than thou and I think is a supporter of the Duggar brand- it keeps her pretty comfortable. I think the TLC money and the adulation of the humpers has made them all feel entitled. She’s probably bored with the lame storylines for the show but it’s either that or the endless round of engagements, weddings, pregnancy announcements and gender reveals.

Edited by Idlewild
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, mpheels said:

I'm not sure I would have done differently from Jana dealing with Josie.  She wasn't listening, she was making a mess, and she started just slapping the paint around.  I'd have probably stopped her, too.  She's 10 and old enough to handle the idea of doing something more than trying to put a pile of paint on paper to make ridges.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

20 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm not sure I would have done differently from Jana dealing with Josie.  She wasn't listening, she was making a mess, and she started just slapping the paint around.  I'd have probably stopped her, too.  She's 10 and old enough to handle the idea of doing something more than trying to put a pile of paint on paper to make ridges.

Josie was a micro preemie who had a very rocky Nicu course. She might have some developmental lags. She seems light years behind Jordyn who is only 1 year older. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Josie was a micro preemie who had a very rocky Nicu course. She might have some developmental lags. She seems light years behind Jordyn who is only 1 year older. 

She also has been more or less unschooled. There was a shot of her final “product” at the end of the segment - it wasn’t just paint poured and splashed around. It actually looks like she was being purposeful, if a little messy. She is a child and was experimenting in a more or less age-appropriate way. If you don’t want a 10 year old to make a mess, don’t give them paint during a fake for the cameras art lesson. If you do give them paint, then put them in clothes that can get messy and sit them at a table that can also get messy. Even adult, professional artists get paint on thier clothes on and tables/floors.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Remember when they were preparing something for their parents, and the younger kids weren't paying attention? Joy (?) threatened to get Jana, and they all shaped up in a hurry.

it was the christmas/anniversary concert ep, I remember joy in that one say something along the lines of when you are told something "instantly obey" it was a little catch phrase...I was like woahhhhh part of me who always wanted perfectly behaved kids was like, I like that. The other half who knows what kids are like and felt sad that someone would be like that. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

and she is also the baby... 

I know a few babies of the family and they (to me) do seem a bit behind their peers because they are babied by the whole family and have things done for them... 

Josie was a very fragile baby I can imagine how extra "babied" she was. And you know what I can not even snark on them for that except that it came at the determent of their other children. 

Its sad that Josie is pretty much the only one who got all the attention a child deserves and needs. 

I was thinking how Josie is always the one being held.

My friend (who is 42 now) was talking to me about how he said his older sisters were talking about how their parents were not all that affectionate. He said he found that hard to believe as they had always been affectionate to him (about 8 year gap from him and his next sibling up). He did concede that he was the baby and "got away' with it. He also stated that he would just go up and get on their lap for a snuggle, and may have been more 'forceful" in getting affection.

It made me think of Josie and remember, she is the baby, she is used to the affection and therefore she is used to "getting away with" climbing on her parent's lap and not being pushed off, where as I don't think the other littlies, like Jen and Jordyn are like that. Hence why we, sadly see their awkwardness with their parents.

Anyway that was a tangent not related to the thread, thanks for reading if you got this far.

• Upvote 12

2 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

and she is also the baby... 

I know a few babies of the family and they (to me) do seem a bit behind their peers because they are babied by the whole family and have things done for them... 

Josie was a very fragile baby I can imagine how extra "babied" she was. And you know what I can not even snark on them for that except that it came at the determent of their other children. 

Its sad that Josie is pretty much the only one who got all the attention a child deserves and needs. 

I was thinking how Josie is always the one being held.

My friend (who is 42 now) was talking to me about how he said his older sisters were talking about how their parents were not all that affectionate. He said he found that hard to believe as they had always been affectionate to him (about 8 year gap from him and his next sibling up). He did concede that he was the baby and "got away' with it. He also stated that he would just go up and get on their lap for a snuggle, and may have been more 'forceful" in getting affection.

It made me think of Josie and remember, she is the baby, she is used to the affection and therefore she is used to "getting away with" climbing on her parent's lap and not being pushed off, where as I don't think the other littlies, like Jen and Jordyn are like that. Hence why we, sadly see their awkwardness with their parents.

Anyway that was a tangent not related to the thread, thanks for reading if you got this far.

Josie never got replaced, so she had (still has)many laps, most importantly her parents’ laps, still available to her.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

She may indeed, but she has appeared to be overly catered to and a little structure is probably good for her.  She should be able to handle something more than a three old paint smearing.  She seems to get her own way quite a bit.

She appears to have gone back and done more to the painting after Jana sent her away since she was just splashing paint at the time Jana told her she was done.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

She may indeed, but she has appeared to be overly catered to and a little structure is probably good for her.  She should be able to handle something more than a three old paint smearing.  She seems to get her own way quite a bit.

She appears to have gone back and done more to the painting after Jana sent her away since she was just splashing paint at the time Jana told her she was done.

She might have fixed it, or maybe someone else doctored her work to make it appear more palatable. Yes, and she likely has the entitled brat gene too.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I haven’t watched the episode but I wonder if Abbie realizes many people rear-face kids in car seats way past 12mo (because it’s safer). 

Edited by coffeebean7
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

I haven’t watched the episode but I wonder if Abbie realizes many people rear-face kids in car seats way past 12mo (because it’s safer). 

I think you may mean Kendra, not Abbie?  Either way, I was bummed to see Kendra forward face Garrett already. You’d think with so many kids in her family that she would know. 
In my state (Ohio) rear facing is required till a child is 2. I can’t tell you how many of my friends with kids don’t know this, though. It’s significantly safer, so you would think that it would be more popular to do. People are shocked my 2 year old who weighs 23 pounds is still rear facing. She’s a peanut and she’ll be staying that way for a while. 

*I feel like I should add I’m not one of those psycho car seat moms trolling Facebook yelling at random people about chest clip placement ? But I let my fellow parent friends know the facts about rear facing. 

• Upvote 7

The last time I was in Arkansas legally rear facing was only required to age 1 and too many people stop at checking state law.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mpheels said:

I got the impression from Jana in that scene is that what she really needs is space from her sisters/ family. LIke, that is how I might respond if I still had to share a bedroom with 4 sisters half my age and younger, in a chaotic household where I couldn't ever get a job or move out. I think Jana's garden, her greenhouse and her shed etc are obviously how she escapes from her family. This was in the lockdown episode, right? I am a complete homebody and so I had no trouble not going out during lockdown, but I found it really hard not ever having a break from my family, who I love and get on really well with generally (hence me living with them), but the constant contact made me very prickly. Jana I think must exercise extraordinary patience generally, and this was just an occasion where it wore out.

What I actually came here to say was I loved so much in the recent episode Jinger referencing that she used to say she wanted to marry a man who lived in a big city, because it reminded me of how we snarked on Jill SO MUCH for saying Jinger should try to practice contentment, and how Jill is now ~free (or on her way to it) (while Jinger is doomed to be OfBooks for the rest of her life). I'm so glad Jill didn't take her own advice!

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic