IGNORED

Mrs. Midwest 2: Full of WTF

nelliebelle1197

5 minutes ago, kaluce said:

How on earth is this feminine. These look like men’s work pants!!

498CFEDF-47E4-4155-9278-AC99094DD000.png

Because she has long blonde hair, big boobs, and lots of makeup. 

If she saw me in that exact same outfit, she would call me butch. 

• Upvote 7

41 minutes ago, kaluce said:

How on earth is this feminine. These look like men’s work pants!!

498CFEDF-47E4-4155-9278-AC99094DD000.png

I hate this kind of pics. Hold the phone that way it doesn't cover up the your face and take your eyes away from the screen. Or if you just want to show of your Rosie the Reveter cosplay outfit, let husblergh take the pic. Way more engaging to your viewers than look with your eyes glued to the screen. Heaven, this woman makes me go bec everytime I look in her thread and I try to don't have carbs after 5pm, argh

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

I hate this kind of pics. Hold the phone that way it doesn't cover up the your face and take your eyes away from the screen. Or if you just want to show of your Rosie the Reveter cosplay outfit, let husblergh take the pic. Way more engaging to your viewers than look with your eyes glued to the screen. Heaven, this woman makes me go bec everytime I look in her thread and I try to don't have carbs after 5pm, argh

In the video posted on the last page, she literally said we should be on our technology less. Watching the phone all the time isn't showing your femininity. 

• Upvote 3

I have been entertaining myself coming up with what OOTD is an abbreviation for. Overtly Ogling The Device?

Also (Yes, totally BEC here) it makes her look cross-eyed.

• Upvote 3

in her recent video caitlin said she surrounds herself with innocent content to protect her inoocence. umm i think she forgot about yogi oabs and his interest in young girls that is NOT innocent caitlin 

• Upvote 4

Has she liked or shared anything from Yogi lately? It looks like she still follows his twitter, but her activity on there has been pretty light and she's recently only liked some Bachelor content (LOL wtf that show isn't very _classy_ Cait), and some other SAHW people. She isn't following his many new instagram accounts. 

I think she saw a man who had an audience and used him and his attraction to her in order to gain followers. Which is shrewd of her and very against her advice of "social climbing". 

• I Agree 1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, Ozlsn said:

I have been entertaining myself coming up with what OOTD is an abbreviation for. Overtly Ogling The Device?

Also (Yes, totally BEC here) it makes her look cross-eyed.

Outfit Of The Day

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3

Anyone wanna take one for the team? I'm sure my vision would never recover from the eyerolling that would occur? 

Also, shots everytime she says she's "pretty punk rock"?

image.png.8bf8adc0f1794534e35145b9582af8c7.png

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 8

Hahahahahaha. <- my reaction to the title alone.

If someone else hasn't bitten that bullet by the time I get home in ~5 hours, I'll do it. I bet it's eyeroll-inducing!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

"Counter culturally". For real.

On Insta. 

I do kind of find it amusing that she needs to show how totally different to the monolithic masses she is by dressing entirely in accordance with local social norms and with her culture's standards of beauty in mind. Because that makes her super different and special!

I also love how she apparently sees US culture as one homogenous thing - when what I think she means is the part of US culture that she is familiar with. Not sure she's very far outside even those boundaries either.

44 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

Hahahahahaha. <- my reaction to the title alone.

If someone else hasn't bitten that bullet by the time I get home in ~5 hours, I'll do it. I bet it's eyeroll-inducing!

I am happy to leave it to you... not taking that bet! 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

"Counter culturally". For real.

On Insta. 

I do kind of find it amusing that she needs to show how totally different to the monolithic masses she is by dressing entirely in accordance with local social norms and with her culture's standards of beauty in mind. Because that makes her super different and special!

I also love how she apparently sees US culture as one homogenous thing - when what I think she means is the part of US culture that she is familiar with. Not sure she's very far outside even those boundaries either.

I am happy to leave it to you... not taking that bet! 

I think she confused mass US culture with young people's instagram culture- she's so isolated she thinks that people's online lifes are 100% fact. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

I’m going in!

I started watching earlier, accidentally started posting my snark in Zoo’s threads, and then I had to focus on other things for a while. So...if you don’t hear from me within an hour or so, please send ferrets & vodka. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I am so bored right now I decided to get an early start!

First off: Apparently there's a lot of assumptions made about people who live traditionally... is she Amish? No? Mhm.
She talks a good game about how it's not fair if we want diversity in our world (which includes diversity of religion).
She sees a lot of similarities in the way young women on YT live... I can't imagine why! Not many people want to be locked down on the farm.
She is making this video to present an alternative lifestyle, which "maybe not a lot of you are familiar with"... but then she says since she began YT it's clear to her that a lot of women still live traditional lifestyles? But I thought she was unique and SAHWhood was a dying art?!
I would have a much easier time believing her when she talks about diversity if it wasn't for her Twitter.
Alright, so the list!

Spoiler

1.) Dressing femininely (that doesn't sound like proper English, but okay) - trying to avoid androgynous clothing, super casual clothing, daily athleisure. She doesn't wear leggings / yoga pants.
2.) Embracing the home making life. She still considers herself a homemaker because she couldn't survive off the ad money from YT and her blog - it's also not her main priority. She regularly turns down sponsorship / interview / exposure opportunities. Young women are told the way to be confident / empowered is by a career.
3.) She doesn't prioritize or obsess about travel. I have to admit, I've never been travel-shamed so I have no idea what she's talking about.
4.) She avoids spending a ton of money on products. OMG me too!!!! #counterculture4lyfe I guess she hasn't noticed the minimalism movement... but hey, I'm glad she tries to lower her overall consumption. The earth appreciates that.
5.) She doesn't go to trendy restaurants/clubs/concerts/events. Is there an emphasis on those things? I see people do them, but I've never felt pressured to do so... I'm also a homebody, so... I'm 2/5 so far! #counterculture4lyfe
6.) She doesn't use horoscopes... many people have asked what her sign is but it's not something that fits within her religion. Lol, I read my horoscope if I come across it, but I don't believe in it or seek it out, so... 3/6! #counterculture4lyfe She says it's become "part of the mainstream culture" but... I mean, horoscopes have been in newspapers for as long as I can remember, so...
7.) She also doesn't 'engage with Enneagram'. But she was interested in it a year ago... I'm not so sure this really counts as counter culture? Well, I guess I've seen it on some Instagram profile bios... I took the test, but I haven't done anything with my result like put it on my bio, so... 4/7! #countercultureforlyfe
Oh: she sees a connection between Enneagram and Christian women, but to her it feels like a distraction from scripture. She wants to prioritize scripture over "any personality framework".
8.) She works out for enjoyment rather than aesthetics. I have never heard of a 'body check in' but apparently that's a thing on YT and she's gonna pass on that. She made her own videos about her "weight loss journey"... didn't she lose like 15lbs by changing her diet and walking????
9.) She eats traditionally. Veganism/dairy free/vegetarianism has 'swept YT' so apparently many of her viewers have been shocked to find out that she's none of the above. She has more of an emphasis on animal products in her diet. She did have a more smoothie/salad heavy diet, but then she began thinking of ancestral eating and... apparently that's not very common there? In Michigan??? Oh no, she meant YT. She also doesn't think being veg or dairy free is counter cultural anymore. Because it's just so common on YT. 
10.) She practises modesty. This is extremely countercultural because there's a huge emphasis placed on women's empowerment being found in exposing her body. Silly me, I was thinking it was found in the right to vote and have my own apartment, things like that! BTW, if that's true how come I still can't walk around topless?
11.) She doesn't engage with trendy Christian books. She prefers John McArthur / John Piper when she wants to dive deeper into scripture.
Note: I had no idea 'Girl, Wash your Face' was Christian. Oops.
12.) She married young. She got married a few months after her 22nd birthday. Psh, I have classmates that got married within a year after HS!
13.) She's a Christian. Our culture is primarily agnostic / atheist / spiritual but not religious. She thinks there's a cultural disgust especially toward Christians. "It causes a lot of people to go into hiding, it causes a lot of people not to share their faith and to be open about their faith". But hey, she doesn't want to live in a bubble and only interact with Christians!

It really wasn't that bad until #13... but given how many 'Christians' are in our government right now, trying to legislate their beliefs on everyone else... I just have to roll my eyes. Also, it causes people to go into hiding? I feel that's distasteful. No one is hiding that they're a Christian, and if they are, it's likely they're afraid of judgment, in which case they should reconsider their friends.

She seems to be going off what she's seeing on YouTube, and not what she's seeing in her real life. So, my advice: spend less time watching YouTube videos.

13 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I’m going in!

I started watching earlier, accidentally started posting my snark in Zoo’s threads, and then I had to focus on other things for a while. So...if you don’t hear from me within an hour or so, please send ferrets & vodka. 

Sorry Giraffe ? I work for a service company but most of our clients are WFH for the foreseeable future soooo I'm getting very bored at my desk!

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

Sorry Giraffe ? I work for a service company but most of our clients are WFH for the foreseeable future soooo I'm getting very bored at my desk!

Bless you, my child! I’m 3:32 in and started wondering wth I got myself into! I salute you and your free time for your perseverance! 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Bless you, my child! I’m 3:32 in and started wondering wth I got myself into! I salute you and your free time for your perseverance! 

Haha, thank you! On the bright side, when you have to be somewhere but you have no one around you and nothing to do, her videos start looking like a pretty good option! 

1 minute ago, kaluce said:

How is being Christian countercultural omg she lives in the USA. GOD IS ON OUR CURRENCY 

Ooooo I can’t. 

... that is a very good point!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry, @AmericanRose! I already watched her video by the time you posted! Maybe we can have two perspectives? Since, like what you said about how she claims to be sooo traditional, yet is not actually all that traditional, I have taken the liberty to rebrand her version of "traditionalism" as "TURDitionalism" because that's what it is.

Okay, BECs, buckle up because this one's an eye-roller! 

13 Ways I Live Counter-Culturally. Just gotta point out that she had "13 ways" on Friday the 13th. Coincidence or not?

Intro: She rants about how people judge her for living TURDitionally. Twists the diversity argument in her favor to include diversity of lifestyles. She wants to present an "alternative lifestyle" to young women. Since she began her channel, it's been very clear to her that there are still many people, women especially, that live TURDitionally like she does.

1. Dressing Femininely. She avoids androgynous, casual clothing, and athleisure, and "prefers to present very femininely." Based on our recent discussions about her questionable outfits, I think its safe to say she is entering hypocrisy territory here. Then she goes on to shame leggings. Hey, Caitlin, I got a new nickname for you -- legging-shamer. (On a personal note, since I haven't been to school or work because of the corona shutting everything down, all I have worn for the past week are leggings.)

2. Embrace the Homemaking Life. And yes, she does still consider herself a homemaker and not career oriented. I bet she's reading here. This point is basically her defending her YouTube as a hobby, not "some sort of business." She states that her priorities are her "homemaking, her husband and her growing family." UMmmm... what "growing" family? Is she referring to her "feminine family" or her dog? I may never know.

3. Not prioritizing or obsessing about travel. She shares that this has been a trend since photography on social media, which, she believes, is a form of "escapism." She explains how "idolotry of travel" is a problem for poor or busy people. Interesting topic considering the corona virus right now.

4. Avoiding spending a ton of money on products, clothing, and doing hauls. She tells us how there is a MASSIVE culture of buying items and wearing them once. Caitlin, do your thrift hauls of ugly outfits you only wear once mean nothing to you? She prioritizes stewarding things she already owns. Sure, Caitlin. We see you buying trinket-y mushroom decor to clutter your home with! She shares that she has struggled in past with using shopping as a "salve to [her] wounded soul." Yes, we know, we can tell, and we are concerned for you. Caitlin, please go get the help you need. She ends this point by saying that she doesn't encourage consumerism, but apparently her thrifting doesn't count as consumerism.

My commentary on her shopping struggles: "making shopping choices helps people restore a lost sense of personal control, and by doing so alleviates sadness." I am guessing that her husband holds a lot of control on her life. She has probably struggled with loneliness, depression, and sadness. Under those circumstances, it is very natural for her to use shopping as therapy.

5. Not going to trendy restaurants, concerts, clubs, events. She is into exploring food/life at home through slow-living. It's not about status. It's about "very basic kind of TURDitional ways to connect with other people," playing card games, walks, and other old fashioned ways to spend leisure time.

6. She does not use horoscopes! It doesn't fit in with her religion. And apparently it's mainstream culture now.

7. She also doesn't engage in enneagram. She was into it a year ago for a while. She explains how it's popular in Christian women, but it's really a distraction from Scripture. She then goes into a preachy rant. 

8. Working out for enjoyment rather than aesthetics. She used to want to be toned, but now realizes that working out has become a hobby that's part of the wider culture. She tells us that bodies are private. Working out for looks takes joy out of working out. She loves walking and chores as her exercise to stay healthy! Working out for looks makes her feel like a science experiment -- what a strange thought, Caitlin. She says that we don't have to look a certain way in order to thrive as a person, yet we do not see her practicing this piece of advice.

9. I eat traditionally! She enlightens us that veganism, dairy-free, and vegetarianism has SWEPT YouTube. She emphasizes animal products, ancestral, and TURDitional eating. she wants to emphasize that she eats TURDitionally because there are so few *she scoffs* people who eat traditionally. Basically she elevates herself for her diet. 

10. How I practice modesty. She gives a shout-out to her first trending video. "Modesty is counter-cultural in our modern world!"

11. By not engaging in trendy Christian books. She doesn't like emotion-heavy, pseudo-spiritual trendy books, podcasts, or videos that target women. She prefers the Bible and theologically-sound, doctrine-focused kind of approach. She says it traps them in a feel good message that won't help you. 

12. Getting married young. Very smugly says she got married at 22, a few months after her birthday. But! she believes it's more important to marry right person than at right age, and there is a cultural shift that people are not ready to get married if they are under the age of 25. She explains to us that by not getting married by age 30, people are really just avoiding commitment. She says there's a modern belief of extended adolescence, but I guess she does not realize that she herself also has extended adolescence, but within her marriage. 

13. By being a Christian. She emphasizes that "saying you're a Christian, part of a religion, is so TURDitional and anti-modern that many people get ROASTED for it! Especially on YouTube." Is she referring to Mr. Atheist or Jaclyn Glenn? She then goes into another preachy rant. 

Conclusion: She wishes us a counter-cultural week and blows us a kiss with two fingers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

That's okay, @Perrierwithlemon! It's fun to see someone else's take. :D

#13 bothers me so much.... also, pretty much everything she's saying is popular on Youtube. I'm pretty sure Youtube is not yet an indication of everyday life for most people.

• I Agree 3

Imagine having such a twisted way of thinking that you honestly believe living 'traditionally' in the US is counterculture... A young, pretty, stay at home wife living as a Christian in the Midwest thinks she's basically being persecuted for her way of life. Honestly, it's so embarrassing to watch her paint herself as some kind of martyr for her 'cause'. 

And really: not liking travel, fine dining, cultural events, or physical activity is basically the epitome of the Ugly American stereotype. Caitlin, do us all a favor and stick to the denim mumu and the fake bread making.

• I Agree 10

1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:

She seems to be going off what she's seeing on YouTube, and not what she's seeing in her real life. So, my advice: spend less time watching YouTube videos.

And get out of the house, work or volunteer somewhere and see the world outside her bubble. Sheesh.

1 hour ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

She states that her priorities are her "homemaking, her husband and her growing family."

Oh dear, she is up the duff then.

Not prioritizing or obsessing about travel. She shares that this has been a trend since photography on social media, which, she believes, is a form of "escapism."

Lol, no shit Sherlock! Although... does she mean social media travel posts or travel itself exactly here? Because while travel can be a form of escapism it can also be a huge learning curve if you're the one doing it. Arguing that reading travel posts on social media is escapism is true, but so is reading posts on decluttering, gardening, etc. If she doesn't want to travel, there is no shame in that - but some people love seeing different places. 

Modesty is counter-cultural in our modern world!"

Modesty is a cultural construct. God she's a moron. What she is wearing would be considered immodest in any number of times and places, including now. Bright lipstick, form fitting clothes, various body parts visible - she has no idea how anyone outside her YouTube bubble lives.

Conclusion: She wishes us a counter-cultural week and blows us a kiss with two fingers. 

Um... pretty sure that was not the two finger salute I was thinking of, but it made me laugh.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I personally don’t like enneagram because it’s so popular amongst Christians. I can’t help it. I have a lot of negative personal associations with Christianity therefore I will automatically dislike something beloved by the Christian community. This is why I have such distaste for Magnolia Market in TX.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 3

I'm bored, working from home for at least the next month, and Caitlin has inspired me.  So I watched her video and decided to see how I measured up, especially in light of my newfound stay-at-home wifehood.  My thoughts under the spoiler for brevity's sake:

Advanced issues found

Spoiler
  1. Dressing Counter-Culturally. I wear skirts/dress about 50% of the time.  They’re comfortable and look professional, so why not?  However, now that I’m working primarily from home via video call, my husband reminded me I can wear leggings every day and no one will be the wiser.  So I award myself a half-point for a femininely dressed top half (and for heeding my headships advice). 0.5/1
  2. Working Counter-Culturally. Thanks to my SAHW status, I will probably be cooking, cleaning, and otherwise cavorting about my home more frequently.  But I’ll still be paying the bills through work, so that’s a strike against me. Once again, 0.5/1
  3. Staying Put Counter-Culturally.  While I’m young and healthy (probably close in age to Mrs. Midwest), you better believe your girl is limiting all travel out of care for the people I may encounter. I’m so traditional, y’all. 1/1
  4. Shopping Counter-Culturally.  Beautiful people, I went to the store Wednesday night.  And I only bought the essentials (and some hazelnut M&Ms) because I am so counter-cultural.  Plus, I was in a hurry and like to stay within my budget. That’s holiness right there, I’m telling you.  1/1
  5. Staying Home Counter-Culturally.  See #3.  I’m soooo TRADITIONAL.  1/1
  6. Avoiding Horoscopes Counter-Culturally.  I’ve never really looked into horoscopes. No reason why.  But I’m stuck at home and bored, so that may be about to change. I’ll still award myself a 1/1 while it lasts.
  7. Avoiding the Enneagram Counter-Culturally.  Full confession: I’m a bit of an enneagram nut.  I’ve read the books, I’ve listened to the podcasts, and my husbear and I enjoy guessing characters’ numbers on Netflix shows.  Spending more time in the house will only feed the beast. And I was doing so well on this test... 0/1
  8. Exercising Counter-Culturally.  Legitimately had no idea this was a thing.  I’m doing Fitness Blender videos and taking walks because my apartment is small and I’ve got to find a way to keep my blood moving. I struggled with an eating disorder in high school and try to avoid thinking of exercise as a way to change my body.  So apparently I’m counter-cultural? 1/1
  9. Eating Counter-Culturally. I’m not following a diet. I’m trying to explore new recipes because I have the time. Look how holy I am. 1/1
  10. Dressing Counter-Culturally (Again). See #1. I’m not defrauding anyone from the comfort of my home, but then again, leggings are a gift from Rufus to humankind. 0.5/1
  11. Reading Counter-Culturally.  This reminds me that I’ve been wanting to read some Rachel Held Evans and Sarah Bessey (never read either). And now I have the time. 0/1
  12. Getting Married Counter-Culturally.  I married at 21.  So I’m holier than thou, Caitlin. No clue how this connects to being stuck at home, but my husbear is mostly stuck at home too. We plan to binge Love Is Blind tomorrow. (We’re obviously so wise and mature.) 1/1
  13. Being a Christian Counter-Culturally. I’m a Christian.  And my efforts to love my neighbor and keep myself at home do not come from a lack of trust in God.  But I had no idea that was counter-cultural. So I learned something tonight. 1/1

Final count: 9.5/13.  I hereby declare myself Mrs. Southeast, the counter-cultural queen of living a pretty normal life under the circumstances.  Who knew that I was being so controversial?  Off to find some bright lipstick and a shirt that highlights my curves!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • Thank You 1

Honestly, this video felt like she just came up with 13 ways of how she lives her life -- 13 things that aren't necessarily even countercultural. Watching it, I do not think she thought anything through. Even the points were not parallel in a grammatical sense, which kinda bothered me. Here she is, criticizing travel, eating out, new experiences, etc. when she herself is the one who could really use that. She needs perspective. I don't even think she understands what "counterculture" is. When I hear "countercultural," I think of the beginnings of punk rock in England, dadaism, liberation, feminism, the origins of pop art, etc. None of which are anything remotely like Mrs. Midwest! Mrs. Midwest is the embodiment of the exact culture that most forms of counterculture is against! My poor brain still can't wrap my head around the fact that she made a 20 minute video talking about something she does not understand -- how she is "countercultural" when she is not countercultural in the first place.

I also graded myself like @EmmaWoodhouse and I'm a 6/13 lol

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

Ok, thought I'd have a go at this too. I will undoubtedly fail, not least as  I currently work full time outside the home... this is likely to change in the next couple of weeks to full time from home - close enough, right?

Spoiler

1. Dressing counter-culturally

I wear pants (jeans, capris, trackies, work pants, running leggings, etc) pretty much all the time. In fact I really only wear skirts/dresses to weddings, funerals and other formal things (last was a high tea or a gala, forget which). So, um, fail?

2. Working counter-culturally

Yeah, nah, not at present. I did spend 6 years at home as a stay-at-home mum, which is kind of counter-cultural in that I did intend to go back to work sooner. Having a child with additional needs both developmental and medical kind of stuffed that. Caitlin has no freaking clue about how unexpectedly life can change on you.

3. Staying put counter-culturally

I'm all in favour of travel, although not right now. Even when it calms down again it's still tricky... but I'll keep planning anyway. So fail again. 

4. Shopping counter-culturally

I bought one (1) packet of toilet paper because that was what we needed. Given the panic buying atm I am totally counter-cultural. Win!

5. Staying home counter-culturally.

Honestly there is still a level of "what does this even mean ffs". As previous.

6. Avoiding horoscopes counter-cultural.

I'll read it if I see it but I don't take it to heart or seek it out. I do also know my Lunar animal and element, so there's that too (And my husband and I have totally incompatible lunar signs/elements, which is why we've been together since 1996.)

Knowing that probably makes it a fail

7. Avoiding the... what is that? I have no idea at all. Win!

8. Exercising counter-culturally.

I exercise for many reasons including health, sanity, social, chocolate intake mitigation, and yes, toning. But mostly for fun. So fail.

9. Eating counter-culturally.

Outside of YouTube that would be vegan or keto or similar. By her logic I win! 

10.dressing counter-culturally (again)

Oh for the love of Caitlin. I wear clothes that I could travel comfortably in, including to areas with different modesty standards. Still fail, but probably more so because I also wear a hat in the sun, sunscreen but rarely makeup (same events as dresses).  Also I love polar fleeces, they are a gift in the cold months.

11. Reading counter-culturally. 

I read... widely. I actually have no idea what she means by this, so probably a fail.

12. Getting married counter-culturally 

Yeah, fail. Shacked up for an extended period. And travelled! For our honeymoon even! Double fail.

13.Being a Christian counter-culturally. 

Given how some of the self-identified "Christians" act I think pretty much anyone who has read the Gospels and actually follows (or tries to follow) any of Christ's teachings counts, whether they identify as Christian or not. Heal the sick? Help the poor? Welcome the refugees? Love your neighbour? Yeah, win for most of us. (Ok, judge not... less so!)

So... 4.5 (I'm including half for the SAHM period)/13. Better than I thought!

• Upvote 1

She reminds me of me in my 2005 Simple Plan/Greenday fase. "NoBodY UnDerStAnDs Me AnD I Am SoOoO UnIQUe.."

• Haha 5

• Coconut Flan locked, unlocked and locked this topic