IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 21: This Thread Can Drink Now

choralcrusader8613

The fact that the Ingall's  girls were usually malnourished, got Lice and most likely had parasites and/or Worms never made into one of Michael Landons scripts for some reason :)   

• Upvote 11

13 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

The fact that the Ingall's  girls were usually malnourished, got Lice and most likely had parasites and/or Worms never made into one of Michael Landons scripts for some reason :)   

Worms, lice, and malnourishment may not have but a whole lot of other shit sure did.  I recently went back and rewatched the first couple seasons and I'm like what the actual fuck how did this pass for family television. In the first season alone we get, not only the death of their son (which did really happen), but Laura blaming herself for it and running away because she didn't pray hard enough, and a child nearly beat to death by his own father but it's okay he recovers and goes back to live with the now found Jesus dad.

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

good point! I am sure it's really upset a lot of people - it's not just about Laura, is it, people still build their family heritage and identities around the way her books portrayed life. If you undermine her stories you undermine your own' family's story. Not even that they were terrible people, just that the reality of generations of hopeless poverty is crushing, not romantic, and that if we are looking for a simpler or more morally straightforward time, that wasn't it. 

I loved the Little House books but I really enjoyed seeing them in their context, and actually I guess their 'making of' - how such a fiction came about at that moment in time, and particularly Rose's input. Memoirs always reflect the times in which they're written, but these books particularly fed off and shaped a national consciousness. 

I found Rose's story and life to be particularly interesting. I never knew anything about her. There was some huge parental dysfunction going on between Rose and Laura. I felt there were still unrevealed secrets between mother and daughter that caused some strife and bitterness. Or I'm over-thinking it.  

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Worms, lice, and malnourishment may not have but a whole lot of other shit sure did.  I recently went back and rewatched the first couple seasons and I'm like what the actual fuck how did this pass for family television. In the first season alone we get, not only the death of their son (which did really happen), but Laura blaming herself for it and running away because she didn't pray hard enough, and a child nearly beat to death by his own father but it's okay he recovers and goes back to live with the now found Jesus dad.

I totally agree. I’ve rewatched as an adult and so many of the episodes have pretty dark storylines...

And many pink shirts for the farmers with the 70s hairdos. ?

• Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

I found Rose's story and life to be particularly interesting. I never knew anything about her. There was some huge parental dysfunction going on between Rose and Laura. I felt there were still unrevealed secrets between mother and daughter that caused some strife and bitterness. Or I'm over-thinking it.  

You're not overthinking it - there was.

You know we have a LIW club for those who want to join.  I'd love to discuss prairie fires and pioneer girl.

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You're not overthinking it - there was.

You know we have a LIW club for those who want to join.  I'd love to discuss prairie fires and pioneer girl.

When you have a minute, could you point me in the right direction for this club?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mollysmom said:

When you have a minute, could you point me in the right direction for this club?

Your wish, my command.

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Can someone summarize the parental dysfunction? I would love to know more as I've never heard about that.

A lot of it was that Rose seems to have been mentally ill, maybe bipolar. Laura admits to having a bad temper in the books, but they end before we see how that impacted Rose. Rose blamed herself for the fire that burned down the family’s first home, and while that’s irrational since she was only a toddler, Laura doesn’t seem to have reassured her that it wasn’t her fault. The family was very poor and rural in their life in Missouri. Rose particularly hated that, and got the hell out the minute she could. So a lot of it was a city/country clash. Plus they communicated through letters that survive, so it’s all on paper (unlike our tense phone calls with our moms).

Rose was a successful writer first, and she wasn’t above using stories her mother had told her. She also had a lifestyle that could politely be called bohemian, so her parents and their friends and relatives didn’t always approve of her. Then both the farm and Rose’s career were successful in the 20s, and Rose insisted that her parents invest with her broker. Whoops, stock market crash! More resentment! Time for Laura to start writing books that were heavily edited, even rewritten, by Rose, who of course got no credit or payment. Her mother became widely beloved, and I’ll bet Rose had some mixed feelings about that.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 6

The fundies are behind on how to handle Instragram & their kids.  The Mormon family vloggers (who all have insta accounts) set up parent controlled accounts for the kids and tag the kid account with an @ in all the Insta posts.  (I seem to recall Carlin doin this for her baby)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I’ve rewatched ["Little House"] as an adult and so many of the episodes have pretty dark storylines...

I think back to the episode where [TW: assault]

Spoiler

Albert's girlfriend gets raped

and I'm kind of amazed in retrospect that my conservative parents let us keep watching (we were pretty young). It would have been a good teachable moment but there was only awkward silence.

• I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Hide contents

and I'm kind of amazed in retrospect that my conservative parents let us keep watching (we were pretty young). It would have been a good teachable moment but there was only awkward silence.

That is the one episode I refuse to watch again.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Hide contents

Yeah, I checked them out from the library and fortunately there was a written episode summary for each. I skipped all the abuse, assault, violent deaths, and warped parent-child relationships...of which there were so many 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Reading all these "Little House On The Prairie" posts reminds me of how much my mom hated that show.  She couldn't understand why my sister and I insisted on watching it every week-Wednesday nights at 8 PM.  She used to say that someone always cried for some reason in every episode, and with some of the mature storylines the show took on, that it really wasn't a nice show for kids at all.  In retrospect, I guess she was onto something after all.   

Looking back, my sister and I liked the show because it was about girls around our age at the time.  My sister was a fan of Melissa Gilbert (Laura), and I always thought Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary) was so pretty.  And being picked on by kids at school ourselves, we both enjoyed seeing Nellie Oleson getting her comeuppance on a regular basis.    

And I have to add my two cents about Albert....he really developed into such a dark character.  I remember when he burned down the school for the blind which caused poor Mary's baby to perish, and when he developed a morphine addiction.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!  

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • Love 3

18 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

My sister was a fan of Melissa Gilbert (Laura)

I've always liked Melissa Gilbert. I'm a big Babylon 5 fan; Melissa was married to Bruce Boxleitner who was the main B5 star for seasons 2-5, and they gave Melissa an amazing role in the middle of the story arc. (I won't say any more because it was a dramatic reveal.) It must have been great to get to do scenes together.

Sadly they are now divorced, as so many other Hollywood couples are.

• Upvote 1

I just had the biggest epiphany. I, too, have watched Little House in the Prairie as a child. Not frequently, and I only faintly remember the plot, but I never made the connection between the German and English titles. Until now, obviously... I was a really sensitive child, I believe, and found the series very dark at times so didn’t thoroughly enjoy it. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

I've always liked Melissa Gilbert. I'm a big Babylon 5 fan; Melissa was married to Bruce Boxleitner who was the main B5 star for seasons 2-5, and they gave Melissa an amazing role in the middle of the story arc. (I won't say any more because it was a dramatic reveal.) It must have been great to get to do scenes together.

Sadly they are now divorced, as so many other Hollywood couples are.

I remember when she dated Rob Lowe in the '80s.  They were together for quite awhile.   

Back to Melissa and Bruce...it amazed me how Melissa loved Bruce from the time she was a kid.  I believe they worked together on a show and she developed a major crush on him.   They did make a great couple.  I remember reading how she told Dakota, her son from her first marriage " It's all right.  You can like Bruce.  It's okay with Daddy (Bo Brinkman, Dakota's dad/Melissa's first husband)".   

And Melissa Gilbert always delivered a solid performance in USA Network and Lifetime movies!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Anna is doing more Trump worship on Instagram- she really loves her sexual predators does Anna! 

I know you were just making an offhand comment, but there is truth to it.

I do think Anna, in particular, loves Trump beyond the racist, misogynistic agenda.  Trump is so awful and has been accused of so much, including child rape, and he is beloved by everyone she knows and "persecuted" by all the heathens.  

So if Trump is a savior despite all he's done, how could Josh be that bad.  He's a giant orange gift of denial for her.

Another question, why is she always straining her neck like that.  My mom did that when she was upset and not saying anything ---but maybe she's trying to do the Jinger floating head thing.  It looks painful.

• Upvote 20

I’ve noticed that jutting your head thing with a few people- Jinger is the most obvious one but I even saw it with young women on the photos of a wedding I attended recently. They must think it looks good?

And on the Trump love - many of his Christian supporters claim he was ‘saved’ shortly before he ran for election ( now there’s convenient, as my mum would say!). Thus all previous sins are wiped clean. I think Anna really likes this idea that the past is wiped so she can convince herself she is a godly wife and not an appalling mother.

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

And on the Trump love - many of his Christian supporters claim he was ‘saved’ shortly before he ran for election ( now there’s convenient, as my mum would say!). Thus all previous sins are wiped clean. I think Anna really likes this idea that the past is wiped so she can convince herself she is a godly wife and not an appalling mother.

Absolutely.

She’s made up her mind and has decided looking like pretending like they’re a happy family for Jesus is better than facing the consequences of the truth and living in reality.

Edited by Giraffe
Tweaking my wording
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

She’s made up her mind and has decided looking like pretending like they’re a happy family for Jesus is better than facing the consequences of the truth and living in reality.

Better for her.  Maybe she should try thinking about what's best for her babies for once.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:59 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

Reading all these "Little House On The Prairie" posts reminds me of how much my mom hated that show.  She couldn't understand why my sister and I insisted on watching it every week-Wednesday nights at 8 PM.  She used to say that someone always cried for some reason in every episode, and with some of the mature storylines the show took on, that it really wasn't a nice show for kids at all.  In retrospect, I guess she was onto something after all.   

Looking back, my sister and I liked the show because it was about girls around our age at the time.  My sister was a fan of Melissa Gilbert (Laura), and I always thought Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary) was so pretty.  And being picked on by kids at school ourselves, we both enjoyed seeing Nellie Oleson getting her comeuppance on a regular basis.    

And I have to add my two cents about Albert....he really developed into such a dark character.  I remember when he burned down the school for the blind which caused poor Mary's baby to perish, and when he developed a morphine addiction.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!  

Albert also ended up getting leukemia while trying to get in med school. Or was he already in med school??

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic