IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 21: This Thread Can Drink Now

choralcrusader8613

I don't use twitter or Instagram so this may be a stupid question, but why is she hashtagging the kids names individually?

Isn't that for people to repeat so things trend?  I would prefer #Meredith to stand for that guy from the Amazing Race - of Meredith and Gretchen.

36 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I know! I will admit that I find most thread drifts way more informative and interesting than the fundies we discuss ;) 

I’m into my fourth decade, and realizing more and more how much I have to learn (to very loosely paraphrase Socrates).

• Upvote 6

56 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't use twitter or Instagram so this may be a stupid question, but why is she hashtagging the kids names individually?

Isn't that for people to repeat so things trend?  I would prefer #Meredith to stand for that guy from the Amazing Race - of Meredith and Gretchen.

I’m no social media expert, but I think making a # for each child makes more sense for two reasons: 

- including all six kids in one single hashtag would make it super long (which isn’t a good thing I think) 

- Anna sometimes posts photos of some, but not all, of her children. The way she uses hashtags now allows her to only reference the kids that the posts are about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I read Anna’s post to mean, “We all find it amusing that Mason likes to play at being an astronaut, when his future has already been planned out for him as a future used car salesman and father to a quiver before he’s 25. We feed on the crushed dreams of children at the TTH.” 

You’re right, of course, but I don’t think Anna can even conceive of actually becoming an astronaut. It’s like saying “We’re watching the Olympics and the kids are doing somersaults.” (Not that they would watch the Olympics.) The average person wouldn’t necessarily feel bad that their kids won’t achieve at that level.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

But why would you hashtag your little kid? It’s not like they’ll open their Instagram and see that their mom tagged them…

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I remember reading The Long Winter as a child and just being amazed that there could ever be that much snow all at once. As a kid in Georgia, there was some snow but not that kind of snow, not ever. I think about that passage where Pa? was trying to go out for food or help or something and it was snowing so much he couldn't see in front of him. Didn't they have to have a line or something to walk to and fro with so the he didn't get lost? Or is my brain embellishing? I got the whole collection in a box set for Christmas several years ago and admittedly have never got around to reading them again. I'm way overdue. I just remember that one being my favorite because it was so entertaining and different to anything I'd ever known at that point.  

• Upvote 6

They are classics for sure but they don’t age particularly well on certain things. I remember starting to read them aloud to my kids at that age and discovering Ma’s phobic fear of the “Indians” - and the accompanying white settler point of view - to be a recurrent thing I needed to provide context for. 

I wonder how Anna handles that if at all. 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Jasmar said:

But why would you hashtag your little kid? It’s not like they’ll open their Instagram and see that their mom tagged them…

I used to do it, then I realised it was stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Jasmar said:

If you click on the hashtag then you can pull up all the posts about that kid. I follow people who use it as a way of indexing their posts. Of course you have to use a fairly unique hashtag 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Topaz said:

If you click on the hashtag then you can pull up all the posts about that kid. I follow people who use it as a way of indexing their posts. Of course you have to use a fairly unique hashtag 

This is the only logical way to use it, but it does not align with how Anna uses it so I think she has no clue. I think Jill used to do it this way but she stopped after a while.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

This is the only logical way to use it, but it does not align with how Anna uses it so I think she has no clue. I think Jill used to do it this way but she stopped after a while.

What? No more #besthubbyever? I don't use Instagram but cackle each time I see a member here reference it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bobology said:

What? No more #besthubbyever? I don't use Instagram but cackle each time I see a member here reference it.

Did Anna use that one, too?!  I mean it's ridiculous when Jill uses it, but Anna?  Even she couldn't do that with a straight face, right?

But ITA - funny either way.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Did Anna use that one, too?!  I mean it's ridiculous when Jill uses it, but Anna?  Even she couldn't do that with a straight face, right?

But ITA - funny either way.

I meant Jill but didn't make myself clear. It would be even funnier/sadder if Anna has been using it. And what would be even funnier is if in the long run Derick does turn into the #besthubbyever of all the Duggars and in-laws.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I meant Jill but didn't make myself clear. It would be even funnier/sadder if Anna has been using it. And what would be even funnier is if in the long run Derick does turn into the #besthubbyever of all the Duggars and in-laws.

Anna doesn’t use a hashtag to say she’s the happiest wife ever, but she describes herself as being “happily married” on her Instagram account. Let’s hope it’s true and she really feels this way, but I’m not buying it to be honest. 

11E35808-A8DB-4AED-A351-DA4B2A4CEF5A.jpeg

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, Bobology said:

No still #besthubbyever but no longer #IsraelDavidDillard and #SamSomethingDillard

• Upvote 3

On 2/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I often hashtag my kids names separately. I think it’s fun because I can go back to that hashtag and find groups of old photos of them. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, lizzybee said:

I remember reading The Long Winter as a child and just being amazed that there could ever be that much snow all at once. As a kid in Georgia, there was some snow but not that kind of snow, not ever. I think about that passage where Pa? was trying to go out for food or help or something and it was snowing so much he couldn't see in front of him. Didn't they have to have a line or something to walk to and fro with so the he didn't get lost? Or is my brain embellishing? I got the whole collection in a box set for Christmas several years ago and admittedly have never got around to reading them again. I'm way overdue. I just remember that one being my favorite because it was so entertaining and different to anything I'd ever known at that point.  

Yes! I still vividly remember the scene where Pa eats Laura’ s Christmas candy because he thinks he’s trapped in the snow and doesn’t know when he’ll be able to find his way home, but it turns out he was right next to the house in white-out conditions the whole time. Not sure why that resonated with me so much as a child, but it’s literally the only scene from that book I can recall in detail. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Johannah said:

Yes! I still vividly remember the scene where Pa eats Laura’ s Christmas candy because he thinks he’s trapped in the snow and doesn’t know when he’ll be able to find his way home, but it turns out he was right next to the house in white-out conditions the whole time. Not sure why that resonated with me so much as a child, but it’s literally the only scene from that book I can recall in detail. 

For me it's the twisting of the hay.  I get that Carrie was too weak to help, and possibly Mary due to health reasons, but why couldn't Ma take a turn at twisting the hay?  Sure she ground the wheat in the coffee mill for their hard, brown, bread and made button lamps...but they could have switched off.  

Just the thought of twisting hay makes me reach for lotion.  And the idea of the cows stuck to the ground as their warm breath froze in clumps of ice hurts my heart.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

On 2/11/2020 at 4:06 AM, neuroticcat said:

They are classics for sure but they don’t age particularly well on certain things. I remember starting to read them aloud to my kids at that age and discovering Ma’s phobic fear of the “Indians” - and the accompanying white settler point of view - to be a recurrent thing I needed to provide context for. 

I wonder how Anna handles that if at all. 

I recommend reading Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser, which I am enjoying immensely. It contextualises the world and life of Laura Ingalls Wilder, and pretty much the very first thing it starts with is the Dakota War of 1862, and the contextualising of the whole 'Indian' situation. After the uprising there was an explicit decision and protocol to exterminate Native Americans from the whole of Minnesota. It makes blistering, mindblowing reading - many facts I already knew theoretically, but came as proper gut punches the way they were laid out. The wickedness and cruelty from the government on down is staggering. It helped me understand Ma's fear of 'Indians' - because they had massacred hundreds of white settlers including their babies in very recent history, and she must have felt utterly terrified for her own family - but her inability to see that SHE was in the wrong simply by being there (Charles Ingalls even at one point had an illegal settlement on what he knew was meant to be protected Dakota land) speaks volumes for the settler mindset.

It is fascinating and bizarre that pioneers at the time like Charles and Laura both felt drawn to and wistful about the people they were displacing: Laura felt almost a kinship to the Dakota people, and wanted to know more about them, whilst utterly misunderstanding the power imbalance between them. Culturally there was this weird romanticism about the untamed west among those who were there with the express purpose of taming it.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

48 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

I recommend reading Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser, which I am enjoying immensely. It contextualises the world and life of Laura Ingalls Wilder, and pretty much the very first thing it starts with is the Dakota War of 1862, and the contextualising of the whole 'Indian' situation. After the uprising there was an explicit decision and protocol to exterminate Native Americans from the whole of Minnesota. It makes blistering, mindblowing reading - many facts I already knew theoretically, but came as proper gut punches the way they were laid out.

Minnesotan here... thanks for this rec. We need to keep our history alive, really dwell on it. The Dakota War of 1862 included the largest mass execution in U.S. history, and that happened here in Minnesota. And it's not like issues with American Indians are all in our past. We've had a big controversy in the Mpls.-St. Paul area in attempting to rename Lake Calhoun (for John Calhoun who supported slavery) to Lake Bde Maka Ska (a Dakota name)... an art exhibit at the Walker Art Center... and others.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

I recommend reading Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser, which I am enjoying immensely. It contextualises the world and life of Laura Ingalls Wilder, and pretty much the very first thing it starts with is the Dakota War of 1862, and the contextualising of the whole 'Indian' situation. After the uprising there was an explicit decision and protocol to exterminate Native Americans from the whole of Minnesota. It makes blistering, mindblowing reading - many facts I already knew theoretically, but came as proper gut punches the way they were laid out. The wickedness and cruelty from the government on down is staggering. It helped me understand Ma's fear of 'Indians' - because they had massacred hundreds of white settlers including their babies in very recent history, and she must have felt utterly terrified for her own family - but her inability to see that SHE was in the wrong simply by being there (Charles Ingalls even at one point had an illegal settlement on what he knew was meant to be protected Dakota land) speaks volumes for the settler mindset.

It is fascinating and bizarre that pioneers at the time like Charles and Laura both felt drawn to and wistful about the people they were displacing: Laura felt almost a kinship to the Dakota people, and wanted to know more about them, whilst utterly misunderstanding the power imbalance between them. Culturally there was this weird romanticism about the untamed west among those who were there with the express purpose of taming it.

Prairie Fires is excellent. I actually read it twice. The Ingalls story set against the backdrop of American history is a huge reality check. Although, if you can't give up the fantasy of Little House, you might not enjoy it. I am a history nerd. We read it in my bookclub at my recommendation and a few women were upset with me bc they couldn't deal with the reality. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

23 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Anna doesn’t use a hashtag to say she’s the happiest wife ever, but she describes herself as being “happily married” on her Instagram account. Let’s hope it’s true and she really feels this way, but I’m not buying it to be honest. 

11E35808-A8DB-4AED-A351-DA4B2A4CEF5A.jpeg

have we discussed what this duggar store is? what are they selling?

• I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Johannah said:

I think that’s in On The Banks of Plum Creek.

Another good recent book on the Little House books and Laura’s reality is The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure. I think it’s very funny. (Note that it’s rated PG, so don’t give it to a child unless you want to explain why something called a hand job is like churning butter.)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

have we discussed what this duggar store is? what are they selling?

The girls’ CD. Surprisingly, there’s nothing else, not even the Duggars’ books (there’s a link to buy them on the IBLP site, ugh). That makes me think that the Duggar Store site is run by Josh and Anna, and they got stuck with the unsold CDs. 

I looked for a link to it on Anna’s Twitter bio. It’s not there, but there is a link to ja20.com, a nonexistent site. I think it might be Josh and Anna’s old URL from when they wanted to promote themselves and thought they could have 20 children. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

Prairie Fires is excellent. I actually read it twice. The Ingalls story set against the backdrop of American history is a huge reality check. Although, if you can't give up the fantasy of Little House, you might not enjoy it. I am a history nerd. We read it in my bookclub at my recommendation and a few women were upset with me bc they couldn't deal with the reality. 

good point! I am sure it's really upset a lot of people - it's not just about Laura, is it, people still build their family heritage and identities around the way her books portrayed life. If you undermine her stories you undermine your own' family's story. Not even that they were terrible people, just that the reality of generations of hopeless poverty is crushing, not romantic, and that if we are looking for a simpler or more morally straightforward time, that wasn't it. 

I loved the Little House books but I really enjoyed seeing them in their context, and actually I guess their 'making of' - how such a fiction came about at that moment in time, and particularly Rose's input. Memoirs always reflect the times in which they're written, but these books particularly fed off and shaped a national consciousness. 

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic