IGNORED

When Your Dad and Brother Don’t Approve of Your Marriage

JermajestyDuggar

I have a feeling that James wouldn't buy into a Biblical justification, no matter how compelling, that didn't align with his existing beliefs.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Is Tom's whole point that because he didn't agree to the marriage, and he didn't give Sarah, his property, in marriage that the marriage is null and void

I would bet it’s not just that, but that he’s basing all of this off of Numbers 30, since that seems to be the passage of choice to justify a father owning his daughter. 

“When a young woman still living in her father’s household makes a vow to the Lord or obligates herself by a pledge and her father hears about her vow or pledge but says nothing to her, then all her vows and every pledge by which she obligated herself will stand. But if her father forbids her when he hears about it, none of her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand; the Lord will release her because her father has forbidden her.“

it’s not just that he wasn’t able to agree to the marriage or give his daughter away. It’s that he has forbidden the marriage, and in the eyes of God (at least according to him) that means the marriage is null. And if that’s the case, then she’s an unmarried woman sleeping with a man, and has lost her virginity and that’s a whole other can of worms for him. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 6

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Like I said before, Tom is like Trump. Our current president posts the most insane shit on social media for millions of people to see. And he sees nothing wrong with it. Narcissists are like that.

Ironically, or perhaps not ironically; I also thought Trump was part of a big satire/trolling to ensure a Democratic win.  For the longest time, I refused to believe that someone could be so unabashedly horrible.  Alas, my conspiracy theory was wrong and people can be just the worst.

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

I'm baffled. None of this makes any sense. This is NOT how the Jewish bible works. These people fail at being fake Jews. I'm too busy sputtering in confusion to refute them properly but I'll just say that I feel really bad for any females in this system. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

This is amazing and bonkers. And I love that they are airing all the dirty laundry on public Facebook pages.

I cant be the only one desperate to know what makes the groom unsuitable by their standards? Especially when his brother was a suitable groom!!

• Upvote 16

4 hours ago, byzant said:

I cant be the only one desperate to know what makes the groom unsuitable by their standards? Especially when his brother was a suitable groom!!

I know, right?  But it could be something that's a HUGE deal for them, but something silly and trivial in our eyes. 

• Upvote 5

If these people are following “Judaic” doctrine, why don’t the men cover their heads?  Just curious if there’s a special double standard loophole they are promoting 

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lol but James grew up totally mainstream and up and left his family a few years ago to meet a fake Jewish girl he met online. Then quickly converted and married her. So he can leave his family for a girl and that’s just fine. 

Here is Tom in his white tux with tails at Hannah’s “look at how Jewish we are!” Wedding:

9B6381DF-5D64-44F7-A35C-AAAB1C383D64.jpeg

Edited by Pleiades_06
Wanted to include photo of men at a “Jewish” wedding with no head coverings
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

If these people are following “Judaic” doctrine, why don’t the men cover their heads?  Just curious if there’s a special double standard loophole they are promoting 

I honestly have no clue why they seem to pick and choose. Their Jewish cosplaying makes me roll my eyes excessively. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly have no clue why they seem to pick and choose. Their Jewish cosplaying makes me roll my eyes excessively. 

It actually makes me a little unreasonably angry.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, byzant said:

This is amazing and bonkers. And I love that they are airing all the dirty laundry on public Facebook pages.

Oh they do go into it a bit. Here's Hannah's version, which Stephen's sisters disagree with.

80HwcT2.png?1

4V6KnvB.png?1

Y7r2oIS.png?1

kVliDd5.png?1

bGGSXw4.png?1

rNOsygi.png?1

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 19

WOW the wheels on the Washburn bus have come flying off and I'm here for it. 

I can't wait for the angry blog posts to roll out. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

I’ll be honest here, I believe nothing of what Hannah, James and the like say about Stephen. They are shown to be absolutely despicable people so their ability to judge another person’s character is severely lacking in my opinion. 

And it’s beyong hilarious that they accuse Stephen of control, disrespect, and manipulation. When it’s so obvious that is a perfect description of Tom Washburn.

You know how they say cheaters often accuse their spouse of cheating? I think that’s what’s going on here.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 6

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ll be honest here, I believe nothing of what Hannah, James and the like say about Stephen. They are shown to be absolutely despicable people so their ability to judge another person’s character is severely lacking in my opinion. 

Idk, sounds like the truth just from their deeply crazed viewpoints. Stephen went to have a talk with them about courting/engagement whatever, he disagrees with Tom on how much control he actually has (I think even a half laughing "she's 23!" would do it), they maybe what- kiss? Front hug? and her family thinks of it as him physically disrespecting her because obviously SHE has no agency, and when he sees the controlling, abusive bullshit she's living with he convinces her she should leave. To us, good partnership. To Tom, EVIL HEATHEN FORNICATOR 

• Upvote 25
  • Love 4

One comment references some "pain" with Hannah finding a husband as well.

cvm3CQk.png?1

I wonder if there was a man Hannah was interested in but her parents vetoed. If she listened to her parents and broke things off with someone she liked that could contribute to why she's so mad at her sister for choosing a different path.

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Idk, sounds like the truth just from their deeply crazed viewpoints. Stephen went to have a talk with them about courting/engagement whatever, he disagrees with Tom on how much control he actually has (I think even a half laughing "she's 23!" would do it), they maybe what- kiss? Front hug? and her family thinks of it as him physically disrespecting her because obviously SHE has no agency, and when he sees the controlling, abusive bullshit she's living with he convinces her she should leave. To us, good partnership. To Tom, EVIL HEATHEN FORNICATOR 

I agree there. That what Tom sees as “controlling and manipulative” is actually a man encouraging Sarah to make her own decisions about how the relationship should go. 

Basically one man’s disrespect is another man’s making your own decisions. When you see your kids as cattle, any sign of independence will be disrespectful. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

I am confused, did these people actually convert to become Jews? What in the world is all this nonsense?

Tom sounds positively unhinged when he has compared his daughters to slaves.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

One comment references some "pain" with Hannah finding a husband as well.

cvm3CQk.png?1

I wonder if there was a man Hannah was interested in but her parents vetoed. If she listened to her parents and broke things off with someone she liked that could contribute to why she's so mad at her sister for choosing a different path.

Hannah sounds bitter as hell. She jumped through all the hoops and followed the rules exactly. And now her sister gets to do things how she wants and it chaps Hannah’s ass. 

1 minute ago, unsafetydancer said:

I am confused, did these people actually convert to become Jews? What in the world is all this nonsense?

Tom sounds positively unhinged when he has compared his daughters to slaves.

No, they didn’t convert. They are most definitely Christian fundies. But they appropriate Jewish culture and religious beliefs into their Christian religion to give themselves feelings of superiority. Well I suspect that’s Tom Washburn’s and James Shrute’s reasoning. The kids were just raised in it. 

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 4

1 minute ago, unsafetydancer said:

No, they're Christians. It's weird, I know. They love going to Israel and trying to convert actual observant (and conservative) Jews. 

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, they didn’t convert. They are most definitely Christian fundies. But they appropriate Jewish culture and religious beliefs into their Christian religion to give themselves feelings of superiority. Well I suspect that’s Tom Washburn’s and James Shrute’s reasoning. The kids were just raised in it. 

That's incredibly weird. I see people like this and I always wonder if what goes on in their head is just 24hr a day circus music. There's no logic to this at all.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11

25 minutes ago, justwatching said:

I did some looking on fb and was shocked to see several of the women in jeans, and one even in sleeveless.

Hannah is the one that is staying strict with the clothing and head covering. Abigail is married to Silas Lagoy and wears regular clothing. And now Sarah seems to wear regular clothing as well. The two girls at home seem to be veering away from the strict modesty standard the family followed and I bet Tom isn’t too happy about that. 

I want to add that the other families that believe similarly to the Washburns are not all skirts and headcoverings. There are lots of pants wearing fundies in their circle. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Talk about blowing things out your ass.

What a fucking idiot. 

Right? I think one of many takeaways of all this is that James is a real piece of fucking work. Good God.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Right? I think one of many takeaways of all this is that James is a real piece of fucking work. Good God.

He and Hannah seem absolutely perfect for each other. She is the judgmental stick up her ass Angela to his Dwight Shrute.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He and Hannah seem absolutely perfect for each other. She is the judgmental stick up her ass Angela to his Dwight Shrute.

I had a hard time choosing between "I agree" and "laughing," because this is such a perfect comparison I can hardly stand it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1