IGNORED

When Your Dad and Brother Don’t Approve of Your Marriage

JermajestyDuggar

Sarah Washburn Lagoy got married in August and it was posted on FB. This was what her father Tom Washburn says under it publicly on Facebook. And her brother Tommy Washburn also puts in his two cents. I knew the Washburns were awful, but this is pretty low. Plus Sarah married the brother of her sister Abigail’s husband. No one seemed to have objections to Abigail marrying Silas Lagoy. But I see there are objections to Sarah marrying his brother. 

C4806243-EC34-4B5C-AA31-FDF6FC499E31.jpeg

DF4BFBB0-8DD6-4DC8-89AC-0E7EFFD19038.jpeg

Here is what Tom says: 

A235C4D3-9A45-4081-8A34-12474C28D5D5.jpeg

BTW, look how happy they are together. And Tom shits all over it because he thinks he owns his daughter like he owns a cow or a goat. 

05FF6B08-0142-4945-B338-D35E502F5C80.jpeg

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 23
  • WTF 28
  • Thank You 4

By the way, there are a ton of back and forth comments from Tom and Tommy Washburn basically arguing with everyone on FB. They seem to be the only ones being total assholes and everyone else is saying, “just be happy for them.” Most of the arguing is on Tom’s page and Stephen’s page. At least they seem to have the support of the Lagoy family. Abigail is likely stuck right in the middle of it all. 

And now the extended Washburn family is putting Tom on blast. He sounds like an absolute monster. No wonder Sarah eloped. 

806886DB-78FD-4EAE-AC8D-FD9CFA489E06.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 9
  • Thank You 8

And here is what James Manderino (the husband of Sarah’s holier than thou sister Hannah) has to say about it. The Mandarino’s are just as bad as Tom Washburn. Unfortunately they have a daughter already. I really hope they have all boys from now on. 

2ACC3866-10C1-4FBF-ABFB-EA5081DE0BEF.jpeg

• Angry 8
  • Disgust 41
  • WTF 33

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And here is what James Manderino (the husband of Sarah’s holier than thou sister Hannah) has to say about it. The Mandarino’s are just as bad as Tom Washburn. Unfortunately they have a daughter already. I really hope they have all boys from now on. 

2ACC3866-10C1-4FBF-ABFB-EA5081DE0BEF.jpeg

He lost me completely at "like a slave." No, sir, I will not read any further. Poor Abigail--she's seeing this from both sides due to her marrying into the same family as her sister. What a disaster--he's going to manage to alienate both daughters by the end of all this. 

• Upvote 35
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

He lost me completely at "like a slave." No, sir, I will not read any further. Poor Abigail--she's seeing this from both sides due to her marrying into the same family as her sister. What a disaster--he's going to manage to alienate both daughters by the end of all this. 

Plus Hannah agrees with everything James, her father, and brother say. So basically this couple is likely now cut off from most of her family. There are three Washburn children still at home. You can see that Stephen and Sarah are no longer friends with a lot of the Washburns on FB. Stephen said he blocked people who were being negative. So you can bet he blocked at least Tom and Tommy. And likely a few others.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1

I’m glad Stephan blocked the negative people. I imagine arguing with someone who believes he has the power to nullify vows would be like continuously banging your head against the wall.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

I want to add that these two got married in August. This isn’t some recent news. But Sarah and Stephen recently changed their status on FB to “married.” So Tom and Tommy have been waiting to throw their little hissy fit online for months. They are the epitome of the term “man child.”

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

This just sounds like a temper tantrum because they eloped, to be honest. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

WTF? He nullified their vows? Oh noes! I wonder why such a hissy if the brother was approved to marry a sister. I'm glad Sarah and Stephen did what they wanted.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

I think he has been stamping his feet and yammering on because he wasn’t allowed to play the part of being an all-wise benevolent grand patriarchal authority. 

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I see this as more about the exercise of control rather than an objection to Stephen, necessarily. Daddy Washburn has struck me as something of a narcissist. For example, going with white full tuxedo with tails at Hannah's wedding, outshining the simple, black suit of the groom. He didn't get a chance to strut his stuff and be the star of the show and he's mad about it.

• Upvote 27
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I see this as more about the exercise of control rather than an objection to Stephen, necessarily. Daddy Washburn has struck me as something of a narcissist. For example, going with white full tuxedo with tails at Hannah's wedding, outshining the simple, black suit of the groom. He didn't get a chance to strut his stuff and be the star of the show and he's mad about it.

I totally agree. He is a mega narcissist. And he really doesn’t give any reason as to why Stephen is so wrong for Sarah. Other than he didn’t jump through all the ridiculous hoops Tom demands. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

Wow, it's been a while since I checked on what was going on with the Washburns, and that's some serious drama. He thinks he's nullified their vows? Seriously? And literally comparing daughters to slaves is pretty shocking even for a fundie.

• Upvote 34
  • I Agree 8

Just now, Rachel333 said:

Wow, it's been a while since I checked on what was going on with the Washburns, and that's some serious drama. He thinks he's nullified their vows? Seriously? And literally comparing daughters to slaves is pretty shocking even for a fundie.

2 minutes ago, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

You’ve lost me anytime you refer to another human being as “property.” Gross.

Right?! I mean, I'll admit I'm somewhat desensitized to this implicit suggestion of this after years on FJ and a volunteer job that deals, in part, with women in the 19th century. But Lord ham mercury, he just comes right out and says it explicitly, which makes my hair stand up on end. I mean, how can you type that and not have a visceral reaction to it?

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 6

I hope Sarah is doing well. Just about anything has to be better than living with her father.

I see the groom's father isn't a fan of the facebook drama.

CV7xTil.png?1

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 36
  • Love 2

Tom is just like Trump. He’s rarely challenged and has lived his life in smug rightness. He posted a hissy fit on social media (just like trump) and was genuinely surprised he received so much push back. He’s not used to that. And I bet his fragile little ego was hurt so bad. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

NOTICE: I have started purging my friends list. If you like to use FB to deal with your family/friend issues than kindly unfriend me. People like getting thumbs up and getting people on their side but Social Media is not to discuss your family problems! It is discusting! Have enough drama in life without reading about it here. The whole world doesn't need to know and it doesn't solve any issues. Have a good day!

Wow, this response in light of Tom's is very telling. Methinks that the family itself is not the issue. Thank goodness for Daddy LaGoy (guys...I know this is serious, but I still can't with that last name), who appears to be a sane individual.

• Upvote 15

4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Wow, this response in light of Tom's is very telling. Methinks that the family itself is not the issue. Thank goodness for Daddy LaGoy (guys...I know this is serious, but I still can't with that last name), who appears to be a sane individual.

I was under the impression that the Lagoys and Washburns has been friends for years. Tom has very obviously drawn a line in the sand and I imagine the relationship between these two families is likely over. 

I want to add, Abigail is aware of FJ and knows we talk about her family. I feel sorry for her. When this was playing out, she was probably thinking, FJ is going to talk about this public spat. How can we not?! Her father made it all very public with his hissy fit. And never deleted the post. 

Fun fact: the Lagoys have like 10-12 kids and they all have S names. So have fun keeping track of them all ;)

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was under the impression that the Lagoys and Washburns has been friends for years. Tom has very obviously drawn a line in the sand and I imagine the relationship between these two families is likely over. 

I want to add, Abigail is aware of FJ and knows we talk about her family. I feel sorry for her. When this was playing out, she was probably thinking, FJ is going to talk about this public spat. How can we not?! Her father made it all very public with his hissy fit. And never deleted the post. 

I feel sorry for her, too. What a shame that they can't get along now, especially with not one but two couples marrying between the familes. This isn't quite as dramatic as the S'Morton fall out, but what an absolute shame for both the sons and daughters and any subsequent grandchildren that come along. Tom Washburn ought to be ashamed of himself.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

It looks like Abigail kind of defended Sarah back in August. When Sarah announced the relationship someone commented

YNfe3G8.png?1

Tommy, her brother, thanked him for the comment, but Abigail wrote

vkWmDKr.png?1

A bunch more dramatic comments about Sarah's "sin" followed. Silas wrote:

q8nG78Y.png?1

Silas and Stephen's sister had a great comment:

2P9sGsZ.png?1

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 4