IGNORED

Dillards 81: Volunteering for God

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, viii said:

Her statement still reads as false to me though. Her and Derrick have very different opinions. 

I agree. At the very least she’s glossing over what really happened. This was not some calmly and carefully thought out decision to ‘take a step back’ to focus on their family. Derick’s anger and bitterness makes that very clear. Jill can be socially clueless, but she’s far more diplomatic than her husband.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7

I find it funny too that she would be eager to tell Derick that Izzy saw something talking about the Duggars will watching "tv" on the laptop. With how he talks on Twitter I would think smoke comes out of his ears at the mention of the show.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Jill posted a blog about meeting Derick in Nepal and gives some fun facts. 

Interestingly, she outs TLC for making up time lines and says JB fell asleep during a hang out session at their hotel. 

The Dillards are getting interesting. (To me at least) 

Screenshots to save you all clicking through. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20191123_013922.thumb.jpg.b5a541b7d85f385b089e62289513402e.jpgScreenshot_20191123_013903.thumb.jpg.93918f8b488db6dacb917c9bb235e302.jpg

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 10

Idle speculation bus: is it possible or likely that the  Dillard’s had to sign some sort of a set term non-compete agreement to get out of counting on, that will expire soon? 

• Upvote 3

On 11/21/2019 at 2:14 PM, theotherelise said:

@singsingsing - I read Jill's comment as: "a couple years ago, just before the birth of Samuel," not "a couple of years before the birth of Samuel."

That at least potentially follows the timeline of when they last filmed as cast members. TLC announced Derick would no longer be featured in November 2017. Sam was born July 2017. Joy's wedding (filmed May 2017) was the last episode I think they were in as cast members...

Here is the episode list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Counting_On_episodes#Season_6_(2017)

They are listed in two episode descriptions in season 6 which started airing in September 2017. Most of the season appears to have been filmed up to Joy's wedding (May 2017). Then the last episode is a tacked on wedding special for JoKen. That wedding special is the only episode that would have been filmed after Sam's birth and before the November announcement from TLC. I don't know if they were full cast members for that episode or were just there. Season 7 of course goes back in time before the wedding special at the end of the previous season, starting filming in summer 2017. The Dillards are not featured in season 7 and it aired after the TLC decision, beginning February 2018.

I had previously thought it was clear that the Jazz comments were the definitive end of the cast member relationship, but looking at the TLC statement, it sounds possible that the Dillards did back out voluntarily prior to the Jazz comments:

https://twitter.com/TLC/status/929484003811479553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Derick has said he was upset about TLC not helping with medical costs associated with Sam's birth in July 2017. Jill's reply says they left before Sam's birth. It's definitely still a bit foggy, but mostly because of all the Derick comments. Jill's reply is more of a PR-style answer to brush aside questions. Meanwhile Derick is sh*tposting on twitter!

Derelict was disputing TLC not paying for Israel's birth, not Sam's. They were still filming 19 Kids then.

• I Agree 2

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

Derelict was disputing TLC not paying for Israel's birth, not Sam's. They were still filming 19 Kids then.

I don’t think so. When IZ was born, Derick worked for WM in the corporate office. He most likely had family HCI at that time. Plus, the whole debacle with Jazz and the Dillards happened the month after Sam’s birth. The lack of HCI and timing of the Dill’s exit points to this being about Sam’s birth. Sam was also sick and in the Nicu for 2 weeks, per the Dill’s, so that birth would have resulted in a much larger bill.

• Upvote 10

I always assumed Derick was pissed Samuel's birth, since D was working at WM when Israel was born so he would have had HCI. Plus Sam's birth was the complicated one with him in the NICU and Jill hospitalized for an extended period, that bill could have easily hit close too $100k, where as Izzy birth, with the WM insurance, probably wouldn't' have cost them more than $2.k. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Before we go back and forth with "I remember this" and "I remember it the other way," why not do some fact checking?

Derick was definitely talking about Sam's birth, not Izzy's. Here is an article that came out when Derick first tweeted about it, and there's tons more on Google.

Edited by JillyO
I can never remember how to spell Derick's name.
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

42 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Before we go back and forth with "I remember this" and "I remember it the other way," why not do some fact checking?

Derick was definitely talking about Sam's birth, not Izzy's. Here is an article that came out when Derick first tweeted about it, and there's tons more on Google.

This was discussed at the time. He was talking about Israel’s birth. TLC never ‘made a pretty penny’ on Sam’s birth, of course, because even if it was filmed, it never aired.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

This was discussed at the time. He was talking about Israel’s birth. TLC never ‘made a pretty penny’ on Sam’s birth, of course, because even if it was filmed, it never aired.

He didn't NEED money for Israels birth, he had health insurance, a job at WM and they were still on CO.  

He was NOT working when Samuel was born, and TLC fired the Dillard's shortly AFTER Sam was born, as that is when all the crap with Jazz went down.  Sam's birth was filmed but it never aired because TLC is 6 to 8 months behind real time, so anything with the Dillard's was scrapped before it aired that season.

I and a lot of others were assuming Derick was demanding more money, mostly to cover Samuel and Jill's astronomical medical bills.  As I said, those twos bill's had to be close to, if not over $100k, with Sam being in the NICU for 2 weeks and Jill being hospitalized for around 10 days? 

I figure Derick felt that TLC would make bank on Sam's birth the way they did Izzy's and wanted a chunk of that to pay off his debt. 

• Upvote 5

How would we know whether or not Derick and Jill had medical expenses for Israel’s birth, though, really? Do we know exactly what medical interventions occurred, exactly what kind of health insurance Derick (or Jill) had, exactly when Derick ended his employment with Walmart, or how much they actually made from being on the show ($0 if Derick is to be believed)? If we’re trying to stick with the facts, let’s make sure we have actual facts.

Also, does it even matter which birth he was talking about? The point is that Derick claims they had medical expenses, that they thought they were ‘volunteering’ on the show, and that TLC refused to help them pay said medical expenses after essentially exploiting them for years. Derick is a bigoted, ignorant jackass, but he has every right to be pissed about what went down, whichever birth or other life event was involved. I literally cannot stand him, but paradoxically I also think he and Jill probably don’t get enough credit for having the stones to give TLC and Jim Bob the finger.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

I think that article is wrong. They quote Derick as saying:

"We even requested that they help with some of the medical expenses from the birth that they made a pretty penny on, but they refused to help cover any of those costs," he tweeted.

"It was close to a year before we made the last medical payment."

Sam was only 8 months old when the article was written, so Derick couldn't have been talking about Sam.

And (in the US) births can be really expensive even if you have a job with insurance. Insurance doesn't mean you don't pay anything!

Derick may be an awful person, but I do think it's super shitty of TLC to be making money off of Israel's birth while Derick and Jill were still paying off the medical bills.

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 13

There are a lot of assumptions being made here.

How do we even know that TLC was contractually obligated to pay their medical bills?  If medical bills aren’t part of their negotiated compensation package (doubt it), why is TLC the bad guy here? What if Derick is just pissed he didn’t get what he wanted, but wasn’t actually owed?

I do think TLC is highly unethical in how they handle these families, but it’s wrong to assume they aren’t fulfilling their legal obligations.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

How do we even know that TLC was contractually obligated to pay their medical bills?  If medical bills aren’t part of their negotiated compensation package (doubt it), why is TLC the bad guy here? What if Derick is just pissed he didn’t get what he wanted, but wasn’t actually owed?

I do think TLC is highly unethical in how they handle these families, but it’s wrong to assume they aren’t fulfilling their legal obligations.  

No one’s saying TLC was obligated to pay them. Derick was mad that he didn’t get money to help pay for the birth after he found out that Jim Bob was the one getting paid. We’re sympathetic (though it wasn’t very bright of the Dillards), but we don’t think TLC actually violated any contract.

• Upvote 12

30 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

ATTENTION- IM RIDING THE SPECULATION BUS

I think JB is the one who probably promoted the Dillards to enquire with the hospital, doctors, TLC, Jesus, Mary and Joseph, to see if any or all would pay the medical bills. I’m sure that JB has mentored all those families in grifting 101, 201 and 301.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

I think JB is the one who probably promoted the Dillards to enquire with the hospital, doctors, TLC, Jesus, Mary and Joseph, to see if any or all would pay the medical bills. I’m sure that JB has mentored all those families in grifting 101, 201 and 301.

I agree. And better someone else pays than the bank of Boob [emoji19]
  • Upvote 6

I’d imagine Derick is mad at himself for being so naive. He trusted Boob. He must feel like an idiot for believing they were all volunteering. Hoping on the speculation bus and whipping out my BA in psychology.... :isb:

An arrogant young man such as Derick, raised in a patriarchal household in a patriarchal society, would have immense difficulty admitting to being wrong/fooled. He’d be angry. Angry at those who fooled him, and angry at himself. But he can’t admit to being angry at himself, so that anger directs outward even more.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

No one’s saying TLC was obligated to pay them. Derick was mad that he didn’t get money to help pay for the birth after he found out that Jim Bob was the one getting paid. We’re sympathetic (though it wasn’t very bright of the Dillards), but we don’t think TLC actually violated any contract.

Exactly, I don't think I've seen a single comment suggesting TLC was violating any legal obligations. They just have exploitative business practices and I'd be irritated at that too. I've seen a lot of comments that were basically, "Well Derick was just dumb for getting into that situation," and that's true but it doesn't make TLC any less shitty.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

23 hours ago, SassyPants said:

*boards Speculation Bus flashing Day Tripper pass*

So my theory is, once Jill's labour with Israel turned out to be a tough one, it's not impossible that somebody from TLC could have stuck their oar in and persuaded her to go to hospital. Natural birth was Jill's hill to die on, so I bet other people did have to lean on her before she would give up labouring at home. Jill is whisked to hosp, Izzy arrives, then the Dills start looking into how they pay that medical bill. JB is like oh gee well that's too bad, TLC should handle that. And TLC don't. So the Dills' faith in TLC is shaken somewhat, and paying off the bill puts a huge pressure on them, but they still believe that their TV ministry is ultimately a good thing.

Over the period between Israel and Sam's births, Derrick either turns up more info on the way JB made contracts with TLC, or starts to properly reflect on it. That's probably exacerbated by being isolated and lonely in SCA, and also by the shock of the Joshly revelations. Seeing Jill thrust into the spotlight to defend her family etc probably did provoke a lot of thought about what their moral position should be as a couple, and where their loyalties should lie. Derrick becomes increasingly leery of JB, and by the time Jill undergoes another really hard and dangerous birth with Samuel, he's realised that nobody is going to help them financially. That JB will let them live in one of his portfolio properties while it's convenient, but he won't do an actual selfless or loyal thing for them. That family solidarity goes in one direction - pulling around the TTH and the brand - it doesn't protect the kidults once they've cleaved.

I would be surprised if the long, weird radio silence after Sam's birth had to do with a huge drama over funds. Obviously it was a terrifying time and Sam was really unwell, but I think if they had felt on the whole supported and held, they'd have used the experience as some kind of witnessing. Like Josie's hospital time was. Instead they just went underground. By the end of that experience, DD is done with both JB and TLC, since they've all revealed themselves to be utterly money-motivated, and with little regard for the Dillards besides as cash cows. 

He's a douche in many ways, but I think he is correct in those assessments. 

• Upvote 18

What were the medical issues Sam and Jill had? I don’t follow the Duggars a lot, but have been wondering about this. I tried googling but didn’t find anything that wasn’t just speculation.

3 minutes ago, Jasmar said:

What were the medical issues Sam and Jill had? I don’t follow the Duggars a lot, but have been wondering about this. I tried googling but didn’t find anything that wasn’t just speculation.

They never made the details surrounding Sam’s birth public so speculation is all we have. The facts we do know are that he was born via c-section and he had a nice stay. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jasmar said:

I don't think anyone really knows. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic