IGNORED

Dillards 81: Volunteering for God

samurai_sarah

It seems like JB would have to still throw some dough Jill's way for royalties for past appearances. ? Past CO seasons are available on different platforms and rerun on TLC. Maybe that's how they bought a house? Derrick just isn't getting any raises, or possibly opted for a lump sum when they flounced.   Jeremy seems shrewder than Derrick...the Vuolos seem to be in a higher income bracket. I believe that Jinger has her own deal, and maybe that's why they left Arkansas. Maybe the Arkansas clan has some sort of JB executive trust. ? Or maybe Derdick just likes stirring up shit. 

It's a puzzlement.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Slight thread drift, but Derick’s mother is insufferable! 

432F872F-CFCD-400A-AE8F-AF711F5FC8BD.jpeg

Edited by FluffySnowball
I posted before having added the screenshot ?
  • Angry 5
  • Disgust 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 10

32 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

It seems like JB would have to still throw some dough Jill's way for royalties for past appearances. ? Past CO seasons are available on different platforms and rerun on TLC. Maybe that's how they bought a house? Derrick just isn't getting any raises, or possibly opted for a lump sum when they flounced.   Jeremy seems shrewder than Derrick...the Vuolos seem to be in a higher income bracket. I believe that Jinger has her own deal, and maybe that's why they left Arkansas. Maybe the Arkansas clan has some sort of JB executive trust. ? Or maybe Derdick just likes stirring up shit. 

It's a puzzlement.

I think that the V’s might live above their means. They both seem like the type that are into fancy things, trendy restaurants and experiences. I’d venture to say that Dillard might be more fiscally intuitive. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Just now, SassyPants said:

I think that the V’s might live above their means. 

I agree. Jeremy is bougie as hell, and an influencer wannabe but I still think that they have their own deal.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

I agree. Jeremy is bougie as hell, and an influencer wannabe but I still think that they have their own deal.

I think that they have the lofty goal of Jeremy being the next Joel Osteen. Currently, I doubt that they have any active money stream beyond TLC. Where would they find the time beyond all the pretentiousness, preening and fancy coffee drinking?*

* I think I spy a future thread title.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I think Derick assumed that the Duggars’ money came from their businesses and real estate, and also side hustles like speakers’ fees and People Magazine fees. The family likes to refer to the show as a “ministry,” and while they seem to have meant that it’s a good opportunity to promote their lifestyle and values, Derick took it too literally and thought they didn’t get paid. I’m sure they have various family, friends, and hangers-on who do appear sometimes without getting paid. When Derick finally realized that Jim Bob was getting the paycheck, even when it was Derick’s family being filmed - plus the molestation issue and the frustration of not getting hospital costs paid after JB had previously been generous - he decided to leave and cleave. I do wonder if he received some significant money in exchange for signing an NDA, and now he’s frustrated that he can’t say anything beyond some passive-aggressive subtweets.

@HereticHick, please tell me you sent the “lawyer up” screenshot to your friend!

• Upvote 21
  • Love 2

So Dwreck is obviously fed up and on the verge of breaking. So let’s jump on the speculation bus. 

Derrick has an accounting degree. I remember just after I came to FJ someone posted a link that was an interview Derrick did for the OU paper. He said he wanted to following in his father’s footsteps and become a forensics accountant. Now Derrick is in the law school. What if Derrick has seen JBs books? What if he has seen something and now with some legal knowledge knows that his father in law is not above board. Could Derrick be the one to bring the whole thing down? 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 3

InTouch has written about Derrick's latest tweets:

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/derick-dillard-slams-tlc-claims-jim-bob-set-up-counting-on-contract/

Article text below in spoiler window:

Spoiler

He’s not holding back. Derick Dillard opened up about his dissatisfaction with TLC while taking to social media, addressing how he thinks the network is only “worried” about making money. The former Counting On star vented his frustrations in a series of now-deleted tweets, where he claimed that Jim Bob negotiated the family’s contract.

The conversation started when a fan reached out to the father of two, 30, talking about the revenue the show has made. “Derick, this is very troubling,” they wrote in a tweet. “17, 18 and 19 Kids and Counting and Counting On made at least [sic] billion dollars since in production last 10 years — guarantee they made more. Why don’t you ‘kids’ adults when on [sic] show have their own contracts? Do you know how much money these shows make?”

In his reply, Derick alleged the network “has issues” and “begged” them not to quit filming, but TLC supposedly didn’t explain why they were so keen on covering the brood’s daily lives. “If money is all they care about, then it’s going to catch up with them — you must care about ppl [sic]. All I’ve got to say is, they better lawyer-up b/c a storm is inevitable,” he continued.

Jill Duggar’s husband also responded to a question about how Jim Bob, 54, allocates the funds they have made over the years. Derick said they would have to ask the family patriarch that, before revealing if Jim Bob negotiated the contracts for Derick as well or just Jill, 28. “For everyone, but without telling anyone,” the law student claimed.

The person who started the dialogue with Derick then stated how Jim Bob “should not” be negotiating for the adult children, referencing how TLC “knows” that. Derick answered, “Yeah but all TLC is worried about is making that money, so if they can blame corruption on somebody else, but still get away with the benefits, then they’ll happily do so.”

Derick was seemingly fired from Counting On in November 2017 for making transphobic remarks about I Am Jazz star Jazz Jennings. He later slammed the claims and said, “none of anything I said was directed at Jazz.”

Since leaving the show, he’s gone back to school and in August 2019, it was revealed that Derick landed a law clerk job with the Arkansas Attorney General’s office.

• Thank You 11
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

So Dwreck is obviously fed up and on the verge of breaking. So let’s jump on the speculation bus. 

Derrick has an accounting degree. I remember just after I came to FJ someone posted a link that was an interview Derrick did for the OU paper. He said he wanted to following in his father’s footsteps and become a forensics accountant. Now Derrick is in the law school. What if Derrick has seen JBs books? What if he has seen something and now with some legal knowledge knows that his father in law is not above board. Could Derrick be the one to bring the whole thing down? 

This is entirely plausible. We know how cheap JB is and it is not exactly a leap to assume Derrick's accounting degree will have been a major point in his favour when he first approached JB. JB sold Jill to gain an in-house accountant. One more thing he could avoid having to pay for.

The Dillards are pretty insufferable, but they could play some small part in bringing down the cult. Here's hoping.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Rick Dillard was a beat cop, not a forensic accountant.  There’s also no way Boob would have let a son in law look at his books, being the control freak he is. Derick was also an inexperienced corporate accountant, not a CPA.

Besides, neither Dillard would have been caught dead talking to an OU entity. ?

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Rick Dillard was a beat cop, not a forensic accountant.  There’s also no way Boob would have let a son in law look at his books, being the control freak he is. Derick was also an inexperienced corporate accountant, not a CPA.

I generally agree with you, but I think Jim Bob was certain he’d be far more in control of his (adult) children and their spouses than he actually is. His hubris might have blinded him a bit IMO.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I generally agree with you, but I think Jim Bob was certain he’d be far more in control of his (adult) children and their spouses than he actually is. His hubris might have blinded him a bit IMO.  

Plus, if JB, and the Duggar household are anything like they are portrayed through their show and other media channels, I could see Dillard having the ability to see or hear things, documents etc. that might be incriminating to JB and his reputation. A tight ship or well oiled machine would not be ways, from what I have seen or read, that would describe the Duggars. They put kids in charge of roles that most households delegate to adults only. They are sloppy and disorganized. There is an air of entitlement and laziness that surrounds these folks. I think M and JB were on their games earlier on, but in recent years? I think they relegated way too much of the responsibility to their kids to the point where some of that control was lost.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think I could understand how Derick would take TLC reaching out to him and asking him to retract his tweets about Jazz and issue an apology could be taken by someone like Derick as "begging" them to stay on the show. Like, TLC might have said we want you to stay on the show, but you must please issue this apology our PR firm drafted. Derick could have warped that in his mind to be begging.

We have scrutinized Jill's rude awakening about their missionary trip to central america, but I think Derick had something similar. I think he was really bought in on being a missionary after Nepal and thought it would be easier. The Nepal trip was pretty structured and organized and he was single and just getting to know Jill. It seemed to be well-funded.

Then you get this timeline:

• ~Spring 2015 - Derick has botched palette expansion surgery
  • April 2015 - Jill has a very traumatic birth of Israel
  • May 2015 - Jill's childhood molestation is revealed to the world
  • June 2015 - Jill is paraded on TV to defend her brother and try and save their livelihood
  • July 2015 - Jill & Derick start living in El Salvador (intermittently); 19KAC is cancelled
  • ~Summer 2015 - Criticism starts immediately about their use of funds & amount of time spent in El Salvador; they fail to get certified by the SBC International Mission Board
  • Dec 2015 - Counting on premiers
  • July 2017 - Jill has another difficult birth with Samuel
  • August 2017 - Permanently move home to NWA; Derick starts Cross Church 1-year program
  • November 2017 - Derick and Jill booted from Counting On

So right as Jill and Derick were having Israel and going to El Salvador, her strong Christian family was revealed to him to be a big sham. They clearly thought getting financial support would be easy and seen positively. He had no idea how unprepared they were (LEARN SPANISH FIRST!). I don't think it was just Jill that suffered through that time. 

Derick, unfortunately, has decided to take all that crap (both self-inflicted and otherwise) and be bitter and angry and spiteful. He's not taking the high road for his family or for the sake of Jill's relationships with her family. He wants attention and vindication. He made plenty of decisions along the way, sometimes without all the facts. But he's acting like a teenager now. Even if he were trying to blow the whistle on something, he wouldn't do it through twitter replies. 

Dude, just focus on finishing school, taking care of your family, and growing as a person. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

Derdick has a bad case of buyer's remorse, nothing more and nothing less. He's pissed off that he can't return the "merchandise" now that he has realized the totality of what he has entered into. The guy is aimless, lazy, entitled and mean spirited. Sounding off on twitter is all  that he has in his arsenal. Any belief that he has secret knowledge of Duggar wrongdoing seems crazy. JB hasn't build this empire without shrewdness and meticulous attention to detail. Some second year law student from a third tier law school probably concerns him as much as what he is having for dinner.

• Upvote 19
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, theotherelise said:

I think I could understand how Derick would take TLC reaching out to him and asking him to retract his tweets about Jazz and issue an apology could be taken by someone like Derick as "begging" them to stay on the show. Like, TLC might have said we want you to stay on the show, but you must please issue this apology our PR firm drafted. Derick could have warped that in his mind to be begging.

We have scrutinized Jill's rude awakening about their missionary trip to central america, but I think Derick had something similar. I think he was really bought in on being a missionary after Nepal and thought it would be easier. The Nepal trip was pretty structured and organized and he was single and just getting to know Jill. It seemed to be well-funded.

Then you get this timeline:

• ~Spring 2015 - Derick has botched palette expansion surgery
  • April 2015 - Jill has a very traumatic birth of Israel
  • May 2015 - Jill's childhood molestation is revealed to the world
  • June 2015 - Jill is paraded on TV to defend her brother and try and save their livelihood
  • July 2015 - Jill & Derick start living in El Salvador (intermittently); 19KAC is cancelled
  • ~Summer 2015 - Criticism starts immediately about their use of funds & amount of time spent in El Salvador; they fail to get certified by the SBC International Mission Board
  • Dec 2015 - Counting on premiers
  • July 2017 - Jill has another difficult birth with Samuel
  • August 2017 - Permanently move home to NWA; Derick starts Cross Church 1-year program
  • November 2017 - Derick and Jill booted from Counting On

So right as Jill and Derick were having Israel and going to El Salvador, her strong Christian family was revealed to him to be a big sham. They clearly thought getting financial support would be easy and seen positively. He had no idea how unprepared they were (LEARN SPANISH FIRST!). I don't think it was just Jill that suffered through that time. 

Derick, unfortunately, has decided to take all that crap (both self-inflicted and otherwise) and be bitter and angry and spiteful. He's not taking the high road for his family or for the sake of Jill's relationships with her family. He wants attention and vindication. He made plenty of decisions along the way, sometimes without all the facts. But he's acting like a teenager now. Even if he were trying to blow the whistle on something, he wouldn't do it through twitter replies. 

Dude, just focus on finishing school, taking care of your family, and growing as a person. 

One very important decision made that is missing from your timeline, and if fits between Izzy’s birth, the palate surgery and the molestation revelation, and that is the fact that Dillard quit is Wal Mart Job! WHY did he quit that job?

• Upvote 11

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

One very important decision made that is missing from your timeline, and if fits between Izzy’s birth, the palate surgery and the molestation revelation, and that is the fact that Dillard quit is Wal Mart Job! WHY did he quit that job?

I think he honestly thought he could make a living on TLC money and donations. I’m sure it didn’t help that clingy Jill showed up to work every day.

Obviously, quitting Walmart was a horrible idea.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I think Derick felt "called" to ministry. He hadn't worked at walmart that long and he and Jill supposedly grew close over their shared love of the idea of missionary work. And plenty of people do financially support themselves abroad starting churches or whatever. 

It was a mistake to leave a job that would have provided for his growing family. Regardless of our beliefs about prostelyzing and international missions, there are far more thoughtful and stable ways to go about it if that is your goal. They could have taken a couple years to learn the language, get sponsorship by a church or organization, get training, save money from his work, get to know each other better, fundraise through more traditional Christian support methods (one-on-one meetings with potential supporters establishing giving commitments and demonstrating your preparation and detailing your plans), and then get sent out. They didn't because they were naive and proud and thought highly of themselves. And they failed and it doesn't seem like they took any lessons away from that based on Derick's bitterness.

But I think it's huge speculation to act like Derick regrets his relationship with Jill or vice versa. They certainly appeared to go through some difficult times, but we don't really know. They now appear to be embracing marital counselling and seem more comfortable around each other. But yeah, we can only really go off of what they tell us and not a freeze frame of a video clip where someone looked pissed or whatever. Maybe Derick loves it when Jill shows up for lunch with him. My husband and I love it when we can do lunch together on a weekday and we really like each other. 

For all we know, Jill could be angry about some of the things her parents did in the past too. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

But I think it's huge speculation to act like Derick regrets his relationship with Jill or vice versa. They certainly appeared to go through some difficult times, but we don't really know. They now appear to be embracing marital counselling and seem more comfortable around each other. But yeah, we can only really go off of what they tell us and not a freeze frame of a video clip where someone looked pissed or whatever. Maybe Derick loves it when Jill shows up for lunch with him. My husband and I love it when we can do lunch together on a weekday and we really like each other. 

I must have missed this, do you have a reference for the marital counselling?

I'm pleasantly surprised that a fundie would advertise that they're going to marital counselling without there being some large scandal or other problem. 

Tone Clarifier: I know tone gets lost in these posts. This is a post of curiosity not judgement and I hope my verbiage communicated that. 

• Upvote 2

Why is InTouch citing the tweets about Jazz as being the reason Derick was fired?  

I thought that there's never been confirmation, but the timeline suggested that his departure was already in progress by the time he tweeted about Jazz, and it was more likely that he left over a payment dispute?  Or have we gotten confirmation from any of the people involved since then?  

• Upvote 1

@KeepingChrysanthemum I don't have access to instagram right now and don't want to google "jill dillard sex marriage counselling" at work lol, so this is based on memory. She talked about counseling being helpful, specifically related to physical intimacy. I'm not sure if it was directly "this helped us" or just heavily implied that it had helped them. And it could have been in a story, not a post, I don't remember. I probably should have been more clear, because I don't think she's said anything about counseling related to communications, etc. But she has encouraged people to seek professional help to strengthen their relationships, beyond the silly bedroom games she's recently shilled and the militant submissive wife lessons of her upbringing/ATI.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Because they were planning to go be missionaries. (Speculation: They thought that their “work” would advertised on the show and the donations would pour in.)  Someone pointed out to them that if they were serious about international missions, it’s much easier to do when your family is small. Derick seems to have been very influenced by that, and since they had gotten pregnant with Israel immediately, he might have wanted to get going before #2 became a reason to stay home.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Derrick at the time wanted to join law enforcement like his dad as a forensic accountant. 

And I apologize that I screwed up what school Derrick went to for his undergrad. 

Neither changes the fact that Derrick does possess some accounting skills and now has some law education. It also doesn’t change the fact that JB is slimey and probably thought Derrick could help him find more tax breaks. JB probably thought he could control Derrick with the super nice house. Similarly to how he controls the other kids with really expensive things. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, theotherelise said:

I think Derick felt "called" to ministry. 

You bring up a good point and reminds me of something I heard during the time that I attended a campus church group on my university campus. (These days I would be much more likely to join the Secular Student Alliance.) It was actually the subject of an entire sermon.

A couple who were former missionaries did this talk. They said that you should listen to God when deciding what to do with your life. For them, they never wanted to be missionaries, but one day felt that is what god was calling them to do. "And when you are called to do something you don't ask questions, you obey." You weren't even supposed to worry about the practical logistics and consequences of a decision like that. You obeyed and God would see to the rest. Life might be hard, but at least you were obeying god.

This even extended to personal relationships. They recalled one of their former church members who wanted to propose to his girlfriend but felt that God was calling him to be single so they had to break up.

Other topics I remember was that you should tithe before you bought groceries and that if your husband loved you it would be easy to submit to him.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 9
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3
  • Love 1

On 11/15/2019 at 5:17 PM, theotherelise said:

@KeepingChrysanthemum I don't have access to instagram right now and don't want to google "jill dillard sex marriage counselling" at work lol, so this is based on memory. She talked about counseling being helpful, specifically related to physical intimacy. I'm not sure if it was directly "this helped us" or just heavily implied that it had helped them. And it could have been in a story, not a post, I don't remember. I probably should have been more clear, because I don't think she's said anything about counseling related to communications, etc. But she has encouraged people to seek professional help to strengthen their relationships, beyond the silly bedroom games she's recently shilled and the militant submissive wife lessons of her upbringing/ATI.

Always a skeptic- but I wonder if From a legal perspective they started  counseling to “show harm” done by Jill’s past.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic