IGNORED

Are there any fundies actually in the military?

anjulibai

3 hours ago, FilleMondaine said:

But if you notice how many chaplains are weighted towards evangelical....well....you get a sense that there is a whole lot of pressure coming from the chaplaincy to deepen fungelical's stronghold in the military. And don't even get me started on how these chaplains deny LGBT military all sorts of rights and privileges.

That really jumped out at me. The line between fundie and evangelical is getting a lot thinner since evangelicals have tended to go more extreme and fundies have started dressing and acting more mainstream. 

ETA: A lot of the evangelicals I know push joining and supporting the military.

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Don't forget that Tim and Franicia White (parents of the unfortunately named HeIsTheWay) met at the US Naval Academy.

Then Franicia dropped out/flunked out & they married a few years later. Obviously she's become much more fundy over time, because now she's skirts only and I can't imagine that they would permit their daughters to go into the military. I assume that they might allow their sons to serve, although I don't know if they would allow them to get the higher education necessary to become an officer like Tim.

[and it would be very difficult, I think, for a homeschool kid to get a military academy appointment]

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

HeIsTheWay

That will always be the worst fundie name to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Don't forget that Tim and Franicia White (parents of the unfortunately named HeIsTheWay) met at the US Naval Academy.

Then Franicia dropped out/flunked out & they married a few years later. Obviously she's become much more fundy over time, because now she's skirts only and I can't imagine that they would permit their daughters to go into the military. I assume that they might allow their sons to serve, although I don't know if they would allow them to get the higher education necessary to become an officer like Tim.

[and it would be very difficult, I think, for a homeschool kid to get a military academy appointment]

Franicia’s posts about how she dropped out (she says she opted out after two years, which is before you make the two-for-five commitment) are all scrubbed from the blog. Heistheway is now in charge of their blog content and boy does that SOTDRT show.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HereComesTreble said:

One left the military when Obama was elected. He seriously left his career halfway to retirement because “he didn’t like the direction the country was heading.”

I'm  remembering birther military doctor Terry Lakin  who refused to deploy with his unit because (basically) Obama was not eligible to be president, so orders to deploy were not legitimate; he hoped that his case would force the release Obama's REAL birth certificate.  

He was so far in the weeds that he didn't realize that nobody (including and especially the judge at his court martial) would buy into his bat-shit birther crazy.  He tried to back pedal, but the judge wouldn't have it.  Ironically, his parents and other family members were Obama supporters. 

He tanked his stellar 18-year military career two years from retirement eligibility, was court-martialed, served 6 months in military prison, was dismissed from the Army  (the officer equivalent of a dishonorable discharge),  kissed a huge military pension* and lifetime benefits goodbye.  He was subsequently denied a medical license to practice in Kansas because of a dereliction of duty.   Fast forward from 2010 and Lakin's supporters were petitioning Trump for a pardon for Lakin, but no action to date. 

Dec. 2010: 'Birther' Dismissed from Army for Refusing Deployment, Sentenced to Six Months in Prison

*A pension at that time for a Lt. Col. would probably have been $4,000+/month. 

• Upvote 11

11 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Well, there's patriotism and then there's cosplaytriotism.

Doug Phillips & Bill Potter in July 2011 -- all dressed up and no where to go:

471846871_Dynamicduo.thumb.jpg.2403fc6e0709c36afebc33739280e060.jpg

This picture makes me SO ANGRY. The very illustration of stolen valor.

• I Agree 6

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Then Franicia dropped out/flunked out & they married a few years later. Obviously she's become much more fundy over time, because now she's skirts only and I can't imagine that they would permit their daughters to go into the military.

Franicia is the one who was fat-shaming her oldest daughter -- Heistheway -- on her blog.

ETA: Link to prior FJ discussion about the loathsome Franicia.

1 hour ago, VVV said:

This picture makes me SO ANGRY. The very illustration of stolen valor.

Totally agree. These fuckwads have no shame whatsoever.

Then there's the whole Operation Meatball scam, run by Beall & her oldest daughter, Liberty. They released a "how to talk to WW II veterans" guide and @Maxwell took one for the team and downloaded a free copy yesterday. 

Apart from the fact that we apparently don't need guidance on how to talk to vets of more recent wars, it looks like only Christian vets need be considered in any case.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 3

T-Rex Arms ammo-sexual mini Geoff has a whole spiel about guns guns guns because it's important to protect people.   Also, the Alert a**hats from Arkansas who showed up post hurricane sporting side arms, fake badges and massive  arrogance -- both perfect examples of fundy wanna-be military/LEO gone wrong and only emphasize the need for an actual "well regulated militia."   

3 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

it looks like only Christian vets need be considered in any case.

and perhaps white Christian vets.  Until his death last December at 112, African American Richard Overton was the oldest American and the oldest WWII survivor.  He lived just up the interstate, maybe a 90 minute driver from the Meatballers.  They could have just driven up to his little frame house and visited him on his porch, where he smoked cigars, ate ice cream and drank Dr. Pepper 'til almost the end. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm  remembering birther military doctor Terry Lakin  who refused to deploy with his unit because (basically) Obama was not eligible to be president, so orders to deploy were not legitimate; he hoped that his case would force the release Obama's REAL birth certificate.  

He was so far in the weeds that he didn't realize that nobody (including and especially the judge at his court martial) would buy into his bat-shit birther crazy.  He tried to back pedal, but the judge wouldn't have it.  Ironically, his parents and other family members were Obama supporters. 

He tanked his stellar 18-year military career two years from retirement eligibility, was court-martialed, served 6 months in military prison, was dismissed from the Army  (the officer equivalent of a dishonorable discharge),  kissed a huge military pension* and lifetime benefits goodbye.  He was subsequently denied a medical license to practice in Kansas because of a dereliction of duty.   Fast forward from 2010 and Lakin's supporters were petitioning Trump for a pardon for Lakin, but no action to date. 

Dec. 2010: 'Birther' Dismissed from Army for Refusing Deployment, Sentenced to Six Months in Prison

*A pension at that time for a Lt. Col. would probably have been $4,000+/month. 

Going to question the pension amount.  ZeebaHubby is a retired Lt Col with 22 1/2 years' service and at the time he retired (2008), his pension was around $2500/mo.  Still a substantial amount, but a lot less than 4K.

We knew a lot of Christians over the years we were in, but only one or two families that I would consider fundie.  The most disturbing thing I encountered was when the Family Support Center was pushing Dobson's Parenting the Strong Willed Child as a tool for families who were having issues with their kids.  It was long before I realized what a tool Dobson is, but even then, I could see it was definitely not something I wanted to be involved with.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Not really. I knew a few. 

I cannot say too much before giving myself away, so while I do want to share that so many Evangelicals we know in the Air Force and Army are really horrible (the aforementioned toddler-bullying parents, the chaplain who suddenly "went to the restroom" while we were seeking assistance getting a Jewish Prayer), there was a really prominent family who stuck their neck out for LGBT military--taking the "Be like Jesus" stuff to heart.

But the chaplaincy in the military can actually lose their jobs for being kind to LGBT military. This is because chaplains have to be endorsed by a church and also be commissioned in the military. So if the chaplain is endorsed by an anti-LGBT denomination (southern baptist, etc), they will literally be defrocked. Some chaplains are obviously decent people who wrestle with this, but others really like having cover for discrimination.

Anyhow, with so many "Evangelical" chaplains, it can be really hard for an LGBT family to get support. Or, for a decent family to trust their chaplain. (Who would trust a chaplain who enjoyed being a bigot?)

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 6

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:19 AM, HereticHick said:

Nope, I went to one of the military academies with a few homeschoolers.  One even knows a family we discuss here.  

• Upvote 2

On 11/13/2019 at 5:56 AM, hoipolloi said:

Franicia is the one who was fat-shaming her oldest daughter -- Heistheway -- on her blog.

Heistheway is a girl?!?! That.. wow, I have no idea why I thought it would be given to a boy but obviously I did. It is a truly awful name though, and given how much I hate Spurgeon as a name it is truly saying something that I think this is worse.

• I Agree 3

• 6 months later...

I follow bloggers who use the bite model to look at cult-like behaviours.  I would really like to see the hyper-patriotism/ group think aspects  of the military applied to the bite model. I don't think the military itself is a cult. However, anytime you have a system where group think is strongly encouraged, there can be cult-like tendencies.