IGNORED

Are there any fundies actually in the military?

anjulibai

Fundies do a lot of lip service to the military, veterans and patriotism, and they seem pretty happy to support going military intervention and spending. But there's definitely a dearth of them in the military. 

So I was wondering, are there any fundies in the military? And I mean, ones that were fundie before they served? The only one I can think of is that guy that found his wife online and went to Harvard Law School - but he seems to be ticking boxes for a political run. 

Can anyone else think of any? 

• Upvote 7

I think people like the Duggar’s and bates families raise their kids to think they are supposed to be in charge in whatever kinds of work they do, but their kids aren’t educated enough to be considered for officer training, and all the alert training in the world won’t qualify them to start anywhere but at the bottom in the military.  It’s too much for their fragile egos to reconcile.  Additionally, they could never deal with being outranked by, and subordinate to, women.

• Upvote 12

The dad in the Bittner family was (is?) career military, wasn't he?

That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Themanda Duggar said:

I think people like the Duggar’s and bates families raise their kids to think they are supposed to be in charge in whatever kinds of work they do, but their kids aren’t educated enough to be considered for officer training, and all the alert training in the world won’t qualify them to start anywhere but at the bottom in the military.  It’s too much for their fragile egos to reconcile.  Additionally, they could never deal with being outranked by, and subordinate to, women.

Not to mention gay people and non-believers (according to their definition) in the military

• Upvote 10

The whole Kendall family is big on serving. IIRC Tommy is/was in the Air Force, Mark (Cherie's husband) is in the Army, and Hunter is in the Coast Guard. Joel Decker also was in the Army.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Back in the VF days, there were a few B-list leg-humpers who were former military. After all, there are still quite a few fundies in the US military.

Those who ran things in the VF world though -- DPIART, Bill Potter, Scott Brown, Kevin Swanson, Voddie Baucham, and so on -- were never in the military, AFAIK. 

Military cosplay and faux patriotism are one thing. Actually serving alongside women and teh gayz or -- horrors!! -- as a subordinate to them is totally another.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Military brat here. Yes, plenty of fundies in the military. 2nd generation, not so much. Both of my brothers considered military careers. One went to Bible college (but now works in cyber security) and the other realized he was headed to the Middle East if he did so he went for his degree.

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 10

11 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Military brat here. Yes, plenty of fundies in the military. 2nd generation, not so much. Both of my brothers considered military careers. One went to Bible college (but now works in cyber security) and the other realized he was headed to the Middle East if he did so he went for his degree.

I observed (at long range) a conversion which was intriguing. The couple were both in the service, which had always made me wonder what their life together would’ve been like if they went fundie earlier Would she have been expected not to re-up?  We’ll never know.  I love these two but it’s hard to have a conversation with them. His naturally large ego and tendency to dominate every conversation is pronounced. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Military brat here. Yes, plenty of fundies in the military.

The Air Force is particularly rife with fundies and evangelicals. The Military Religious Freedom Project, led by Mikey Weinstein is fighting the good fight against incursion of forced religion into the military.  

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

Steve Maxwell was at one point, wasn't he? Air Force or something similar. And Meredith Hammers husband. 

Sarah did mention a few posts ago Steve was in the military. She just did a post about her grandfather serving on Veterans Day.

Also, David and Priscilla Waller had mentioned both of their fathers serving, I believe, I know Pa Keller did. Jill Rodrigues mentioned her grandfather had served as well. I believe many of the grandfathers of the Staddons, Wilkes, and Neelys served as well. 

• Upvote 5

Steven Bowman recently joined...his wife is Lacie Verrett ( joined with the Botkin/Courters of TN)...Her posts were interesting, she made it sound like it was a childhood dream of his to join but when you have three kids in less than three years and I believe Steven was a "filmmaker" or such...the prospect of a steady paycheck and health insurance is appealing...Elijah Meggs of Meggs Mission also enlisted and looks to be at fort drum in NY.

• Upvote 3

Oh, I got this I got this! Military spouse, here. Lots and lots of fundies in the military. Two (homeschool only) families were so fundy that their children ran away from my two year old! The worst part was that the mothers fracking approved of them being so mean to a toddler. There was a stay-at-home dad whose wife was deployed, and there were several families who shunned him because it was she who was the breadwinner and he who was the nurturer.

I feel that the military lifestyle--that the wife supports the husband through the ranks--is very appealing to fundie types. I also think that many men have trouble finding a woman who wants to give us so much of her career. So, they fall into marrying fundy women and then they sink into that awful, hateful life.

Funny enough, There are more non-religious in the military than in the civilian world. But the fundies are a very special bunch.

Pasting an info-graphic of religious preference in the military, from the ever excellent Military Atheists and Freethinkers.

image.thumb.png.a417bd63149a9c7c2c19e91ccb375666.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

The Air Force is the most conservative branch, so there are a lot of fundies and even more fundie light. Most military fundies aren't trying to be famous and can at least pretend to be open minded on the job.

• Upvote 2

I personally know some pretty conservative guys who are in the military. They're not from famous fundie families. Just quietly living their lives. Patriotism was always a big thing in my circles growing up. 

• Upvote 1

Jim Buckingham (of the Buckingham-Hales) was also in the Army. He was an instructor at West Point. The military connection was how he knew Steve Maxwell. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Well, there's patriotism and then there's cosplaytriotism.

Doug Phillips & Bill Potter in July 2011 -- all dressed up and no where to go:

471846871_Dynamicduo.thumb.jpg.2403fc6e0709c36afebc33739280e060.jpg

• Disgust 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 13

I believe Jill Rodrigues's nephew is in the military too...

I personally know an "ex-gay" Army chaplain with 3 kids in 7 years and counting...

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, FilleMondaine said:

Oh, I got this I got this! Military spouse, here. Lots and lots of fundies in the military. Two (homeschool only) families were so fundy that their children ran away from my two year old! The worst part was that the mothers fracking approved of them being so mean to a toddler. There was a stay-at-home dad whose wife was deployed, and there were several families who shunned him because it was she who was the breadwinner and he who was the nurturer.

I feel that the military lifestyle--that the wife supports the husband through the ranks--is very appealing to fundie types. I also think that many men have trouble finding a woman who wants to give us so much of her career. So, they fall into marrying fundy women and then they sink into that awful, hateful life.

Funny enough, There are more non-religious in the military than in the civilian world. But the fundies are a very special bunch.

Pasting an info-graphic of religious preference in the military, from the ever excellent Military Atheists and Freethinkers.

image.thumb.png.a417bd63149a9c7c2c19e91ccb375666.png

So, "general population" refers to the whole military population. But if you notice how many chaplains are weighted towards evangelical....well....you get a sense that there is a whole lot of pressure coming from the chaplaincy to deepen fungelical's stronghold in the military. And don't even get me started on how these chaplains deny LGBT military all sorts of rights and privileges.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, SeverelyServingJeebus said:

I personally know an "ex-gay" Army chaplain with 3 kids in 7 years and counting...

I....I....speechless. 

I was curious and looked up the requirements to be a military chaplain and Army was the first one to pop  up.  These are rigorous requirements, although presumably a fundy college + actual seminary degree  + two years haranguing your congregation could get you there; the marginal unaccredited Bible seminary likely would not pass muster. 

From the Army Chaplain Requirements page: 

• Have completed their basic theological education for their denomination or faith tradition (often the Master of Divinity degree).
  • Have completed at least two years of post-theological education professional experience in their denomination or faith tradition (applies to active duty only).
  • Are ordained and endorsed by their denomination or faith tradition to serve in one of the components of the Army.
  • Have served a minimum of two years in a full-time professional capacity as a member of a denomination or faith group, validated by an endorsing agency (this requirement does not apply to Army Reserve or Army National Guard applicants).

Also this in the Religious Endorsements section: Sensitive to religious pluralism and able to provide for the ‘free exercise’ of religion by all military personnel, their family members and civilians who work for the Army.

All the Gothard humpers who believed Bill when he said that IBLP was better than college, Ya Burnt!  (it's a Seth Myers thing).  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

Marine spouse here—we lived in base for most of my husband’s career and I’ve met 2 hardcore fundie families.  One left the military when Obama was elected He seriously left his career halfway to retirement because “he didn’t like the direction the country was heading.”  The other family was just miserable and complained about everything and everyone all the time.

Fundy living and military life (or at least, USMC)  don’t really mesh.  For the active duty person: they have to follow orders; trust their fellow Marines with their very life; & it’d be a really bad idea to be a disrespect your superiors—even if they are a woman, atheist, lesbian, or heaven forbid, a Catholic.

For family members: there’s diversity everywhere; close quarters with your neighbors; & lots more boozy parties than you’re average family neighborhood.

We loved it. We’re Evangelical.  We’re also friendly and we’re not judgemental—which Jesus teaches—but fundies are like “f that part!”

• Upvote 10