IGNORED

John Crist, popular Christian comedian, admits to sexual misconduct

Rachel333

I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with John Crist, but he's a famous figure in Evangelical culture and very popular with a lot of Christian youth. I actually liked some of his videos satirizing Christian culture and had shared them on FJ before.

This week Christian publication Charisma published a piece about his extensive pattern of sexual misconduct, which included offering tickets to his performances in exchange for sexual favors. Crist admitted to the allegations and has cancelled his tour. His Netlix special and upcoming book have also been put on hold.

This piece from slate goes into why this story is remarkable. It's big news for the Evangelical community, and the fact that the story comes from a conservative publication makes it more difficult for a lot of Christians who would have been skeptical of a story like this to dismiss it. Charisma chose to keep the women's identities anonymous.

“There’s an unfortunately large group of believers who tend to instinctively side with the perpetrator and shame or harass the victims online,” Berglund explained by email. “We decided we wanted to avoid that, and would stake our own outlet’s credibility and reputation on the fact that we believed the women. If anyone was mad about reporting on the allegations, they could be mad at Charisma, not at the individual women who bravely spoke out.” 

I've already seen people leap to excusing Crist, which is obviously not unique to Christianity at all but in this case is often couched in the Christian language of forgiveness. Still, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 15

I’m sure people are already falling all over themselves to forgive him. When I read it I wasn’t surprised at his actions. Just that this piece was actually published. I imagine there are tons of evangelical men who have behaved like this and got away with it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

This makes me quite sad actually. I liked a lot of his jokes and I respected that he rode that line between respecting/satirizing Christian youth culture.

ugh shame on him. Just another stereotype at this point. I hope his victims get the help they need. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

I was hoping someone might start a thread on this! I have no idea at all why I keep getting Facebook and Google links to his videos but I have watched a few of them. While I initially found some of them funny (his parody of Christian mums for example) something started to prickle after a while and I stopped. He reminds me of too many church elders of my youth, the-do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do kind. 

• I Agree 1

I have not followed him closely. I didn't realize he had a book or Netflix deal. This quote from the article jumped out at me. 

There were a few moments I thought, 'Hey, this is kind of weird,' but the same phrase kept playing through my head that stopped me from leaving: 'It's OK. He's a Christian. He won't do anything inappropriate.'"

"I've let myself believe that just because someone is a Christian means they won't do something intentionally bad.

This woman didn't seem to be some sheltered fundie but still she had been brainwashed by the evangelical community to think that a Christian man behaving inappropriately was okay because he was a Christian and so those things weren't really inappropriate it was just her taking them in the wrong way. 

Yet some evidence suggests certain Christian leaders have been aware of Crist's behavior and—through inaction—let it continue unchecked. 

Not surprising one bit. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I have not followed him closely. I didn't realize he had a book or Netflix deal. This quote from the article jumped out at me. 

This woman didn't seem to be some sheltered fundie but still she had been brainwashed by the evangelical community to think that a Christian man behaving inappropriately was okay because he was a Christian and so those things weren't really inappropriate it was just her taking them in the wrong way. 

Not surprising one bit. 

That’s why I think this happens all the time. I think a lot of men use their high position in a Christian community to get away with things someone else would never get away with. We know men with prestige and power get away with a lot. But add out and proud Christian to that and they probably think they are untouchable. And they are mostly right. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s why I think this happens all the time. I think a lot of men use their high position in a Christian community to get away with things someone else would never get away with. We know men with prestige and power get away with a lot. But add out and proud Christian to that and they probably think they are untouchable. And they are mostly right. 

There is a huge power differential that is a set up for allowing unscrupulous people to sin (intentional word use) unquestioned and unchecked.

The same power differential that allows politically powerful people (think Trump or Kavanaugh) - or financially powerful people (think Weinstein) - the same behavior.

I do not think any of it will stop until there are viable ways to close that power differential.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, neurogirl said:

This makes me quite sad actually. I liked a lot of his jokes and I respected that he rode that line between respecting/satirizing Christian youth culture.

ugh shame on him. Just another stereotype at this point. I hope his victims get the help they need. 

I did enjoy his jokes.. I'm very sad to hear that even he has fallen prey to his penile desires. Will it ever end?

• Upvote 6

I liked his “Cartoons Christian kids weren’t allowed to watch” video.

”CatDog:  Not how God intended it.”

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Not surprising one bit. 

I think it’s more of a human thing, where we are more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to someone in our group (however that’s defined). Predators simply say whatever their victims want to hear, whether it’s about Jesus laying whatever in their hearts or the importance of protecting reproductive rights. They just say whatever needs to be said to get others to lower their guards.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

"I've let myself believe that just because someone is a Christian means they won't do something intentionally bad. But the truth is, John invited me to his apartment with the intention of sleeping with me after shaking hands with my boyfriend."

Ugh... This young woman has been socialized to believe that her boyfriend is more the victim here-- for someone wanting to "take" his woman-- than she is. Girl, he shook your hand, too!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Wow this is awful.  I enjoyed several of his satire videos.

I have some upvotes to go and remove.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I’m a Christian (non-fundie, pants wearing, even occasional wine-drinking) and I enjoyed John Crist.  Even saw him live.  He’s funny.  But I’m super disappointed in him and will no longer watch his stuff.  I’ve heard some responses along the lines of  “we all need Jesus, we’ve all sinned”, which is true.  But when you market yourself as wholesome Christian entertainment you will be held to a higher standard.  And this is something he did multiple times.  I hope he gets help, seeks forgiveness sincerely, but....I will no longer be a fan.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I'm another disappointed fan. Mostly I'm disappointed in him--for doing this in the first place, and for a statement that strikes me as more sorry for being caught than for the sexual misconduct in the first place. I'm also disappointed to know of leaders that have known about this and have helped keep it quiet. I didn't get the impression that anyone who knew had been encouraging him to confess and repent, which is what we Christians are supposed to do as part of dealing with our own sin.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I’m soooo disappointed. I loved his comedy. Though recently I had the feeling of him being very two faced. He’s on persona was very wholesome satire. His Instagram stories were starting to lead me to think he was more “worldly” than the persona he was trying to put out. Some sexual undertones and a few I thought he was intoxicated. I have no problem with sex or intoxication I’ve been known to do both however I haven’t gotten a Netflix deal for being a uber Christian. 

• Upvote 9

I used to follow his social media, but something about him started to irritate me, and I quit. 

So many comments on his Instagram talk about forgiveness and mercy and not judging. I'm all about forgiving people and giving them a chance to change their wrong behavior. But sometimes that behavior is so hurtful that it causes lasting damage to people! Wrong choices have consequences, and with his background, he should know that. 

I'm not saying that he is expecting for his life and career to continue unchanged. But I wish his fans would realize that he can't just say "I'm sorry" and everything be fixed. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I am also disappointed to hear this. I hadn't heard of him before joining FJ but I enjoyed several of his videos. I think the first one I saw was his parody of missioncations and I really liked that one. 

I'm curious to hear what ends up happening with him.

• Upvote 2