IGNORED

M is for Mama 5: Praying for Lunch

Coconut Flan

9 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

That's one thing they never mention on those shows. Rooms with doors are easier and cheaper to heat / cool

My great grandparents had a two story home but there was a bedroom and bathroom on the first floor so they didn’t have to go upstairs much. In the winter, they always put this heavy blanket hanging on the stairwell. They would close the vents upstairs and just heat the first floor. 

• Upvote 4

Btw I can’t even imagine the cost to heat that giant open house in the winter and cool it in the summer. It must be expensive. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

heat that giant open house in the winter and cool it in the summer.

You, of course, are assuming that they actually do both (either).

Braggie strikes me a the sort of person who would have a window unit in her bedroom, maybe one in the living room, but nowhere else.

My MIL had a window unit in her bedroom. The rest of the house was hot as hades as they ILs never took the storm windows out.  No windows could be opened.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

You, of course, are assuming that they actually do both (either).

At the same time, if this were the guess I’m pretty sure we’d know about it. Braggie would just have to have hashtag and tell us all about how it makes her more like Jesus.

#hotisnotthesamethingasbad 

#coldisnotthesamethingasbeingascoolasme

• Haha 7

@JermajestyDuggar I purely watch HGTV for snark reasons :D and watching it trough my cultural lense is even more entertaining. Houses here a made of brick, interior walls also. So riping out walls to create a new floor plan isn't easy doable, exp not the manly men kicking out walls for TV. Heating here is hot water with wall mounted radiators and cooling is simply done by opening the windows. If you want a/c, your only option here for your house/ apartment is buying a mobile floor standing unit. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My great grandparents had a two story home but there was a bedroom and bathroom on the first floor so they didn’t have to go upstairs much. In the winter, they always put this heavy blanket hanging on the stairwell. They would close the vents upstairs and just heat the first floor. 

My grandmother’s house had a door to the upstairs, which only had bedrooms, so when my mom and aunt left home, the door was kept permanently shut so only the first floor was heated(since she couldn’t climb stairs anymore due to the effects of polio).

• Upvote 3

HGTV is hilarious. I know it's all staged and most of the clients want the same thing. It's perfect as a bingo game (maybe a drinking game if you're mostly drinking water). 

Tiny House Hunters is best as an actual drinking game, because there aren't as many episodes and it's even more hilarious. ("It's so SMALL!")

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

HGTV is hilarious. I know it's all staged and most of the clients want the same thing. It's perfect as a bingo game (maybe a drinking game if you're mostly drinking water). 

Tiny House Hunters is best as an actual drinking game, because there aren't as many episodes and it's even more hilarious. ("It's so SMALL!")

I could complain about tiny houses all day long. They make my roll my eyes so damn hard. It’s a fucking trailer! That’s it! Just buy an old airstream and fix it up! It’s a lot cheaper and easier to move because they are usually lighter. Plus I know these people are not getting rid of all their stuff. They are either storing it all in their parents’ basement or they are renting a storage locker. 

Ive said this for years but I would much rather watch a show about downsizing to a smaller home. Not a damn tiny home. But going from a 3000 sq ft home that is just too big to a smaller home more practical for their needs. 

• Upvote 10

My favorite house hunters moment was a couple looking for a mansion in Hawaii. Upon looking at the pool in the backyard, with a full view of the ocean, the wife asks "is this the only pool?"

Like what is your life?

And if you were curious, it was not the only pool.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

I looooove House Hunters because they’re mostly so gleefully awful. And always pick the worst possible house.

We have a big open first floor BUT the kitchen is behind a wall.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could complain about tiny houses all day long. They make my roll my eyes so damn hard. It’s a fucking trailer! That’s it! Just buy an old airstream and fix it up! It’s a lot cheaper and easier to move because they are usually lighter. Plus I know these people are not getting rid of all their stuff. They are either storing it all in their parents’ basement or they are renting a storage locker. 

Ive said this for years but I would much rather watch a show about downsizing to a smaller home. Not a damn tiny home. But going from a 3000 sq ft home that is just too big to a smaller home more practical for their needs. 

YES! I agree! I also do not understand why they just don't RV full time if they are doing a traveling thing. Otherwise, yes, downsizing to a more practical house for their current needs makes a lot more sense. one of the dumb small house hunters (not tiny houses but the one where they looked for houses on foundation that were small had me face palming. The family was a family of 7 or so and they found this really (horrible) small house. I went out on zillow the day I saw it and found in their area they could have found a house that was more completed, better set up and still small for their household. Some people are dumb.

I would totally watch a show going back to these people that bought the tiny house trailers or the dinky foundation homes and see how long they lived in that house, etc. 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

YES! I agree! I also do not understand why they just don't RV full time if they are doing a traveling thing. Otherwise, yes, downsizing to a more practical house for their current needs makes a lot more sense. one of the dumb small house hunters (not tiny houses but the one where they looked for houses on foundation that were small had me face palming. The family was a family of 7 or so and they found this really (horrible) small house. I went out on zillow the day I saw it and found in their area they could have found a house that was more completed, better set up and still small for their household. Some people are dumb.

I would totally watch a show going back to these people that bought the tiny house trailers or the dinky foundation homes and see how long they lived in that house, etc. 

I’ve read some confessions of tiny home owners. It seems like it’s pretty common for them to only last a year before they move on. And resale value isn’t as good as an actual small home on land. A lot of them say the same things. It’s hard for them to get some alone time, a lot of things will wear out more quickly because it’s used so much. Like a chair or rug. And of course there’s never enough storage. 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Oh I know the exact family -- LA area to rural New York, right? Two teens/preteens and two toddlers? (I suspect that the untold story is "someone got fired" or "someone made really bad financial decisions".)

I would watch the SHIT out of a Where Are Tiny House Hunters Now. And probably cackle a lot. 

• Upvote 9

26 minutes ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

Oh I know the exact family -- LA area to rural New York, right? Two teens/preteens and two toddlers? (I suspect that the untold story is "someone got fired" or "someone made really bad financial decisions".)

I would watch the SHIT out of a Where Are Tiny House Hunters Now. And probably cackle a lot. 

YES! that family. I really would like to see where that family landed! I wish I could remember the episode so I could google the family. 

That house was AWFUL!! It needed so much work and it was so tiny for the amount of people. I think in the episode it mentioned how much they sold their LA home for and I was thinking, put part of the proceeds (if they had any) to the next one. I remember the house in LA was big and expensive. 

2 hours ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

Stainless steel appliances? Check.  Granite countertops?  Check.  Open layout?  Check.  Wine fridge?(Seriously, does anyone on that show not drink or “entertain”?

ETA:

It’s hard for them to get some alone time

I lived in efficiency/studio apartments for over 20 years, including almost ten with my husband), and literally, the only time I had privacy when both of us were home was in the bathroom.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

My favorite house hunters moment was a couple looking for a mansion in Hawaii. Upon looking at the pool in the backyard, with a full view of the ocean, the wife asks "is this the only pool?"

Like what is your life?

And if you were curious, it was not the only pool.

I have an unhealthy love for Love it or List It and I'm still cracking up at this one lady who said (in all seriousness) "I don't even know how I'm going to FUNCTION without a mudroom!"

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, smittykins said:

Stainless steel appliances? Check.  Granite countertops?  Check.  Open layout?  Check.  Wine fridge?(Seriously, does anyone on that show not drink or “entertain”?

Drink every time someone says “entertain” on house hunters and you’ll be drunk by the end of the episode. 

Who does all this entertaining?! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I like walls and separate rooms and NOT having a guest room or entertaining space. Because I'm a curmudgeon.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, smittykins said:

your forgott at least 3 bedrooms minimum for a single person or a childless couple, because they have overnight guests all the time.

Tiny house hunters aren't here yet on TV, but I love to snark watch House Hunters international, esp thae episodes in central Europe. A snark goldmine.

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Drink every time someone says “entertain” on house hunters and you’ll be drunk by the end of the episode. 

Who does all this entertaining?! 

With my current watching habits I'm in danger of developing a serious drinking problem that way

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, FiddleDD said:

I have an unhealthy love for Love it or List It and I'm still cracking up at this one lady who said (in all seriousness) "I don't even know how I'm going to FUNCTION without a mudroom!"

Love it or list is my guilty pleasure. It's so scripted and unrealistic yet I can't look away.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

but I love to snark watch House Hunters international

Same. Between the surprise at house prices (no seriously, you thought central Paris was going to be cheap?) and the different cultural expectations it's hilarious. The one in Adelaide though... I needed way more information as to why they picked the one they did. It was a terrible choice for a family with two small kids.

1 hour ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

I would watch the SHIT out of a Where Are Tiny House Hunters Now. And probably cackle a lot

Grand Designs went back after several years to see how living in the featured houses was going. Some people it's fine, some would have changed things. Unfortunately they've never gone back to my favourite one, which was a very Gothic inspired look and was the reason 'stop buying gargoyles!' became shorthand in my house for 'stop digging yourself deeper into a hole'.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

In one of Abbie's current copious Insta stories, she said she's "not a real touchy feely person". Hello, obvious. Anyway, she gave a long trich update and has been doing better both through "supernatural" help and physical effort- no further mention of therapy. She got her eyebrows microbladed today in exchange for posting it on her stories and promoting the woman/studio. Microblading is not something I'm super familiar with- I imagine it's not cheap. I'm surprised someone would do it solely in exchange for some Instagram posts, especially when most of Abbie's followers are not local (I assume). Ezra went with her to film and it's a lovely shot basically up her nose for quite a long time. And she was chewing gum with the camera in her face.

• Rufus Bless 2

@therulesofjinx, my daughter’s micro blade job cost her $400, but her enhanced brows look so good you’d never realize they’re mostly fake. On my budget, I’ll stick to eyebrow pencil!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Braggie is lying. She does a lot of her decorating when the kids are at her mother’s house for the weekend. When the oldest three are taking care of all the younger ones. 

5331C03E-D9D6-4089-95F3-2CA87084A3E9.jpeg

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Braggie is lying. She does a lot of her decorating when the kids are at her mother’s house for the weekend. When the oldest three are taking care of all the younger ones. 

5331C03E-D9D6-4089-95F3-2CA87084A3E9.jpeg

Agreed, her pants are definitely on fire. Remember when she wallpapered her closet while Ezra played daddy? 

All the various incarnations of the dining room highlights just how much time and money she wastes. She can talk all day about her deal scrounging and after christmas sales but discounts at high end stores are still more expensive than a lot of people can afford. She may also be getting some good second hand deals but I know from experience that it takes a great deal of time to find quality secondhand furniture at a good price that specifically matches your decor. And where are her kids while she spends all that time searching? Abbie's "See? I'm just like you only better!" schtick is so transparent. Who among her Insta following actually believes this shit?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic