IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 2:20 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I teared up a little, it so sweet. 

I watched the video where most of the family came to see Gracie, I noticed Austin came to see her but Joy wasn't there. I wonder if she's still having a hard time with all the little girls.  We've only seen her holding Bella at Christmas and she looked a little sad in that photo. I can't imagine having to be around all those little girls who where born when your little girl should have been born, it has got to be hard for her. 

Joy was there, she was stood next to Jana

joyanna.PNG

ykgehuwdj.PNG

• Upvote 7

On 2/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, Idlewild said:

I haven’t seen the birth special- so does JD give any examples of their ‘green’ lifestyle? For a Duggar that could mean using china plates and silverware. They use planes and a helicopter- I’ve never seen them use public transport.

maybe they mean wearing second hand clothes or sharing their bath water?! 

Honestly, waiting until they were “older” to get married, and thereby having fewer children, is by far the most environmentally friendly thing they could ever do. 

Living in a small house can have a big (good) impact on the environment. It means they will use far less electricity or fuel to heat and cool the house, and less recourses to maintain the building.

• Upvote 22
  • Love 1

I couldn’t believe Jana swinging by the hospital with snacks, and bring no less than five children with her. Because that’s what you want to see when you’re in labour and vulnerable. FIVE kids dropping by. Thank goodness they weren’t allowed in. These people are idiots.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, mpheels said:

Honestly, waiting until they were “older” to get married, and thereby having fewer children, is by far the most environmentally friendly thing they could ever do. 

Living in a small house can have a big (good) impact on the environment. It means they will use far less electricity or fuel to heat and cool the house, and less recourses to maintain the building.

These are fairly normal things though- and certainly don’t offset using planes and helicopter as transport. I think I’ll file their green credentials under Jana’s concert pianist status! 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's because I just binged on Tiny House Nation on Netflix, but their 660 sq ft house looks very well redone and has new appliances. My one bedroom apt is slightly bigger but sometimes it feels too big tbh. I would love a bigger bathroom tho. Not physically possible in this apt. But I did take away a lot of my bedroom to build a walk in closet. I would have made the closet even bigger if the damn window/radiator wasn't in the way lol

Anyway, I really liked their house. It looks comfortable. A lot of the couples houses don't look comfortable to me.

• Upvote 4

On 2/7/2020 at 4:24 AM, Irishy said:

I couldn’t believe Jana swinging by the hospital with snacks, and bring no less than five children with her. Because that’s what you want to see when you’re in labour and vulnerable. FIVE kids dropping by. Thank goodness they weren’t allowed in. These people are idiots.

RIGHT?? I counted heads on their way out the door and was like "why does everyone need to go for snacks??" 

Also - how many people were they expecting to feed in the hospital? They had a basket of food plus they were each carrying something. (including a case of...water?) 

I hope they were also putting food AT the house for the new parents...

Edited by Meggo
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to newborns. I understand mom needs to get out. But why are there newborns at the mall? Last time I went I saw newborns at the mall during Christmas shopping season. It's just so weird to me. Why are you taking an unvaxxed baby to the mall during cold/flu season?? I know too much about whooping cough to be ok with that. I see newborns at the movies all the time. It's so loud and gross in there I just don't understand it. If you need to go out, go out on a walk or a small family gathering. There's absolutely no reason why 40 loud kids need to gang up on a newborn.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to newborns. I understand mom needs to get out. But why are there newborns at the mall? Last time I went I saw newborns at the mall during Christmas shopping season. It's just so weird to me. Why are you taking an unvaxxed baby to the mall during cold/flu season?? I know too much about whooping cough to be ok with that. I see newborns at the movies all the time. It's so loud and gross in there I just don't understand it. If you need to go out, go out on a walk or a small family gathering. There's absolutely no reason why 40 loud kids need to gang up on a newborn.

This raises yet another question for me, how can you make sure everyone you know and love gets their booster shots and flu vaccines before coming around your newborn? I know people will lie about it, I see it all the time on facebook groups where antivaxxers encourage one another to lie to their family and friends about having vaccinated to see the new kid. It's the most terrifying thing to me. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 12
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

This raises yet another question for me, how can you make sure everyone you know and love gets their booster shots and flu vaccines before coming around your newborn? I know people will lie about it, I see it all the time on facebook groups where antivaxxers encourage one another to lie to their family and friends about having vaccinated to see the new kid. It's the most terrifying thing to me. 

My mind is so confused at this. How the hell do people think they have that right? It's a newborn!!! Why are they so important that they think it's ok to get a tiny human being sick?!!?!? Why would you even want that baby sick? Ever notice that the antivaxxers are the ones who are vaccinated because their parents lived thru the hell that was the polio outbreak. Small pox is back! There's measles outbreaks everywhere. The mumps too! Maybe I'm overthinking it but I just can't think this. 

• Upvote 18

13 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

My mind is so confused at this. How the hell do people think they have that right? It's a newborn!!! Why are they so important that they think it's ok to get a tiny human being sick?!!?!? Why would you even want that baby sick? Ever notice that the antivaxxers are the ones who are vaccinated because their parents lived thru the hell that was the polio outbreak. Small pox is back! There's measles outbreaks everywhere. The mumps too! Maybe I'm overthinking it but I just can't think this. 

First, it’s  an education deficit. It’s not malicious, as most people who need a booster are likely not ill. I think adult vaccines fall into the “medical donut hole”. My doctor has never asked me about my vaccine record, other than offering a yearly flu shot, and many insurance companies do not cover boosters. Recently, I was on the wait list for a Shingles vaccine, and when my turn came the pharmacist informed me that my insurance would not cover the shots(2 now required). My cost was going to be $600, and these shots are supposed to have a low efficacy rate. At this point, I’m holding off. 
Ive had all the other required shots. I get my DPT on the big years: 40, 50, 60...it’s easier to keep track. MDs should be prompting and dispensing at yearly physicals and insurance companies should cover these vaccines.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

First, it’s  an education deficit. It’s not malicious, as most people who need a booster are likely not ill. I think adult vaccines fall into the “medical donut hole”. My doctor has never asked me about my vaccine record, other than offering a yearly flu shot, and many insurance companies do not cover boosters. Recently, I was on the wait list for a Shingles vaccine, and when my turn came the pharmacist informed me that my insurance would not cover the shots(2 now required). My cost was going to be $600, and these shots are supposed to have a low efficacy rate. At this point, I’m holding off. 
Ive had all the other required shots. I get my DPT on the big years: 40, 50, 60...it’s easier to keep track. MDs should be prompting and dispensing at yearly physicals and insurance companies should cover these vaccines.

Question: Did you go to a giant pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens for Shingrix? If you have independent pharmacies around you, little mom and pop shops, they will never charge you $600. The vaccine doesn't cost that much. One box wholesale is about $170, depending on location. Mom and pop shops will probably give you a much better cash price. The big box stores mark up their cash prices like crazy. I know for a fact that 30 pills of a cholesterol medication the big places charge over $60-80 cash price. Mom and pops will probably charge $20. We're allowed to change our prices but the big places have set prices for everything and the pharmacists aren't allowed to alter any prices at all. (I own a small independent pharmacy) 

And you're right. Not even my new doctor asked what vaccines I've received. I never even thought about it. We are in an adult donut hole. I had to call my parents doctor to ask if they're allowed to get Shingrix. It was a whole thing. He didn't want to be liable for it.

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 2

I have had pneumonia vacs, annual flu vacs, tetanus as needed and shingles vacs, but only because my insurance or Medicare will cover the costs.  I'm old enough that I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox when I was little. I had polio vac as a kid, but I have no smallpox vac scar although I must have had the vac. Should I have other stuff if I'm around newborns?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Question: Did you go to a giant pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens for Shingrix? If you have independent pharmacies around you, little mom and pop shops, they will never charge you $600. The vaccine doesn't cost that much. One box wholesale is about $170, depending on location. Mom and pop shops will probably give you a much better cash price. The big box stores mark up their cash prices like crazy. I know for a fact that 30 pills of a cholesterol medication the big places charge over $60-80 cash price. Mom and pops will probably charge $20. We're allowed to change our prices but the big places have set prices for everything and the pharmacists aren't allowed to alter any prices at all. (I own a small independent pharmacy) 

And you're right. Not even my new doctor asked what vaccines I've received. I never even thought about it. We are in an adult donut hole. I had to call my parents doctor to ask if they're allowed to get Shingrix. It was a whole thing. He didn't want to be liable for it.

It was Walgreens. Thank you for this additional info.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I have had pneumonia vacs, annual flu vacs, tetanus as needed and shingles vacs, but only because my insurance or Medicare will cover the costs.  I'm old enough that I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox when I was little. I had polio vac as a kid, but I have no smallpox vac scar although I must have had the vac. Should I have other stuff if I'm around newborns?

I had to get the whooping cough (pertussis) shot before one of the last babies in the family was born. It was a Tdap -- tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I think the big concern for newborns is exposure to Pertussis/Whopping cough as this illness causes very thick secretions that easily clog the airways of infants. Most healthy newborns get their first dose of Pertussis vaccine at age 3 months. A DTap is a combined adult booster that contains Diptheria-Tetnus - Pertussis vaccines.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Xan said:

I had to get the whooping cough (pertussis) shot before one of the last babies in the family was born. It was a Tdap -- tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough.

Oh man you reminded me when I had to get the tetanus shot. Worst 3 days ever. I had a bad reaction and my arm hurt like shit. Soooooooooooooooo bad. I was ready to punch someone.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I think the big concern for newborns is exposure to Pertussis/Whopping cough as this illness causes very thick secretions that easily clog the airways of infants. Most healthy newborns get their first dose of Pertussis vaccine at age 3 months. A DTap is a combined adult booster that contains Diptheria-Tetnus - Pertussis vaccines.

Is DTap a one time only adult booster?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

My Shingrix would have been around $175 at our mom and pop pharmacy, but I had since I had already met my annual deductible, it was $65.

• Upvote 2

It depends on the recommendations of the health authorities wherever you live.

In Australia, it's every 10 yrs.  There is some talk about most people not needing it so frequently but, since most people don't actually get it as often as they should and because it's cheap, the policy us to basically stab first and to ask questions later unless you someone's record sitting in front of you.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Is DTap a one time only adult booster?

Every 10 years is the recommendation for most people. I work with at-risk communities and have pretty bad asthma so my doc jabs me every 5 years instead. 

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, adidas said:

Every 10 years is the recommendation for most people. I work with at-risk communities and have pretty bad asthma so my doc jabs me every 5 years instead. 

I get my TDAP every ten years though I think when I managed to stab myself in the barn with a hay fork my physician gave me one a little early. (I was standing there thinking that "this may be the stupidest thing I have ever done." I hated even thinking about describing what I did to my doctor. I didn't check the damage until I was in the house. I pulled down a bale of hay from a high stack with the hay fork. The hay bale bounced, hit the fork, and drove it into my shin.) 

• Sad 5

16 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I agree that booster are a general education deficit and sometimes due to different medical recommendations (here yearly flu shots are only recommended for elderly people or people at risk/working in crowded places). 
But most anti-vaxxers in my country are parents that refuse to vaccinate their children. They spend hundreds of hours “educating” themselves on the internet and are often not badly or un- educated in general (which is shocking). It’s a more trendy, all-natural, back to the roots, Pharma conspiracy mindset that you won’t come across in a working class environment. They will just go with whatever the paediatrician recommends and maybe forget to schedule dates but not because they don’t trust vaccines. 

I would like to add, that many aren’t completely anti vaccines. Many do some and leave others. The combined vaccines can be given in single shots too, so they often are very selective about what they think is acceptable and what not. I am all for being educated what kind of vaccine you or someone in your care gets and it might be a better call to delay a shot for a couple of weeks or use a different vaccine type. But denying the importance and refusing to vaccinate is just irresponsible, thoughtless and negligent.
I guess with certain diseases coming back into the normal this trend will die in a about ten to 15 years time. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I agree that booster are a general education deficit and sometimes due to different medical recommendations (here yearly flu shots are only recommended for elderly people or people at risk/working in crowded places). 
But most anti-vaxxers in my country are parents that refuse to vaccinate their children. They spend hundreds of hours “educating” themselves on the internet and are often not badly or un- educated in general (which is shocking). It’s a more trendy, all-natural, back to the roots, Pharma conspiracy mindset that you won’t come across in a working class environment. They will just go with whatever the paediatrician recommends and maybe forget to schedule dates but not because they don’t trust vaccines. 

I would like to add, that many aren’t completely anti vaccines. Many do some and leave others. The combined vaccines can be given in single shots too, so they often are very selective about what they think is acceptable and what not. I am all for being educated what kind of vaccine you or someone in your care gets and it might be a better call to delay a shot for a couple of weeks or use a different vaccine type. But denying the importance and refusing to vaccinate is just irresponsible, thoughtless and negligent.
I guess with certain diseases coming back into the normal this trend will die in a about ten to 15 years time. 

From your lips to God's ears! 

We are vaccinators. I'm on the fence about the flu* shot - mostly because I always forget about it until sometime in March - but we vax on schedule. And here in my corner of Ontario - it's vax or your kid is suspended. (I'm sure there is some provision for a kid who cannot legitimately get the shot for X but they do run clinics to make sure everyone gets everything). 
I had originally planned to stagger shots, just in case there was an issue. But then I got handed a 31week preemie and we had to completely wash and disinfect when we went into the hospital to spend time with him - so we were extra sure we got our shots, everyone got theirs and we handed them a big old bottle of hand sanitizer when they walked into the house and pointed them to the sink. 

*We did all get one the year we were flying to FL during flu season. But haven't been good about getting it again.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I just want to add in case some might not know that insurance will cover your flu shot in Germany even if it's not officially recommended. (I can't imagine something like this ever happening in the States). I was willing to pay for mine out of pocket this year, but the insurance covered it, and my husband's too. It seems like European countries are starting to come around to the idea of vaccinating everyone against the flu. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I just want to add in case some might not know that insurance will cover your flu shot in Germany even if it's not officially recommended. (I can't imagine something like this ever happening in the States). I was willing to pay for mine out of pocket this year, but the insurance covered it, and my husband's too. It seems like European countries are starting to come around to the idea of vaccinating everyone against the flu. 

Some workplaces provide them for free onsite.

I've worked for two companies that did that, it saves them on sick time and gets them wellness program head pats from the insurance company.

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic