IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

UM

I live in north Alabama. We had tornadoes yesterday. Two people died in my area alone. Tornado season is not over. It’s in the spring AND the fall. Being this cavalier about peoples lives is absolutely monstrous. 

OMG indeed. 

Editing to add that the two who died were parents. Their child is in intensive care. He was orphaned right before Christmas. The more I think about this poster and his/her attitude, the angrier I get. 

Edited by princessmahina
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 14
  • Love 10

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I had a trollish user compare me to Steven Anderson in the throes of a very very stupid argument, if it makes you feel any better. That was legitimately the worst moment I've had here.

You're good people. ❤️

Oh lord that’s horrible! Hugs! Come to JRod we have Christmas trees, cats, sewing machines, and a new Rod House. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Love 5

We don't live in a frequent tornado area but we have had tornados and we have had (thankfully very few) tornado related fatalities. My dad lives in a trailer and his area was under a tornado watch this Summer. I was terrified. 

My mom drives a truck and often has hauled loads through Kansas/Oklahoma/Nebraska during Tornado season and I've spent enough sleepless nights checking weather repprts to know that they aren't a funny topic. 

My heart goes out to the FJers who have to live with that fear and grief. I'm sending you all the hugs and positive thoughts.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

My advice is if you live in a trailer is to get a weather radio, a weather app for your phone (many are free), and know ahead of time where you can go for shelter.  

@princessmahinaHowdy neighbor!  I live in N AL too.  Living in Dixie Alley isn't fun during severe weather, is it.

• Upvote 12

10 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

My advice is if you live in a trailer is to get a weather radio, a weather app for your phone (many are free), and know ahead of time where you can go for shelter.  

@princessmahinaHowdy neighbor!  I live in N AL too.  Living in Dixie Alley isn't fun during severe weather, is it.

It certainly isn’t! I love living here but I could do without the tornadoes. 

• Upvote 4

I once lived about five minutes noway from a trailer park. One of the people I know had severe  ( not an exaggeration ) damage done to her trailer because of a freak windstorm  and thunderstorm a couple of years ago. A huge tree fell on her roof, and it was devastating. 

I had a viewing for a trailer a couple of months ago , but my mom does not   feel safe enough  to want live in one. 

There are some lovely trailers, better than some apartments that I have recently viewed.

• Upvote 7

23 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Floridian here. Most mobile homes in Florida are insured through Citizens Insurance which is a goverment run insurance. Premiums would not be over 20k....maybe over the course of 10 years if you live in a risky area. Also, most trailers are much more than 20k.

I have seen a trailer survive a house fire and be rebuilt on the inside. The outside structure was still intact. The entire inside not so much. Open areas were burnt. Rooms with closed doors only had smoke damage.

I have no experience with tornadoes and would probably not choose one if living in Tornado alley (especially if the park didn't have a shelter).

I don't live in a trailer. Many of them are beautiful. Tons of retirees in Florida choose them and many of them are not poor.

My late aunt lived in a lovely one in Florida. It was very nice sized for two people. She had a small deck,  a porch too. 

Edited by libgirl2

Do you guys consider trailers and manufactured homes to be different or the same? To me a trailer has a hitch and a manufactured home doesn’t. Sometimes they were called mobile homes when I was a kid which makes it all confusing. I’m in CA where we don’t get a ton of crazy weather, but I’d be nervous in a trailer in a big windy storm.

• Upvote 3

@Kaylo, it depends.  Most single wide and double wide “mobile homes” can be hauled via semi or professional movers to a home site in a park or on private land.  And frequently, they never move again; but they can be moved if necessary.  They don’t have wheels or hitches attached like smaller trailers, but they can still be picked up and carried away.  

There is a separate category of manufactured homes that are not mobile.  My cousin and her husband have lived in one since around 1990.  Its components were factory-built, transported to their land, then assembled on site over a concrete foundation.  The foundation is a crawl space rather than a full basement, but the house itself is a basic ranch plan and is not meant to be moved from its current location.  Since it was built so long ago, I no longer recall how it compares to a traditional mobile home, but they do not live in hurricane territory, and they have very low risk for tornadoes.  They do get high winds, but I’m pretty sure they’ve never had any significant storm damage.  

Edited by catlady
Clarity
  • Upvote 8

Catching up but wow @OMG you’re a dick. I’d love to see those statistics of yours

but seriously imagine thinking you’re more right then FACTS... sounds like certain political members we know.l.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

"I don't live in a trailer. Many of them are beautiful. Tons of retirees in Florida choose them and many of them are not poor."

I live in one of those communities ("trailer" defined as home without basement that is theoretically mobile) in Florida and it is lovely--looks like cottages or bungalows. The thing is, you own the home but not the land, and there are extensive fees--and they are going up (actually, conglomerates are buying up mobile home parks all throughout the South and raising lot rents and fees because they know the people can't afford to move). People live in them because they can't afford a downpayment on a "real" house or condo, or don't qualify for a mortgage, but otherwise aren't necessarily poor.
My cousins who are affluent bought 2-bedroom condos in lovely spots in Central Florida for around $70,000, and they pay around $600 PER YEAR for fees which include taxes and cable. My lot rent just went up to $670 PER MONTH.
Yes, it looks very nice and I am an educated retiree still working part tie (as almost everyone here is/does) and certainly IMO aren't "trailer trash." But I pay more than 10 times the fees of affluent retirees because I could not afford to buy an $80,000 condo." It's in that sense the poverty tax.
Also, while the homes are ostensibly "mobile," you'd have to move them to land that you own/is zoned/whatever, plus often the agreement is that you will not move the home.

Edited by patsymae
add something I forot
  • Upvote 17
  • Sad 3

On 12/18/2019 at 1:28 AM, RosyDaisy said:

Unless you live in Pasco County, FL, and are not one of the numerous elderly-- meaning parents of baby boomers and even some of them-- who do not have smart phones or Wi-Fi. And where you can go for shelter is only determined minute by minute and the county only posts those online.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

All of that is true, and it's awful.  It shouldn't be like that.  I personally believe all trailer parks should be required to have a storm shelter

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Abbie had the baby on 7th January. Grace Annette Duggar, weighing 7lb 11oz  and measuring 20.75 inches.

I absolutely love her name. No other GrandDuggars have been named after Michelle until now so It's a lovely tribute to her. 

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/abbie-duggar-gives-birth-to-baby-girl-with-john-david-duggar-pic/

Edited by jillsdopplerofdoom
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 9

2 minutes ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

Abbie had the baby on 7th January. Grace Annette Duggar, weighing 7lb 3oz  and measuring 20.75 inches.

I absolutely love her name.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/abbie-duggar-gives-birth-to-baby-girl-with-john-david-duggar-pic/

I just read the article and it says 7 lbs 11 oz.

I do like the name and the ode to Abbie and Michelle. With all the people’s names predictions I kind of convinced myself that she was going to have an aviation name 

Just now, VBOY9977 said:

I just read the article and it says 7 lbs 11 oz.

I do like the name and the ode to Abbie and Michelle. With all the people’s names predictions I kind of convinced myself that she was going to have an aviation name 

Yes sorry, I typed the wrong number accidently.

I figured Grace would be her middle name. It’s such a common fundie middle name. Less common as a first name. 

• Upvote 6

It's a perfectly nice name, but it also gives off a feel of "we're still neck deep in the cult" with the virtue first name and the tribute to the Supreme Quiverfull Matriarch. 

• Upvote 13

3 minutes ago, albireo said:

It's a perfectly nice name, but it also gives off a feel of "we're still neck deep in the cult" with the virtue first name and the tribute to the Supreme Quiverfull Matriarch. 

Grace is Abbie's middle name. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Just now, feministxtian said:

Grace is Abbie's middle name. 

I know. Moving it to the first name sends more of a message, IMO.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, albireo said:

Did we have any doubts that they weren't neck deep still??

• Upvote 21

1 minute ago, viii said:

Did we have any doubts that they weren't neck deep still??

I didn't, but IIRC there were some people predicting that they'd start preventing pregnancy due to hyperemesis.

Edited by albireo
clarity

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic