IGNORED

Lori Alexander 73: Looking for Reading Comprehension, Empathy, or Self-awareness.

23 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

100% chance he's also a guy who complains about people on welfare who are "taking advantage" of taxpayers.

Yep. The sort of guy who thinks people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and that private charities should be where people go for help, not the government. 

That type of guy won't donate to those charities, of course*. But they think that's where people should get help from. That or a church. (He, like Lori and Ken, doesn't tithe to the church, so it's not any of his money.)

Oh, and can you take his wife to the food bank on Saturday to get some groceries? He needs the car that day, you see. 

*I know a guy like this. He believes in donating to charities - but only ones that don't help poor people. No habitat for humanity, no food bank, nothing like that. He hauled a whole house full of stuff to the dump rather than donate to Goodwill. The humane society, of course (got to help "the puppies and the kitties"), and maybe a cancer charity he'll donate to. But nothing that helps poor people get back on their feet. They should have made better decisions, like him. Oh, and his mom (living entirely on social security) says hi.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6

My parents didn't push the Santa is real issue, but we took a picture with him every year at the department store, and we had a boat load of Santa decorations.  My dad, the associate pastor of the church, even dressed as Santa a couple of years for the kids at church.  We had the Easter Bunny come every year to church to bring candy to the kids.  We were smart enough even as kids to separate Christmas as Jesus's birth from the myth of Santa.  

With Lori, there's no room for both.  She is so absolute in her thinking.  This mean hag also probably refuses to let her grandchildren watch Disney movies at her house, but I'm sure they watch them at home.  "Grandma, read me a book before I go to bed."  Hands Lori a copy of Cinderella.  "Oh, no.  This is not Biblical Womanhood.  Let's read Titus 2:3-5."

• Upvote 13

9 hours ago, smittykins said:

There are at least a couple of JW homeschool programs:  New System School and Pearblossom .  My JW former coworker did intend to homeschool at one point, but I don’t think she followed through.

When I briefly studied with the JWs, we covered the “Jesus wasn’t really born on December 25” thing, and the lady I studied with said something like “Don’t you feel lied to?” and I thought, “Hmmm, I thought most people knew that.”

The JW homeschoolers I knew back then might have used one of those programs. I remember they sometimes discussed curriculum and would lay out big binders on an extra table. I had a couple of middle school/high school friends who were JW. I know one person and her family did leave later on.  

• Upvote 1

Once again Lori the hypocrite is telling people to do things she didn’t do. *her having her kids reading on the couch isn’t homeschooling.*
0CDE0191-1635-4326-8534-19661E86C132.thumb.jpeg.10e44e36b0b2cae0044e0fa52fbbd40b.jpeg

i hated being homeschooled and would never homeschool if I have kids unless I absolutely had to. Homeschooling is expensive and time consuming. It takes a lot of work to educate a child. 

Spoiler

3DFAE27B-E0EE-4292-93F9-7C4905A46AB7.thumb.jpeg.83500d6454cc9607b40dc4e77936af9d.jpeg36944D06-0513-4670-83E5-66A8CC29A2C3.thumb.jpeg.0bdf71888b2574f531076d706fd9ea07.jpeg54D61F4F-9808-4853-84EB-47F7BEE1A635.thumb.jpeg.66c2566f46ea639ab148b16db77a1ed2.jpeg

• Upvote 21
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Once again Lori the hypocrite is telling people to do things she didn’t do. *her having her kids reading on the couch isn’t homeschooling.*
0CDE0191-1635-4326-8534-19661E86C132.thumb.jpeg.10e44e36b0b2cae0044e0fa52fbbd40b.jpeg

i hated being homeschooled and would never homeschool if I have kids unless I absolutely had to. Homeschooling is expensive and time consuming. It takes a lot of work to educate a child. 

Hide contents

3DFAE27B-E0EE-4292-93F9-7C4905A46AB7.thumb.jpeg.83500d6454cc9607b40dc4e77936af9d.jpeg36944D06-0513-4670-83E5-66A8CC29A2C3.thumb.jpeg.0bdf71888b2574f531076d706fd9ea07.jpeg54D61F4F-9808-4853-84EB-47F7BEE1A635.thumb.jpeg.66c2566f46ea639ab148b16db77a1ed2.jpeg

We see with a lot of the families here on FJ their version of homeschooling. Filling out crappy worksheets for a handfull of hours a day. If you put your kids around the dinner table, hand out worksheets and tell them to fill them out is neither schooling nor educating children for me, but that way you can pretend to homeschool and do all the other work around the house that's expected of you. And it frees up the older kids to work around the house once the daily sheets are done. And it gives you a low oppinion of formal school, because you are "educating" alongside your own workload.

• Upvote 12
  • Angry 1

Lori:  Is it sinful for Christians to not have children? Of course! What would happen if all Christians decided not to have kids? The heathens would take over! 

Also Lori:  What if all female nurses quit? Nah, never gonna happen, so it doesn't count.  

Edited by delphinium65
Fumble-fingers
  • Upvote 13

13 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yup. We know Lori didn't spend much time on homeschooling. I think she said years ago that when the boys were homeschooled they only did math for an hour or two and then went off to their rooms to read. 

• Upvote 6

My aunt homeschooled my cousin for one year due to said cousin's panic attacks whenever she was at the school.  Neither of them liked being cooped up in the house all day, so they made sure they weren't.  They got involved with extracurricular activities, hung out with friends, etc.  It's okay to not want to be stuck in the house all day, no matter what kind of schooling you choose.  It is not okay to treat your kids the way Lori treated hers.

• Upvote 11

So Lori thinks women should not even consider the possibility of going to college, yet they should always stay at home and homeschool their children... including the boys, who presumably are going to be expected to support a large family on their own, which for many of them will require college level education.

So women are supposed to avoid college (making them ineligible to homeschool in some areas), but then must prepare their sons to attend college. Right. 

Also, let's point out Lori didn't really do any of this. She went to college and became a teacher, yet only homeschooled a relatively small fraction of the kids' childhood (as best I can tell) and even then didn't seem to actually teach much. 

Lori has no critical thinking or common sense. I worry for (and about) the kids of people who are willing to follow the teachings of a woman who is a clear liar AND has so little brainpower she had to call a son-in-law to tell her what to do during a fire evacuation.

Hint for Lori: Quickly grab the essentials (that means important papers, your medicines, maybe some small irreplaceable items (like family photos, Lori, not your Norwex cloths), and some clothes. Include the cat, if it's not managed to escape to somewhere where people don't try to kick it. Put all this in the car. Close the house, get in the car, and drive away from the smoke!

• Upvote 15

A couple hours and some worksheets isn't homeschooling.  My kids are homeschooling because we moved, and the local public school has a serious drug/gang problem so we don't want them around that.  They attended public school where we used to live, but that one was a good school (rated in the top ten of the state). 

Now they are enrolled in a program called Liberty University Online Academy.  It is taught by certified teachers.  Students log in each day and watch video lessons and submit their assignments.  It takes about as long as a typical school day. They can video chat with the teacher if they have questions. I can check grades and make sure they turned their work in on time.  

We offered them the chance to come to school where I work at a private Christian school, but they like what they are doing better.  There is a mega church with  a huge homeschool co-op that they join in on activities with. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

So Lori thinks women should not even consider the possibility of going to college, yet they should always stay at home and homeschool their children... including the boys, who presumably are going to be expected to support a large family on their own, which for many of them will require college level education.

So women are supposed to avoid college (making them ineligible to homeschool in some areas), but then must prepare their sons to attend college. Right. 

The whole thing is one big Ponzi scheme...Eventually it will just collapse on itself....it is not sustainable. Like everything Lori prescribes....life it much more complicated to fit into a "one-size fits all" cookie cutter. existence. 

I am having some of my own personal stress this week (through the roof -- could use some prayers/positive thoughts) and I'm on my last nerve. Lori can shove her snooty, holier-than-thou, privileged opinions to herself. 

PS: and I'm SICK of her telling how she only went to college because her dad made her and it only cosst $3,600 a year "for everything"  that was in 1976 or thereabouts.  Today that would be $16,296.19. Less than a lot of schools, but not inexpensive either. So shut up.  You are privileged and you know it.  And on top of that ungrateful. You are always putting that experience down even though (while they could most likely afford it) your parents still cared enough to do that for you. 

Edited by SongRed7
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

On 12/3/2019 at 7:58 AM, smittykins said:

There are at least a couple of JW homeschool programs:

These aren't official though, as they are not sponsored by the Watchtower Society but by local JWs. I studied at one time, and yeah they rag on Christmas not being when Jesus was actually born. I responded that it didn't matter, we could celebrate his birth at any time and the day only had whatever meaning assigned to it. The Watchtower Society actually lies a lot, like about the end of the world, also known as Armageddon, which was supposed to happen about a half-dozen times now. Many former JWs actually feel lied to about that, especially since they were encouraged to give up planning for the future.  All while the WS bought millions of dollars in expensive New York property that they recently sold for huge profits.  Hypocrites.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1461721395_earlypresidentswerehomeschooled.JPG.9dcdec01ba8769fdcd17e6669e202956.JPG

Oh, Lori, this is just so fact-free.  If you want to teach, you have to back up what you say with facts.  I don't even know if homeschooling, as you understand it, was a thing, way back then, but I do know this: 

From Wikipedia just a brief snippet:

"Most presidents of the United States received a college education, even most of the earliest. Of the first seven presidents, five were college graduates. College degrees have set the presidents apart from the general population, and presidents have held such a degree even when this was quite rare indeed, as well as unnecessary, for practicing most occupations, including law. Of the forty-four individuals to have been the president, twenty-four of them graduated from a private undergraduate college, nine graduated from a public undergraduate college, and twelve held no degree. Every president since 1953 has had a bachelor's degree, reflecting the increasing importance of higher education in the United States."

Most of what Lori says cannot be reliably backed up and her understanding of Scripture is wanting.   She said on Twitter, that she doesn't even read the responses because they are negative.  Lori,  I don't think you understand what teaching is.  You impart information ... if you are wrong, you accept correction and you always take into account what your students have to say.  You teach them and listen to what they have to say.  You also learn from them.  

You dont want to teach, Lori.  You just want to rant, put women down and  BE RIGHT.   

You dont really even care who you bring them to God or not.  In fact, you turn people AWAY from God.  I have seen people say, if this is Christianity, I don't want it.  And that is sad, because you do not "teach" Christianity.  You teach a hybrid of fundamentalism & cult, aka the "beloved" Pearls and their insane views on child rearing and submission.

Edited by Liza
  • Upvote 17
  • Thank You 1

I think she means Abraham Lincoln, who was an outlier even at the time and extremely gifted. You can’t really compare, say, Timothy Rodrigues to Abraham Lincoln. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

Lori today:  

Here’s the job description from God for older women:

“Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work”

How did Lori's keyboard not go up in flames?  As far as I can tell she has only done one of those, bringing up children, and even that was half-assed and with help.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Liza said:

1461721395_earlypresidentswerehomeschooled.JPG.9dcdec01ba8769fdcd17e6669e202956.JPG

Oh, Lori, this is just so fact-free.  If you want to teach, you have to back up what you say with facts.  I don't even know if homeschooling, as you understand it, was a thing, way back then, but I do know this: 

From Wikipedia just a brief snippet:

"Most presidents of the United States received a college education, even most of the earliest. Of the first seven presidents, five were college graduates. College degrees have set the presidents apart from the general population, and presidents have held such a degree even when this was quite rare indeed, as well as unnecessary, for practicing most occupations, including law. Of the forty-four individuals to have been the president, twenty-four of them graduated from a private undergraduate college, nine graduated from a public undergraduate college, and twelve held no degree. Every president since 1953 has had a bachelor's degree, reflecting the increasing importance of higher education in the United States."

Wikipedia needs an update! Here's my take:

Most presidents of the United States received a college education, even most of the earliest. Of the first seven presidents, five were college graduates. College degrees have set the presidents apart from the general population, and presidents have held such a degree even when this was quite rare indeed, as well as unnecessary, for practicing most occupations, including law. Of the forty-five individuals to have been the president, twenty-four of them graduated from a private undergraduate college, nine graduated from a public undergraduate college, one had a degree bought for him by his wealthy parents, and twelve held no degree. Every president since 1953 has had a bachelor's degree, reflecting the increasing importance of higher education in the United States.

None of the people who have become president have been closely sheltered fundamentalist homeschoolers. Even those who didn't have an official degree were generally well informed and educated, even if they were self-taught. Many were well-read, which means NOT just the Bible. Most were well traveled, especially the earliest ones, and that was a time when travel was laborious, time consuming and difficult. They were generally curious, knowledge seeking people (excepting one or two more recent ones...). They were nothing like the fundie homeschooled kids we see today. 

Lori is so aggressively ignorant! I can't understand why anyone would listen to a single word she has to say.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

At least two of the presidents graduated from the US Military Academy.  (Would need to check if anyone other than Grant and Eisenhower were West Pointers).  Jimmy Cater graduated from the Naval Academy.  James A Garfield enrolled at the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, working as a janitor at the college in exchange for tuition and was asked to be a professor at the college in his second year of study, teaching eight classes.  He went on to graduate with honors from Williams College and then went back to  Ohio where he joined the faculty of Eclectic.  He was president of Western Reserve Eclectic Institute by the time he was 26 year old.

ETA:  If you ever want to read more about one of the most extraordinary me to ever become president, then I highly recommend Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard.   

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 2

From the website for Mt. Vernon: “Unlike many of his contemporaries, Washington never attended college it received a formal education.” 

Harvard was founded in 1636, William and Mary in 1693 (plans dated back to 1618), St. John’s College in 1696, Yale in 1701, University of PA in 1740, Moravian College in 1742, University of DE in 1743, Princeton in 1746, Washington and Lee in 1749, and Columbia in 1754. 

Higher Ed is not a new institution. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

... and Columbia (King's College) was followed by Rutgers (Queen's College) in 1766.   Without those early schools, our Founding Fathers wouldn't have founded much of anything.  Wouldn't it be great if Lori demonstrated how she is  "always learning" by taking a college course or two ?  She'd probably accept a conversion to Judaism before she challenged herself in the real world.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia.  Here is a list of those who did not attend college.  Some were military leaders.  Van Buren was a lawyer, senator, and Secretary of State.  Cleveland was Governor of NY.  Fillmore, Johnson, and Truman became president when they were VP and the president died in office.  Lori once again talks out of her ass.

And if you're still curious, the nine presidents who didn't go to college are: George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Grover Cleveland, and Harry Truman.

BTW, James Madison's wife, Dolly, had enough sense to get out of the White House when it was burning.  She didn't call her son-in-law to ask him what to do.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

BTW, James Madison's wife, Dolly, had enough sense to get out of the White House when it was burning.  She didn't call her son-in-law to ask him what to do.

She knew what was important to take with her, too. She didn't run around packing her pricey skin creams.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

@wallysmommy,  Harry Truman wanted to go to West Point or perhaps the Naval Academy.  His eyesight kept him from getting an appointment.  Harry learned to read at an early age and had read every book in the Independence, Missouri public library by the time he was six.

James Garfield had much in common with Lincoln.  Both had been born in log cabins into abject poverty and they both lost a parent at young age.   Garfield once wrote a friend "Never let us praise poverty, for a child at least".

Garfield's  mother came from a long line of New England intellectuals that included a president of Tufts and the editor of a newspaper in Boston.  She wanted her children to be educated and donated a little land for a schoolhouse.  It took James a few years and some life experience to learn to love learning, but man, when the learning bug hit, it hit James hard.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3

I’m gonna need to take a conversational detour here and leave this picture of Jake and his tattoos. It made me think of Lori. I don’t know now much debt he has but I bet he’s not a virgin. 

58DB3DB7-9E24-4A43-86C1-7623D9058C55.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 5

It makes me so sad to see people hate on learning so much. The world is full of interesting things and experiences. I don’t think God gave us this ability to have this richness in our life only for us to shun it. 

I still remember a homeschooled boy who proudly declared that he had written his first paper EVER in college. I had been working in the Uni library and was actively helping students find material for papers.  He was a freshman. I can’t imagine going to college and never having written a paper. By senior year of high school I had written 15-20 page papers. 

Nevertheless, now that I’ve been working with kids as a therapist I’ve come to appreciate alternative education programs and online school. High school is just not working for a lot of kids and alternatives seem like a better option for many. On the other hand, many kids are severely lacking in coping skills because their parents never teach them. As a result, they struggle to handle everyday stressors. Lori is a good example of how not to teach your children to cope. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

Someone ticked her off. Her Twitter this morning, working moms, feminists. Mainly working moms. One of them even was like working moms are selfish and dont care about their children. 

Lori, you were a housewife and didnt care about your children and still dont. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic