IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

AS’s FB profile says she’s working for the county chamber of commerce, so maybe she really is involved in some sort of community service right now. I absolutely can not believe she’s working outside the house for someone else, and in the government, no less. There are at least half a dozen mandates broken by that. 

Point of clarification:  chambers of commerce are rarely (if ever) part of the government. Membership is made of and supports business owners. They tend to be anti-regulation and pro-free market, things that go hand in hand with Botkinism. 

They lobby the government, and are therefore influential in government, but they aren’t government organizations. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Clementine said:

It is, but I wonder who wrote the post, with all the spelling errors.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was one of the VF interns who, back in the day, managed much of VF's social media and were notorious for poor spelling, grammar, and word usage -- SOTDRT, anyone? Usually, these mistakes would be corrected soon after they were flagged here on FJ!

2 hours ago, Howl said:

With the pandemic, I'd assume she's working remotely from the BotBorg home hive under the ever watchful supervision of Patriarchal Duck Biologist Geoff B while her sisterly accountability buddy makes sure she doesn't visit unapproved (naughty) web sites. 

I wonder if she's working for pay or if it's a volunteer position. Hard to imagine that the Hickman County CofC has many paid positions apart from its director.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Clementine said:

There is an update on the VF Facebook page, a film from "Haggai Sofia" in Istanbul. Is Doug hiring illiterate homeschooled interns again?

(I think the spelling in English is Hagia Sofia, not Haggai Sofia.)

Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and the Haggai Sophia

These younguns nowadays ain’t doin’ their book-learnin’. *spits in the dust like a stereotypical Western character*
I see stuff like this in closed captioning all the darn time. Lately I’ve been re-bingeing “Big Love” on HBO, and the CC screws up the lyrics of really common old-school hymns and pop songs all the darn time.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was one of the VF interns who, back in the day, managed much of VF's social media and were notorious for poor spelling, grammar, and word usage -- SOTDRT, anyone? Usually, these mistakes would be corrected soon after they were flagged here on FJ!

I too thought of the good old days with the VF interns!

Why is the VF page on FB active again? Do we know if it's still run and owned by Doug or any of the family members or if they had to hand it over to someone else after Doug had to resign?
Are there any plans to start a new congregation? I haven't really followed the family that much for the last 4-5 years so I don't know the latest news. My first thought was that they have run out of cash and need to get a new business church up to support themselves, but that's just speculation.

1 hour ago, Hane said:

These younguns nowadays ain’t doin’ their book-learnin’. *spits in the dust like a stereotypical Western character*
I see stuff like this in closed captioning all the darn time. Lately I’ve been re-bingeing “Big Love” on HBO, and the CC screws up the lyrics of really common old-school hymns and pop songs all the darn time.

Especially if they get their degree at the dining room table academy. :)
The old Vision Forum blog was often full of spelling and grammatical errors and we speculated that it was written by the interns. I wonder who wrote this.

• Upvote 4

@Clementine, and didn’t many of those errors miraculously get corrected after we’d pointed them out here?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Hane said:

@Clementine, and didn’t many of those errors miraculously get corrected after we’d pointed them out here?

As far as I remember, yes they did.

I went to the VF page on Facebook and now the spelling of Hagia Sofia is right. (Hire your own proofreaders, VF!)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Hane said:

Yes, this 2011 thread is one of many examples.

As to who is currently handling the VF FB page, it could certainly be more people in addition to Dougie & Beall. FB pages allow for admin teams with various roles. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2020 at 6:50 AM, Columbia said:

No picture, but I've found what the Botkins have been up to since the pandemic started. I'm curious to see the ratio of Christ the King church members to non-members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/294391014860111/about/

I just get a Facebook login, so a summary of what this is would be handy.

Actually we have a Botkin thread, which is now semi-alive again after I found Geoff's new Youtube channel which has a ton of new content. https://www.freejinger.org/topic/32592-botkin-alert-they-are-back-on-the-conference-circuit/page/20/

• Upvote 5

Don't think this merits a new topic, but Jen Fishburne recently announced that she's left Christianity.

You can watch a nearly-hour-long video of her explaining her "journey" or you can read the version she's thoughtfully prepared.

In any case, of interest to FJ are her comments on VF, DPIART, and why she & her family were kicked out of Doug's cult at BCA:

We were devastated at the excommunication. We tried to come back. We tried to make it right, although we really had no idea what we had done wrong. They refused to tell us. I found out 10 years later that Doug really just wanted to sleep with my daughter’s best friend and he had to get me out of the way to do that.

• Thank You 10

21 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Don't think this merits a new topic, but Jen Fishburne recently announced that she's left Christianity.

You can watch a nearly-hour-long video of her explaining her "journey" or you can read the version she's thoughtfully prepared.

In any case, of interest to FJ are her comments on VF, DPIART, and why she & her family were kicked out of Doug's cult at BCA:

While I don’t doubt Doug was a sleazy tool in countless ways, I strongly doubt it was as simple as that. Jen continues to attract conflict and controversy, it seems she always has and always will. Authoritarian patriarchy was always going to be a really bad fit for her.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Every so often I see something on fj that leaves me simply gobsmacked, and this is one.  OTH, Jen is one of those people vulnerable to taking on odd beliefs. 

Just one example, she's a flat earther and, of course, a Trump fan.  I strongly suspect she's a Qanon follower, simply based on her vulnerability to such beliefs.  

ETA: OK, I just finished reading Jen's google doc.  It's interesting. Fascinating, even and is changing how I think about her.   It's her personal spiritual history and her history of understanding the history of the Bible. Click  Here

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, lilith said:

While I don’t doubt Doug was a sleazy tool in countless ways, I strongly doubt it was as simple as that.

I agree. If you read Jen's chapter-and-verse account of the excommunication, her roughly contemporaneous descriptions suggest it was about control. It's clear that there was relentless bullying in order to exert that control, particularly by Doug and Beall Phillips, as well as their minions like Bob Sarratt and Kathleen Turley. 

5 hours ago, Howl said:

OTH, Jen is one of those people vulnerable to taking on odd beliefs. 

In listening to some of the video & reading her statement, I couldn't help but think that for Jen, religion has been an addiction -- she could never be fulfilled by any new church or theology she tried. She has always been looking for the better high. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, lilith said:

Authoritarian patriarchy was always going to be a really bad fit for her.

Well, I would argue that authoritarian patriarchy is a bad fit for any woman-- any human, really-- but yeah, Jen is a born contrarian and a born martyr. It's so odd that she has these libertarian, pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps political beliefs, but she can't see how her whole life revolves around being the oppressed truth-teller, whom the powers that be are trying to silence, because only she has The Answer. She identifies strongly as a victim-- to the point of paranoia, I would say-- yet never fails to criticize/deny/mock people who actually have been the victims of racism, sexism, etc. 

• Upvote 15

@DomWackTroll, I’ve always been fascinated by the way Jen glommed onto an extremely patriarchal church, and then got restive when DPIARBT et al wouldn’t make her an honorary member of the He-Man Girl Haters’ Club. She’s always struck me as a small-time ultra religious Phyllis Schlafly clone.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Jen is also a completely selfish human being. 

Note that her "Leaving Christianity" manifesto does not apologize ONCE for the terrible shit she put her kids through. Not once. It's all about Jen and her pseudo-intellectual quest for truth. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Note that her "Leaving Christianity" manifesto does not apologize ONCE for the terrible shit she put her kids through. Not once.

Well, in her version she's the ultra dedicated homeschooling mom and the kids got to go to a LOT of churches and wasn't it wonderful?  I also had not realized she was raised with a very religious background. 

Based on her version of her intense, in-depth Bible study, I have to wonder if part of the problem at BCA is that she was better versed in the Bible than the penis holders. 

Also Jen: tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, tree, obsessively TREE, but rarely, if ever, FOREST!  Although her realization of the Bible as simply a history of a people at a point in time rather than a sacred text that MUST inform and guide her life would be a forest moment.  Whichever it is,  there seems to be an obsessive element that runs through all of this. 

Which reminds me, Michael Pearl went to seminary and studied hard to understand how different languages and translations shaped the various versions of the Bible, so he got part of the way there.   But then, instead of continuing on, he just said "F**k it, infallible King James Version only, Baby" and never looked back. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Time to check in on the VF FB page again. 

Quelle surprise! :shocked: They are dumping on Kamala Harris.

Meanwhile, they still can't spell:367106908_Tangerinedreamsmarmaladeskies.thumb.jpg.2245451a0082e88767c3e8ee7da41205.jpg

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Note to Doug and VF et al., in the current political climate,  referencing anything as orange or tangerine can backfire bigly with a good possibility of being ratio'd and dragged hard on social media. 

Interesting that Doug gadded about, was enchanted by partially dressed, definitely emancipated women, but his noxious political beliefs, reflecting his ugly patriarchal/misogynistic underpinnings, have not budged.  Despising Democratic women is certainly indicative of that. 

And the air of pretentious pseudo-intellectualism. Noxious as ever. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

How to do social media like Beall Phillips:

(1) Exhort everyone to be kind while on IG

(2) Continue shit-posting racist & misogynist garbage on the VF FB page with "husband" Doug Phillips:

Beall Phillips says be kind.jpg

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Disgust 4

I just went to the VF facebook page.

Scenarios that would allow Hillary to ultimately become president are discussed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

“Sound crazy? Remember 2016.”

WTF happened in 2016, other than a craven narcissistic draft-dodging con man becoming president? Hillary got the nomination based on votes at the convention. The “controversy” was from people fighting the rules that had been in place for years. They didn’t like the outcome, so they wanted to change the rules to get a different outcome.

And FFS the woman hasn’t been anywhere or campaigning. She’s retired. Hillary is a handy scapegoat, that’s all. She’s not interested in the crap work required to put this country back together, after so many voters decided she was their own personal Satan.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

BENGHAAAAAAAAAAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where Doug is and what he's up to has turned into an enduring mystery.  The guy has a law degree but I'm not sure if he's licensed to practice in any state. 

I noticed an HSLDA link on the VF facebook page.  Would he attempt to suck up to them again? Is he trying to get a paid position in alt-reich-wing politics? Will he show up spruiking manliness pills on InfoWars? 

Beall's still living in an apartment and doing home care for the elderly, as far as I can tell, so doesn't seem like much change in economic status. 

Is Daughter #? back at Spanky U (Reformation Bible College)?  

I just checked the Spanky U web site and apparently they are the one place in the world where one need not be concerned about corona virus, because they just don't mention it anywhere on their web site. They aren't scheduling campus tours right now, but don't mention why.  Today was the first day of (presumably) in-person classes.   reformationbiblecollege.org/

I bet the Phillips' son with a Spanky wife + grad degree will end up teaching there one day. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Beall’s IG post. You guys it’s super important to not get wrapped up in atrocities, leave them outside.
I mean.
Because everybody can do that, right? Just.... leave it outside. Don’t get so caught up in little things like systemic racism, voter disenfranchisement, the country teetering on the brink of disaster, a pandemic.....
Leave it outside, says Beall.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5

Notice how the cashier in Beall's little Instagram story is upset not because he makes a shitty twelve bucks an hour, has no health insurance during a pandemic, and may be forced to die for his uncaring corporate overlords, but because muh facial liberty!

Right. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Notice how the cashier in Beall's little Instagram story is upset not because he makes a shitty twelve bucks an hour, has no health insurance during a pandemic, and may be forced to die for his uncaring corporate overlords, but because muh facial liberty!

Right. 

Because it's all about the masks! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic