IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

What's "kulture" supposed to mean?  I tried looking it up but only got "kultur"

Definition of kultur

1: CULTURE sense 1

2: culture emphasizing practical efficiency and individual subordination to the state

3: German culture held to be superior especially by militant Nazi and Hohenzollern expansionists

Edited by CyborgKin
missed a etter
  • Upvote 1

I had to Google it :oooh:

Kustom Kulture is a neologism used to describe the artworks, vehicles, hairstyles, and fashions of those who drove and built custom cars and motorcycles in the United States of America from the 1950s through today. It was born out of the hot rod culture of Southern California of the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kustom_Kulture

Cheater slicks

Since completely slick tyres are outlawed on most roads due to their inability to handle wet pavement, the "cheater slick" became a popular item in the hot rod world in the 1960s; a typical slick type tyre, but engraved with the absolute minimum amount of tread grooves required to satisfy legal requirements. Since then, however, tyre development has progressed greatly, so that today's hot rod street cars typically use wide, grooved tyres which perform better than the slicks of the past; while the cheater slicks available today, both for nostalgic appearance of street cars and for competition use in classes where DOT approved street tyres are required, have followed their own line of development, diverging from true slick tyre construction to become a distinct tyre design in themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_slick#Cheater_slicks

Edited by AnnaSofia
Formatting
  • Thank You 5

Natasha E. got married (to a woman), and Jen F. had the couple over for Thanksgiving dinner (along with son Joshua). Interesting comments, and you can click through to Natasha's FB page to see pics of her and her wife.

• Thank You 6
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Natasha E. got married (to a woman), and Jen F. had the couple over for Thanksgiving dinner (along with son Joshua). Interesting comments, and you can click through to Natasha's FB page to see pics of her and her wife.

All best wishes to the newlyweds -- with this relationship and her growing career in cosmetology, I hope that all continues to go well for Natasha. She deserves some good times. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 11/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, neuroticcat said:

Clicked over to his Instagram page. Interesting that he’s followed by Jinger Duggar. Didn’t think ATI and VF ran in the same circles...

Many many many of them mixed in both worlds. Overlap in the obsessive cult mentality that man is in charge, woman shut up and sit still and behave while man does whatever he wants and kids are to do as they’re told without thinking 

On 11/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, AnnaSofia said:

I've always suspected that an inheritance from RC Sr. funded Josh & Delaney's year in Scotland. That all seemed to come about at just the right time for the estate to have been settled (which usually takes a bit, even if things are uncontested).

Settling into Tennessee for awhile makes sense. They both have family there, not to mention the general overrun of fundies in the area.

I’ll simply say that I have heard from a horse’s mouth that everyone connected by blood to the Sproul Family Line has gobs of money. They’re very smart in how they do it. But multiple houses and cars and and the ability to not work (Ever) is an option for any and all of them. While the various entities’ staff is not poorly paid, they all live on that “ministry” work mentality / near slavery mindset that “it’s for God” so we just over work ourselves, while the family gets AND stays wealthy on the proceeds. Just saying. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 3

6 hours ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

But multiple houses and cars and and the ability to not work (Ever) is an option for any and all of them.

This is not surprising. Ligonier Ministries owns some very, very nice FL real estate and its last available (2017) IRS 990 indicates that the "ministry" brought in over $22 million that year.

The now-abandoned blog Ministry Watchman had a number of entries alleging various financial shenanigans by RC Sproul, Sr., and his staff. Cannot speak to the accuracy of all the matters discussed there, but a look at their 2017 IRS 990 shows that Ligonier is fairly profitable for a family business.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 4

Well we definitely know why First Lady Lisa got her hooks into Spanky. It sure wasn't his personality.  And just days after the wedding, all down the tubes. It would be hilarious if there weren't minor children involved in the whole mess.

For that matter, I think the finances involved had a helluva lot to do with JT's choice of spouse. I do think there's actual love there (unlike Lisa & the Spanx), but I'm sure the Ligonier coffers looked awfully tempting in wake of VF's implosion. And to be honest, what else do you do with yourself when your whole like has been heir-to-the-throne training? Of all the Phillips offspring, he's probably the least suited to life outside the fundie bubble. He's got it made now, as long as he doesn't start wracking up DUIs and secret Ashley Madison accounts.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

This is not surprising. Ligonier Ministries owns some very, very nice FL real estate and its last available (2017) IRS 990 indicates that the "ministry" brought in over $22 million that year.

$22 million?????????????

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

I’ll simply say that I have heard from a horse’s mouth that everyone connected by blood to the Sproul Family Line has gobs of money. T

All the more shocking and delicious that Jr. has been cut off entirely.  I wonder if his ode to RC book was meant to rectify that situation? 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Petronella said:

$22 million?????????????

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised to see their 2018 IRS 990 showing even more in "contributions and grants" since Sproul Sr died near the end of 2017 & that sad event probably triggered additional "gifts" in his memory.

And whoever said that godly preachers need to be poor? Only a sucker believes that!

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

And whoever said that godly preachers need to be poor? Only a sucker believes that!

Foxes had holes and birds had nests but Jesus of Nazareth was homelesss. Yup. 

Question about Spankster’s minor children still at home, Maili (?), the two boys whose names I’m not sure I know. Are they also heirs to Senior’s gazillions?  How have the lawyers fixed it so Spanks & The First Lady can’t get their claws into those funds?  

More Q’s: any thoughts that Beall (and Doug) are hoping to pair Virginia off with one if the Sproul sons in 4 or 5 years?

Does Beall love her DIL Darby as an Ace-in-the-hole financially? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Question about Spankster’s minor children still at home, Maili (?), the two boys whose names I’m not sure I know. Are they also heirs to Senior’s gazillions?  How have the lawyers fixed it so Spanks & The First Lady can’t get their claws into those funds? 

IANAL, but it would be quite possible to ensure that the designated beneficiaries of Sproul Sr's will, even his minor grandchildren, could receive any bequests unimpeded. It might be that such bequests would have to be administered solely through an executor or trustee of Sproul Sr.'s estate. Or, the children may have to wait until they're 18 or 21 or 25 or whatever age is stipulated to receive the bequests; then neither Spanky nor The First Lady would have any say.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

On 11/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, AnnaSofia said:

I had to Google it

Thanks for digging deep enough to find that out.  It makes sense now, I think.

@FundieGhostWriter

correction on my part: the "summarise in more detail" line from a Creation Super Camp talk was actually John Baumgardner.  The catastrophic plate tectonics / runaway subduction guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

There are faint signs of life on the Vision Forum Facebook page! A Fox News link WRT the Trump impeachment hearings, AND,

DID YOU SEE IT? - Ten years ago this week Directors/Producers Douglas Phillips and The Erwin Brothers premiered their film The Mysterious Islands in Tampa, Florida. The film took viewers to the Galapagos Islands for the 200th anniversary of Darwin to investigate his claims.

Stop teasing us, Dougie - we need fresh pictures of your European romps!

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 9.26.16 AM.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

The film took viewers to the Galapagos Islands for the 200th anniversary of Darwin to investigate his claims.

Could it....could it be?  They disprove evolution?  Conclusively?  Once and for all time? 

And, uh, what's surprising about the journey?  How utterly manly it is, manlier, much more manly, than Darwin himself? 

So your ever helpful FJ editor at large will help.  The journey is not surprising, like, "Whoa! I'm so surprised VF went to the Galapagos! What the heck? Amaze-balls!"

I think they are trying to convey the surprising results of their God-endowed manliness that ultimately disproves evolution.

So, simply: The Mysterious Islands: A Journey to Darwin's Eden

(New findings disprove Darwin's conclusions because GOD)

Edited by Howl
  • Haha 12

7 minutes ago, Howl said:

Could it....could it be?  They disprove evolution?  Conclusively?  Once and for all time? 

Well, if they didn't, it wasn't for lack of spending other people's money to do so!

Once a scammer, always a scammer --we've always been onto you, Dougie.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Well, if they didn't, it wasn't for lack of spending other people's money to do so!

Once a scammer, always a scammer --we've always been onto you, Dougie.

Shades of Raising the Allosaur, amiright?

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

There are faint signs of life on the Vision Forum Facebook page! A Fox News link WRT the Trump impeachment hearings, AND,

Stop teasing us, Dougie - we need fresh pictures of your European romps!

Weren't we promised an Oscar Wilde special? Did I imagine that?   

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

Weren't we promised an Oscar Wilde special? 

Yes, and I was really wanting to see what Doug's "interesting" angle on Mr. Wilde's private life would be-- though he might have just ignored it altogether so as not to put off his liberal new friends. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

They should not be allowed to share space with such magnificent beasts as Galapagos tortoises.

That whole thought makes me ill.

• Upvote 7

According to the Amazon DVD page for the movie:

https://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Islands-Doug-Phillips/dp/B002UL8Z22

The editorial reviews:

While there are several secular and Christian films about Charles Darwin and the Galapagos Islands being released this year, this one really does an excellent job of showing not only the beauty and uniqueness of the remote Galapagos Islands what many have called both the birthplace of Darwinism and ''Darwin s Eden,'' but also presents great teaching in regard to the creation/evolution/Genesis issues. --Ken Ham, Founder and President of Answers in Genesis

As I viewed this video I was amazed at the beauty of the Galapagos. . . . This production contains spectacular cinematography. It is both awe inspiring and educational. But most importantly, the viewer will truly understand the flaws in Darwin's ideas, while at the same time realizing the truth of the Genesis account. . . . The incredible majesty of the Creator God is obvious! --Dr. Tommy Mitchell

A one-star customer review and comments:

kickstopped71

1.0 out of 5 starsChristian Creationist Propaganda Peddled for Profit

February 4, 2014

Format: DVD

This had nothing to do with science and everything to do with the self righteous dogma of a few tourists and their film equipment.

It's only value is providing a humorous and disturbing look at what christian creationists believe despite direct and conclusive evidence otherwise. The film attempts to derail the hard work of our scientists, biologists, geologists, archeologists, physicists and engineers over the past 175 years or so since Charles Darwin illuminated the truth about where we came from.

Religion is the enemy of reason and the filmmakers should make it clear on the cover of the DVD that they have a mythological and misleading agenda to push. It is dangerous to mix perhaps useful fictional narratives with the appearance of a factual documentary
just as it is dangerous to mix 21st century weapons with fifth century fanatical religious beliefs.

It reminds me of what FOX news does on a daily basis.

Thumbs DOWN!

First comment:

A. Freas4 years ago

I am a Creationist and I agree that is was just a "self righteous dogma of a few tourists and their film equipment". I much prefer Icons of Evolution and The Privileged Planet when it comes to science on the Creation side of the debate. I also love the Creatures that Defy Evolution series. But, this was just a glorified trip for Doug Phillips. It really bothered me.

Second comment:

albabe5 years ago

Just FYI:

The Erwin Brothers are affiliated with worshiphousemedia. They're favorites of beliefnet and billygraham. They are the so-called Christian Anti-Abortion Directors of "October Baby," Which, according to their own press and TheBlaze: "Captures Abortion Survival Story." Whatever that might mean.

Anyway, yes indeed its purpose is to disprove evolution.

From a CBN article:

The Mysterious Islands documents Phillips as he leads a team of Christian scientists and investigators to the Galapagos Islands to engage with the amazing creatures Darwin chronicled during his storied trip to this island chain in 1835.

Seen through the eyes of 16-year-old Joshua Phillips, who joins his father and noted researchers like Dr. John Morris, The Mysterious Islands is the story of one boy’s search for answers to a great controversy of the modern world. The fast-paced adventure combines cinematically breathtaking footage with high adventure in its quest to determine whether the Galapagos Islands are a laboratory for evolution, as Darwinists claim, or a showcase for the biblical account of creation.

[snip]

“The release of The Mysterious Islands, and its screening in theaters presents a fresh response to Darwin fever by taking viewers on a thrilling adventure to the Galapagos Islands—ground zero in the war of the worldviews between evolutionism and Christianity,” Phillips stated. “Rather than praising the founder of the modern evolutionary worldview, we demonstrate that he was part of a multi-generational legacy of bad science, anti-Christian sentiment, and cultural bigotry that began with his grandfather Erasmus Darwin and continued up through the work of the virulent racist Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood.”

In The Mysterious Islands, Phillips and his crew join Captain Robert Fitzroy of the HMS Beagle in opposing Darwin. Captain Fitzroy walked where Darwin walked during their famous journey together. Like Darwin, he acted as a lay-naturalist, collecting the flora and fauna of the Galapagos. “Even though Fitzroy witnessed the exact same things as Darwin, he reached vastly different conclusions. And so do we,” Phillips remarked.

Oh, oh! We can watch!

• Thank You 6

18 hours ago, Petronella said:

Christian Creationist Propaganda Peddled for Profit

Did they get John Shrader to title this review?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Confirming, per JT's IG story today, that he's graduating in absentia from St. Andrews.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 10.03.40 AM.png

• Thank You 9
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic