IGNORED

Jed Is Running for State House and Now He's Engaged

HandHoldingHeathen

7 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Hmmm interesting perspective. I’ve never seen that side of her. Can I ask (politely, not in a challenging you type of way!) what you find to be dangerous about her ?

Sure - I welcome civil discussions about politics, and I do have an open mind in case I'm reading her wrong.

I think, like Trump, she lies when it's not necessary to pander to her audience.  One example is early on when she was on a radio show being interviewed she had talked about smoking pot in college.  I have no problem with smoking pot, but she talked about getting high and listening to Snoop and Tupac.  What she said she listened to weren't recorded yet when she was in college.  She was playing to the audience with no regard for the truth. 

Also, she spent a lot of time as California AG putting people behind bars for marijuana, a large percentage of whom were people of color, but  her breaking the law by getting high was a funny story.  It struck me as hypocritical.

As AG she pushed for measures to jail parents of truant children.  Also affecting people of color disproportionately.  I am not pro-truancy, but jailing and fining parents who clearly have kids who are struggling isn't helpful.  When questioned she said it was a threat and likely few would see jail time.  It seemed to me pandering to the tough on crime crowd with no regard for the kids and families this would affect.

The biggest one for me was the debate where she countered Biden's record on busing with "I was that little girl."  She was the child of two professionals in a good school, in a good area.  She was also not the first to integrate that school.  She got the sound byte she wanted, but lied to do so.

The points she made about him working with segregationists were fair, and should have been made.  But when Joe Biden was voting on busing it was a wildly different situation than what she was describing with her fictional account of her own childhood.  Poor kids, both white and black, were bused to distant neighborhoods in the 70's to integrate the schools.  An excellent goal to be sure, but kids were put on buses in many cases for over an hour to get to their new schools where they were often met with violence from other students and racist parents.  In Boston racist white parents were meeting the buses busing in black students and throwing rocks, holding signs and shouting "N*****s go home", etc.  

The graduation rate for both races dropped, the way it was done was a failure in many instances because care wasn't taken to make sure the kids would be safe and get a proper education.  That's what Joe Biden was weighing when he voted against busing and she absolutely knew the history.  When he said it should be left to the states she criticized him for being for states rights when it comes to civil rights, but when pressed she herself said she wasn't in favor of federal law forcing busing.

She lied to raise her game and in doing so misled the country.

She is a beautiful woman who has a wonderful way of speaking and attacking her opponents in a way that's both passionate and composed.  She is very, very smart.  And from what I saw she sacrificed the truth to her end of being president.  Trump also has no respect for the truth, but his lies are obvious because he's a buffoon.  She's not.  If her personal agenda conflicted with what was best for the country I worry about how skillfully she'd be able to hide that, as opposed to him.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 12

On 2/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

What would be wrong with having all the primaries on one day> Or even two days? Then we wouldn't need the fuss of an Iowa or a New Hampshire.

The current system is awful, but I don't think this would give candidates enough time to get their message out and respond to voters. Maybe if we changed to a one day nationwide ranked choice primary in conjunction with a limited campaign season? What I think reaaaaaly needs to happen is a series of debates run by a nonpartisan, non corporate entity. And that group should schedule the candidates travel, or put the debates in places where they normally don't go.

There should be limits on campaign spending, and no one should be able to buy an election. 

Or, you know, we could just have every state nominate someone and they can fight it out battle royale style. ?

• Upvote 10

@Born Skeptic, I did know that Beto was not a POC.  I was merely listing some candidates I wish had not dropped out. 

And, @ModestisHottest, I knew that Andrew Yang WAS a POC. (His parents are from Taiwan.)  He just had not dropped out when I wrote my post.  Deval Patrick, who is black, has also dropped out.  

Btw, universal basic income (one of Yang's ideas) is an idea that the McGovern campaign floated in '72.  

@cindyluvs24,  there may have been some Bernie supporters that did not vote in 2016, but Hillary had almost 3 million votes than His Orange Corruption. .  No, she did not win the electoral vote, but yep, she won the popular vote.  We need to get rid of the damn electoral college and fight voter suppression, including gerrymandering, the purpose of which is to dilute the power of the black vote.

@HerNameIsBuffy, thanks for your explanation about Kamala.  

@Maggie Mae,  you got it right about the primaries, debates and campaign spending.  (I unsubbed from Tom Steyer's email list telling him that we don't need another goddamn billionaire in the WH. )  And you are also right about a limited campaign season.  It lasts far too long.   

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 11

Jed seems to have lost his charity challenge and went fully clothed into not frozen water ( not sure where the polar bit came in). There’s no mention of how much was raised or what it would do beyond helping ‘special needs children’ (sic). I suppose the lack of transparency is good training for when he gets into office.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

Read that Jed raised $100 and his opponent raise $1750. The opponent also participated in the plunge. No mention of what happened to the money. Goodness, if all Jed's family had contributed a bit, he could have won. None of them must have donated. Seems like the $100 may have been from Pops or maybe Jed himself.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 2

He probably thought he would win by the virtue of being a Duggar. That if it was something he really would have to work for it wasn't worth it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

On 2/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What she said she listened to weren't recorded yet when she was in college.  She was playing to the audience with no regard for the truth. 

To be fair, most people's memories are pretty bad and this would be an easy one to make. I guess you could argue she was trying to appeal to slightly younger voters than her who grew up with Tupac and Snoop but you can't really tell if this was by design or just an innocent mistake.

(For example, she smoked pot in her 30s while listening to Snoop and got the different occasions mixed up.)

On 2/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The biggest one for me was the debate where she countered Biden's record on busing with "I was that little girl." 

I don't know if she had to be the FIRST to integrate for this statement to be true (or true enough). Even if you were a person of colour coming into a school say, 10 years after segregation, it was probably still pretty difficult in a lot of places.

I am a lazy Canadian so I will take your word for it that Biden's bus policies are as you said. She may be unaware of that, or perhaps is misrepresenting it, which is not a good look. Honestly, though, its pretty common for politicians of all stripes. Even Obama massaged the truth once in a while.

I think your points about her hard-line stance on (and hypocrisy about) marijuana possession, etc. are really valid and interesting. Harris has apparently apologized but hasn't exactly laid out any plans to make amends, as far as I've seen?  Arguably, she broke up a lot of families (even if for the short term) by sending people to jail for (relatively minor) crimes. This has intergenerational impacts. What's she doing about it?

I usually like Vox articles; this one lays out that yes, Harris was taking a hard stand on drug possession, when that was a popular view on both left and right. I'm not really familiar with the history of this, but it does seem that a lot of people across the aisles sincerely bought the "broken windows" theory.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/1/23/18184192/kamala-harris-president-campaign-criminal-justice-record

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

To be fair, most people's memories are pretty bad and this would be an easy one to make. I guess you could argue she was trying to appeal to slightly younger voters than her who grew up with Tupac and Snoop but you can't really tell if this was by design or just an innocent mistake.

(For example, she smoked pot in her 30s while listening to Snoop and got the different occasions mixed up.)

I don't know if she had to be the FIRST to integrate for this statement to be true (or true enough). Even if you were a person of colour coming into a school say, 10 years after segregation, it was probably still pretty difficult in a lot of places.

I am a lazy Canadian so I will take your word for it that Biden's bus policies are as you said. She may be unaware of that, or perhaps is misrepresenting it, which is not a good look. Honestly, though, its pretty common for politicians of all stripes. Even Obama massaged the truth once in a while.

I think your points about her hard-line stance on (and hypocrisy about) marijuana possession, etc. are really valid and interesting. Harris has apparently apologized but hasn't exactly laid out any plans to make amends, as far as I've seen?  Arguably, she broke up a lot of families (even if for the short term) by sending people to jail for (relatively minor) crimes. This has intergenerational impacts. What's she doing about it?

I usually like Vox articles; this one lays out that yes, Harris was taking a hard stand on drug possession, when that was a popular view on both left and right. I'm not really familiar with the history of this, but it does seem that a lot of people across the aisles sincerely bought the "broken windows" theory.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/1/23/18184192/kamala-harris-president-campaign-criminal-justice-record

For those interested there is an excellent podcast about Boston Busing - the same was happening in other areas as well.  (Comedians do the podcast, but it's about history and very fact based.)

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcast/the-dollop/228---boston-busing-1974-1

I know all politicians will lie, just like I believe anyone running for president has to have more narcissistic traits than I'd want in a friend, but it was her constructing a pre-planned narrative which was intended to deceive which crossed a line for me.  She had the picture ready to tweet and "that little girl was me" t-shirts for sale.  

That said, I don't believe she shares Trumps wild disregard for the rule of law, nor do I think she would be enamored with foregin dictators.

• Upvote 3

On 2/7/2020 at 8:51 PM, BernRul said:

If it makes you feel better, the USA was never cohesive from it's founding. There's never been any hegemony. George Washington once said (to paraphrase a quote from Ron Chernow's book), "If ever a time comes that the North and South come to blows over the issue of slavery, than I side with the north." So even in the end of the 18th century, at the very beginning of the country, some people could already see the issue of slavery and differences would tear the country apart.

The early battles between the Federalists and Democratic Republicans was just as nasty and decisive as politics today.

In the 1820s election where John Quincy Adams beat Andrew Jackson, Jackson's supporters threatened to riot, believing the election was stolen and the system was rigged. 

The South threatened to leave the Union throughout the entire first half of the 19th century. Any time slavery was brought up between 1820-1860, the South made noise about seceding. That's one of the reasons why Northern politicians compromised so much.

Senators used to literally beat each other on the senate floor, like what happened to poor Charles Sumner. People called for the death of abolitionist senators. 

America has always been like this. This mess is nothing new. It has always been a country at war with itself, that somehow hasn't collapsed (yet). 

I'm not sure what you mean by "hegemony", but I meant its dominant influence on the world stage since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the rise of China as an economic power. I'm not sure there is such a thing as internal hegemony.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

her constructing a pre-planned narrative which was intended to deceive which crossed a line for me.  She had the picture ready to tweet and "that little girl was me" t-shirts for sale.  

I wouldn't be surprised if one of her campaign/marketing team told her to do this and/or it just came out in the debate and her team immediately thought it was a good line and rushed to find a picture. Seems to be the way of things these days.

What I find interesting about all this money and time spent on campaigning - there's no guarantee it'll work! She had a spike in popularity after her spar with Biden and then dropped pretty low and quit the race.

To me, she seems "normal narcissistic" not "Trump-level narcissistic/dangerous". But I guess we'll never know!

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

To me, she seems "normal narcissistic" not "Trump-level narcissistic/dangerous". But I guess we'll never know!

I agree that it's unlikely she could rise to his levels of narcissism.  Fortunately, few people can.

• Upvote 5

On 1/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, Idlewild said:

Is he paying his brother to be his campaign manager or us that covered by Duggars Inc? 
I’ve been watching reruns of The West Wing. I don’t see any Josh Lymans in the Duggar family! 

But Josh was a lobbyist at the federal level! And JB served in the legislature!

• Haha 5

On 2/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, Knight of Ni said:

He probably thought he would win by the virtue of being a Duggar. That if it was something he really would have to work for it wasn't worth it.

They all think they can/should have everything by virtue of being a Duggar. And what is that "work" of which you speak?

• Upvote 7

36 minutes ago, patsymae said:

But Josh was a lobbyist at the federal level! And JB served in the legislature!

Mentioning Josh the Turd in the same post as my beloved West Wing Josh......

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 9:56 AM, Not that josh's mom said:

Read that Jed raised $100 and his opponent raise $1750. The opponent also participated in the plunge. No mention of what happened to the money. Goodness, if all Jed's family had contributed a bit, he could have won. None of them must have donated. Seems like the $100 may have been from Pops or maybe Jed himself.

The polar plunge is a fundraiser for Special Olympics. It is a nation wide thing. 

I got a letter from Jed's opponent today thanking me for my support from CA. I forgot I donated to her campaign ?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 12

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

I got a letter from Jed's opponent today thanking me for my support from CA. I forgot I donated to her campaign ?

There aren't many times I really want to call attention to FJ/touch the poop/whatever.

I'd love to tell this woman that she's got the support of (approximately 95%) of an internet forum behind her and what we are about. In a respectable way.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

There aren't many times I really want to call attention to FJ/touch the poop/whatever.

I'd love to tell this woman that she's got the support of (approximately 95%) of an internet forum behind her and what we are about. In a respectable way.

There is nothing wrong with contacting her as an individual, just as I don't think there is anything wrong contacting their sponsors … sharing the reason you do/don't support what they are doing in regards to those with hateful beliefs...as long as you're speaking for yourself and not on behalf of FJ.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Megan Godfrey for President! She really seems like she has it together. It’s so unfortunate that in a red state, she would probably never win in a race for governor or U.S. Congress.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

There is nothing wrong with contacting her as an individual, just as I don't think there is anything wrong contacting their sponsors … sharing the reason you do/don't support what they are doing in regards to those with hateful beliefs...as long as you're speaking for yourself and not on behalf of FJ.

Well yeah, I know. But that missed the point. This is one of those few times where I would sort of want to tell someone about the forum. Out of pride, mostly. I'd speak for me, but it would lead to wanting to share the platform wherein I learned of her opponents nonsense.

That's really all.

Not speaking for everyone, as much as sharing us.

But I won't. It's just a fleeting thought.

• Upvote 5

• 2 months later...

While the Seewalds, Vuolos, Anna and Jill were trying to do a spin on BLM ( mainly trying to twist it so as not to offend their followers or conflict with their Trump love in the case of Anna) , Jed retweeted this. I think we know ( if there was ever any doubt) what kind of politician he’d be.

Spoiler

EC8422FB-83E4-4BEF-BC25-1295F9B0F1B8.thumb.png.7a7a0cdbb6f57370529ba9e8df6958fc.png

Edited by Idlewild
Typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Angry 6
  • Disgust 6
  • Sad 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 1

Of course he retweeted Tom Cotton ?

Ten bucks says Jed has zero understanding of the legal and historical implications of this fuckwad’s statement.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5

10 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Of course he retweeted Tom Cotton ?

Ten bucks says Jed has zero understanding of the legal and historical implications of this fuckwad’s statement.

?‍♀️?‍♀️ I’m ignorant over here. I don’t know the legal and historical implications. Can you please explain it to me. Please don’t jump on me. If it helps I’m not American.
I had to google Antifa (never heard of that before) and double check my understanding of fascism. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

?‍♀️?‍♀️ I’m ignorant over here. I don’t know the legal and historical implications. Can you please explain it to me. Please don’t jump on me. If it helps I’m not American.
I had to google Antifa (never heard of that before) and double check my understanding of fascism. 

Of course. 

1) Domestic use of active duty military for law enforcement in the U.S. is prohibited under almost all circumstances.  Cotton’s mention of seeing 101 ABN, an active duty unit, on the streets is a nod to Trump’s threat to invoke the Insurrection Act, which was only meant to be invoked in a wartime situation. Current and former military leaders have publicly spoken out against this, to include our current Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper. Tom Cotton is a veteran himself and should know better.

2) Trump wants to to declare Antifa a ‘terrorist organization’, which is illegal since it is a domestic movement. It is not even a formal organization. Even though Antifa does condone the use of violence, it hasn’t killed anyone. If he does declare it a ‘terrorist organization’, it will not survive a legal challenge. It’s simply Trump using fear and anger to rally his base against ‘the left’.

Side note, Tom Cotton is gunning for the SecDef job and will probably get it if Trump wins a second term since he’s a Trump loyalist. Trump is not happy with Esper, but I think his job is safe (for now).

I’m sure Jed doesn’t understand any of this, including Cotton’s self-interest in the matter.  Yet this man-child wants to be a voice for the people.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 21

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jed Is Running for State House and Now He's Engaged
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic