Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HandHoldingHeathen

Jed is running for State House

Recommended Posts

Eponine
6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I see both sides of this argument, while I would be ecstatic with liberal laws like they have in CA, their are millions more who wouldn't. Doesn't mean that my vote should be worth 100x more than that of someone in CA, which is essentially what the EC does, it makes votes in small states worth exponentially more than that of those in large states. 

This is the thing, though - counting each vote independently instead of going through the EC means that EVERYONE counts. So the Republicans in NY, CA, etc would count way more than they do now. And Democrats in red states would count. Then everyone gets a voice and they don't get tied to their state. It doesn't necessarily mean everywhere is going to end up liberal, it would mean that everyone counts equally.

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satisfied
scoutsadie
On 12/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Actually the christmas decorations didn't bother me. Because It could also be that, their whole family was gone for christmas, it was extremely stressful, so maybe they wanted to enjoy them a while longer then other people would have because they didn't get to during the season. I know my dad is doing this this year because he and my mom are splitting up and this year my mom, sister, and I are going to be visiting my mom's family during christmas, and my sister and I won't see my dad until after. 

Oh P-n-B, that sounds tough for your family. I'm sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild

In his birthday greeting Jed says his twin is his campaign manager. Have they run campaigns for other people? They both seem so very young. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadMurphy

Remember when Jed almost ruined all Joy’s wedding flowers because he drove past the exit with a much needed gas station? He’s such a capable young man, you can really depend on him!

Edited by BadMurphy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patsymae

There's really a couple of issues here.

One is the electoral college, which I agree has outlived whatever usefulness it has. It does very, very much distort the will of the people.

Another is representation. I'm actually fine with the House being apportioned by population but every state, even the ones with very few people, having two senators. If things worked the way they are supposed to, that would balance out nicely.

But the key here is things working the way they are supposed to, which they are not because of gerrymandering--state districts as well as federal ones (and the state ones are turning out to be a serious problem) and disenfranchisement. It's always been around, but this is the last great effort of the white dinosaurs (and I'm an old white person) to hang on to their privilege for deal life. And convince the young white impoverished that this is their last great hope to become privileged old white dinosaurs one day.
The primary system is flawed, the news coverage (and I am a career journalist so this hurts to say) feeds into it, the system is rigged both by gerrymandering and by disenfranchising areas likely to vote for Democrats.
But really, at the heart of it, IMO, is just a very, very sick society that doesn't want to even be a society, just a collection of individuals and "communities" (not geographic, but the X community and the Y community) with agendas. And when those individual interests are not balanced with any idea that self-interest is supposed to be "Enlightened" self-interest (no man is an island, etc.) we're basically just fucked.
I knew in the '80s that the US would lose its hegemony and much of its tenuous cohesion, but I thought It was going to happen more slowly--like the decline of the British Empire. Did not see this coming and not sure there is a remedy.

  • Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for everything else that's been tried. Winston Churchill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patsymae
30 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for everything else that's been tried. Winston Churchill

And yet UK and USA are working hard right now to destroy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satisfied
scoutsadie
On 12/30/2019 at 7:22 PM, patsymae said:

There's really a couple of issues here.

One is the electoral college, which I agree has outlived whatever usefulness it has. It does very, very much distort the will of the people.

Another is representation. I'm actually fine with the House being apportioned by population but every state, even the ones with very few people, having two senators. If things worked the way they are supposed to, that would balance out nicely.

But the key here is things working the way they are supposed to, which they are not because of gerrymandering--state districts as well as federal ones (and the state ones are turning out to be a serious problem) and disenfranchisement. It's always been around, but this is the last great effort of the white dinosaurs (and I'm an old white person) to hang on to their privilege for deal life. And convince the young white impoverished that this is their last great hope to become privileged old white dinosaurs one day.
The primary system is flawed, the news coverage (and I am a career journalist so this hurts to say) feeds into it, the system is rigged both by gerrymandering and by disenfranchising areas likely to vote for Democrats.
But really, at the heart of it, IMO, is just a very, very sick society that doesn't want to even be a society, just a collection of individuals and "communities" (not geographic, but the X community and the Y community) with agendas. And when those individual interests are not balanced with any idea that self-interest is supposed to be "Enlightened" self-interest (no man is an island, etc.) we're basically just fucked.
I knew in the '80s that the US would lose its hegemony and much of its tenuous cohesion, but I thought It was going to happen more slowly--like the decline of the British Empire. Did not see this coming and not sure there is a remedy.

Sadly, I think you are spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild

On Twitter Jed is thanking local businesses for their support. Support for what? Has he established any actual policies that he could influence and achieve? We know he’s pro life, pro guns & against taxes - but what is he proposing to do if elected?

it will be interesting to see if he attacks his opponent or just relies on his pro Trump stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore

@Idlewild,  I think he's just thanking them for donations to his campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild
29 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Idlewild,  I think he's just thanking them for donations to his campaign.

Ah thank you. Carrying on the family tradition- grifting! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GuineaPigCourtship
5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Carrying on the family tradition- grifting!

No wonder all the fundies want to go into politics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
socalrules

Don’t candidate’s have to regularly report how much they have received in campaign funds? I would love to know much he has received people not named Duggar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tired
purple_summer
8 hours ago, socalrules said:

Don’t candidate’s have to regularly report how much they have received in campaign funds? I would love to know much he has received people not named Duggar.

I don’t think you can go to the state race level, but you can find that info here https://www.opensecrets.org/states/cands.php?cycle=2020&state=AR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Born Skeptic
Posted (edited)

delete

Edited by Born Skeptic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xan
11 hours ago, nutmeg said:

From Arkansas SecState, here's his contributions and expenditures.  Looks like the campaign's in debt.

https://financial-disclosures.sos.arkansas.gov/index.html#/exploreDetails/345316/214/177738/20780/0

He probably did an initial infusion of cash from Jim Bob so he's run out of donor money but not in the red yet.

As for expenditures -- he paid $3000 to the Republican Party of Arkansas for, I suppose, the filing fee.  He paid a Hutchinson-affiliated strategy group $1000 for political advice (not that I can see they've done anything), and he paid $1,800 to a web design firm owned by Robert Staddon.  The Staddons have been discussed on here before.  They're a fundie family and Robert is a pal of Pecan's.  Those fundies sure love to line each other's pockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idlewild

Is he paying his brother to be his campaign manager or us that covered by Duggars Inc? 
I’ve been watching reruns of The West Wing. I don’t see any Josh Lymans in the Duggar family! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.