IGNORED

Tiny Notes From Home

Pleiades_06

Has anyone ever watched Tiny Notes from Home aka Sounds Like Reign on YouTube? They are a(another) musical, van loving, small house living, homeschooling family. They have 5 children and one more on the way. I thought I read about them awhile back while lurking here but I can’t find anything. The wife, Lindsay, has a lovely voice and seems very submissive to her husband, Brackin, who has videos on how to be the man of the family. Thoughts? 

https://www.soundslikereign.com/vlog

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 4:00 AM, Pleiades_06 said:

Has anyone ever watched Tiny Notes from Home aka Sounds Like Reign on YouTube? They are a(another) musical, van loving, small house living, homeschooling family. They have 5 children and one more on the way. I thought I read about them awhile back while lurking here but I can’t find anything. The wife, Lindsay, has a lovely voice and seems very submissive to her husband, Brackin, who has videos on how to be the man of the family. Thoughts? 

https://www.soundslikereign.com/vlog

They're totally my pet fundies. I'm sure they've got some rather unpleasant opinions lurking around but they seem, at surface level, very sweet and their boys seem well looked after and happy. They kinda strike me as a bizarre crossover of fundie-ism and hippieness

You're right about Lindsay's voice too, it's rather beautiful and simple and I watch their music videos from a non snark perspective from time to time.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FrumperFan said:

They kinda strike me as a bizarre crossover of fundie-ism and hippieness

There is a movie called Paradise Recovered and in it one of the characters says something like "The place where far right fundamentalists and far left hippies meet is the health food store." There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle. 
I watched part of their head covering video and it is the typical fundie stuff. The wife had to learn to accept her place as being submissive and other patriarchal stuff.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

There is a movie called Paradise Recovered and in it one of the characters says something like "The place where far right fundamentalists and far left hippies meet is the health food store." There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle. 
I watched part of their head covering video and it is the typical fundie stuff. The wife had to learn to accept her place as being submissive and other patriarchal stuff.

They also meet in the anti-vax groups! 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle. 

Zsu Anderson is a perfect example of this

While they're obviously in the fundie umbrella, they kinda strike me as super traditional and therefore fundie rather than IBPL style fundie if that makes any sense. I think their 19th century dress kinda plays in to this. 

I think it's kinda interesting that, at least from their videos, they run in circles with Anabaptists as well as some straight up Baptist fundies

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, FrumperFan said:

I think it's kinda interesting that, at least from their videos, they run in circles with Anabaptists as well as some straight up Baptist fundies

In one of their videos they say they don't really believe in a denomination but they find like minded people in various denominations. They appear to homechurch. 

The explanation as to why they dress like they do was rather vague. Women need to keep men from stumbling by covering up, but I didn't quite get why the father dresses like he does. He said they like simple clothing. 

• Upvote 7

I'm glad we're discussing them here! I found them when they made an appearance on the Smyth Homestead (Thousands of Roots) and have been following ever since. 

As is usual in fundie families, Brackin is the charismatic leader type and Lindsay admits to struggling to follow his ideas (such as living and traveling in a trailer for an entire year with 5 boys). They make very little money and I'm sure that's stressful for her. Before the trailer, they were living in a converted shed on someone's property, the boys slept in little "stalls" with dividers. They had to leave that place so they bought a bus and trailer and sang in churches for a year. Now they're fixing up someone's old house in exchange for free rent - but they don't even have a working kitchen and Linsday is 7-ish months pregnant. I feel for her...

Apart from their material issues, they are really talented musicians and Lindsay is the highlight of their music. This is my favorite hymn and I tear up hearing her sing it! Their boys are the sweetest things - smart, gentle and funny. They're obviously doing something right as parents. Overall I have a really sweet spot for them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

On 11/14/2019 at 6:45 AM, formergothardite said:

There is a movie called Paradise Recovered and in it one of the characters says something like "The place where far right fundamentalists and far left hippies meet is the health food store." There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle

For those who might be interested , I have read a book on the subject .  https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256754 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I'm glad we're discussing them here! I found them when they made an appearance on the Smyth Homestead (Thousands of Roots) and have been following ever since. 

As is usual in fundie families, Brackin is the charismatic leader type and Lindsay admits to struggling to follow his ideas (such as living and traveling in a trailer for an entire year with 5 boys). They make very little money and I'm sure that's stressful for her. Before the trailer, they were living in a converted shed on someone's property, the boys slept in little "stalls" with dividers. They had to leave that place so they bought a bus and trailer and sang in churches for a year. Now they're fixing up someone's old house in exchange for free rent - but they don't even have a working kitchen and Linsday is 7-ish months pregnant. I feel for her...

Apart from their material issues, they are really talented musicians and Lindsay is the highlight of their music. This is my favorite hymn and I tear up hearing her sing it! Their boys are the sweetest things - smart, gentle and funny. They're obviously doing something right as parents. Overall I have a really sweet spot for them. 

I’m still trying to figure these people out. I find myself very drawn in by the minimalist/all natural fundies and have to remind myself to resist...resist...because the female submission thing is horrible. The problems with people like them is they coach dangerous beliefs in what seems like all natural lifestyles. It reminds me of what the Plaths do.

Brackin posted a long time ago about having a “male mentor” to teach a man how to be a male head of household and it made me so mad-I wish I could find it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Marmion said:

For those who might be interested , I have read a book on the subject .  https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256754 

Great article. People forget Hitler ate mainly vegetarian and there is a right wing organic food movement currently thriving in Europe. Wearing Birkenstocks and using all natural whatever does not mean you support human rights. One of my best friends spent years in a relationship with her abusive vegan boyfriend, who she felt was morally superior because of his organic animal free diet. Never mind he beat her in front of their daughter. 

I personally follow a mainly vegetarian diet, buy organic, like minimalism, try to control my kids tech consumption etc etc, so fundies who do the same initially draw me in. In fact I found Sounds Like Reign after googling minimalism and tiny houses. Same with Andrea Mills. It’s interesting because these are things that appeal to many leftist/hippy/cat loving types, and it’s hard not to make Lindsay or Andrea into a pet fundie. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I’m still trying to figure these people out. I find myself very drawn in by the minimalist/all natural fundies and have to remind myself to resist...resist...because the female submission thing is horrible. The problems with people like them is they coach dangerous beliefs in what seems like all natural lifestyles. It reminds me of what the Plaths do.

They do present their lifestyle in a very idyllic way. I was raised very much like this except my parents weren't fundies, just very left wing but thankfully had an appreciation for modern medicine. 

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

Her voice is so soft and gentle and she sings with a lot of emotion.

I'm not in a good place right now, but this hymn really touched my heart. Thanks for posting it, @usedbicycle.

Her voice was what got me watching their videos. I was going though a hard time a few months ago and I found this song really beautiful. Sending positive vibes your way

• Upvote 6

New video: how to be the best husband.

Short version:

1) submit to Jesus

2) surround yourself with older, godly men

3) love your wife unconditionally 

4) be confident and firm in your convictions but be gracious as well

5) don’t take yourself too seriously 

This all sounds lovely until one realizes 1) he’s installing a stove for his wife to cook on-no mention of possibly him cooking-and 2) she has a video about how good wives submit to husbands. 

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

y’all, the offgrid fundie side of youtube is fucking weird. and it’s kind of funny how they all reject most aspects of modern life but not their precious  google adsense money and virtual validation. 

there’s a channel called texas boys family and the dad is a nutjob, that man has anger issues. the mom is also super bitter and judgy, they’re a lot less charming than tiny notes from home  

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

y’all, the offgrid fundie side of youtube is fucking weird. and it’s kind of funny how they all reject most aspects of modern life but not their precious  google adsense money and virtual validation. 

there’s a channel called texas boys family and the dad is a nutjob, that man has anger issues. the mom is also super bitter and judgy, they’re a lot less charming than tiny notes from home  

Omg they're kinda scary. I swear they're the family that stopped head covering because they were worried that they were being seen as muslims

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

I went down that rabbit hole for a bit.  Crunchy fundies.  Lots of videos of the boys out working in the garden or with the animals.  And, why is is "Texas Boys"?  They have a girl too.  Maybe I didn't watch enough of the videos but does the dad do anything at all?

• Upvote 4

"Cooking on a camp stove has worked just fine!" says the person not cooking meals for a family of seven on a freaking camp stove.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

"Cooking on a camp stove has worked just fine!" says the person not cooking meals for a family of seven on a freaking camp stove.

Enraging. Also "Lindsay's love language right now is spray foam" (to fix all the cold drafts in their old mountain cabin). Is he trying to be clever? His wife is 7 months pregnant and their youngest is still a baby, they have no working kitchen and live in a drafty home with no central heat. 

Perhaps one way to be the BEST husband would be to get a job and rent a decent place for your family to live. From their recent Q&A, they have no income apart from Youtube and CD sales. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

OMG—the second I saw the still shot above, I thought, “Wait—is that Zsu?”

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2019 at 10:24 PM, Pleiades_06 said:

Great article. People forget Hitler ate mainly vegetarian and there is a right wing organic food movement currently thriving in Europe. Wearing Birkenstocks and using all natural whatever does not mean you support human rights. One of my best friends spent years in a relationship with her abusive vegan boyfriend, who she felt was morally superior because of his organic animal free diet. Never mind he beat her in front of their daughter. 

I personally follow a mainly vegetarian diet, buy organic, like minimalism, try to control my kids tech consumption etc etc, so fundies who do the same initially draw me in. In fact I found Sounds Like Reign after googling minimalism and tiny houses. Same with Andrea Mills. It’s interesting because these are things that appeal to many leftist/hippy/cat loving types, and it’s hard not to make Lindsay or Andrea into a pet fundie. 

Hitler’s interest in vegetarian was based in a wider subculture within German speaking countries that saw clean living as a way to restore a “volk” that had become degenerated through urban life and “outside influences.” There were a number of far right wing groups in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century Germanic sphere who were interested in things like vegetarianism, back to the land, nudism, backpacking, etc with a decidedly ultra nationalist slate. It wasn’t exclusive to German nationalists, as the same sort of sentiment led to the creation of the summer camp movement in the US, but Nazi Germany was the only place where these ideas were implemented on a wide scale basis. This is why there are so many newsreels of Nazi youth doing gymnastics, boxing, and the like and why the Nazi school system devoted so much time to sports to the detriment of academics. 

I remember reading a blog ages ago about a trad Catholic family who were basically Amish groupies. They tried going back to the land and doing plain dress, but it didn’t work out for them because “the simple life” is quite hard, especially if you don’t have a community for support.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

On 12/25/2019 at 1:30 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I remember reading a blog ages ago about a trad Catholic family who were basically Amish groupies. They tried going back to the land and doing plain dress, but it didn’t work out for them because “the simple life” is quite hard, especially if you don’t have a community for support.

Do you have a link for this? It sounds kinda interesting

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrumperFan said:

Do you have a link for this? It sounds kinda interesting

There’s a huge number of blogs about Catholic homesteading in the US. I believe the one I referenced earlier was by Kevin Ford, but I don’t think his blog from the 2000s is up anymore. This is the cliff notes version he wrote before and after:

https://distributistreview.com/from-teacher-to-farmer-why-i-went-back-to-the-land/

https://distributistreview.com/five-years-a-farmer/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2