Jump to content
IGNORED

Tiny Notes From Home


Pleiades_06
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone ever watched Tiny Notes from Home aka Sounds Like Reign on YouTube? They are a(another) musical, van loving, small house living, homeschooling family. They have 5 children and one more on the way. I thought I read about them awhile back while lurking here but I can’t find anything. The wife, Lindsay, has a lovely voice and seems very submissive to her husband, Brackin, who has videos on how to be the man of the family. Thoughts? 

https://www.soundslikereign.com/vlog

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 4:00 AM, Pleiades_06 said:

Has anyone ever watched Tiny Notes from Home aka Sounds Like Reign on YouTube? They are a(another) musical, van loving, small house living, homeschooling family. They have 5 children and one more on the way. I thought I read about them awhile back while lurking here but I can’t find anything. The wife, Lindsay, has a lovely voice and seems very submissive to her husband, Brackin, who has videos on how to be the man of the family. Thoughts? 

https://www.soundslikereign.com/vlog

 

They're totally my pet fundies. I'm sure they've got some rather unpleasant opinions lurking around but they seem, at surface level, very sweet and their boys seem well looked after and happy. They kinda strike me as a bizarre crossover of fundie-ism and hippieness

You're right about Lindsay's voice too, it's rather beautiful and simple and I watch their music videos from a non snark perspective from time to time.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FrumperFan said:

They kinda strike me as a bizarre crossover of fundie-ism and hippieness

There is a movie called Paradise Recovered and in it one of the characters says something like "The place where far right fundamentalists and far left hippies meet is the health food store." There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle. 
I watched part of their head covering video and it is the typical fundie stuff. The wife had to learn to accept her place as being submissive and other patriarchal stuff.

  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

There is a movie called Paradise Recovered and in it one of the characters says something like "The place where far right fundamentalists and far left hippies meet is the health food store." There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle. 
I watched part of their head covering video and it is the typical fundie stuff. The wife had to learn to accept her place as being submissive and other patriarchal stuff.

They also meet in the anti-vax groups! 

  • Upvote 16
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle. 

Zsu Anderson is a perfect example of this

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I watched part of their head covering video and it is the typical fundie stuff. The wife had to learn to accept her place as being submissive and other patriarchal stuff.

While they're obviously in the fundie umbrella, they kinda strike me as super traditional and therefore fundie rather than IBPL style fundie if that makes any sense. I think their 19th century dress kinda plays in to this. 

I think it's kinda interesting that, at least from their videos, they run in circles with Anabaptists as well as some straight up Baptist fundies

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FrumperFan said:

I think it's kinda interesting that, at least from their videos, they run in circles with Anabaptists as well as some straight up Baptist fundies

In one of their videos they say they don't really believe in a denomination but they find like minded people in various denominations. They appear to homechurch. 

The explanation as to why they dress like they do was rather vague. Women need to keep men from stumbling by covering up, but I didn't quite get why the father dresses like he does. He said they like simple clothing. 

 

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad we're discussing them here! I found them when they made an appearance on the Smyth Homestead (Thousands of Roots) and have been following ever since. 

As is usual in fundie families, Brackin is the charismatic leader type and Lindsay admits to struggling to follow his ideas (such as living and traveling in a trailer for an entire year with 5 boys). They make very little money and I'm sure that's stressful for her. Before the trailer, they were living in a converted shed on someone's property, the boys slept in little "stalls" with dividers. They had to leave that place so they bought a bus and trailer and sang in churches for a year. Now they're fixing up someone's old house in exchange for free rent - but they don't even have a working kitchen and Linsday is 7-ish months pregnant. I feel for her...

Apart from their material issues, they are really talented musicians and Lindsay is the highlight of their music. This is my favorite hymn and I tear up hearing her sing it! Their boys are the sweetest things - smart, gentle and funny. They're obviously doing something right as parents. Overall I have a really sweet spot for them. 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2019 at 6:45 AM, formergothardite said:

There is a movie called Paradise Recovered and in it one of the characters says something like "The place where far right fundamentalists and far left hippies meet is the health food store." There seems to be a lot of crossover between fundies and the hippie lifestyle

For those who might be interested , I have read a book on the subject .  https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256754 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I'm glad we're discussing them here! I found them when they made an appearance on the Smyth Homestead (Thousands of Roots) and have been following ever since. 

As is usual in fundie families, Brackin is the charismatic leader type and Lindsay admits to struggling to follow his ideas (such as living and traveling in a trailer for an entire year with 5 boys). They make very little money and I'm sure that's stressful for her. Before the trailer, they were living in a converted shed on someone's property, the boys slept in little "stalls" with dividers. They had to leave that place so they bought a bus and trailer and sang in churches for a year. Now they're fixing up someone's old house in exchange for free rent - but they don't even have a working kitchen and Linsday is 7-ish months pregnant. I feel for her...

Apart from their material issues, they are really talented musicians and Lindsay is the highlight of their music. This is my favorite hymn and I tear up hearing her sing it! Their boys are the sweetest things - smart, gentle and funny. They're obviously doing something right as parents. Overall I have a really sweet spot for them. 

 

I’m still trying to figure these people out. I find myself very drawn in by the minimalist/all natural fundies and have to remind myself to resist...resist...because the female submission thing is horrible. The problems with people like them is they coach dangerous beliefs in what seems like all natural lifestyles. It reminds me of what the Plaths do.

Brackin posted a long time ago about having a “male mentor” to teach a man how to be a male head of household and it made me so mad-I wish I could find it. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Marmion said:

For those who might be interested , I have read a book on the subject .  https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256754 

Great article. People forget Hitler ate mainly vegetarian and there is a right wing organic food movement currently thriving in Europe. Wearing Birkenstocks and using all natural whatever does not mean you support human rights. One of my best friends spent years in a relationship with her abusive vegan boyfriend, who she felt was morally superior because of his organic animal free diet. Never mind he beat her in front of their daughter. 

I personally follow a mainly vegetarian diet, buy organic, like minimalism, try to control my kids tech consumption etc etc, so fundies who do the same initially draw me in. In fact I found Sounds Like Reign after googling minimalism and tiny houses. Same with Andrea Mills. It’s interesting because these are things that appeal to many leftist/hippy/cat loving types, and it’s hard not to make Lindsay or Andrea into a pet fundie. 

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I’m still trying to figure these people out. I find myself very drawn in by the minimalist/all natural fundies and have to remind myself to resist...resist...because the female submission thing is horrible. The problems with people like them is they coach dangerous beliefs in what seems like all natural lifestyles. It reminds me of what the Plaths do.

They do present their lifestyle in a very idyllic way. I was raised very much like this except my parents weren't fundies, just very left wing but thankfully had an appreciation for modern medicine. 

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

Her voice is so soft and gentle and she sings with a lot of emotion.

I'm not in a good place right now, but this hymn really touched my heart. Thanks for posting it, @usedbicycle.

Her voice was what got me watching their videos. I was going though a hard time a few months ago and I found this song really beautiful. Sending positive vibes your way

 

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New video: how to be the best husband.

Short version:

1) submit to Jesus

2) surround yourself with older, godly men

3) love your wife unconditionally 

4) be confident and firm in your convictions but be gracious as well

5) don’t take yourself too seriously 

This all sounds lovely until one realizes 1) he’s installing a stove for his wife to cook on-no mention of possibly him cooking-and 2) she has a video about how good wives submit to husbands. 

 

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

y’all, the offgrid fundie side of youtube is fucking weird. and it’s kind of funny how they all reject most aspects of modern life but not their precious  google adsense money and virtual validation. 

there’s a channel called texas boys family and the dad is a nutjob, that man has anger issues. the mom is also super bitter and judgy, they’re a lot less charming than tiny notes from home  

  • Upvote 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

y’all, the offgrid fundie side of youtube is fucking weird. and it’s kind of funny how they all reject most aspects of modern life but not their precious  google adsense money and virtual validation. 

there’s a channel called texas boys family and the dad is a nutjob, that man has anger issues. the mom is also super bitter and judgy, they’re a lot less charming than tiny notes from home  

Omg they're kinda scary. I swear they're the family that stopped head covering because they were worried that they were being seen as muslims

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

y’all, the offgrid fundie side of youtube is fucking weird. and it’s kind of funny how they all reject most aspects of modern life but not their precious  google adsense money and virtual validation. 

there’s a channel called texas boys family and the dad is a nutjob, that man has anger issues. the mom is also super bitter and judgy, they’re a lot less charming than tiny notes from home  

I went down that rabbit hole for a bit.  Crunchy fundies.  Lots of videos of the boys out working in the garden or with the animals.  And, why is is "Texas Boys"?  They have a girl too.  Maybe I didn't watch enough of the videos but does the dad do anything at all?

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Cooking on a camp stove has worked just fine!" says the person not cooking meals for a family of seven on a freaking camp stove.

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

"Cooking on a camp stove has worked just fine!" says the person not cooking meals for a family of seven on a freaking camp stove.

Enraging. Also "Lindsay's love language right now is spray foam" (to fix all the cold drafts in their old mountain cabin). Is he trying to be clever? His wife is 7 months pregnant and their youngest is still a baby, they have no working kitchen and live in a drafty home with no central heat. 

Perhaps one way to be the BEST husband would be to get a job and rent a decent place for your family to live. From their recent Q&A, they have no income apart from Youtube and CD sales. 

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2019 at 10:24 PM, Pleiades_06 said:

Great article. People forget Hitler ate mainly vegetarian and there is a right wing organic food movement currently thriving in Europe. Wearing Birkenstocks and using all natural whatever does not mean you support human rights. One of my best friends spent years in a relationship with her abusive vegan boyfriend, who she felt was morally superior because of his organic animal free diet. Never mind he beat her in front of their daughter. 

I personally follow a mainly vegetarian diet, buy organic, like minimalism, try to control my kids tech consumption etc etc, so fundies who do the same initially draw me in. In fact I found Sounds Like Reign after googling minimalism and tiny houses. Same with Andrea Mills. It’s interesting because these are things that appeal to many leftist/hippy/cat loving types, and it’s hard not to make Lindsay or Andrea into a pet fundie. 

Hitler’s interest in vegetarian was based in a wider subculture within German speaking countries that saw clean living as a way to restore a “volk” that had become degenerated through urban life and “outside influences.” There were a number of far right wing groups in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century Germanic sphere who were interested in things like vegetarianism, back to the land, nudism, backpacking, etc with a decidedly ultra nationalist slate. It wasn’t exclusive to German nationalists, as the same sort of sentiment led to the creation of the summer camp movement in the US, but Nazi Germany was the only place where these ideas were implemented on a wide scale basis. This is why there are so many newsreels of Nazi youth doing gymnastics, boxing, and the like and why the Nazi school system devoted so much time to sports to the detriment of academics. 

I remember reading a blog ages ago about a trad Catholic family who were basically Amish groupies. They tried going back to the land and doing plain dress, but it didn’t work out for them because “the simple life” is quite hard, especially if you don’t have a community for support.

  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2019 at 1:30 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I remember reading a blog ages ago about a trad Catholic family who were basically Amish groupies. They tried going back to the land and doing plain dress, but it didn’t work out for them because “the simple life” is quite hard, especially if you don’t have a community for support.

Do you have a link for this? It sounds kinda interesting

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FrumperFan said:

Do you have a link for this? It sounds kinda interesting

There’s a huge number of blogs about Catholic homesteading in the US. I believe the one I referenced earlier was by Kevin Ford, but I don’t think his blog from the 2000s is up anymore. This is the cliff notes version he wrote before and after:

https://distributistreview.com/from-teacher-to-farmer-why-i-went-back-to-the-land/

https://distributistreview.com/five-years-a-farmer/

  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Recent Status Updates

    • 47of74

      47of74

      Someone trying to make some salad of the potaters

      · 0 replies
    • FiveAcres

      FiveAcres

      Just found out that a friend, who was in home hospice, died last night. He was a cantankerous old guy, but still, a friend.
       
      · 1 reply
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Holy Storage Places!

      · 0 replies
    • GreyhoundFan

      GreyhoundFan

      I ran into this cartoon that made me smile. It's nice to see something wholesome. Plus, Triceratops are my favorite dinosaurs too.


      · 1 reply
    • Hazelbunny

      Hazelbunny

      It is Hazels 11th Birthday today! (He has been living with me for 11 years - probably more like 13 years old)❤️
       
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      It was gonna be the photo of the year until....

      · 2 replies
    • K'Z'K

      K'Z'K

      🎵 It's beginning to look a lot like Allston Christmas 🎵
       
      It's mid-August, time for the biggest holiday in Boston (and Cambridge, Somerville, and other nearby cities/towns). The traditional decorations are going out on the curb, the UHauls are converging on the city, and the Storrowings have begun in earnest. As a bonus for this year, the T is a disaster and occasionally bursts info flames, if it's running at all. Welcome, students!
      As the BossTones once said:
      I was here before they came,
      I'll be here long after.
      Don't wanna swear,
      but it seems clear
      that I'm gonna have ta.
      Ah . . . . fuck.
      · 0 replies
    • WannabeHistorian

      WannabeHistorian

      Well, I survived the ultrasound. It was incredibly uncomfortable and invasive, but I lived. Thank you so much once again to everyone who responded to my initial post. You guys helped me so much so that I even had a normal bp when the nurse checked it!
      · 0 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Guess I forgot to tell y'all I fell and dislocated my ankle last week. Had the ankle put back into place but also have something called a tri-mallealar (sp) fracture. 3 places! Surgery next Thursday for the lovely hardware needed to put it all back together. Did I mention that Oxy is like shooting a bb at a hurricane for pain? 
      · 6 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      F**k Alzheimer's.
      · 1 reply
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.