• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
clueliss

Interesting Genealogy Findings

clueliss

So I discovered a lot of ancestry.com leads that led me to newspapers.com (and you can save the clippings over to ancestry).  FYI Newspapers does offer a 7-day free trial which I'm taking advantage of at the moment.

So yesterday I looked up my paternal family surname (sort of common in the US) in the small town my father is from.  While I was hoping for obituaries for his mom, sister and father what I found was a series of divorce announcements, etc for my paternal grandparents (not a shock since I had figured out from evidence as well as a discussion with my uncle about them).  (oh and they married, divorced/split up/she went with his brother for a while/then got back together and had my dad and uncle).  What was a shock was to see this in the newspaper articles of the time and the term 'gross negligence of duty' applied to my grandfather - assumption on my part - alcohol was likely involved, also the term cruelty.  And this was circa 1917/18 when people did not get divorced)

Another finding this time on my maternal side was burial notices (yes plural) in 1895 from my maternal grandmother's family.  I believe my mother had mentioned to me that she thought there had been twins who died.  Well, I think I found the evidence of it.  Burial notice for a 6-day infant as well as a burial notice for a 4-day old infant.  No indication of which cemetery in St Louis so I might do some more research on that.  

Who else has interesting findings

donnal

Old topic, but I just noticed this forum existed, lol.  I was recently able to find my father's birth parents and have been able to trace his lineage back to the late 1800s so far thanks to AncestryDNA and Ancestry.com.  It's been very interesting.  His side of the family has been this big gaping black hole for so long.  His birth mother died very tragically when he was a baby and his father apparently couldn't raise the kids on his own so he gave them up for adoption.  My father had no paperwork, the records were sealed, and he couldn't remember anyone's names or anything. I decided to take the test and got matched with several people with the same last name that definitely didn't come from my mother's side. I was able to do a little cyberstalking internet sleuthing and found someone with that last name who's dates and locations all matched up with my bio-grandfather.  He even had a wife who died in the same time frame.  Eventually we reached out and this man confirmed everything.  Communication since then has been minimal(neither my father nor his bio dad seem to be interested in each other), but I was able to dig further back in my family tree and learn a lot more. I still continue to check in to all the various websites (Ancestry, Newspapers, Family Search, etc) from time to time and try to gather more and more information when I can. One particular branch of my father's family tree has reached a dead end, so now I'm awaiting response an FOIA request I put in with the SSA. Hopefully their documents can give me a little more info to keep my search alive.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.