IGNORED

Andrea Mills 3: Still Buying Junk Food

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

According to Andrea, all those Little Debbie snack cakes were put in a bin, and at 3pm every day, each child got to choose a snack from the bin. I don't know whether they were allowed to eat the snacks at any other time of the day.

There is one video I watched ages ago where Andrea explained away the amount of junk she was purchasing. She roughly calculated that per kid it was just one or two items a day. Someone else did the calculation, based on what Andrea had shown and discussed and per kid, per day the amount was far more. (one of those comments that magically disappeared after a bit because it wasn't all supportive)  I followed that conversation in the comments section until it disappeared as it was interesting to read both sides of the debate.

Andrea also mentioned a few times, and showed in local shopping videos, that the kids were allowed to purchase all the crap they wanted with their own money. So the older kids were shown to purchase sodas and junk each week.   If that's what we were privy to seeing, can you imagine what else was purchased?

When Andrea started to slightly change her junk purchases she said it was due to getting back to homemade, wholesome foods and supplies. She claimed it was mainly about budget. However, it was only after a lot of negative comments over a few months of shopping videos. She was called out many times for buying junk and processed. If the kids were ever served up veg & protein (besides chicken) it would have been a time before the vlogs started which means the little ones wouldn't know what a healthy diet was.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

*surfaces from rabbit hole*

*takes deep breath*

*looks around cautiously*

Well that got weird quickly, didn't it?

The last time I'd looked at the thread she'd just passed away and it was still thread 1. I knew nothing other than she'd died of biliary duct cancer and had gone from feeling unwell to being at death's door very, very rapidly. The developments since then have been different to say the least. I know it's only been two months, but I hope some of his real life contacts (probably family as I'm not actually sure Tom has any real life friends) pull him aside and get him to take a second look at what he's doing and what the kids actually need. Failing that - move out ASAP Thomas and Asher! Discover a new world of vegetables and flavour!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, louannems said:

Andrea often said she had studied nutrition extensively and she came to the conclusion that anything goes. F

She must have studied at the school of Gwen Shamblin but left out the starvation part. I'm just realizes how close Andrea and Gwen's teachings on food are. Both hate fruits and veggies and love junk food so junk food is now healthy and you don't really need fruits and veggies. 

They must all feel awful. The children know nothing but a steady diet of junk food. They have never know dental or medical care. And now it seems like they aren't even brushing teeth before going to bed! Health wise these kids are in actual danger of having something awful happen to them. 

• Upvote 12

Not defending the Mill's food choices because I agree with all that those kids eat way too much junk and carbs, but regarding the shopping videos, those were always the Walmart trips which were the 'supplemental' trips.  Allegedly the regular healthier food was purchased at the local grocery store where Thomas works.  Andrea said she had no issues paying more there because she liked to support a local business.  So while I still don't think any meals were super healthy, they likely contained more than just the junk we saw her purchase at Walmart.

Just throwing that out there so Tom/Rachel can't accuse us of spreading lies.

Not saying they were healthy meals by any stretch though.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Not defending the Mill's food choices because I agree with all that those kids eat way too much junk and carbs, but regarding the shopping videos, those were always the Walmart trips which were the 'supplemental' trips.  Allegedly the regular healthier food was purchased at the local grocery store where Thomas works.  Andrea said she had no issues paying more there because she liked to support a local business.  So while I still don't think any meals were super healthy, they likely contained more than just the junk we saw her purchase at Walmart.

True. Yes, the healthier stuff was mostly from the local store. Buying the fresh fruit, veg, meat and other produce locally was a great thing that she did, especially when things went on sale.
Someone mentioned up thread (or prior one maybe?) about the amount of fresh fruit that she would purchase. For the sized family that the Mills is, the amount seems minimal.  But at least Andrea did buy veggies.
I rewatched "Weekly Shopping with the Kids ║ Large Family Shop with Me │ Jan. 2018" and as I had 'liked it' from when it first come out I thought I'd read the comments. The questions about the amount of bananas have disappeared.  I also watched another video and it was good to see two large punnets of strawberries plus other fruit but again, for a family of that size, it was still quite small (although I'm comparing that to my family of four who devours strawberries so probably not a fair comparison)

Edited by under siege
  • Upvote 4

I remember seeing cute Sofia munching on red apples and always wanting Andrea to buy more. Haven't seen any apples recently. We don't have the perfect diet but my family has access to fruits and veggies at anytime. We have some junk too but its not our main source of calories! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Right, she absolutely bought some fresh stuff from the food store that we wouldn't see from Walmart which is fair enough. But she has made a few videos sharing her meal planning index card system, and some where she says what dinners they had that week, which is where you can really see how few healthy or fresh items their dinners contained. So some, yes, but not much at all.

• Upvote 3

I think we should stop talking about how healthy, or not, their diet is. Nothing said here will make any difference. It's boring too.  /s

Edited by SilverBeach
for those who might miss the sarcasm
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 1

Tom uploaded another shopping trip video. He bought ONE bag of apples ( so like an apple per kid) but 4 or 5 gallons of water for himself and just 2 jugs of milk.  And tons of convenience foods either salt based or sugar based. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

28 minutes ago, WhatAlife said:

Tom uploaded another shopping trip video. He bought ONE bag of apples ( so like an apple per kid) but 4 or 5 gallons of water for himself and just 2 jugs of milk.  And tons of convenience foods either salt based or sugar based. 

How the heck is he a "water snob" buying himself distilled water but he doesn't care what else goes into his or his kids' bodies?? That was a weird moment

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I’m a newby.  I have been reading about Tom here since Andrea passed away, but have not said anything.  There’s so much to say it’s overwhelming.   I feel like my head could explode.  That jerk makes my blood pressure go off the charts.     I don’t know where to start...and there is nowhere to stop.   I despise him, with a passion.   He is an unfit parent, just as was Andrea.  At least Andrea loved the kids.   Tom doesn’t.   It’s all about Tom.     Me me me, what can everyone do for me   Poor me, I have nine kids who need a parent, and I don’t want it to be a parent.  Azz wipe!!

I just watched his newest Walmart video.   He gets the worst Dad award.    Sure, let’s take baby Hannah to Walmart at night, in a Wyoming winter........no shoes, no socks, no pants, no blanket.   Stick her in a nasty dirty cart without any sanitization.   I have to stop, my head is going to blast off.   Every single one of those kids are neglected on every level.....including when the Mom was alive.  

15 minutes ago, can'tstopwatching said:

How the heck is he a "water snob" buying himself distilled water but he doesn't care what else goes into his or his kids' bodies?? That was a weird moment

Every moment with that azz wipe is weird, and unacceptable.   He is not fit to be a parent.  The ONLY person he cares about is himself.   He is a narcissistic lowlife.   How I wish the children could be in a good home, with proper love and care, but that will never happen.  DFS has been called repeatedly, to no avail.  

I was blocked from his YouTube long ago.   He does not allow the truth to be spoken.    He and his wannabe girlfriend, Rachel Day, must be up 24/7 blocking people.  Idiots!!

Edited by Olivia Marie
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

53 minutes ago, WhatAlife said:

what is with the water anyway? Did they ever explain why he buys distilled? And why for him and not everyone? That's so bizarre. 

Also - they'd save a bunch of shopping time if they just got a second cart at the start. 

Edited by HeadacheLife
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, WhatAlife said:

They buy a gazillion gallons of milk (whole milk!) from a small grocery store.  Not the local one but one Tom passes on his jobs.  It's the cheapest price anywhere.  They only supplement that with a gallon or two at Walmart as needed.

• Thank You 1

17 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Yes, this is absolutely true.

Many of them homeschool in order to isolate their kids as well as out of fear of the public schools, so it makes sense they don’t utilize resources they themselves decide they don’t need. It’s infuriating!

Did Tom ever say Why he got a YouTube strike? 

... hrmmm sorry for the quote paste.... can’t get rid of it ? 

Watched his shop video and he packs the cold and frozen goods around the poor baby with no pants or socks on. Ouch. 

• WTF 3

@Saywha?      From what I could gather, people were reporting their videos......I was one of those people.    Opening tons of gifts and giftcards every Tuesday......before his crazy and chaotic “game night.”    He also talked about his Go Fund Me remaining open so people can donate.  He talked to his subs about making clothes for the kids, etc.  He talked about the $3,000 people have put on his account at the local grocery store....and that it never goes down because people keep putting more money on it -  hint hint hint.     He said he hasn’t used his own money yet at Walmart because of all of the giftcards.  He’s a sham, and an embarrassment to GOOD Dads everywhere.  He has more money than he has had in his entire life and he is loving every moment.  He doesn’t want it to ever end.   Along with having all of those crazed illiterate women drooling all over him.  Disgusting.   He will be married as soon as anyone will have him.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Olivia Marie said:

@Saywha?      From what I could gather, people were reporting their videos......I was one of those people.    Opening tons of gifts and giftcards every Tuesday......before his crazy and chaotic “game night.”    He also talked about his Go Fund Me remaining open so people can donate.  He talked to his subs about making clothes for the kids, etc.  He talked about the $3,000 people have put on his account at the local grocery store....and that it never goes down because people keep putting more money on it -  hint hint hint.     He said he hasn’t used his own money yet at Walmart because of all of the giftcards.  He’s a sham, and an embarrassment to GOOD Dads everywhere.  He has more money than he has had in his entire life and he is loving every moment.  He doesn’t want it to ever end.   Along with having all of those crazed illiterate women drooling all over him.  Disgusting.   He will be married as soon as anyone will have him.  

I see I see... is that a no on YouTube? I didn’t know the rules! I thought maybe the flashing kid or pee on table violated a policy though 

Okay you guys, I’m a complete dunce ?.     Above the beehive mine says “You’re all going to Hell.”     Below it says  “The Elderly.”    Are these automatically assigned?   I am elderly, but I don’t want people to think I’m telling them to take a hike ?

• Haha 2

@SayWhat     There was something about indecent exposure by a child. I think it was Hannah, but not sure about that.   That poddy incident was disgusting.   It wasn’t Hannah’s fault, but what Tom did afterwards was not acceptable.    Geeez, he grabbed the dishcloth, smeared the urine over half of the table, barely rinsed the cloth, smeared it on the table more....than threw it back into the sink.  I.Was.Furious!     If he does that on a Live with thousands of people watching, I can’t even begin to imagine what a cesspoll that house is, and everything in it.       Once a week baths, once a week laundry, etc.   I don’t even think those things are probably weekly.  I think Tom and Andrea only said that so people wouldn’t go even more crazy.     If a person took a infrared light in that house/van  everything would be bright purple, including the kids.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, can'tstopwatching said:

@can’tstopwatching It must have been somewhere in the Bible where it said Thou Shalt  Ingest Distilled Water but your kids shalt grow up on chemicals.

Edited by WhatAlife
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Olivia Marie said:

Okay you guys, I’m a complete dunce ?.     Above the beehive mine says “You’re all going to Hell.”     Below it says  “The Elderly.”    Are these automatically assigned?   I am elderly, but I don’t want people to think I’m telling them to take a hike ?

You are not a complete dunce! There are some old references and in-jokes involved.

You registered in March, so that counts you among "the elderly." I forget how long someone needs to be here for that designation. It is a reference to what Steve Maxwell and his robotic brood call the people they entrap visit in a nursing home that they use as their church.

The post count title above your name will change as you post more. There is a list in this thread:

Edited by thoughtful
removing and getting rid of redundancy and repetitive things that I wrote over and over.
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, HeadacheLife said:

Also - they'd save a bunch of shopping time if they just got a second cart at the start. 

Exactly!! You just want to scream at him to stop being so “ extra “ about the stupid carts. He brings another person with him capable of pushing a cart, so why not grab 2 from the start??  
Funny how he is “doing it the hard way” when it comes to carts, but putting in some effort into nutrition? Nah! 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

You are not a complete dunce! There are some old references and in-jokes involved.

You registered in March, so that counts you among "the elderly." I forget how long someone needs to be here for that designation. It is a reference to what Steve Maxwell and his robotic brood call the people they entrap visit in a nursing home that they use as their church.

The post count title above your name will change as you post more. There is a list in this thread:

Ah-Ha  Thanks so much   I sincerely appreciate your explanation and the attachment.    Even though I understand now, I’m still a dunce ?

@WhatAlife       Tom’s “one cart only” obsession is just stupid - just like he is.    Everything is a challenge, a game.    He is completely over-the-top obsessive/compulsive.  It goes perfectly with the fact that he has to have complete control of everything, and everyone.  It’s all about Tom, what Tom wants.   Unless those kids can escape his dictatorship, and move far away, they will never stand a chance of having an even halfway normal life.   They have been fed so much propoganda about everything in their lives, they will continue down that very sick path.   

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Olivia Marie said:

Everything is a challenge, a game.  

I still consider myself pretty new to this family, but, from what I've seen of Tom, this hits the mark. I mean, he has other problems, but I think he treats a lot of real life like one of his beloved games.

And he doesn't do it in a fun way - I'm all for making chores into enjoyable experiences for kids - it's more like he has to make up arbitrary rules. They ended up with two carts after it was all packed, anyway!

Why does he focus the camera on shampoo and conditioner and say wistfully that he wishes they could get those? Why does he focus on the price of everything before he takes it off of the shelf? That sure seems like making sure supporters know how much everything costs, and that they still can't afford some things. He actually sounds a bit disappointed when he says he spent less than he expected, as if he wanted his fans to know how very very expensive their life is. Tom, if you are really not begging and grifting, you might want to avoid that in the future.

And, yes, junk food sometimes is no big deal, but that was a huge amount of starch, sugar, fat, salt and essentially plastic food in plastic packaging. How could they possibly need so much Jolly Rancher, with all the candy people have been sending them? How about a spare pair of leggings for Hannah, rather than so many types of pasta-and-salt-based crap?

I want to see the shopping trip at the supermarket, buying fresh vegetables (I'll settle for frozen, but not just potatoes and corn, please), more apples and a variety of fruit.

I have no idea if he really needs the cleaning gadget - I'm all for hoping that they are keeping that house clean, but I also know he loves gadgets. And where is that space heater going to go -- is there somewhere safe, in that crowded house?

He keeps saying he feels like a failure. Some people who repeatedly say they feel like a failure really mean it, and need help. Of course, they need to take the help (including advice) when it is given to be less of a failure. Some say it to get strokes. I'm trying to fair, but it's hard not to see Tom as the latter type.

Tom, someone in that house probably knows the layout of the store. Make a shopping list as a doc on the computer, with little empty boxes as bullet points. Let your kids remind you of where things are -- heck, make it a game, if you want! Make a map (the store may have them on paper, and/or online). Lay out the list based on the aisles of the store. Take two carts at the beginning, and get what's on the list. Check each off as you put it in one of the two carts. If you want a game/rule/obsessive thing that is actually useful, make one cart only for perishable items, so they all get packed together. Take fabric bags and vinyl boxes with you -- they make carrying things into the house much easier, as well as being easier on the planet. Ta-da! Shopping!

Or, as several people suggested in the comments, use the services the store offers to shop for you and have it ready for pickup, or even delivered.

I can say one good thing. I'd watched another shopping video, from when Andrea was still alive, in which most (possibly all) of the kids were awake and expected to help put things away, in the middle of the night. I am glad it was only Tom and the eldest three kids this time, since it had to be after midnight.

• Upvote 7

Tom went on enough monthly shopping trips with Andrea to know the layout of the store. He also has those videos as a guide. Even to put it on mute if he doesn't want to hear her laughing or instructions.
I agree with the previous comments about it being a game for him.

When it comes to the one-cart thing, it started out as a challenge for him. It became a 'thing' with not only Andrea's encouragement but some of his youtube people. Plenty of comments saying they absolutely loved him being on the shopping trips with her.   Even back then he had a little following who loved all things Tom.

I actually felt sorry for Andrea when their date night became the shopping night. Way back before Hannah, probably when Claudia was a baby, Andrea said that the monthly shopping trip was the only 'her' time she ever got. So, since before Hannah, she never got to have that.   Not that I have a large family, but even in my life, as an introvert who considers herself homey, 'me' time is absolutely necessary, especially away from noise and chaos.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, under siege said:

actually felt sorry for Andrea when their date night became the shopping night. Way back before Hannah, probably when Claudia was a baby, Andrea said that the monthly shopping trip was the only 'her' time she ever got.

Oh that does suck. I love grocery shopping by myself, pretty much because it's an hour where I can just get the stuff on the list and chill (I also tend to do it at very odd hours so it's usually quiet. Also I get a chocolate frog). As a date night though, seriously? Screw that. Go and have a coffee together somewhere, go for a walk, do something where you can reconnect without competing demands. 

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic