Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Jana 10: Advertising Boredom on a Biblical Level

Recommended Posts

SassyPants
13 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The road was named after the chicken company, which previously had a location there.

One minor thing that bugged me was that JD kept referring to the class as “woodworking,” when obviously they were just painting wooden signs. I guess he wanted it to sound more manly.

So why do we think they were in Knoxville? Surely it was Bates-related in some way? Maybe something to do with JD helping Nathan with becoming a pilot? It did occur to me that since Jana has this internet store on her mind, she might have wanted to talk to the Bates ladies about their boutique. Also, Laura stayed with the Duggars while Jana went to Knoxville, which seems funny since she’s always explained as “Jana’s friend.”

Did they fly to TN? Maybe there wasn’t enough space/weight for an extra passenger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OHFL2009
13 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

So why do we think they were in Knoxville? Surely it was Bates-related in some way? Maybe something to do with JD helping Nathan with becoming a pilot? It did occur to me that since Jana has this internet store on her mind, she might have wanted to talk to the Bates ladies about their boutique. Also, Laura stayed with the Duggars while Jana went to Knoxville, which seems funny since she’s always explained as “Jana’s friend.”

I assumed they went to Knoxville to mess with the people who are convinced Jana and Lawson are a thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeccaGrim

What I saw last night in that episode from Jana...

Perhaps it was meant to look like Jana is happy and just wants to be left alone about dating.  And maybe she is. But how it came across to me was that she is sad.  Her remarks that she has to remind the family that they are family, that they are all sisters, and it isn't only about couples, really broke my heart.  Also, that there were other things to talk about.  

Jana didn't seem happy or secure to me.  Not at all.  She had sad eyes. 

  • Upvote 18
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnnaRuk09
7 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

What I saw last night in that episode from Jana...

Perhaps it was meant to look like Jana is happy and just wants to be left alone about dating.  And maybe she is. But how it came across to me was that she is sad.  Her remarks that she has to remind the family that they are family, that they are all sisters, and it isn't only about couples, really broke my heart.  Also, that there were other things to talk about.  

Jana didn't seem happy or secure to me.  Not at all.  She had sad eyes. 

Agreed. Did anyone also catch the part where the stylist was like, the guy will come when you least expect it, and she was like “yeah....maybe it will but for now it’s nice”? She sounded so discouraged and defeated when she said the first part. I’m sure seeing most of her siblings find their pair and move on must be excruciating for her, more than she likes to admit or let on. I think she really enjoys being single in the way that she gets to travel and explore hobbies but you can tell she really wants to find someone. Maybe she has contemplated that it might actually never happen (without settling or comprising)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marionette

I can agree with/see both sides of the coin in regards to Jana’s singleness. Having spent my teenage years involved in ATI/IBLP — despite it being drilled in our heads that marriage is our only direction in life, we’re not allowed to show any hint of discontentment because it’s ungodly. I’ll bet it’s hard for Jana to still be single when she’s in a belief system where marriage is the end goal. Some days are probably harder than others, and she’s probably trying not to seem “discontent.” On the other hand, if she were to say she wished she could find someone, she might be afraid to come across as desperate / unhappy with the “season” God has her in. And a lot of weirdos will probably show up wanting to be prayer partners with JB. It’s a big ole catch-22.

Edited by Marionette
ETA: Basically, we (especially women) are not allowed to display any “negative” emotions. Really, even feeling them was heavily discouraged because it was implied to be ungodly.
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldricks_turnip

There's something about Jana that makes it hard for me to imagine her being affectionate with a husband (or wife, for that matter) and kids. I just don't see her in that family setting. I can't imagine her being like her sisters, calling her husband "babe!", enjoying all the opportunities to hug and kiss once married, talking about how precious and sweet her newborn is.


I think if she had been raised in a mainstream/secular family she would be the type of young woman to have a lot of independent pursuits, travelling, developing a career, trying out different hobbies. The type that might be a member of a book club or check out MeetUp groups for hiking buddies but might not enjoy close or intense friendships.

I could be very wrong, as she might just be incredibly uncomfortable on camera even after all these years, but she strikes me as a bit of an anxious and closed off person.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tangy Bee

@baldricks_turnipthought I was the only one up. "An anxious and closed off person," for describing Jana. I've been thinking the same thing for years! If she really sincerely wants to be married...I hope it happens before her youngest sisters become old enough for courtship. Those girls are like her children. We already have Justin, who in my opinion looks like he's in 8th grade. Watching siblings you've helped raise get married has got to be horribly tough. Jana can smile all she wants, I'm not buying it. I'm glad she has hobbies and other distractions to keep her busy.

  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldricks_turnip
5 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

@baldricks_turnipthought I was the only one up. "An anxious and closed off person," for describing Jana. I've been thinking the same thing for years! If she really sincerely wants to be married...I hope it happens before her youngest sisters become old enough for courtship. Those girls are like her children. We already have Justin, who in my opinion looks like he's in 8th grade. Watching siblings you've helped raise get married has got to be horribly tough. Jana can smile all she wants, I'm not buying it. I'm glad she has hobbies and other distractions to keep her busy.

I also wonder if she's not really honest with herself about what she really wants, or self-aware enough. Like she starts 'getting to know' someone but doesn't find herself getting all gooey over him like she observed with her courting sisters, so she decides he just isn't the one/she's being picky/he's not the one God has planned for her, but maybe no one would make her feel that way?

(Standard disclaimer that I'm just armchair analysing someone from TV)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seraaa
On 9/18/2020 at 6:24 AM, baldricks_turnip said:

I also wonder if she's not really honest with herself about what she really wants, or self-aware enough. Like she starts 'getting to know' someone but doesn't find herself getting all gooey over him like she observed with her courting sisters, so she decides he just isn't the one/she's being picky/he's not the one God has planned for her, but maybe no one would make her feel that way?

(Standard disclaimer that I'm just armchair analysing someone from TV)

There are lots of reasons why someone might not want to be in a relationship, or may even be subconsciously shying away from opportunities because they're not ready (ask me how I know lol). This could apply to Jana. 

Or maybe she simply hasn't met someone likes enough.

Edited by seraaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johannah

It has to be incredibly tough to be her age and single in that environment. In a world where it’s acceptable and even encouraged to basically be betrothed to someone as an underage teenager.
 

I live in a huge city in an area where people tend to marry on the later side. I met my husband at 29 and still felt ancient at the time. I knew a lot of unmarried people my age, but the majority were still already partnered off. I feel like Jana being 30 and single in her world is the equivalent of being 45 and single in metropolitan, secular America (aside from the fact that she is still theoretically able to procreate). 
 

Jana and Michael Bates are suffering from the fundie failures of not meeting expectations of the only two things they are supposed to accomplish. It must be devastating for them. And torturous to live in an environment where they are constantly reminded of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
becky_m2001
On 9/18/2020 at 12:32 AM, baldricks_turnip said:

There's something about Jana that makes it hard for me to imagine her being affectionate with a husband (or wife, for that matter) and kids. I just don't see her in that family setting. I can't imagine her being like her sisters, calling her husband "babe!", enjoying all the opportunities to hug and kiss once married, talking about how precious and sweet her newborn is.


I think if she had been raised in a mainstream/secular family she would be the type of young woman to have a lot of independent pursuits, travelling, developing a career, trying out different hobbies. The type that might be a member of a book club or check out MeetUp groups for hiking buddies but might not enjoy close or intense friendships.

I could be very wrong, as she might just be incredibly uncomfortable on camera even after all these years, but she strikes me as a bit of an anxious and closed off person.

I think once she finds someone she connects with, someone she loves, she might surprise you. My older brother was staunchly anti-babies and children. He didn't hate them, but he didn't really like them either. When his friends would have a baby he was the one who never held them and didn't really want anything to do with them. Then he had his first child and what a change! The first picture I saw of him with my darling first niece, he was laying on the couch in the hospital room with the baby asleep on his chest. Having his own kid seemed to turn on this softer more sensitive side that he had kept VERY hidden and it was sweet, but strange, to witness. The same could happen for Jana.

  • Upvote 9
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobology

I would have thought JD, too, would have trouble showing affection based on how he has been portrayed through the years on the show. But nope, not only does he seem quite affectionate with Abbie, he also seems to not be afraid one tiny bit to show it. It looks like love bit him hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vivi_music
On 9/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, Johannah said:

It has to be incredibly tough to be her age and single in that environment. In a world where it’s acceptable and even encouraged to basically be betrothed to someone as an underage teenager.
 

I live in a huge city in an area where people tend to marry on the later side. I met my husband at 29 and still felt ancient at the time. I knew a lot of unmarried people my age, but the majority were still already partnered off. I feel like Jana being 30 and single in her world is the equivalent of being 45 and single in metropolitan, secular America (aside from the fact that she is still theoretically able to procreate).

I think that is a good comparison. I got into my first serious relationship at 26. Things went well and for the past 4 years now we habe been living together like heathens out of wedlock. And I had been on dates with other guys before meeting him. I had short relationships that lasted a few months. So my options weren't as restrained as Jana's.

But it was still hard before I found him. I had some friends who were buying their first houses at the time, settling in with someone, etc. I really wanted to meet someone and dates were not leading to anything. It really felt like it wouldn't happen for me. So I can totally relate to Jana's feelings. It sucked to see a lot of my friends have things I also wanted in life. And for a while, yes I was a bit closer with my friends who were going through similar stuff than me (single, still living in the city, not in a suburban house). It was not my friends' fault and I didn't mean to cut them out completly. But I did have to process theses feelings of wanting that for myself and feeling sad that I wasn't at the stage of life I wanted to be. I felt like it was slipping me by. So it was a bit easier to do that with friends that could understand what I was going through.

All of that was in the secular world. So I can't even start to phantom how hard it is for Jana in the fundie world, at 30! I seriously hate fundamentalism, but I can't help to feel a bit sad for her. If Jana wants to meet someone and have a family and feels like she is missing on something she desires, well that sucks. Not to mention that the chances of it happening in the fundie world are probably getting slimmer for her. Meeting someone at 26 or 29 in the secular world is still common.

I wonder if maybe Jana really wants to have that life, she'd be willing broaden her circle a bit to find the right guy. At one point, I know I decided to put myself in danger and date a lot more, even if it was tiring sometimes. Ironicially, I met Mr. Music at work... but still, I was in the right mindset; that I had to try, go on dates, not be afraid and I think it helped me a lot. The only thing is, I wonder if that kind of attitudes is frown upon for girls in their fundie cult. I doubt being the proactive one is really encouraged.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AussieKrissy

Does anyone on here have anyone on their radar for Jana. Any eligible fundie men?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabine
36 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Does anyone on here have anyone on their radar for Jana. Any eligible fundie men?   

i don't think that is gonna be that easy

1. not married GBs (Godly Blokes) at that age group are still living at home with momma and that might not be a such attractive thing to a GS (Godly Sheilas) considering that the GB should be older

2. widows, GBs with many children and no wife, would a GS really want to marry into that? 

3. prejudice by GBs in regards to a GS who is no longer in her teens, might she be a bit picky or difficult 

so really i can see it a hassle trying to find someone. What gets me is that she knows how the world functions, she knows she can and could have a life outside the golden cage her parents provide her with. She has enough skills to get buy, she is smart enough to go back to school get a degree in something, she could write a tell all book etc, she has options but she prefers to not do anything other then look miserable and bored but with a nice garden.  So unless a GB from elsewhere comes along who like her has not yet seen enough reasons to form into a GC (godly couple) and who falls heavily for her, i think she is stuck in a rut of her own making. She could have left many times in the last ten years since reaching adulthood and she did not. 

But then, a few years ago i came about an article about letters to the editor from the 1910s in regards to 'spinsters' and 'old maids'. One of the Ladies wrote taht all a good Lady for happiness in her life is is a good digestions for the complexion, a good income for good sleep, and a gentlemen caller for entertainment. (i paraphrase) She does not need a husband and children, often times they are the reason for the misery of women. :) So maybe Jana is keeping this in mind, and is just waiting her time. 

Edited by Sabine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bluebirdbluebell
27 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Does anyone on here have anyone on their radar for Jana. Any eligible fundie men?   

Go to the Unmarried list, and start googling or figuring out the young men are. There are probably a few men on the list who could work.

I think JB really wants Jana to get married and he'd consider someone fundie-lite or conservative Christian for her, especially as she's a girl. 

I hope she gets married if she wants to and not because she's feels that the only option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
becky_m2001
1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

Does anyone on here have anyone on their radar for Jana. Any eligible fundie men?   

I've often thought that Stephen Wissmann might make a decent match for Jana. He's the kind of guy she might go for; outdoorsy, works with his hands, country boy. The only thing is he's about three years younger than her so that might be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snarkasarus Rex

There are a plethora of Arndt man-boys available for the taking. There would be some genuine entertainment there, IMO.

It’s the crossover we never knew we needed. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Audrey2
24 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

There are a plethora of Arndt man-boys available for the taking. There would be some genuine entertainment there, IMO.

It’s the crossover we never knew we needed. 

Yes, but how would Jana feel about little white shorts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flippyflop
14 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

I've often thought that Stephen Wissmann might make a decent match for Jana. He's the kind of guy she might go for; outdoorsy, works with his hands, country boy. The only thing is he's about three years younger than her so that might be an issue.

He would be perfect! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vivi_music
14 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

I've often thought that Stephen Wissmann might make a decent match for Jana. He's the kind of guy she might go for; outdoorsy, works with his hands, country boy. The only thing is he's about three years younger than her so that might be an issue.

3 years younger would certainly be a problem if it was a courtship à la Justin and Claire. But between 27 and 30, it is way more reasonable and normal. 

I dunno if it is frowned upon in fundie couples if the woman is older than her husband. But I think if Jana found someones who was maybe 3 or 4 years younger than her, people would let it pass, simply because she has been waiting for so long to find the right person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrchidBlossom
8 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

There are a plethora of Arndt man-boys available for the taking. There would be some genuine entertainment there, IMO.

It’s the crossover we never knew we needed. 

Can’t see JB thinking an Arndt is good enough for his precious television show daughter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuiverFullofBooks
4 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

3 years younger would certainly be a problem if it was a courtship à la Justin and Claire. But between 27 and 30, it is way more reasonable and normal. 

I dunno if it is frowned upon in fundie couples if the woman is older than her husband. But I think if Jana found someones who was maybe 3 or 4 years younger than her, people would let it pass, simply because she has been waiting for so long to find the right person.

Jessa is significantly older than Ben, who was still a teenager when they were counting. I can’t imagine anyone objecting to Jana having a relationship with a 27-year-old. 

A Jana/Arendt match has been suggested many times. No way in hell. They’re both weird families, but in very different ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
becky_m2001
1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

A Jana/Arendt match has been suggested many times. No way in hell. They’re both weird families, but in very different ways.

The Arndt boys (it's hard to call them men when they still live with Mommy and Daddy) give me the biggest case of the creeps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AussieKrissy

I have to wonder if Jana is viewed in a positiveway by her circle eg she is waiting for prince charming kind of thing or if she is viewed as a cautionary tale...see what happens when you are to choosey, not godly enough you are not rewarded with a husband?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.