IGNORED

Jana 10: Advertising Boredom on a Biblical Level

samurai_sarah

They film what they know will get sites  like FJ gabbing and speculating plus They know Jana is a perennial hot topic :)

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I'm cutting Jana a break on this because it is a brief moment in a longer sequence.  We didn't see everything that led up to that moment.  We just know production decided to show that one moment that Jana decided to snap at the precious miracle child.

I don’t think the scene showed either that Josie is particularly difficult and spoiled  OR that Jana is particularly rigid and angry. She was doing an art project with a big group of kids. One of the kids was being irritating and not listening. Jana was irritated and snapped at her. Like happens all the time in normal households when you’re trying to do something with kids.

The only surprising thing  was that they didn’t just cut that part to make everything look all sweetness and light. 

• Upvote 20

From what I understand from quotes I've read here, it seems Jana would prefer someone like Joy's husband or perhaps the husband of Erin Bates? What are their circles like? Anyone single and appropriate for Jana?

• Upvote 7

I am sure there are many fine young Fundie male specimens in her circle. The catch is someone can be good looking and have excellent specs but they just don’t dig you that way and visa versa. Many many  people never find the one for them and they don’t choose to settle and Jana maybe one of them.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I don’t think the scene showed either that Josie is particularly difficult and spoiled  OR that Jana is particularly rigid and angry. She was doing an art project with a big group of kids. One of the kids was being irritating and not listening. Jana was irritated and snapped at her. Like happens all the time in normal households when you’re trying to do something with kids.
 The only surprising thing  was that they didn’t just cut that part to make everything look all sweetness and light. 

I have the same impression.

When I read about that scene, I was expecting some big blow up. She hardly lost her patience at all! If that’s the measure of bad parenting (even though she’s not the parent), then many parents, myself included, would be judged much worse. Josie wanted to do her own thing, and a more mature individual would have just let her paint what she wanted to paint. Sometimes you have to be flexible. I think because we know the context - Jana being her “real” mom for disciplinary issues, Josie likely being spoiled, the rigidity with which they are raised - it maybe makes it seem like something worse.
  • Upvote 15

11 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I am sure there are many fine young Fundie male specimens in her circle. The catch is someone can be good looking and have excellent specs but they just don’t dig you that way and visa versa. Many many  people never find the one for them and they don’t choose to settle and Jana maybe one of them.

Of course. I am just curious as to the types of guys that may be available in their circles. I would imagine most of the ones Jana's age would already be taken, too.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

On 7/29/2020 at 1:08 PM, BullyJBG said:

There's a similar sect where I am; Hutterites. Not exactly the same, but also live communally, and dress very old-school traditional, and I can't remember if they now sent their kids to high school. Anyway, they're currently in the news because some of them went to a funeral in another province, caught Covid-19, and now it's spreading like wildfire in their colonies and they're getting a crash course in social-distancing, which is really hard for them.

The Hutterites had a show too. Like 10 years ago I think it was on Discovery or Smithsonian or something like that. It wasn't very TLC but more documentary. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Skeptic55 said:

When I read about that scene, I was expecting some big blow up. She hardly lost her patience at all!

I agree with this, and I, too, read here before watching that episode.

23 hours ago, Skeptic55 said:

Josie wanted to do her own thing, and a more mature individual would have just let her paint what she wanted to paint.

If her biological parents' intend to continue coddling her (don't know for a fact that they do coddle her, but from what has ever been shown it seems that way) then letting her paint whatever during a "class" session would be fine. I'm wondering if Michelle/JB now realize that babying Josie has not been in her best interest, and maybe they and Jana together have decided to get a bit tougher on Josie. It is even possible that Jana is following orders to be stricter with Josie, though I kind of doubt that. 

To me it seems JB/Michelle have truly invested themselves in only two of their children: favored golden boy Josh and favored miracle child Josie. Ahem.

• Upvote 10

If these were normal people, who react normally to their kids and allowed creativity in any way, I'd agree; Jana's reaction was no big deal.

However, Michelle's famous technique for dealing with disobedience/"undesirable" behaviour is to keep lowering her voice until she's speaking in a whisper. Whisper = the worst punishment is coming. Jana has been parenting these girls since they were babies. Why would her parenting style be different from Michelle's?  

Jana speaks softly to Josie in the painting clip. Josie's wide eyed nodding in response to the producers asking if she got in trouble. The reactions of the three other girls present - Jordyn was smiling and suddenly focused back on her painting. The immediate JB and Michelle talking head about the kids learning to ask each other for forgiveness. 

These are not normal people.  I doubt there is a member on this forum that would have even noticed Josie not painting "correctly" let alone kicked her out of the group.  

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1

As a structured lesson and not creative art time, I would have noticed and taken some form of corrective action. To me, this isn't the real problem. The real issue is Jana being tasked with raising and instructing her parent's children and running the household for more than half of her life. If Jana gets a bit short now and then, good for her. 

Regarding the criticism of her supposed rudeness during Jinger's shopping segment, I saw Jana as being embarrassed, not rude, when asked or told to try on something she knew would not meet anyone's approval at home, not even her own approval. She handled it pretty well. 

While I am no fan of the Duggars, I harbor no ire towards the 2nd generation* or their spouses**; my animosity is all directed at the parents. When you grow up with crazy, when you live and breathe it every moment of every day and are controlled by an authority even into adulthood, it is really difficult to come out healthy. Yes, the 2nd gen will likely keep the crazy going with the 3rd gen, but that's all they know and they have always trusted the authority. Your brother is a piece of trash? Forgive him. Serve him. You try on a spaghetti strapped tank in an enclosed dressing room? You slutty Jezebel, you. You'll pay for that.

*Josh's crimes and misdeeds fall into their own category
** Except Jeremy. There is something seriously off there. I believe he knows exactly what he is doing and chooses to be hateful and smarmy for personal gain and not for what he has been taught by any authority.

But I digress... yes, I would have given some type of consequence to a child who seemed to be deliberately resistant to a lesson, barring any special needs or circumstances.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:49 PM, Audrey2 said:

It seems like in the last year I've read or seen something about the Amish, including a family who thought they wanted to become Amish. As I recall, the Amish community tolerated them but didn't really welcome them, and the family never fit in and became an integral part of the community.

Edited by patsymae
changed my mind about commenting on this

So am I the only one who thinks Jana's "art class" was wildly age-inappropriate for tweens and young teens? I did these types of projects with ages 4-6

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

So am I the only one who thinks Jana's "art class" was wildly age-inappropriate for tweens and young teens? I did these types of projects with ages 4-6

Nah. I think it’s something you might do with any age group. Like those wine and paint nights that were so popular. You can gear it up or down by age group or skill level, but it’s all basically the same thing . 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, patsymae said:

Not at all, if they were actually meant to be doing a stilllife of the flowers. There is no age on painting and it can be as technical or free spirited as you like.

There is no age on art.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

Also, maybe Josie has no interest or talent in Art. I would have rather written a story or read a book when I was a kid. Thankfully, Art was optional when I was a kid. From the clip I saw, Josie wasn’t being disruptive. She painted on the paper, albeit not what was asked of her. I do agree that the kids and their education should be Michelle or JB’s job, and not Jana’s. OTOH, Jana is a 30 YO, living at home and basically provided for by JB and M. It’s all so dysfunctional.

• Upvote 12

12 hours ago, Bobology said:

The real issue is Jana being tasked with raising and instructing her parent's children and running the household for more than half of her life. 

This times 1000. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, Bobology said:

As a structured lesson and not creative art time, I would have noticed and taken some form of corrective action. To me, this isn't the real problem. The real issue is Jana being tasked with raising and instructing her parent's children and running the household for more than half of her life. If Jana gets a bit short now and then, good for her. 

I also wonder if it is killing her a bit inside to still be doing lessons to a bunch of kids when she is a fully grown ass woman. I am about Jana's age and whilst I am not single, me and Mr. Music don't have children yet. And to be honest, it isn't because we don't want too. It is mainly because we aren't finiancially there yet (and other reasons related to job and Mr. Music's immmigration status).

Anywho, I am on the sides of those who think Jana wants to get married and have a family but just has not found the right guy. I don't really buy into the theoy that she would be staying in the TTH to protect her younger siblings. If I compare her situation to mine, I love taking care of my nephews and nieces (using this as an example because I don't have younger siblings). Love babysitting them, and yes I would love to have kids of my own, BUT I also love spending time with adults my age. I can't imagine how not stimulating it must be to be stuck in a bedroom with a bunch of tweens.

Even if I am not starting a family right now, I am trying to at least live the life of a late 20's early 30's year old adult, with friend my age. I'm just sad that Jana can't just live alone like an adult, take care of her own space, maybe just an appartment. Even if the ultimate goal is still to find a husband and start a family, why can't living alone not be a option? This is purely rhetorical. I know why she can't live alone: for accountability reasons of course. 

Also: maybe for Jana, an adult woman living alone is not really an ''option''. According to how she was raised, a woman her age should already have gone through these milestones (wedding, first child, etc.), which probably adds to the frustration. So never mind my comparison. :(

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Living alone would mean Jana would have to get a job. She CAN move out, JB & M can't stop her, but they stop supporting her & cut off her access to her younger siblings, because she isn't following their rules, this is how you know they are in a cult, controlling adults.   While I agree that Michelle & JB should be raising those kids themselves, this is the price Jana pays, minding the youngest kid,s so she can stay home & live off mom & dad.  If you look at it this way, how many parent's are willing to allow their 30 year old to live at home, with no job, and sit around and only do what they want to do all day?  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Living alone would mean Jana would have to get a job. She CAN move out, JB & M can't stop her, but they stop supporting her & cut off her access to her younger siblings, because she isn't following their rules, this is how you know they are in a cult, controlling adults.   While I agree that Michelle & JB should be raising those kids themselves, this is the price Jana pays, minding the youngest kid,s so she can stay home & live off mom & dad.  If you look at it this way, how many parent's are willing to allow their 30 year old to live at home, with no job, and sit around and only do what they want to do all day?  

To be fair, Jana does work on the show, so she is not unemployed. Not sure how many hours she works or how often, or if her dad gets the paycheck. If we are to believe Derick, her dad would be reaping the rewards of her work efforts. If so, she is really between a rock and a hard place. Our soon to be 30 YO son moved back home in April when the house he was renting was sold. He works FT (telecommutes) and is in graduate school which for the most part is online. He plans to buy a place later in the year. We are not charging him room or board as money is not an issue for us. He is helpful around the house. For sure JB and M limited their kids’ ability to thrive in the world by stunting their education and eliminating individual thoughts and freedoms.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Also, maybe Josie has no interest or talent in Art. I would have rather written a story or read a book when I was a kid. Thankfully, Art was optional when I was a kid. From the clip I saw, Josie wasn’t being disruptive. She painted on the paper, albeit not what was asked of her. I do agree that the kids and their education should be Michelle or JB’s job, and not Jana’s. OTOH, Jana is a 30 YO, living at home and basically provided for by JB and M. It’s all so dysfunctional.

I actually interpreted Josie’s behavior as a sign that she is interested in art, which contributed to her experimenting with the paint and textures, versus being content with just copying a flower from a book (which she doesn’t have the skills or training to do). 

I go back and forth with Jana. She was raised in a cult, and there are real consequences to breaking free, both for herself and her unmarried younger siblings. On the other hand, her married sisters have all taken some control over their lives, including marriage choices that didn’t necessarily follow all the rules. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 7/31/2020 at 5:24 PM, OyToTheVey said:

The Hutterites had a show too. Like 10 years ago I think it was on Discovery or Smithsonian or something like that. It wasn't very TLC but more documentary. 

NatGeo did a documentary about the settlement in Canada. I grew up around so many Amish and Mennonites. Learning about the Hutterites was familiar in some ways, different in others. I don’t know how to do links but it’s searchable on YouTube. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, mpheels said:

I actually interpreted Josie’s behavior as a sign that she is interested in art, which contributed to her experimenting with the paint and textures, versus being content with just copying a flower from a book (which she doesn’t have the skills or training to do). 

I go back and forth with Jana. She was raised in a cult, and there are real consequences to breaking free, both for herself and her unmarried younger siblings. On the other hand, her married sisters have all taken some control over their lives, including marriage choices that didn’t necessarily follow all the rules. 

In the early years of their show, I always perceived Jana as a shy, introvert who basically allowed Jill to do all the talking. Same with JD and Josh. Sometimes people who are quiet are perceived as snobs, which would make getting to meet someone and engage in a relationship much harder. I think among her pool of acceptable men, some might wonder why a beautiful, 30 YO is still single, which of course only leads to fewer interested fellas. Of course this is all BS in the real world, but Jana isn’t living out amongst us sinners and heathens.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I always perceived Jana as a shy, introvert who basically allowed Jill to do all the talking. Same with JD and Josh.

Yes, and same with Jesse and Jinger (to a lesser degree than those you mentioned) and also Joe and Josiah. The 8-10 year-old Josiah showed so much promise. He was witty, eager, and an excellent talker/communicator.  What that poor kid suffered, to have it all smacked out of him, is horrible. Horrible for all of them, but Josiah has always stood out in my mind as the one to watch. 

In the early days of the show and specials I was ignorant and oblivious to what was really going on in that family. I just thought they were odd folks, almost cartoonish, but at least living the lives they chose. It wasn't until Josh began courting that I began to smell the coffee.

• Upvote 14

I thought the main reason Josie "got in trouble" during the art lesson was because she wasn't using the paints correctly. As in, these were water color paints that needed to be mixed with water, a very little bit of paint with a lot of water. It looked like she was using the paints like normal kid-friendly craft paints, dipping the brush into the paint. One of the other girls said she was doing it wrong, and those concentrated paints can be expensive. 

I can see why Jana wanted her to stop (since Josie wasn't following directions) and said she wasn't ready for those paints yet.

Edited by Scrappinmac
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2020 at 3:01 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

But in all honesty, I don't know if she KNOWS that she can just move out. I didn't. I was 24 when I snuck out in the middle of the night and eloped with a guy I liked (we weren't even dating....weren't allowed to ? but we liked each other and I still to this day think he was trying to save me from my abusive parents) Looking back now, 19 years later, I wish I would have known that I could have moved out on my own (without getting married) but at the time I was honestly brainwashed to think that it wasn't an option and if I did leave my parents would send the police to come take me back. Looking back I realize how ridiculous it all sounds but you are so unbelievably brainwashed that you just don't know that stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 19

• samurai_sarah locked this topic