IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 10: Hanging onto the Wine

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, SuperNova said:

You will not automatically wake up heavier the next day if you have a few slices of pizza. That's not how it works. And yet again she's talking about panic. So far, every post about "The Growl" has made a reference to panic.

Instead of talking about how to move past slip ups when dieting, Gwen waves the stick around. Satan whispering in my ear is never been a fear of mine so I can cross that off my list, and my husband has more to worry about if I haven't eaten. Hangry is real.

It's concerning that this actually works with some people. It would take a fragile mind to buy the jump from overeating to satan ruining your entire life.

It falls under emotional control .  

8. Phobia indoctrination: inculcating irrational fears about leaving the group or questioning the leader’s authority 
   a. No happiness or fulfillment possible outside of the group 
   b. Terrible consequences if you leave: hell, demon possession, incurable diseases, accidents, suicide, insanity, 10,000 reincarnations, etc.
   c. Shunning of those who leave; fear of being rejected by friends, peers, and family 
   d. Never a legitimate reason to leave; those who leave are weak, undisciplined, unspiritual, worldly, brainwashed by family or counselor, or seduced by money, sex, or rock and roll 
   e. Threats of harm to ex-member and family 

http://old.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php#emotional

• I Agree 1

You need to stop following man-made rules and to go read the Gwen-made rules on the Weighdown websites.

Spoiler

How to Make the Transfer from a Focus on Food to God

November 16, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

When you diet, you are following man-made rules, because they are your rules. When you make that choice, you are not committed to following God or Christ because you are making the choice to follow man-made rules, and you cannot have it both ways.

When you feel an urge to eat and you are not hungry, it is hunger for God! Go to His Word or the WeighDown Facebook page or your class workbook. Do not hang out near food. Get it out of your purse, office, desk, and/or car. Do not depend on food.  Do not long for the food. Do not look for the food. Pray “God, clean up my mind.” Pray, “God, in the name of Jesus Christ, take away this nagging head hunger, this longing, and turn that back into a longing to be inside Your will and to have Your approval. Amen.”

The whole concept is that you are changing your lifestyle. Why? Dieting allows you to stay in love with the food. End the diet, and get under “God’s control,” and you will love God. That is the transfer

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

13 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

When you diet, you are following man-made rules, because they are your rules. When you make that choice, you are not committed to following God or Christ because you are making the choice to follow man-made rules, and you cannot have it both ways.

So every diet except Gwen's diet is against god? 

I'm positive that when Gwen talks about diets she means things like Atkins, WW, or fad dieting. What about a diet tailored for you by a nutritionist? 

13 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

The whole concept is that you are changing your lifestyle. Why? Dieting allows you to stay in love with the food.

I agree that healthier eating habits are easier to stick to when you make it about lifestyle changes rather than just dieting. 

It's not sinful to enjoy eating and there is nothing wrong with loving food. Loving food does not mean that you are automatically a sad fatty that hides food in your purse and panics around scales. Gwen is so full of herself that she truly believes that looking like a starved baked potato is everyone's goal and you can't be happy if you're not.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

So every diet except Gwen's diet is against god? 

I'm positive that when Gwen talks about diets she means things like Atkins, WW, or fad dieting. What about a diet tailored for you by a nutritionist? 

I agree that healthier eating habits are easier to stick to when you make it about lifestyle changes rather than just dieting. 

It's not sinful to enjoy eating and there is nothing wrong with loving food. Loving food does not mean that you are automatically a sad fatty that hides food in your purse and panics around scales. Gwen is so full of herself that she truly believes that looking like a starved baked potato is everyone's goal and you can't be happy if you're not.

And contrary to what Gwen teaches, you CAN love multiple things because there are different kinds of love. I can LOVE a loaded baked potato and still love my husband and kids and God. She frames it as "you love food more than God" and that's ridiculous... aside from those who have eating disorders who may truly put every minute of their life into food, most of us have no problem giving our ultimate love to God while still very much being excited about dinner at Olive Garden.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

And contrary to what Gwen teaches, you CAN love multiple things because there are different kinds of love. I can LOVE a loaded baked potato and still love my husband and kids and God. She frames it as "you love food more than God" and that's ridiculous... aside from those who have eating disorders who may truly put every minute of their life into food, most of us have no problem giving our ultimate love to God while still very much being excited about dinner at Olive Garden.

3 Greek words for love.  Excuse the likely spelling errors.

Phileo

Agape

Eros

And I don't know if any of them CAN EVEN APPLY to food.

• I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

Phileo

Agape

Eros

I think Storge is another Greek word for love too! 

Then again, this is the woman who talks about how "hot" God is and how Jesus is the ultimate boyfriend or something like that (I can't remember the exact quotes). She clearly doesn't understand appropriate types of love and all that.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, WeirdHarold said:

Phileo

Agape

Eros

Oh goodness, Gwen went on a kick for a while discussing the types of love according to the Greeks. It was painful and everyone acted as if they knew the original Greek and were experts in the Greek language after Gwen taught about it....it was unbearable. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

Gwen's prayer

Thank you Lord for not having to eat our daily bread today, and bless all our neighbors so they too can enjoy not-eating today. Oh Lord, when you invented food, what the devil were you thinking? 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20191117-123848.thumb.jpg.ef3cc7d9046a7463de674f30999333c5.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Thank You 4

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Gwen's prayer

Thank you Lord for not having to eat our daily bread today, and bless all our neighbors so they too can enjoy not-eating today. Oh Lord, when you invented food, what the devil were you thinking? 

Reveal hidden contents

This reveals such a shallow view of God and what life with Him should be. 

• I Agree 2

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Gwen's prayer

Hide contents

I've been too into the K-pop world lately. I read this and thought, a purging of all idols??? Noooooooo! ?

• Haha 2

When I was growing up I remember being taught that as you come into a closer relationship with God, you begin to want what He wants... but I feel like she says the opposite... if you want it, then it's automatically bad. The only thing you're allowed to want is to literally give every inch of yourself away to those around you. Don't get me wrong, serving is good and necessary, but there is a line...

At one point Jesus didn't let the disciples shoo people away because he wanted to serve them... but he DID, at times, get his alone time. 

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

The skinnier you get the cleaner your house will be. Promise! Because you will need to obsessively, distract yourself from the food to live a life that is not centered on the food!   It will be great! Cross my heart and hope to die!  It is so easy and feels great and that's why you need a lot of conscious, constant effort to forget the pain!

Spoiler

What to Do While Waiting for Hunger

November 18, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

1 Comment

If you want God more than the food, He will be right there with you to help you. He is GOD—He can make this easy for you. Keep running to Him. Remember, the battle is all in your mind, and it feels great to wait for hunger. It also gets easier and easier each hour as you continue. Get a list of all the things you could be doing while waiting…all the drawers you need to clean out, all the cards you need to write, all the rooms you need to clean, all the outfits you need to lay out for the kids, all the people you could encourage. Take it hour by hour—going to God, listening to an audio lesson, going to His Word, singing a song—getting your mind OFF of the food! Say to yourself, “No more of that old life centered around food! I’m ready for a NEW life!”

Keep all of your motives for doing this hour by hour for GOD! This is exciting! You should be excited to find this answer, for if you continue to go growl to growl with small portions of food, then you WILL lose the extra weight!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

On 11/17/2019 at 5:45 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Gwen's prayer

Hide contents

This quote from Gwen brought to mind this song , from way back in my Nazarene church attending days , as a teen .  

So , at least if they weren't aware of how it's being used to promote systematic starvation , as a form of mortification , I could conceivably see how certain people could be predisposed to be receptive to her message , and fall under her influence .  It's just close enough to run of the mill evangelicalism to fly under the radar .  

On 11/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, Blue said:

I think Storge is another Greek word for love too! 

Then again, this is the woman who talks about how "hot" God is and how Jesus is the ultimate boyfriend or something like that (I can't remember the exact quotes). She clearly doesn't understand appropriate types of love and all that.

This is not all that surprising , considering the content of some contemporary Christian songs now of days .  

, and finally the ultimate Jesus is my boyfriend love song  

So , in conclusion , none of the stuff I addressed in this post is unknown to Pentecostalism / Holiness  churches in particular .  It's become so familiar that , while more mainline Christians might raise an eyebrow , more so Charismatic ones will be susceptible to accepting it without question , given the conditioning we've received beforehand .  

2 hours ago, Marmion said:

This is not all that surprising , considering the content of some contemporary Christian songs now of days .  

I listened to all of them, but I didn't hear anything that alluded to Gwen's weirdly inappropriate description of God as her boyfriend and being "hot" in "Oceans" and "I Want to Know You." Which verses were you thinking of?

(And honestly, I'm beyond exhausted and probably had a few too many drinks, so it's possible I'm just not in a critical thinking state of mind right now, lol!)

Edited by Blue
  • Haha 1

It is assumed that you have to lock up your fridge and throw away the key to keep from bingeing all night. 

Spoiler

How to Pass Your Tests with Food and Overeating

November 19, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

The main thing to focus on when you are struggling is obedience to God with hunger and fullness. When you are tempted to overeat, remember that eating too much wears you out. It robs you of your time, your finances, your relationships, your self-esteem—and puts a wedge between you and others. This food has not been a good “god” or a good friend at all. It has made you its slave, and it has demanded that you bow down to it all the time. You have been a slave to the food, and it has made you empty. Notice that you are still looking for a feeling to fill you up even after you have overeaten. But when you are tempted, just go into your room, get on your knees and pray, “O God, please help me pass this test. Help me to see that I CAN do this, and help me to set a great example for others. Help me to prove it to myself that I love You more than that food. Help me through this hour of testing. Please, O God, deliver me from this temptation and show me the Kingdom work You have planned for me to do tonight instead.” Then as you pray that, God will allow you to get distracted through those tempting hours, and you will look up and you will have made it through the nighttime hours! You will get to wake up the next morning and start your day over right and you will be so happy that you passed through your test!

Gwen has just now updated her copyright to 2019. It used to be 2018 very recently.

• Thank You 7

I check in on FJ daily.  I don't have it saved in my favorites because the pages always change.  My computer defaults to Bing (FYI).  I type in the search bar "Gwen Lara wine".  I do this EVERY DAY.  Today, nothing.  FJ did not come up AT ALL.  For the first 4-5 pages all I found was pro Gwen stuff.  I went through 8 pages.  I changed the search to the whole title adding Free Jinger.  Still nothing.  I changed the search engine to Google and it showed up immediately.  Very strange....

• Confused 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 5

22 hours ago, Blue said:

I listened to all of them, but I didn't hear anything that alluded to Gwen's weirdly inappropriate description of God as her boyfriend and being "hot" in "Oceans" and "I Want to Know You." Which verses were you thinking of?

(And honestly, I'm beyond exhausted and probably had a few too many drinks, so it's possible I'm just not in a critical thinking state of mind right now, lol!)

I have heard of some people criticizing such songs as constituting examples of   " Jesus is my boyfriend "   , given how intimate , and arguably romantic they sound , was all I was getting at . Some do not feel that this is appropriate , but you are certainly entitled to your own opinion.  http://pomomusings.com/2010/01/06/bad-praise-music/   , https://www.solasisters.com/2011/09/warning-about-jesus-is-my.html

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Marmion said:

I have heard of some people criticizing such songs as constituting examples of   " Jesus is my boyfriend "   , given how intimate , and arguably romantic they sound , was all I was getting at . Some do not feel that this is appropriate , but you are certainly entitled to your own opinion.  http://pomomusings.com/2010/01/06/bad-praise-music/   , https://www.solasisters.com/2011/09/warning-about-jesus-is-my.html

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - I was just curious what parts of those song stood out to you in that way. Everyone has their own opinion... I grew up with friends who couldn't listen to Christian rock because it was too loud to possibly be godly ? 

On 11/19/2019 at 5:29 PM, Insightful said:

I check in on FJ daily.  I don't have it saved in my favorites because the pages always change.  My computer defaults to Bing (FYI).  I type in the search bar "Gwen Lara wine".  I do this EVERY DAY.  Today, nothing.  FJ did not come up AT ALL.  For the first 4-5 pages all I found was pro Gwen stuff.  I went through 8 pages.  I changed the search to the whole title adding Free Jinger.  Still nothing.  I changed the search engine to Google and it showed up immediately.  Very strange....

It says on the bottom of the page that some results have been removed. Perhaps Gwen made a complaint? 

Today we learn that eating is evil but I guess I'm good, I'm  not going to get up from a perfectly good sleep just to eat. 

Spoiler

Obedience to God All Hours of the Night and Day

November 20, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Remember, if you are still struggling with overeating, one huge thing to avoid is getting up in the middle of the night to eat. You have made it through the day with being aware of what you are doing…but in the night, you must not get distracted, lose focus and run to the food. You may want to keep Psalm 36. “Even on his bed he plots evil…”close by as a reminder.  But this cannot be about you controlling. It must be about you surrendering to God. It must be about laying this idol of food down. It is all about laying this love and greed for food down—and gaining a relationship with God! Keep reminding yourself: “I am NOT going back to control and overeating…I’ve got to make some serious, lifetime changes. I’ve got to be a different person. I’m going to surrender all these hours over, including the nighttime hours, to GOD and doing His will.”

• Thank You 7

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

It says on the bottom of the page that some results have been removed. Perhaps Gwen made a complaint? 

Today we learn that eating is evil but I guess I'm good, I'm  not going to get up from a perfectly good sleep just to eat. 

Hide contents

Obedience to God All Hours of the Night and Day

November 20, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Remember, if you are still struggling with overeating, one huge thing to avoid is getting up in the middle of the night to eat. You have made it through the day with being aware of what you are doing…but in the night, you must not get distracted, lose focus and run to the food. You may want to keep Psalm 36. “Even on his bed he plots evil…”close by as a reminder.  But this cannot be about you controlling. It must be about you surrendering to God. It must be about laying this idol of food down. It is all about laying this love and greed for food down—and gaining a relationship with God! Keep reminding yourself: “I am NOT going back to control and overeating…I’ve got to make some serious, lifetime changes. I’ve got to be a different person. I’m going to surrender all these hours over, including the nighttime hours, to GOD and doing His will.”

I know we've discussed this before, but I think it's becoming even more and more clear that Gwen either does now, or has in the past, suffered from an eating disorder of some sort.

The majority of people do not wake up in the middle of the night to eat. Those who do often have an unhealthy relationship with food and are in need of counseling or other profession help - not being spiritually shamed into anorexia.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

C.S. Lewis had an interesting take on gluttony. Here's a link to a great article. If you don't care to read the entire piece, the first two paragraphs (barely 6 lines) give you the gist.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/cs-lewis-deadly-sin-gluttony

I would say that Gwen's excessive concern for how often and how much you eat would definitely classify as well. She may not eat much but she is definitely obsessed with food and eating. Or rather no food and not eating. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

If you're a skinny person you can make a difference. If you stop eating you will be important. If you stick to Gwen's anorexia cult God will love you. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20191121-170526.thumb.jpg.5e15b7c518e584a4e0e9d7e7bf0f090a.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

My belief is that you have such an impact on so many people with your unbelievable, great personalities...

I just love trying to unpack her sentences.  I like the use of "unbelievable" here.  Losing weight leads to having a great personality--unbelievable! 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I just love trying to unpack her sentences.  I like the use of "unbelievable" here.  Losing weight leads to having a great personality--unbelievable! 

Right?! Somehow being her version of beautiful and thin makes you a better person? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic