IGNORED

Multiplying at Warp Speed: Upcoming Babies 15

Bethella

Ellie Bridget?  Ellie is Short for Eleanor which means simply “the Other/Daughter of Aenor”and the meaning of Aenor is unknown. Bridget means “exalted one”

Colton is an Anglo Saxon name meaning “Colas Town” don’t know where they got the friend part.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Ellie Bridget?  Ellie is Short for Eleanor which means simply “the Other/Daughter of Aenor”and the meaning of Aenor is unknown. Bridget means “exalted one”

Colton is an Anglo Saxon name meaning “Colas Town” don’t know where they got the friend part.

Jeb maybe? But Jeb is either a nickname for Jacob, which the Bible says means "supplanter" but could mean "may God protect", or it's from the initials of a confederate general who went by Jeb. That latter origin would make more sense from the Bateses' background. 

13 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Jeb maybe? But Jeb is either a nickname for Jacob, which the Bible says means "supplanter" but could mean "may God protect", or it's from the initials of a confederate general who went by Jeb. That latter origin would make more sense from the Bateses' background. 

I think they might be deriving Jeb from Jebediah, which Google tells me is a variation on Jedediah, which does mean beloved friend (of G-d). But that's a stretch. 

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

You have to wonder 8f there is any resentment over the fact that M names are basically off the table for any other sibling or if one day one of them will say fuck it and name their kid with an M.

I don't think M names have to be off the table. Anna has apparently already said she probably won't use Mary, and I feel like if she were going to use Michelle she would have already, and she's not likely to have more than another 5-6 kids, right? So other Duggars could totally use Monica, Melody, Marcia, or whatever, but Anna would still have countless more, Miriam or Moira or Megan or Melissa or Margaret or Maureen or Mallory or Mindy or Mia or Maya or Muriel, etc. (Completely random M names off the top of my head. And I know some of them are pretty dated.)

That only accounts for girls, of course, but with all the baby girls coming it's girl names that are on my mind.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, meee said:

I think they might be deriving Jeb from Jebediah, which Google tells me is a variation on Jedediah, which does mean beloved friend (of G-d). But that's a stretch. 

When it comes to the Bates family and name meaning, they stretch like Stretch Armstrong. 

Hopefully someone remembers that toy from my childhood ;)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, meee said:

I don't think M names have to be off the table. Anna has apparently already said she probably won't use Mary, and I feel like if she were going to use Michelle she would have already, and she's not likely to have more than another 5-6 kids, right? So other Duggars could totally use Monica, Melody, Marcia, or whatever, but Anna would still have countless more, Miriam or Moira or Megan or Melissa or Margaret or Maureen or Mallory or Mindy or Mia or Maya or Muriel, etc. (Completely random M names off the top of my head. And I know some of them are pretty dated.)

That only accounts for girls, of course, but with all the baby girls coming it's girl names that are on my mind.

I think Anna said she won't use Mary because Meredith is sometimes called meri

Edited by Ivycoveredtower
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I think the meaning of names is important, and I wouldn't just want to name my kid something because I liked the sound of it (though that does matter to me). For example, I think the name Portia sounds beautiful, but it means "pig". I don't want to name my daughter "pig". 

Fun Fact: The twentieth governor of Texas was a man named Jim Hogg. He named his daughter (seriously, he did this), Ima. Her name was Ima Hogg. 

7 hours ago, smittykins said:

Wasn’t “Allison” originally male?(I know it’s Drew Carey’s middle name).

Richard Gere has his mother’s maiden name as a middle name. It’s Tiffany. His middle name is Tiffany. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

Richard Gere has his mother’s maiden name as a middle name. It’s Tiffany. His middle name is Tiffany. 

I did not know this till I was watching Schitt's Creek. One of the characters says to another, "Did you know that Richard Gere's middle name is Tiffany?!" I immediately had to look it up, and sure enough. It's Tiffany.

• Haha 2

Middle name are where you can go weird. Spurgeon should be a middle name. Heistheway should be a middle name. My husband has a very weird middle name and practically no one even knows. It’s no big deal to have a weird middle name.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Unfortunately, once a name becomes more popular amongst girls, people use it much less for boys. Because in our culture, it’s ok for a girl to have a “boy name, wear boy clothing, or enjoy boy toys” but it’s not as accepted for a boy to have a “girl name, wear girl clothing, or play with girl toys.”

I am not making any comments on specific people. Just a general cultural trend which I think is rooted in sexism.

1000% this. It’s also why if you look at the percentages of girls born recently with a top 50 name, they’re noticeably lower than the percentages of boys with a top 50 name. Because there are just fewer boys’ names in the pool, since names go from boys to unisex to “gone to the girls”. It’s not often that you meet a male Courtney or Ashley or Kim, but no one has started naming their sons Elizabeth or Margaret or Sophie.

I just picked up the nearest baby name book and turning to just to the S section  found these names that were originally boys’ names: Sharon, Sacha/Sasha, Shelley, Sheridan, Sloan, Stacey. I couldn’t see any listed for boys or unisex that began as girls’ names, although I’m sure the rule has exceptions somewhere.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

My favourite made-up name meaning was my old boss who explained to me that his daughter’s name was spelled Maddeison with “dei” as a reference to “deity” so that her name meant “beautiful flower of God”. I forget how he wrangled “mad” and “son” into beautiful flower. Something to do with Dolley Madison I think. Or one of her middle names. Anyway, it was a very impressive stretch to get away from the “son of Matthew” meaning.

But I am a person who cares about meanings when naming my own kids. I liked the name Claudia but couldn’t give my child a name meaning “lame”, and I liked Ronan but felt the meaning (little seal) was too lacklustre.

• Upvote 2

See I know whenever I have kids that I probably won’t announce the name until birth most likely just because of how my family has been about names. My cousin liked a lot of unisex names for her daughter and my family said they were all boys names and weren’t  suitable for a little girl. I have the opposite problem. My favorite boy name is one that is now more associated with girls but started as a male name and has a masculine meaning. I like name meanings but they aren’t an end all be all for me. My name has very Christian meanings despite the fact that my family is not at all religious and my brother has a cool German middle name that was a family surname. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Smee said:

I couldn’t see any listed for boys or unisex that began as girls’ names, although I’m sure the rule has exceptions somewhere.

The only one I can think of is Evelyn. 

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Evelyn is used on boys?? Really? I’ve met several Evelyns (it’s one of those names that currently covers both a lot of people under 8 and a lot of people over 80), all of them girls/women. Google tells me it WAS used as a boy’s name for a while, but is it still in use on boys?

I did just read an article that tells me Dexter was originally a girl’s name.

Edited by Smee

6 hours ago, adidas said:

Evelyn is also a last name, which I think is how it came to be used for boys. 

Edited by anjulibai
  • Thank You 1

Seems to me if you must  to wrestle a profound and nonexistent meaning out of name you would just find an already existing name you love with that approximate meaning. 

LM Montgomery used Beverly and Shirley for male characters. No way that would fly now.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Smee said:

Evelyn is used on boys??

Absolutely. It was probably more popular in Britain but up through the 1920s or so, it was equally or more likely to be a boy's name than a girl's.

Add to that list Joyce, which also used to be a male name through the early 20th century -- think that Joycelyn may be the female version.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

@Smee I think @hoipolloi is right regarding the greater popularity in Britain. Every Evelyn I could immediately think of is a British citizen. Evelyn (historically pronounced with a hard "E" at the beginning for boys, though I'm sure that it's never been hard and fast rule) is a name that was pretty well-known and common for boys until about WWII. There are a number of notable male Evelyns. Sir Evelyn de Rothschild is still alive, and is the third or fourth member of his family to bear the name. Evelyn Baring, who held a number of posts in Egyptian government during Victorian imperialism. (The first one I thought of, thanks to being a lifelong fangirl of Elizabeth Peters.)  And of course, Evelyn Waugh, perpetrator of satire, and author of Brideshead Revisited.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Absolutely. It was probably more popular in Britain but up through the 1920s or so, it was equally or more likely to be a boy's name than a girl's.

Add to that list Joyce, which also used to be a male name through the early 20th century -- think that Joycelyn may be the female version.

From 1900 to 1955 george was in the top 1000 names in the USA for girls 

That’s interesting.  I would have thought Georgia or Georgina more likely but Now that you mention it In Roots one of Girls   was Named Bertha George after her Grandfather Chicken George. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

From 1900 to 1955 george was in the top 1000 names in the USA for girls 

I would just add a tiny note of caution that, while I’m sure there were parents who deliberately named their daughters George, some of those supposed female Georges were probably clerical errors.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Middle name are where you can go weird. Spurgeon should be a middle name. Heistheway should be a middle name. My husband has a very weird middle name and practically no one even knows. It’s no big deal to have a weird middle name.

Am I reading this right?? This is a first name? 

The name Christian in the English speaking world was originally used for females predominantly before becoming almost exclusively male.

I think Cruz was also used as a first name in Spanish speaking countries for females more than males but had already mostly moved to masculine before Cruz Beckham was born. But Spanish speaking and Catholic countries are a bit more fluid with gendered names as it is when there is a strong religious association with the name (e.g. Maria or Marie as a component of male names). 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I would just add a tiny note of caution that, while I’m sure there were parents who deliberately named their daughters George, some of those supposed female Georges were probably clerical errors.

That’s a very good point.  My grandmother was born in 1920 in West Virginia, and was the first girl in a family of boys.  Her birth certificate listed her as Baby Boy Scott (their last name) until she finally corrected it as an adult.

on the male/female name subject, my daughter had 2 boys named Adrian in her first grade class.

• Upvote 2

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic