IGNORED

Multiplying at Warp Speed: Upcoming Babies 15

Bethella

The name Addison for a girl has a three-fold problem for me as a name nerd. The first being that it makes me think of Addison's Disease; the second that means 'son of Adam' and the feminist in me doesn't like overtly male routed surnames as female first names because women are strong without any etymological connection to men; the third is that it will be terribly dated to the 2000s so this Addison is on the downward spiral. Think being named Tracy in the 1980s (as a female).

That being said, Addison is a fine name. The Grey's/Private Practice character is bad ass and Addy is a cute enough nickname. I even knew an over 80 yr old female Addison (maiden name in her family) who was so amazing the association makes it impossible to hate.

But still super boring. ?

Wish them/her all the happiness though.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

News from the Klein family: Abigail (Klein) and Jebi Koilpillai will have another baby on Mai 2020, they annouced it on their 2nd  anniversary... Their first child, Annah, was born on January 2019... According Jebi's FB.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Aine said:

The name Addison for a girl has a three-fold problem for me as a name nerd. The first being that it makes me think of Addison's Disease; the second that means 'son of Adam' and the feminist in me doesn't like overtly male routed surnames as female first names because women are strong without any etymological connection to men; the third is that it will be terribly dated to the 2000s so this Addison is on the downward spiral. Think being named Tracy in the 1980s (as a female).

That being said, Addison is a fine name. The Grey's/Private Practice character is bad ass and Addy is a cute enough nickname. I even knew an over 80 yr old female Addison (maiden name in her family) who was so amazing the association makes it impossible to hate.

But still super boring. ?

Wish them/her all the happiness though.

I’m betting they will just call her Addy all the time when she gets older. Every Addison I know goes by Addy. I prefer the cute nick name Addy over Addison. But then I wish they would have gone with Adeline, Adele, or Adalyn if they wanted a girl to call Addy. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

My first thought when I read the name "Addison" was that it was a male name and why would the Duggars (pink and bows for girls) give a daughter that name?  It's also pretty close to "Madison" and "Allison", so I keep thinking one of those.  It's a straightforward spelling, though, and "Addy" is cute.

Wonder if they're going for a double letter theme.  There's also the fact that Austin and Joy's children's names begin with the same letters.  I strongly suspect that their next children's names will NOT begin with the letter "Y", however.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

Addison is not a male name anymore though. It was #35 for female name popularity in the US 2018 (peaked at #11 in 2007 and 2010) and hasn't been in the top 500 names for boys since at least 1900. 

I've mentioned this before but I wanted to name a son Robin (after Robin Williams and Christopher Robin), and literally everyone (including my husband) has said no freaking way because that's a girl's name now. Like Ashley. And Taylor is going that way too. Addison already has. 

I'm really surprised by their choice, and it's not my personal style, but I do like it. 

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Wasn’t “Allison” originally male?(I know it’s Drew Carey’s middle name).

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 2

Joe and Kendra probably chose the name Maddison but realised they couldn't use that name for obvious reasons so removed the 'M'

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

Joe and Kendra probably chose the name Maddison but realised they couldn't use that name for obvious reasons so removed the 'M'

You have to wonder 8f there is any resentment over the fact that M names are basically off the table for any other sibling or if one day one of them will say fuck it and name their kid with an M.

Also with so many babies being born I wonder if they discuss names or keep them secret until birth. For example in the us article with John and Abby they say they already have a name picked out but are not sharing it yet. Well I wonder if they share it with the other pregnant sister they are due last and that would really suck if someone used the name they had picked out.

24 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Meredith and Mackenzie were also originally Male names

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Allison is a very old diminutive of Alice, which was always a female name. No idea how it became Drew Carey's middle name, but it does have a distinctly feminine origin and is one of the few -son names that don't mean "son of - "

ETA: I wouldn't name my daughter Meredith because it means "great lord" or Mackenzie because it means "son of Kenneth". I know a lot of originally male names have become distinctly female, but I think it's telling that there aren't really any female names that have become distinctly male. At most, some names become unisex. 

For the record, my first and middle names are both originally male names, but are now pretty much considered only female names. I'm just glad neither mean "son of - " or has a distinctly male meaning. 

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

48 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Depends. Allison was originally a surname, but it’s almost always used as a variant of Alison, which was always a female name. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I know a boy named Addison. His parents chose the name because the father is named Adam and Addison means son of Adam. 

• Upvote 4

This came out more BEC than I intended but I’m going to leave it how I wrote it. 

There are probably times where someone (coughLaurencough) would make it clear their kid is going to be named [fill in the blank] so no one else takes it, but there’s probably some amount of “first come first serve” to names in that family, too. If it happens someone else was going to use that name, too bad so sad, they can come up with a different name. 

I like the name Addison, to me it is a classy name (and it reminds me of Greys Anatomy!) I was always a bit envious of the name Addison Forbes Montgomery Shepherd lol.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Allison is a very old diminutive of Alice, which was always a female name. No idea how it became Drew Carey's middle name, but it does have a distinctly feminine origin and is one of the few -son names that don't mean "son of - "

ETA: I wouldn't name my daughter Meredith because it means "great lord" or Mackenzie because it means "son of Kenneth". I know a lot of originally male names have become distinctly female, but I think it's telling that there aren't really any female names that have become distinctly male. At most, some names become unisex. 

For the record, my first and middle names are both originally male names, but are now pretty much considered only female names. I'm just glad neither mean "son of - " or has a distinctly male meaning. 

Unfortunately, once a name becomes more popular amongst girls, people use it much less for boys. Because in our culture, it’s ok for a girl to have a “boy name, wear boy clothing, or enjoy boy toys” but it’s not as accepted for a boy to have a “girl name, wear girl clothing, or play with girl toys.”

I am not making any comments on specific people. Just a general cultural trend which I think is rooted in sexism.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Honestly love the name Addison at one point iij not it was on my list for furture daughters I don't really care about what the meaning of a name is most people don't even know what the meaning of their own name is let alone an random name. As long as the name sounds good that's really all I care about.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Honestly love the name Addison at one point iij not it was on my list for furture daughters I don't really care about what the meaning of a name is most people don't even know what the meaning of their own name is let alone an random name. As long as the name sounds good that's really all I care about.

What’s interesting is that fundies seem be into the meanings of names. The meaning is very often noted when posting about the names they’ve chosen for their children. Recent examples are Jessa talking about naming Ivy Jane after Jane Grey and Tori saying Kade means four.

• Upvote 1

I have friends who are sisters, and each named their second son Ryan. Ryan was also the name I would have used for my own son, but my SIL already used it. Since our husband’s are brothers, the first cousins would have had the same first and last names. At least in my friends’ case, the boys have different last names. Of course in past years, many first cousins shared the same first names.

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s interesting is that fundies seem be into the meanings of names. The meaning is very often noted when posting about the names they’ve chosen for their children. Recent examples are Jessa talking about naming Ivy Jane after Jane Grey and Tori saying Kade means four.

Yeah some do seem to care joy I know mentioned why she picked both her children's names by meaning. And I am sure Lauren's daughter will be based on meaning since  Asa was. Most of the Bates just seem to be what they like with a few with meanings like addalee or Katie  Josh and anna don't seem to care about meanings and I don't think Jim Bob and michelle did either.

• Upvote 1

Fundies like to make up meanings, a lot. The Bateses are particularly bad at that. 

I think the meaning of names is important, and I wouldn't just want to name my kid something because I liked the sound of it (though that does matter to me). For example, I think the name Portia sounds beautiful, but it means "pig". I don't want to name my daughter "pig". 

Edited by anjulibai

49 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Fundies like to make up meanings, a lot. The Bateses are particularly bad at that. 

I think the meaning of names is important, and I wouldn't just want to name my kid something because I liked the sound of it (though that does matter to me). For example, I think the name Portia sounds beautiful, but it means "pig". I don't want to name my daughter "pig". 

What do the Bateses say about name meanings? I honestly can't remember any of them saying anything at all about it. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, meee said:

What do the Bateses say about name meanings? I honestly can't remember any of them saying anything at all about it. Thanks!

Katie grace has five letters in each name because it means something though at this moment its slipping my mind. Addalee sp has double letters something about second chances because she almost died at birth. Those are the only two with means I have heard except Kade which to tori and Bobby means 4 since he is the fourth Robert. I don't think any other bates hasbtalked meaning.

• Upvote 3

I tend to strongly doubt most name meanings unless there's a very clear Latin root or something. I know too many people who claim that they named their kid Braedyn or McKayla because it means "God's Precious Gift" or whatever. Sure, Jan.

I don't think there's anything wrong with picking a name just because you like it and not worrying if it's meaningful. My name has a botanical origin, and I have spent approximately 0 minutes of my life thinking about whether that plant adequately reflects who I am as a person. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

54 minutes ago, meee said:

Most of the kids have some made up meanings for their name. Like, Ellie Bridget for some reason means "Bright Flame", or Jeb Colton means "beloved friend of Coal Town". But if you actually research the origins of these names, they don't mean any of that at all. 

It's odd. Very odd. 

• Upvote 4

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic