IGNORED

Multiplying at Warp Speed: Upcoming Babies 15

Bethella

They almost never seem to try for a baby but lack of birth control and needing to always satisfy their husband's "needs" seem to ensure frequent pregnancies. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

I mean... they are healthy young people who probably have sex regularly and not just always just because he wants to and they don’t use BC. She will be pregnant again sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

I mean... they are healthy young people who probably have sex regularly and not just always just because he wants to and they don’t use BC. She will be pregnant again sooner rather than later.

Generally I think that's true, but what Joy's been through is profoundly sad. Not being very sexually interested might be a part of that. The same could even be true for Austin.

This is kind of a moot point because a lot of peoples' grief does involve sexuality and intimate comfort as well. I just bring it up because an extreme like abstinence wouldn't surprise me in her and Austin's context.

• Upvote 1

I’m also pretty sure that one of Anna or Abbie’s babies will incorporate Mary into the name somewhere, perhaps as a middle name. Anna has already done the mother’s-middle-name-as-daughter’s-middle-name thing with Mackynzie, and I wonder if she’ll do a double M thing (eg Melissa Mary), or if she’ll just use Mary/Marie as the first name. 
Apparently, Jabbie have chosen a name for their baby, but won’t release it until the birth. 
Joy and Austin found out about Annabell at the 20-week scan, which was when they were going to find out the gender, and I wonder if Annabell Elise was always a name they were going to go for, or if the choice might have changed had Annabell not been stillborn. I know that when my mum had a stillbirth at 37 weeks, she named the baby, but she said that it would probably have been different had the baby lived. (She also didn’t find out the sex of any of her pregnancies prior to birth). 

• Upvote 7

I think Anna and Josh will use Mary by using Marie as a middle name. Marie is just the French version of Mary and I imagine that’s why Jana’s middle name is Marie. Lots of M names go well with Marie as a middle name. Madelyn Marie, Mia Marie, Maya Marie, Mallory Marie, Or Melody Marie.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Anna and Josh will use Mary by using Marie as a middle name. Marie is just the French version of Mary and I imagine that’s why Jana’s middle name is Marie. Lots of M names go well with Marie as a middle name. Madelyn Marie, Mia Marie, Maya Marie, Mallory Marie, Or Melody Marie.

As a Catholic school kid in the 90s, it seemed like every single girl I knew had Marie as a middle name. You gotta shoehorn Mary in there somewhere, and I guess Marie is less fusty. 

• Upvote 7

The senior Duggar’s brand is based on bc being evil, but the second generation is having a very different pregnancy & delivery experience than j’Chelle had. I can see many of the 2nd gen rethinking bc, even if they never speak a word about it (looking at you, Dillards). Plus there are a lot of hormone-free options that have a better prevention rate than NFP*.

For Joy’s sake, I hope she said screw it and is using a reliable form of bc until she decides she’s ready. 

*Yes, there are some who use nfp and, because their cycle is so incredibly predictable, it works. In general though I don’t consider nfp as reliable. 

• Upvote 8

45 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

As a Catholic school kid in the 90s, it seemed like every single girl I knew had Marie as a middle name. You gotta shoehorn Mary in there somewhere, and I guess Marie is less fusty. 

IIRC, all of Robert Kennedy’s daughters had Mary for their first name, and went by their middle names.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

IIRC, all of Robert Kennedy’s daughters had Mary for their first name, and went by their middle names.

That’s only slightly less crazy than George Foreman, who has five sons... all called George Edward Foreman. Oh, and a daughter called Georgetta. (He has several other daughters, none of whose names are anything like the name George).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Just one of them. But I have heard of families that did that (all Catholic). 

ETA: Looks I'm wrong, it's two of them, Courtney and Kerry. 

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JMO said:

They almost never seem to try for a baby but lack of birth control and needing to always satisfy their husband's "needs" seem to ensure frequent pregnancies. 

This.

I know everyone is on the "Saint Joy" love train right now, but I am sure she will be pregnant again soon, no matter what she claims. And they will trot out one of the usual fundie one-liners:  1. We were shocked to find out we were pregnant. 2. We never expected to be pregnant. 3. It's such a surprise 4. The Lord has blessed us with expanding our family. We never thought this would happen.

Wash, rinse, repeat every 12-24 months. Sooner, if needed.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I went to college with a Mary. She went to Catholic school her whole life. She was the only Mary in her class but some of her teachers were named Mary (a few were nuns). A few of her classmates had Mary has a middle name. 

NFP/FAM is very reliable if you're strict with it. It's true that a lot of people can't be strict with it (for good reasons), but if you can be, it's good. I also don't think it's too terribly difficult for a lot of people to be abstinent for a long stretch of time if they feel like they have a good reason and there's an end date in sight.

I could see them feeling like abstaining for a period of time for the sake of the mother's health would be fine. I could also see them being okay with NFP/FAM. Barrier methods, maybe. Hormonal? Seriously doubt it. For Joy and Austin, at least. Others who are leaning into more fundie-lite territory might be okay with hormones.

I interpreted Joy's 'trying to be smart by waiting and letting my body heal' comment to mean that she'd really like to get pregnant again ASAP but she knows her chances of having a healthy pregnancy are better if she waits.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, I reckon Joy will get pregnant again fairly soon, too. Letting her body heal is one thing, but mentally getting through the next pregnancy will be tough.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Joy and Austin found out about Annabell at the 20-week scan, which was when they were going to find out the gender, and I wonder if Annabell Elise was always a name they were going to go for, or if the choice might have changed had Annabell not been stillborn. I know that when my mum had a stillbirth at 37 weeks, she named the baby, but she said that it would probably have been different had the baby lived. (She also didn’t find out the sex of any of her pregnancies prior to birth). 

When they first announced Annabell's passing and name I got the impression that their loss had a huge role in influencing their name choices.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2019 at 7:48 PM, Katzchen24 said:

Please oh please could someone start from ‘Z’ and work backwards just to be different. Or is there something unChristian I don’t know about it?

I know it'll never happened but I've wondered what happens if they ever do get to Z and get pregnant again? Do they go back to A? Or follow the hurricane model and switch to the Greek alphabet? After Zoe or Zachary comes Alpha, Beta, and Gamma? Then Delta. Or ABGD names. 

• I Agree 1

A respectably sized Fundy Z themed family with no really Kre8tive names is possible.

Zoe 

Zack

Zane

Zinnia

Zara

Zebadiah

Zebulon

Ezekial AKA Zeke.

Then some obscure but not crazy Biblical Z names like Zilpha or Zipporah.

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I can see many of the 2nd gen rethinking bc, even if they never speak a word about it (looking at you, Dillards). Plus there are a lot of hormone-free options that have a better prevention rate than NFP*.

The problem with BC is that there aren't a lot of acceptable options besides NFP for extreme pro-lifers. All hormonal BC is out of the question because they believe it can cause early miscarriages (the JCaleb story). Combine that will lots of misinformation in those circles on infertility after the pill, links to breast cancer etc.

The non-hormonal copper IUD is the same thing - it can prevent implantation of a fertilized egg thus causing a miscarriage if you consider life starts at conception.

Condoms are frowned upon as a barrier between husband and wife. Spermicides, diaphragms, sponges could all be options but they require prep work and communication. I'm not sure fundie women are that comfortable with their bodies to use them. 

That leaves us with the good ol' pull-out method, which I suspect is what most couples use in combination with some form of NFP to space out babies. I know some Christians are against it because spilling your seed is a sin against God, but different groups have different interpretations of Onan's story. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

PIV isn’t the only kind of sex. There are plenty of ways to be sexually intimate that don’t involve any risk of pregnancy and I suspect many of them figure that out.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

14 hours ago, singsingsing said:

NFP/FAM is very reliable if you're strict with it. It's true that a lot of people can't be strict with it (for good reasons), but if you can be, it's good.

This can be true if  (1) the couple are meticulous in following the plan, (2) the woman has reliably predictable cycles. Many women do not have reliably predictable cycles and many couples are not meticulous in following the plan so fertility awareness based plans are best when used in conjunction with barrier methods eg condoms (which I doubt that this couple are using). Bottom line: Joy will soon be pregnant (unless she had a complication/medical issue with her prior pregnancies) - even if she is emotionally unready for another pregnancy. I hope she gets the support she needs in this case.  I suspect that the support will mostly be "thoughts and prayers" but she has been marinated in the fundie koolaid her whole life so this might be enough.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

PIV isn’t the only kind of sex. There are plenty of ways to be sexually intimate that don’t involve any risk of pregnancy and I suspect many of them figure that out.

Not TAM. She hates the butt secks almost as much as she hates the LGBTQ+ community. Too bad fundies are so against sex Ed. Their kids could learn how to have fun sexually with their partner without risking pregnancy. But like you said, they probably figure it out on their own. Eventually. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jana814 said:

I know someone who named her youngest daughter Noa. Her older daughter has an unusual first name (ILA) she needed in “I” name her honor their mother who’s name was Irene. 

I've never heard of another Ila! It was my grandmother and great-grandmothers' name. If I would have had children, it was a high consideration. My cousin almost used it but had a son. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

This can be true if  (1) the couple are meticulous in following the plan, (2) the woman has reliably predictable cycles. Many women do not have reliably predictable cycles and many couples are not meticulous in following the plan so fertility awareness based plans are best when used in conjunction with barrier methods eg condoms (which I doubt that this couple are using). 

Thus my caveat that it’s very reliable if a couple can be strict with it and that not all couples can. I’m very well acquainted with FAM as I’ve used it myself for a long time. :) 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Not TAM. She hates the butt secks almost as much as she hates the LGBTQ+ community. Too bad fundies are so against sex Ed. Their kids could learn how to have fun sexually with their partner without risking pregnancy. But like you said, they probably figure it out on their own. Eventually. 

I wasn’t even thinking about anal - wasn’t thinking about anything penetrative. I seriously doubt most fundie couples would be okay with anal, haha.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic