IGNORED

Multiplying at Warp Speed: Upcoming Babies 15

Bethella

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

It would be pretty hard to top the shock and wonder I felt 4 years ago when Jessa and Ben announced their first born son’s name. I remember the moment I heard. I thought it was a joke, seriously. Quincy was a far better name.

Yeah, people had been joking about them naming him Spurgeon because Ben seemed so obsessed with Spurgeon, but when they announced his name I distinctly remember thinking, "Holy shit, they actually named him SPURGEON."

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, people had been joking about them naming him Spurgeon because Ben seemed so obsessed with Spurgeon, but when they announced his name I distinctly remember thinking, "Holy shit, they actually named him SPURGEON."

I don't see them going with a name as outthere again. Little Spurgeon is a adorable and does in a way suit his name but I still dislike the name. I am glad he does have a nice middle name that if he chooses he can use. The fact Heistheway doesn't have one is sad, no name would go with it but at least she could have said when older call me by my middle name Mary. 

8 hours ago, LaughingDonuts said:

I’m naming my first human soon (pet names are less important imo) and I’m sure some people will hate our pick. We’re spelling it right (it’s a flower, so there’s kind of a “right” way), and certainly it’s not unheard of as a name, although not terribly common either. And yet some people will hate it, and that’s okay.

I snark on things like Spurgeon though, and I cringe at the Jaxxin I know (Jackson). Most names that aren’t my style are just that-not my style, but fine names.

I'm a pretty big 'name nerd'- I can talk name stats; rapid spikes or rapid declines in usage; etymology; associations that may be connected to the name; will it be convenient for the child to bear considering other popular names at the time and so much more until the cows come home. I love it. But I am the only person in my friend group or family that people talk to reliably about names they're considering because when I'm talking about a real name for a real child, the two most important things to me are: both parents both are super comfortable with the name and/or love the name; and they haven't missed any associations or drastic swings in popularity they may want to avoid and it's a name the kid and parents can live easily with.

Not everyone knows about this obsession of mine and the statistical analyses I perform on names and all the rest, but this who do know that I'll respect what they like and not react with, "EWWWWW! WHY? THAT'S CHILD ABUSE!" or some variation of that. We like what we like for whatever reasons are important to us (sound, meaning, significance etc), and I don't give advice, just facts. The most common 'facts' I offer are usually to do with popularity, because many first or even second time parents aren't very familiar with what is or isn't popular when they give birth and if they are, they might have looked at the Top 10 for their area but not be taking into account that a name they are considering has jumped 300+ positions in the ranking and is looking to continue. Those names are nearly always 'flash in the pan' names that will become dated very quickly. But not all these things matter to everyone who runs a name past me- if they think all that matters to others but it is truly the only name they both love, I always encourage them to use it regardless. You only get a limited number of opportunities to name another human and better it is one you love. But most of my friends and family are tossing around a few potential names, and their short list changes frequently for quite awhile, so sometimes having someone lay out the more objective pros and cons of a name helps them eliminate or add names.

The weird thing is that being so obsessed with names makes me fairly neutral on the vast majority of names rather than being very particular about what I like or love. I think most names I hear are "fine names" and will "serve the child well". That's why I ended my commentary on the name Addison with something to the effect of, "It's a fine name". Because it is. It will serve her well as she goes through life and there is no complication with being a female named Addison in 2019. The complication is more likely to come if the child is biologically male and identifies as such. But no problem for girls despite its meaning. The only thing I'd mention to anyone naming their female child Addison in 2019 is it's declining quite rapidly, just as it rose very rapidly. It will be a 'dated' name. I'm friends with a Deborah and a Tracy who are around my age (30) and it can be frustrating for them that people assume they're closer to retirement age when they see a name on a piece of paper, like a resume. But Addison hasn't declined that far yet and most popular names for both males and females represent a smaller proportion of births as a percentage than ever before (since data has been formally taken). This will somewhat lessen the effect of names becoming 'dated' but not completely. It depends how far a name like Addison keeps plummeting.

ETA: If one of my friends had suggested calling her child 'Spurgeon Elliot', I'd have said, "When you say Spurgeon, all I hear is 'purge' and 'sturgeon'. But especially 'purge'. I bet I'm not the only one who thinks that immediately and people do react to names like that when they first see them and the kid will notice. Most get used to that but it's something to consider. It's clearly very meaningful to you- what about as a middle name? All bets are off with the middle name! It's where you get to go as crazy as you want for whatever reason!"

I'm also pretty blunt (not because of personal preference per se) about crazy spellings of common names. Like the names Aiden (it kills me that Aiden is more popular than the traditional Anglicized spelling, Aidan, in the US) and Jackson would be 1 and 2 interchangeably just about every year for the past decade in the US if you combine all the spelling variants of them. By far. I know this because I did it. Just because your kid is Jaxxon, he won't be unique. When the teacher calls on "Jaxxon" in the classroom or a kid calls "Jaxxon" across the playground, Jackson/Jaxson/Jacxon/Jaxson/Jaxsson/Jaksan/Jaxyn etc will all still look over in case it's them. The only thing it does for individuality is that they'll have to spell it out to people constantly. I don't think spelling names out to people is the biggest concern in naming- I have a very traditional name that has been spelled in a lot of ways over time and I always need to spell it to people. But when you only choose that spelling to make the kid "unique", a crazy spelling doesn't serve that purpose in every day interactions.

Edited by Aine
Adding
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, Aine said:

I'm a pretty big 'name nerd'- I can talk name stats; rapid spikes or rapid declines in usage; etymology; associations that may be connected to the name; will it be convenient for the child to bear considering other popular names at the time and so much more until the cows come home. I love it. But I am the only person in my friend group or family that people talk to reliably about names they're considering because when I'm talking about a real name for a real child, the two most important things to me are: both parents both are super comfortable with the name and/or love the name; and they haven't missed any associations or drastic swings in popularity they may want to avoid and it's a name the kid and parents can live easily with.

Not everyone knows about this obsession of mine and the statistical analyses I perform on names and all the rest, but this who do know that I'll respect what they like and not react with, "EWWWWW! WHY? THAT'S CHILD ABUSE!" or some variation of that. We like what we like for whatever reasons are important to us (sound, meaning, significance etc), and I don't give advice, just facts. The most common 'facts' I offer are usually to do with popularity, because many first or even second time parents aren't very familiar with what is or isn't popular when they give birth and if they are, they might have looked at the Top 10 for their area but not be taking into account that a name they are considering has jumped 300+ positions in the ranking and is looking to continue. Those names are nearly always 'flash in the pan' names that will become dated very quickly. But not all these things matter to everyone who runs a name past me- if they think all that matters to others but it is truly the only name they both love, I always encourage them to use it regardless. You only get a limited number of opportunities to name another human and better it is one you love. But most of my friends and family are tossing around a few potential names, and their short list changes frequently for quite awhile, so sometimes having someone lay out the more objective pros and cons of a name helps them eliminate or add names.

The weird thing is that being so obsessed with names makes me fairly neutral on the vast majority of names rather than being very particular about what I like or love. I think most names I hear are "fine names" and will "serve the child well". That's why I ended my commentary on the name Addison with something to the effect of, "It's a fine name". Because it is. It will serve her well as she goes through life and there is no complication with being a female named Addison in 2019. The complication is more likely to come if the child is biologically male and identifies as such. But no problem for girls despite its meaning. The only thing I'd mention to anyone naming their female child Addison in 2019 is it's declining quite rapidly, just as it rose very rapidly. It will be a 'dated' name. I'm friends with a Deborah and a Tracy who are around my age (30) and it can be frustrating for them that people assume they're closer to retirement age when they see a name on a piece of paper, like a resume. But Addison hasn't declined that far yet and most popular names for both males and females represent a smaller proportion of births as a percentage than ever before (since data has been formally taken). This will somewhat lessen the effect of names becoming 'dated' but not completely. It depends how far a name like Addison keeps plummeting.

ETA: If one of my friends had suggested calling her child 'Spurgeon Elliot', I'd have said, "When you say Spurgeon, all I hear is 'purge' and 'sturgeon'. But especially 'purge'. I bet I'm not the only one who thinks that immediately and people do react to names like that when they first see them and the kid will notice. Most get used to that but it's something to consider. It's clearly very meaningful to you- what about as a middle name? All bets are off with the middle name! It's where you get to go as crazy as you want for whatever reason!"

I'm also pretty blunt (not because of personal preference per se) about crazy spellings of common names. Like the names Aiden (it kills me that Aiden is more popular than the traditional Anglicized spelling, Aidan, in the US) and Jackson would be 1 and 2 interchangeably just about every year for the past decade in the US if you combine all the spelling variants of them. By far. I know this because I did it. Just because your kid is Jaxxon, he won't be unique. When the teacher calls on "Jaxxon" in the classroom or a kid calls "Jaxxon" across the playground, Jackson/Jaxson/Jacxon/Jaxson/Jaxsson/Jaksan/Jaxyn etc will all still look over in case it's them. The only thing it does for individuality is that they'll have to spell it out to people constantly. I don't think spelling names out to people is the biggest concern in naming- I have a very traditional name that has been spelled in a lot of ways over time and I always need to spell it to people. But when you only choose that spelling to make the kid "unique", a crazy spelling doesn't serve that purpose in every day interactions.

In our case, we love the name. I have since I was 17, and the name wasn’t even in the top 1000. It’s climbed to about 400 since, so hardly popular but now less out there. But, it’s been “the name” since we discussed names, and I’m 99% sure she’ll have the name at birth. I also feel most names are fine. She won’t be Heistheway or anything like that, so we’re probably good!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

My husband and I had a name picked out for the first 7 years we were married. Once I was pregnant we decided we didn’t like that name anymore and went with something completely different. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, VBOY9977 said:

Josiah and Lauren’s daughter, Bella Milagro Duggar was born Nov 8th. 

I keep getting the middle names right and the first names wrong. Because these Duggar brides all seem to give their first daughter their middle name. 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Josiah and Lauren’s daughter, Bella Milagro Duggar was born Nov 8th. 

Milagro was easy, but didn’t a lot of people guess Bella too? Clever.

• Upvote 3

Smallest Duggar grandkid yet, 6 pounds and 5 ounces, 18.5 inches long.

• Upvote 7

Bella is a nice name, but I feel like it's kind of weird since Joy's girl was Annabell. 

So, either they are doing ABC names, or ABAB names, or As for boys and Bs for girls? Or just a coincidence? Time will tell. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

24 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Milagro was easy, but didn’t a lot of people guess Bella too? Clever.

People thought she might to an ABCDE theme. So a few B names were guessed. Asa, then Bella, next maybe Christian?

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Bella is a nice name, but I feel like it's kind of weird since Joy's girl was Annabell.

I find it a little weird also.  Not in love with the name...I keep thinking "belladonna" instead of Bella Duggar. 

• Upvote 6

Katelyn Wahlquist confirmed on her IG that she and her sisters-in-law are due in spring of 2020, in the order Elisha-Beth-Katelyn. Kate is due at the end of April, so they can't be too much farther along. All of their bumps look about the same size.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Yes someone guessed it- beautiful miracle. At least with the very meaningful and very positive name, Bella will not be living in Asa's shadow (in terms of naming only!!!) 

• Upvote 5

I’m yawning again. Curious if this is the start of an ABC theme or if that’s just coincidence. I’m glad the kid has a nice enough name, shame she won’t have a very nice future.

• Upvote 2

Please oh please could someone start from ‘Z’ and work backwards just to be different. Or is there something unChristian I don’t know about it?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, anjulibai said:

That seemed a bit odd to me at first, but on the other hand, Joy went with Annabell when there's so many girls in the family with the name Anna somewhere in their name, including herself. I imagine that there's an agreement amongst the siblings to not steal each other's name choices, but nothing stopping them from using a name that's somewhat similar. Like how some guessed Kendra went with naming her daughter Addison because Madison might very well be a name that Anna has reserved for a daughter, not necessarily the one she's expecting now.

I quite like her name, even if both the first and the middle were very predictable.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, AliC said:

Like how some guessed Kendra went with naming her daughter Addison because Madison might very well be a name that Anna has reserved for a daughter, not necessarily the one she's expecting now.

After the Ashley Madison scandal I don't think Anna will call her daughter that. But actually that might also have influenced Kendra and Joe for not choosing Madison.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

She would almost certainly have used Madison eventually if the scandals had not have happened but that’s not going to happen now. Madeline is a safe bet Though.  

I predict a Madeline or a Meghan for sure  and possibly a Miranda Or Melissa in the future. 

• Upvote 6

I’m really hoping Anna doesn’t get to use too many more names because she tops out at 9 kids. And I hope they are mostly boys. But she could definitely have 4 or 5 more girls after this one. I’m just really hoping that doesn’t happen.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

We should have a little breathing room in the baby boom, at least for the Duggs/Bates.  Anna isn't due until thr end of the month I believe.  Erin isn't due until after Christmas but is usually induced/gives birth around the 36 week mark. Abbie still has 2 more months to go and Carlin isn't until February.  Tori is even later than that. By that point we will have more announcements.  Jill is overdue to announce,  as is Alyssa.  And I'm betting Joy will announce in the new year as well. 

• Upvote 8

If the Duggars have one agreement regarding names, it’s probably the banning of the name Madison. Anna won’t use it for obvious reasons, and she might take it as a personal attack if someone else uses it. As for now, the only way there’s a Madison Duggar is if one of the Howlers marries one- and the official Instagram accounts won’t allow a single comment. That might extend to an Ashley, of course.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, JMO said:

We should have a little breathing room in the baby boom, at least for the Duggs/Bates.  Anna isn't due until thr end of the month I believe.  Erin isn't due until after Christmas but is usually induced/gives birth around the 36 week mark. Abbie still has 2 more months to go and Carlin isn't until February.  Tori is even later than that. By that point we will have more announcements.  Jill is overdue to announce,  as is Alyssa.  And I'm betting Joy will announce in the new year as well. 

I think Joy may give herself another 6 months or so with a possible announcement on Annabell's Angelversary. it sounded like in her last interview that she isn't quite ready to try for another baby yet. 

• Upvote 5

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic