IGNORED

Multiplying at Warp Speed: Upcoming Babies 15

Bethella

6 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I know a few Israeli women named Noa. I actually really like the name for a girl, but I think it's too popular now with Noah that I'd likely avoid it if I were to have a daughter in the near future.

I know someone who named her youngest daughter Noa. Her older daughter has an unusual first name (ILA) she needed in “I” name her honor their mother who’s name was Irene. 

36 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I know a few Israeli women named Noa. I actually really like the name for a girl, but I think it's too popular now with Noah that I'd likely avoid it if I were to have a daughter in the near future.

Noah in Hebrew is Noach (the ch is the throaty sound). So Noach is a male name and Noa is a female name.  Also Ariel (pronounced like the letters R E L) is a male name in Hebrew

• Upvote 6

On 11/6/2019 at 5:57 AM, tabitha2 said:

Seems to me if you must  to wrestle a profound and nonexistent meaning out of name you would just find an already existing name you love with that approximate meaning. 

LM Montgomery used Beverly and Shirley for male characters. No way that would fly now.

My Dad who was born in 1943 was names Beverly. He always went by Bev. I never understood why he didn’t go by his middle name. He had a male friend of the same generation named Laurie.

• Upvote 5

On 11/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, anjulibai said:

For the record, my first and middle names are both originally male names, but are now pretty much considered only female names. I'm just glad neither mean "son of - " or has a distinctly male meaning. 

My first name is a boy's name with a kreative spelling. A boy's nick-name, actually. There is a female variation of the boy's name and it uses the same nick-name, although it is not overly common, and those are the only females who go by my name that I've heard of. There is only one other female with my name, as it is spelled and as a given name, that I've ever known of - and it is the person my mom was "inspired" by to use the name. The boy's name has a religious meaning.. My name is just a result of being born in the 60's and I'm glad to know it was just something my mom liked and not due to some meaning. 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Radish said:

My sister-in-laws father was named Lynn. I've never heard of Lynn as a male name before meeting him.

I have heard of men named Lynn. The contractor who did our bathrooms is a man named Ashley & his wife’s name is Jamie. I always thought it was interesting. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Peaches1981 said:

My Dad who was born in 1943 was names Beverly. He always went by Bev. I never understood why he didn’t go by his middle name. He had a male friend of the same generation named Laurie.

I know a few guys named Laurie - it’s short for Laurence. One is in his 20s and it definitely isn’t unusual here. 

• Upvote 1

Are there any rules for naming your child in the US? Where I currently live the name must define the child’s sex (so if you choose a unisex name you have to also choose a gender specific middle name). That means no brand names, no geographical names, no made up names.   Or you prove that the name has been approved before. 

• Love 2

Just now, BrandoBarks said:

Are there any rules for naming your child in the US? Where I currently live the name must define the child’s sex (so if you choose a unisex name you have to also choose a gender specific middle name). That means no brand names, no geographical names, no made up names.   Or you prove that the name has been approved before. 

Not really. According to Wikipedia

Traditionally, the right to name one's child or oneself as one chooses has been upheld by court rulings and is rooted in the Due Process Clause of the fourteenth Amendment and the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment, but a few restrictions do exist. Restrictions vary by state, but most are for the sake of practicality. For example, several states limit the number of characters that can be used due to the limitations of the software used for official record keeping. For similar reasons, some states ban the use of numerical digits or pictograms. A few states ban the use of obscenity. There are also a few states, Kentucky for instance, that have no naming laws whatsoever.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Same here. A friend of mine has 3 names because of that: First name was unisex, so her parents had to choose a middle name which was also unisex... so she has a very common female name as second middle name.

Even tough we have those regulations, the trend of cre8ive spelling has slowly arrived here as well: Someone I know named her son Fynn (Finn is a perfectly normal Nordic name) and my neighbor just gave birth to Lyanne (traditional spelling Leanne/Leanna). To be honest, I just don't get that trend.
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Smash! said:

Same here. A friend of mine has 3 names because of that: First name was unisex, so her parents had to choose a middle name which was also unisex... so she has a very common female name as second middle name.

Even tough we have those regulations, the trend of cre8ive spelling has slowly arrived here as well: Someone I know named her son Fynn (Finn is a perfectly normal Nordic name) and my neighbor just gave birth to Lyanne (traditional spelling Leanne/Leanna). To be honest, I just don't get that trend.

America has a strong individualist streak. It’s good to be unique. Or special. Good different. Not bad different. Naming your child something unique is often seen as good. So if someone loves a name but they think it’s too popular, they use a unique spelling. They think it’s makes their child more unique even though the name is pronounced exactly like the popular spelling. That’s when you see people spelling Olivia “Alyviah.”

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

The one name that really confuses me is “Nevaeh”(“Heaven” spelled backwards).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

“21 feet long”?

(Yes, I know it should be “inches,” but...?

• Haha 10

16 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I have heard of men named Lynn. The contractor who did our bathrooms is a man named Ashley & his wife’s name is Jamie. I always thought it was interesting. 

ages ago, i dated a guy named Lynn.  he would be about 50/51 now.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, hasunah said:

Giants have babies too .

Imagine a giant’s water breaking. It would be an amniotic tsunami. 

• Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

21 feet long gave me a great laugh! Totally honest/easy mistake but so funny.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Because I will use any excuse to talk names (my favourite thread drift), here is a list of those rare girls or unisex names that have “gone to the boys” - note that nameberry’s criteria for this is any name that at some point in history had at least a third of its use on girls but now has mostly boy use (I.e. the vast majority started as boys names and went BACK to boys after a period of unisex use, rather than a true crossover from girls to boys). Also note the names that have some kind of non-American/British cultural use, so the reversal to “boy name” can be attributed to falling out of fashion generally and only really used today by those tapping into a cultural history of use on boys, e.g. Jan and Jean.

https://nameberry.com/blog/unisex-baby-names-going-to-the-boys

Nameberry did a similar post of names “gone to the girls”, but the list was much longer, included many more popular names, and the criteria was for names that began with 100% use on boys and now has 80%+ use on girls. 
https://nameberry.com/blog/unisex-baby-names-names-that-morphed-from-blue-to-pink

It really is a subtle form of sexism that our culture stops using a boys name when it starts to sound too “girly”.

• Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, Nashville92 said:

Khloe Eileen was born yesterday and weighed 7lbs 9 oz per People magazine 

Whitney's babies are very consistent in weight. Khloe's falls right in the middle bradley was 7  10 and Kaci was 7 8

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Smee said:

Because I will use any excuse to talk names (my favourite thread drift), here is a list of those rare girls or unisex names that have “gone to the boys” - note that nameberry’s criteria for this is any name that at some point in history had at least a third of its use on girls but now has mostly boy use (I.e. the vast majority started as boys names and went BACK to boys after a period of unisex use, rather than a true crossover from girls to boys). Also note the names that have some kind of non-American/British cultural use, so the reversal to “boy name” can be attributed to falling out of fashion generally and only really used today by those tapping into a cultural history of use on boys, e.g. Jan and Jean.

https://nameberry.com/blog/unisex-baby-names-going-to-the-boys

Nameberry did a similar post of names “gone to the girls”, but the list was much longer, included many more popular names, and the criteria was for names that began with 100% use on boys and now has 80%+ use on girls. 
https://nameberry.com/blog/unisex-baby-names-names-that-morphed-from-blue-to-pink

It really is a subtle form of sexism that our culture stops using a boys name when it starts to sound too “girly”.

I like talking about name too.

There is very few names begining as girl name to then became unisex and even less that later became boys name.

I saw Germaine as one occurence of "girl to unisex", it's the female version of Germain (the only Germaine I know must be 90 years old french grandma), but it seems that one of the things that allows name going from "girls to boys" (not boys to girls to boys) is that it's not a native name at first.

I think Germaine, Deon and Tristin are the only names on this list that made the switch from girl to boys, I have doubt about Joan, Lavon and Phoenix (I understand they were unisex from the begining) when you compare to the name gone to the girls it's nothing ?

• Upvote 3

I love talking about names, but I usually try to only make positive comments unless the name is super ridiculous. IMO names are so special - they are one of the first things we are given and most parents think deeply about this first gift. If I’m outspoken about my hatred for a name, I feel guilty about possibly offending someone who fell in love with that name, chose it and gave it to their child.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

28 minutes ago, adidas said:

I love talking about names, but I usually try to only make positive comments unless the name is super ridiculous. IMO names are so special - they are one of the first things we are given and most parents think deeply about this first gift. If I’m outspoken about my hatred for a name, I feel guilty about possibly offending someone who fell in love with that name, chose it and gave it to their child.

I would say the vast majority of fundies give their children names that are not horrible. Sure there are a ridiculous amount of the same bible names over and over again. But they aren’t terrible names. However there will always be that 1% of fundie names that make me cringe so hard. And I will never stop talking about how bad they are ?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic