IGNORED

Multiplying at Warp Speed: Upcoming Babies 15

Bethella

2 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I've never heard of another Ila! It was my grandmother and great-grandmothers' name. If I would have had children, it was a high consideration. My cousin almost used it but had a son. 

I've heard of Isla  - s is silent - is Ila pronounced the same way?

I have a little cousin named Ida. It's another one of those old names coming back. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I've heard of Isla  - s is silent - is Ila pronounced the same way?

I have a little cousin named Ida. It's another one of those old names coming back. 

Eye-luh, so I think so. ?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I've never heard of another Ila! It was my grandmother and great-grandmothers' name. If I would have had children, it was a high consideration. My cousin almost used it but had a son. 

Ila Borders played men's baseball in the Independent Pioneer League. I remember when she was heavily covered in the news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ila_Borders

Borders was the first female pitcher to start a men's NCAA or NAIA college baseball game, playing for Southern California College in the 1994–1996 seasons and Whittier College in the 1997 season. She was also the first woman to receive a baseball scholarship to play men's collegiate baseball and first woman to earn a win in men's collegiate baseball.

Her biography, Making My Pitch: A Woman's Baseball Odyssey, is a really good read.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Eye-luh, so I think so. ?

Isla is very popular these days. I'm Australian but live in the US and the name Isla had an exponential rise in Australia in the mid-2000s. I graduated high school in 2006 and I have 4 fairly close friends around my age (+/- 1 year) who have daughters named Isla. When I was a clinician in Australia, I had multiple clients or family cases with a child named Isla. One of my friends with a daughter named Isla, who started primary school (elementary school) in late January this year said there are 2 other girls named Isla in her kindergarten grade of 72 children.

It has been in the Top 10 most popular names in Australia since 2016 and in the Top 10 in the UK since 2012 and hasn't left either one yet. That is per government reported name stats- not a source like Nameberry or a news article reporting a sensationalist Nameberry post titled something like 'Khaleesi and Kylo the most popular names of 2017!'. I made that one up somewhat but Pamela and Linda are masters of the sensationalist headlines and bringing them to the attention of journalists on a slow news day and if you read the article carefully, you realize they're reporting the most searched names on their site in a time frame of 'so far this year' or 'for the year'. But it generates a tonne of traffic to whatever news site posts it because all the older people are like "Kids these days! Child abuse! Give your kid a REAL name!" and then younger people of childbearing age all get insulted and they're like, "I named my daughter Nevaeh and everyone tells me what a beautiful name it is and she is beautiful and clearly I agree her name is beautiful and it's makes her so UNIQUE!" So Pamela and Linda are ? and media outlets are ? and no one cares what the source was. And let's be real, the actual Top 10 names is never super interesting- Emma, Olivia, James, William...absolutely nothing offensive basically ever. You can tell I have absolutely zero issues with Nameberry and its creators and how the media reports on names... ;) 

Returning to Isla...it came out of obscurity in the US in 2008 and was used 493 times that year (that's a jump from outside of the top 1000 names to in the 600s- huge). In 2017, it was given to 2874 baby girls (ranked 103rd), and to 3393 in 2018 (ranked 82nd).

Isla Fisher definitely had some influence and it fits the current zeitgeist of short girls names with prominent vowel sounds (e.g. Emma, Ava), so it coming to more widespread public knowledge collided with it also fitting the cadence and sounds becoming popular. But how rapidly it exploded in use, especially because its pronunciation isn't intuitive, is remarkable. I'm fascinated by names that do that. 

I think it's a pretty name. Too popular for me and I have too many tiny Islas born to friends to add another one ever, but I like the less frilly girl's names having their turn. I think they're beautiful in their simplicity. But I guess my generation really does too so it makes sense haha 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Aine said:

Isla is very popular these days. I'm Australian but live in the US and the name Isla had an exponential rise in Australia in the mid-2000s. I graduated high school in 2006 and I have 4 fairly close friends around my age (+/- 1 year) who have daughters named Isla. When I was a clinician in Australia, I had multiple clients or family cases with a child named Isla. One of my friends with a daughter named Isla, who started primary school (elementary school) in late January this year said there are 2 other girls named 

It has been in the Top 10 most popular names in Australia since 2016 and in the Top 10 in the UK since 2012 and hasn't left either one yet. That is per government reported name stats- not a source like Nameberry or a news article reporting a sensationalist Nameberry post titled something like 'Khaleesi and Kylo the most popular names of 2017!'. I made that one up somewhat but Pamela and Linda are masters of the sensationalist headlines and bringing them to the attention of journalists on a slow news day and if you read the article carefully, you realize they're reporting the most searched names on their site in a time frame of 'so far this year' or 'for the year'. But it generates a tonne of traffic to whatever news site posts it  I think it's a pretty name. Too popular for me and I have too many tiny Islas born to friends to add another one ever, but I like the less frilly girl's names having their turn. I think they're beautiful in their simplicity. But I guess my generation really does too so it makes sense haha 

Are little Islas called Islets? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 22

12 minutes ago, AuntCloud said:

Are little Islas called Islets? Asking for a friend.

I'll ask the archipelago of them in my life and get back to you! ?

ETA: SUPEER weird. I just tried to go to the 'crime' section of People.com and usually my it automatically goes there but I must have hit a button or something and it took me to the main page. No biggie; I'll go to crime from there but I saw one of those crazy stories about a woman (a model actually) not knowing she was pregnant and giving birth to a full-term baby on the toilet. Click on it because those stories are very "wtf" and terrifying to me all at once...and the baby's name is Isla!

https://people.com/human-interest/australian-model-gives-birth-didnt-know-she-was-pregnant/

Edited by Aine
See ETA because weird coincidence
  • Haha 4

@Aine I really enjoy your posts about names, they are super interesting! What I've always been wondering is how get names suddenly popular without parents noticing it? Like my name: I was born in the 80ies and got a very traditional name that wasn't very common then. I was the only one in kindergarden and in school there was maybe one girl in my year (of about 60 kids) with the same name. But now the name is everywhere even with my spelling. Altough the women tend to be 10-15 years younger than me.

(Yes it kind of annoys me because due to being so popular it's considered a very bland and boring name.)

• Upvote 3

I have mentioned on here that I've always hated my "boy" name of Leigh, so I have changed my name by deed poll! I split with the husband in september and hell no was I keeping his surname. So I changed first and surname, cost me £90, for the first time in my life I love my names! I choose my Mothers maiden name for my surname, and as she died in June its a nice memory for me when my name is used.

The first name I choose means weary in Hebrew, it also means cow in another language. So I am a weary cow and its utterly perfect, because I am ?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • Love 6

On 11/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, singsingsing said:

I wasn’t even thinking about anal - wasn’t thinking about anything penetrative. I seriously doubt most fundie couples would be okay with anal, haha.

Well, if there's any weight to rumors of fundie and fundie-light teens being duped by the high pressure of maintaining "virginity"...

Honestly, I give fundies credit for probably figuring out non-penetrative sex. I suspect periods and pregnancy may aid in that: isn't it generally a biblical no-no to have penetrative sex while menstruating? And how many people follow the Duggar's lengthy postpartum abstinence rules? It's the asshole men that worry me: this is dark, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them just straight-up don't respect their wives and just want their dicks to have the final say on what goes and what doesn't go all the time.

As much as I want to think that fundies try to prevent when things get out of hand, I suspect that most of them have simply bought into the philosophy hook, line, and sinker. I, for one, expect Joy to be pregnant again in a biologically reasonable amount of time, but I don't really want to speculate beyond that. I just keep thinking about how immature I was at 21 (I know everyone's experience is different, but that's how I feel about myself) and it makes me feel a pit in my stomach to think about tackling what Joy's tackling during that stage in my own development.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moochies said:

So it looks like Courtney put up her first vlog recently and she looks pregnant to me...

I was thinking the same when I saw it too. It's about time....(for her anyway)

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

I have mentioned on here that I've always hated my "boy" name of Leigh, so I have changed my name by deed poll! I split with the husband in september and hell no was I keeping his surname. So I changed first and surname, cost me £90, for the first time in my life I love my names! I choose my Mothers maiden name for my surname, and as she died in June its a nice memory for me when my name is used.

The first name I choose means weary in Hebrew, it also means cow in another language. So I am a weary cow and its utterly perfect, because I am ?

This is very similar to what my mom did in the early 80s after her divorce from my dad.  She changed both her first and last name.  Her first name, which was fine but perhaps dated ("Phyllis") became an invented name very similar to a Yiddish nickname she'd had as a girl.   Her last name was based on her father's first name (similar to, but not:  "Roberts" if her father's name had been "Robert").

I don't know how much it cost and I realize I don't know why she opted to change her first name -- maybe she just never liked it.  I'll try to remember to ask her on my next visit.

• Upvote 4

Sorry. Didn’t realize until after I posted that the baby’s birth was already announced elsewhere. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, welshdoll said:

Sorry. Didn’t realize until after I posted that the baby’s birth was already announced elsewhere. ?

Discussion in this thread starts on page 13, while the discussion in Josiah and Lauren’s main thread starts on page 11. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I just saw that Tori Roloff had her daughter on Nov 19. Name is Lilah Ray Roloff and of course, she is pictured with a bow and a floral swaddle. I’m glad Tori picks normal names for her kids, but now I’m interested to see what Audrey names her son. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic