Pianokeeper

Sooooo, like, any other FreeJingerites into Korean music?  I ask here out of desperation; I'm twice as old as the average K-pop fan, it seems.  I'm almost embarrassed to talk about my growing K-music fascination with real-life friends, but the rabbit-hole grows deeper daily, and it'd be nice to talk to somebody about my growing obsession. 

Full disclosure:  there appear to be a lot of K-pop groups very popular outside of Korea (BTS, EXO, etc), but my own personal interests are so far mostly (though not exclusively) centered on a K-Band, ONEWE. 

Music video found below:

Spoiler

Any bites?  Anybody else here into pretty Korean boys* in eyeliner? 

*Maybe I should mention that although I like a few Korean girl groups to some extent, I find the hypersexualized/mega-cutesy aspects of the Korean girl group scene fairly off-putting...

Edited by Pianokeeper
okay, could not get youtube embedding to work, trying again

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2019 at 12:03 AM, Pianokeeper said:

Sooooo, like, any other FreeJingerites into Korean music?  I ask here out of desperation; I'm twice as old as the average K-pop fan, it seems.  I'm almost embarrassed to talk about my growing K-music fascination with real-life friends, but the rabbit-hole grows deeper daily, and it'd be nice to talk to somebody about my growing obsession. 

Full disclosure:  there appear to be a lot of K-pop groups very popular outside of Korea (BTS, EXO, etc), but my own personal interests are so far mostly (though not exclusively) centered on a K-Band, ONEWE. 

Music video found below:

Reveal hidden contents

Any bites?  Anybody else here into pretty Korean boys* in eyeliner? 

*Maybe I should mention that although I like a few Korean girl groups to some extent, I find the hypersexualized/mega-cutesy aspects of the Korean girl group scene fairly off-putting...

Well, I can’t say that I’m into k-pop as a whole, but I’ve become quite a fan of BTS—and if you’re twice the age of the average fan, I’m 3 times plus. ? My daughter and her friends (all late 20s/early 30s) are big K-pop fans but again, mostly BTS (they saw BTS on their last tour, saw another group recently and went to a K-pop program at Lincoln Center of all places). I was rolling my eyes at first, since their usual taste in music runs to a lot of avant garde electronic/ambient music, but once she got me to listen and watch some of BTS’s video, I admit I was very impressed. Lots of real talent there. For the most part though, I find a lot of the K-pop culture a little…unsettling maybe? especially the emphasis on “beauty standards” which seems to mean everyone is plastic surgeried up the wazoo until they all look they’ve been computer generated according to a few different models (the Twilight Zone episode “Number 12 Looks Just Like You” comes to mind.) But other than that, I’ve found myself humming BTS songs, have even watched their TV shows Run BTS and Bob Voyage and I have a teensy little crush on RM and Jung Kook, even though I’m old enough to be their grandmother.

I think I have to go listen to some Tool now, just to get my cred back. ?