IGNORED

Lori Alexander 72: Lori Quit Church?

12 minutes ago, Sweet Caroline said:

There is one suggestion in the book where you save all of the plastic rings from your pop and beer cans. You use them to make a hammock for the backyard. Trying to picture Lori sitting on a self-made plastic ring hammock in Door County. 

lol I can't imagine that.  I have wondered if Lori even follows any tips from that book as well tips from Laine's letters. She'll do posts suggesting Tightwad Gazette, Laine's, and a memes about growing your vegetables, and several other tips about being frugal. But, she never gives examples or proof through photos that she is frugal. The only frugal thing I can recall saying she did was making cleaning supplies with vinegar and essential oils. 

I remember reading a blog several years about a couple living in Queens on one income. They weren't fundies and the wife said she decided not to work due to heart issues.  The husband was an IT, but they wrote that he wasn't making the big bucks.  They were very frugal, but some of the stuff they did was very minimalist and a bit a wack a doo. For example, they didn't have a dining room table or a coffee table and using one of those bigger Igloo coolers as a coffee table and they would eat most of their meals on it. I totally get they probably had major concerns living in a high cost of living area. I thought they should have considered moving somewhere cheaper. The blog was eventually scrubbed and I've wondered if they are still in NYC. 

I discussed this blog with my cousin and her husband. Her husband is on SSDI due to mental health issues and he will later access a retirement fund from a job he had for 22 years. Anyway, they live comfortably, but try to find ways to stretch their money and they even thought the Igloo as a coffee table table was a bit weird. 

• Upvote 9

@feministxtian, My dad left us in 2004 and I still cry when I hear Taps played.  I want to tell you how much I admire you, you have been thrown a huge curveball and I can not even begin to imagine how much you have to deal with.  Love and hugs to you.

Lori is such a garbage person. Yeah, we have smart phones. We had to buy new ones this year because the old ones did not have enough memory and were hardly working. Eventually, we might get them paid off!  Hopefully, before they become obsolete.  Mr. Briefly was laid off from his job a few years ago and had no luck finding a job that paid enough to cover his gasoline to and from, so we decided to expand our part-time home based business.  Out of necessity.  Because he works from home, he does some home related chores. He vacuums when it is needed, he cleans the toilets if they need it, he makes sure clothes get from the washer to the dryer and then he usually puts the laundry up.  Lori would probably blow a gasket.  Yes, I work outside the home.  Because we like to eat and have a roof over our heads.  Insurance?  Nope, not at the moment. When it became a choice of paying the premium OR the house payment & car payment, there really was no choice.  Lori would probably not have a clue if she suddenly had to take care of herself.  She's just so, so, so ignorant. And judgmental. And racist.  And whatever else bigoted or biased word fits!  Also, no I do not think she's really a Christian.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 5

37 minutes ago, Briefly said:

@feministxtian, My dad left us in 2004 and I still cry when I hear Taps played.  I want to tell you how much I admire you, you have been thrown a huge curveball and I can not even begin to imagine how much you have to deal with.  Love and hugs to you.

My dad died in 1998....and Taps was played and I fell apart. We won't discuss how the mother reacted though...can you say BITCH? That's how I know I'm going to lose it on Thursday when they play Taps for my husband. 

I still haven't really been able to get past the immense feelings of being alone. I mean, I was his wife, but I was also his caretaker/nurse for about half our marriage. I literally don't know what to do with myself now. Maybe once certain other things resolve I'll see a clearer path for myself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 22

7 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

People were trying to complain about AOC spending three hundred for a cut and color. But if she didn’t get that cut and color they’d judge her for being “unkept and not taking care of herself”. It’s the reality of being a woman. 

Some gossip site was talking about the current first lady flying to New York every 3 days for a hair appointment. Using the presidential air craft and her security detail in tow.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I literally don't know what to do with myself now. Maybe once certain other things resolve I'll see a clearer path for myself. 

If it hadn't been for the fact I had dependent children, I would have fallen apart in days after my husband's death. Keeping their schedule meant I could delay until I felt healed enough to cope.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

This spring, my car broke down on the highway and the repair would have cost more than it was worth. My car guy offered me a new used one and for 2 months I scraped every spare Euro I could find together and with a small loan from a co- worker (a divorced mother of 2, living in sin with her boyfriend, who is not the father of her kids), I had a car again after 2 months. I can't imagine Lori even be able to call a garage to get her towed of the highway, let alone figure out what comes next. My smartphone is 4 years old and running well, so no need to replace. My laptop is even older, but also running well enough for Sims 3, so no need to replace. My brother's income would never be enough to cover the cost of living for us 2. And wellfare isn't also an option, since the expect me to take on any job to end my wellfare dependance, since I'm healthy.

Edited by klein_roeschen
wrote the same 2 times, to early to think clearly
  • Upvote 15

I call bullshit on the feminist not having any plans for a job and trying to find someone to pay off her debt. One thing about young people is most of us assume we’re probably going to be struggling to make ends meet. I don’t know a single feminist who thinks some baby daddy is going to come along and pay the bills. If she did say it she was probably joking. I swear these people think every feminist does gender studies. 

• Upvote 20

5 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I call bullshit on the feminist not having any plans for a job and trying to find someone to pay off her debt. One thing about young people is most of us assume we’re probably going to be struggling to make ends meet. I don’t know a single feminist who thinks some baby daddy is going to come along and pay the bills. If she did say it she was probably joking. I swear these people think every feminist does gender studies. 

And it's always college educated feminists. Like in her upper- middle class privileged world didn't exist any people whitout college degrees or going to college. And since Lori is so great in projecting, I think she was the one who didn't care who paid for her college. And gender studies is the new art history it seems.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

20 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

I remember hearing something similar from my neighbor several years back. We were talking about coloring hair and she mentioned that her niece has been getting henna dye jobs at salon for years after she messed up the first time doing it at home.  

took a little bit of a Lori break this weekend for my sanity.  Re: Lori's hair.   she mentioned in a video over the summer that she was letting it grow longer.   Purely speculation, but I'm wondering if it was because someone called her out a while ago on facebook. There was a debate on head coverings and someone asked why she didn't wear headcoverings and then she said she believed it meant that women were to have long hair. And someone else said she didn't have long hair. And Lori (true to herself) said she did too have long hair. And it went back and forth, and then she finally said "well my hair is longer than my husbands hair." It was one of the most ridiculous FB arguments ever (OK...I stand corrected all of her FB arguments are ridiculous, except the evil ones...those are EVIL)...

It was soon after that she started to grow her hair out.  Maybe in an attempt to appear more Godly?  Coincidence?  Hmm?

18 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

It's been one of my fundie crossover family fantasies in which Lori either has to wife swap with a large fundie family or has to live with them for 30 days. 

OHHHHH please let it be the JRod family......

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 14

Same shit, different day. "Yes, you can live on one income." ?

If the wife stays home, they not only eliminate those expenses from her job, but she can also save extra money by finding ways to be more frugal. I would suggest trying to downsize a car, a home, cable TV, or a cell phone plan, for example. There are a lot of ways we often don’t realize that we are spending money unnecessarily because everybody does it that way.

If she would get out and away from her own insular neighbourhood a little bit, she'd see that not everyone has a huge home and big, nice cars (what kind of car does she  Ken drive, anyway?).  And the 'cut the cable, get rid of your smartphone' trope is really getting tiresome. Next thing you know, she'll be recommending Laine's Letters and The Tightwad Gazette again, both of which were written in a different era. Really, Lori, you need some fresh material. You know, material that's actually practical and usable in the 21st century? :my_dodgy:

• Upvote 16

It seems that she’s writing this nonsense for an audience that includes a lot of working class families.  And she encourages having as many kids as possible.  These people have likely cut back as much as they can. Cutting back anymore would mean getting rid of necessities.  

Her assumptions about the lives of working women are ridiculous, too. Somehow, we’re all wearing designer clothes, driving luxury cars to work and eating expensive restaurant lunches everyday.

i don’t know about the rest of you, but I either wear cheap pants from a discount store or $10 leggings to work and pack a lunch (which I would eat if I were at home, too).  I drive there in my 11 year old car. Of course, Lori is just projecting her own life of luxury on everyone else.  

• Upvote 17

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It seems that she’s writing this nonsense for an audience that includes a lot of working class families.  And she encourages having as many kids as possible.  These people have likely cut back as much as they can. Cutting back anymore would mean getting rid of necessities.  

Her assumptions about the lives of working women are ridiculous, too. Somehow, we’re all wearing designer clothes, driving luxury cars to work and eating expensive restaurant lunches everyday.

i don’t know about the rest of you, but I either wear cheap pants from a discount store or $10 leggings to work and pack a lunch (which I would eat if I were at home, too).  I drive there in my 11 year old car. Of course, Lori is just projecting her own life of luxury on everyone else.  

You forgot the $30 manicures every two weeks. LOL. I have never had a manicure--or a pedicure, or a massage--in my life. Not that there's a single thing wrong with having any of them, mind you. It's just not my thing. 

I've been a SAHM for more than 30 years now. Well, I guess now I'm a SAHW, since my kids are grown. I thought about getting a job once my youngest was grown, but then my in-laws started having health issues and now my mother needs a LOT of care, so that's my job. And I'm over 60 with no real job skills, so there's no point in putting myself out there. But thankfully my husband makes enough to comfortably support us, although in the early years we struggled a LOT. I still have my own dog-eared copy of The Tightwad Gazette! 

I buy a lot of my clothes at thrifts. I do get some new things at Kohl's on Black Friday or when they have other really good sales. I mean, why not get a bunch of nice tops for $5 or less with Black Friday sales combined with their famous $10 off $25 coupons, right? LOL. I drive a 10 year old car, we also own a 16 year old car and a 21 year old pickup truck. Our house is in dire need of updating but it's clean and maintained, and the mortgage payment is ridiculously low, so why on earth would we downsize when we'd end up having to pay a lot more per month? And let me tell you, if couponing at Kroger was an Olympic sport, I could medal for England. :pb_lol:  

Maybe I should go get a manicure...

• Upvote 9
  • Love 9

7 minutes ago, Loveday said:

You forgot the $30 manicures every two weeks. LOL. I have never had a manicure--or a pedicure, or a massage--in my life. Not that there's a single thing wrong with having any of them, mind you. It's just not my thing. 

I've been a SAHM for more than 30 years now. Well, I guess now I'm a SAHW, since my kids are grown. I thought about getting a job once my youngest was grown, but then my in-laws started having health issues and now my mother needs a LOT of care, so that's my job. And I'm over 60 with no real job skills, so there's no point in putting myself out there. But thankfully my husband makes enough to comfortably support us, although in the early years we struggled a LOT. I still have my own dog-eared copy of The Tightwad Gazette! 

I buy a lot of my clothes at thrifts. I do get some new things at Kohl's on Black Friday or when they have other really good sales. I mean, why not get a bunch of nice tops for $5 or less with Black Friday sales combined with their famous $10 off $25 coupons, right? LOL. I drive a 10 year old car, we also own a 16 year old car and a 21 year old pickup truck. Our house is in dire need of updating but it's clean and maintained, and the mortgage payment is ridiculously low, so why on earth would we downsize when we'd end up having to pay a lot more per month? And let me tell you, if couponing at Kroger was an Olympic sport, I could medal for England. :pb_lol:  

Maybe I should go get a manicure...

We have my 11 year old car and two 16 year old vehicles. No car payments. Our mortgage payment is very low, too. 

I only work part time because of caring for a disabled parent. My income pays the electricity, food and other groceries, my personal needs (including a smartphone—horrors!) and cable-internet-landline. 

• Upvote 10

In case anybody had forgotten, Lori wanted to remind us all that she is a racist. It’s all happening on Twitter this morning. 

55F2E7B7-CEDB-46D5-9739-40389CE91BA5.jpeg

• Upvote 9
  • Disgust 6
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

On 10/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, Pammy said:

Totally off topic, but how exactly do you get someone to "update your look" when you don't have the foggiest idea what you want to look like?

Every time I try, people just want me to tell them how I want my hair done, which makeup I want to try, which clothes they can grab in my size... I'm like, "I already know how to buy the things that fit my frumpy-nothing-style! I want somebody who is actually stylish to tell me new ideas that might genuinely look good!" I want, like, a look consultant or something. I hate being 40. And I don't want to wear ripped jeans.

Hire an image consultant ?I did this 12 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I learned what colors work for me, what clothes look best on me for my body shape/size, etc. It has made shopping a breeze now. I just know certain colors/styles will not work so I don't even try them on. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My "luxury" convertible car is 17 years old. The only time when I buy new clothes and eat in restaurants is when I visit my best friend who lives in a major city and that's a very special thread for me. The major reason my brother and I are apartment sharing is the cost. We looked into 2 small apartments for us after our fahter died but they where only slightly less than the rent for the bigger one we share. So the decision was easy. And the rest of the bills like electricity and internet are way lower than when living alone. It's cheaper to cook for two than for one. And if needed I'm able to feed 2 people for one week with the same amount of money Lori would spend on butter alone.

• Upvote 11

Dollar General had some cute clothes on sale a couple of weeks ago.  They had sun dresses for 70% off.  They'll only make it through a few washings, but they were cute and were $3.00 each.  They would have been adorable on the Rod girls if Jill would let them look like young people instead of mawmaws or saloon girls.

Lori subscribes to the judgment day teachings.  She's too puffed up with pride to realize every post, every comment, every snide remark is recorded and she will hear them back when she faces God.  She thinks only "sinners" will be judged, but she will stand there too and account for her deeds.  

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36)

• Upvote 14

12 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Even if it were true that she's looking for a husband to pay off all her loans (which, as someone who recently went through school with a bunch of early-twenty-somethings, I have *never* heard *any* of them say this sort of garbage, even jokingly), why on earth would you tell this to a rando in a grocery store line? Absurd.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

When a wife stays at home, she can cook from scratch rather than eating out, getting takeout, or relying on boxed meals. This saves a ton of money. When she is at home, they don’t have the expense of her commute (gas money, train, or bus fares), her work clothes, a second car (possibly with payment) and all the expenses for its upkeep (maintenance, insurance, and smog checks), childcare costs, and so on. Keeping a job requires a certain amount of expense. It takes money to make money, as they say. So the expenses involved in keeping that job have to be taken into consideration in order to make an accurate assessment.

Not every working mom is buying boxed meals or takeout on a daily basis. Also, Lori don't you remember when you had that fangirl a couple of years ago who posted her almost empty fridge because she had to give her headship his weekly allowance for soda and chew. Some people living on one income might not even be able afford regular groceries. 

I doubt Lori has ever researched train and bus fares in her area or other nearby cities. Some transit companies and municipality companies offer certain passes at discounts which might make easier for working people to plan around their finances and for some people using a bus or train helps their finances quite a bit.  Some workplaces will offer partial or full reimbursements to employees who use public transit most of the time. Not every person is spending a ton of money on gas. Some people drive fuel efficient cars and if they don't live far from work sometimes they aren't spending a lot on gas.  Some families have good reasons to have a second car and I'm betting a good amount of her fangirls' families have second cars. 

As for work clothes, not every woman is wearing designer clothes to work. Some workplaces that require uniforms will give allowances to employees to buy what they need. Childcare varies from place to place. It's possible for some working families not to have childcare costs if the parents work different shifts which would allows them to be at home with the kids during the day.  Family members sometimes will watch kids for free. We all know Lori and/or Alyssa (can't remember which one) watched Ryan's kids when the DIL went off to some business trip. 

17 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

@lilwriter85 she has said sometimes debt (and college in general, men only of course) is needed to become a lawyer, doctor, etc.

I now kind of remember that.  I think her son and son-in-law have a lot of debt from dental school and orthodontic programs. Her DIL attended law school for a year or two and I have wondered in the past if her debt posts are possibly aimed at the DIL. 

• Upvote 13

If your budget is still short after considering all of these factors, then it’s time to start thinking about making money from home. There are lots of options out there. A wife at home can make crafts and sell them on sites like Ebay or Etsy. She could work for a company out of her home (things like medical billing, for example, can often be done from home). She could start her own business. She could buy and resell wholesale items. She could do online tutoring. She could provide childcare out of her home. We need not be bound to the typical career of a nine to five job outside the home.

Lori's DIL seems to have a successful jewelry business via Etsy. But, not everyone could have similar successes and it can be difficult to make money selling crafts because some people will not pay certain prices for things. My mom's friend sometimes sell crotchets baby outfits and she has encountered people who think she charges too much. 

Some work from home opportunities may not work or be available for many people.  Working from home for companies might require set work schedules especially if it's in customer service. Some companies will only hire remote workers if they can provide proof that they have a distraction free workspace with a door and also proof of childcare if the prospective employee has very young children or babies.

Working from home could mean certain expenses are incurred by the employee such as Internet costs, computer costs, and printers etc. Some companies do provide computers and necessary supplies, but not all do.  Also, there are education and/or work experience requirements for many remote jobs and since Lori is against women attending college or working outside the home for experience-- then many of her fangirls could easily be ruled out from those employment opportunities. 

Rich says:

October 14, 2019 at 9:28 am

Most people have no idea how much money they waste, they simply don’t give it any serious thought.
Mothers don’t hit the local resale shop for the kids clothes or buy basic food in bulk and make cheap meals.

Families can take advantage of the economies of scale. It always cost less to feed 5 per person, than 1 per person.

Mom could always drop dad off at work, if that’s possible, to save from a second car.

Leftovers are a great way to save, most people throw out good food every day, it’s crazy.

Where there is a will, there’s a way.
I would say that 80 percent of the time, people could go without the purchase their making or make a cheaper one.

If your entire future depended on it, you could really learn to live without things like: fast food, paid haircuts, oversized homes, luxury cars, junk food, big screen tv, paid lawn care, and so many others.
Dad can do things like, change the oil and brakes, fix the water tank or change a faucet, paint the living room.
Its easy to stop wasting money if you really want to, you just have to be willing to make the sacrifice.
If you want a Godly home, the willingness to save money is worth the investment, to insure mom is there for her husband and children.

I grew up in a two income home and we ate leftovers. My parents hated throwing out food. Plenty of two incomes families aren't wasteful. My dad fixed what he could around the house and with the car. But, sometimes we had to call in professionals or the take vehicles to shops. We didn't live in huge home.

I don't think there is anything wrong with families dining out if they can afford it. I feel  couples and their children deserve to eat out or have other fun things in their lives. Eating out, having nice TVs, and other things doesn't always mean that families are into materialism.  Rich must ignore Lori's restaurant posts from Door County and she had admitted plenty of times that she and Ken eat out quite a bit when they are at home.

Edited by lilwriter85
  • Upvote 11

Adding to what @lilwriter85 said- most practices have someone on staff (in office) or they contract out for billing. My sister oversees billing for a doctor in my town, and she frequently has to attend training out of the area regarding new updates, requirements, etc. Practices are looking to recoup as much money as possible and it requires focus and attention to properly submit. It’s not something that can be done while your children run around your feet. 
I have the ability to work from home now- and did in the past. In my old job, you had to have a childcare plan. In both jobs, I have had to ensure an internet connection and be available to my supervisor. 

• Upvote 11

Just read the comments on the evil working feminists, pt. 4092 post. 

Marie tells us that women need to raise gardens like her great-grandmother did. Apparently, Marie, in all of her self-righteousness, doesn't do it herself. Of course not. Never practice what you preach. It's the Lori-land way! 

I commented, I'm sure it won't make it out of moderation. The main point of my comment: 

My feminist working self raised a garden this summer and froze 14 quarts of beans, canned 28 pints of tomatoes and made 6 quarts of pickles. 

And I forgot in the post the 8 pints of homemade salsa. 

But do go on, Marie. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 6

What's wrong with a mani/pedi/wax/massage? Self care y'all! All this "self-sacrifice" shit is bullshit. I sure as fuck didn't work for vacations and shit. I DO have a fairly new vehicle, but I tend to drive them until the wheels fall off or I'm sick of looking at them (usually about 10 years). This one will probably be the same if not more. 

I don't do gardening...I have a black thumb and it's just too fucking hot here in the desert. I currently buy a bunch of prepared/frozen meals...it's easier and probably cheaper for me. The kid takes care of himself. Yeah, I don't do much housework (see back injury), the kid picks up the slack because he doesn't want to see me in pain. 

Right now, I'm still sort of in a fog, If it wasn't for having ID, I probably wouldn't know my name. Makes driving interesting at best and terrifying at worst. Thing is, even in my current mental state, I STILL function better than Lori 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic