IGNORED

Lori Alexander 72: Lori Quit Church?

On 10/31/2019 at 8:17 PM, PennySycamore said:

African mothers do wear their babies and nurse them on demand,

SOME mothers in SOME countries in the continent of Africa do this. Not all. There are actually middle class African women who work in offices and who do not do this. Don't want to perpetuate a stereotype.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, ladyicantxplain said:

I bought cloth diaper wipes. I bought cloth menstrual pads and overnight menstrual pads. I soaked and washed. Blood everywhere; looked like an old testament sacrifice.  Which, it was, of sorts.

I did this. Cloth nappies, cloth wipes, cloth menstrual pads. I love them! (Well I love the pads. The nappy ship sailed long ago for us). But honestly, it never saved much money. If any at all. It might if you used the same nappies for multiple babies, but my last baby was born after a 5 year gap so I had to buy them all new. For what I spent, I could have bought dozens of packets of disposables. Add in the cost of washing and drying (and my last baby was born in the middle of winter so had to use the dryer a lot) and also the time factor... what is our time worth?

Same as cloth menstrual pads. They're expensive to buy. But I love them because they're chemical-free and way more comfortable than the disposable ones. I also think they're better for the environment, but that's not the main reason I use them. I just find them more comfortable and I have less cramping and lighter periods with them. They'll have to last me at least 10 years to save me any money, though.

• Upvote 10

12 minutes ago, KDA said:

Same as cloth menstrual pads. They're expensive to buy. But I love them because they're chemical-free and way more comfortable than the disposable ones. I also think they're better for the environment, but that's not the main reason I use them. I just find them more comfortable and I have less cramping and lighter periods with them. They'll have to last me at least 10 years to save me any money, though.

I have PCOS and have suffered 30 years with heavy, crampy, awful periods.  As soon as I started making money as a teenager, I used it to buy good pads.  For some reason, tampons makes me sick and nauseated.  As a middle ager, I've only found one pad that I like.  It's a name brand, extra long, overnight, and somewhat thin enough so I don't feel like I have a towel between my legs.  Maxipads are one of the few things I'll spend a few extra dollars on to make me comfortable during a very uncomfortable ime!

• Upvote 11

Another comment from Heather Terry who posted yesterday about how she used to help families. She posts about churches in the UK who help out.  I'm not trying to sound cruel, but I find a couple of these examples to be a bit much especially if these situations go on for years. 

Heather Terry This is a good article but I want to mention something. Before I do, please note that I live in the UK. I know many churches so here is one church example of giving. In one meeting they gave away 3 new cars to unmarried mothers. They bought one unmarried mother with many children a house, she owns it. On a regular basis they pay rent, mortgages, electricity and gas bills, provide food and clothes and much more. It's wonderful to be good stewards of our possessions and money, home made and home grown is always best but we are not meant to leave people struggling in poverty.

Also, a couple of replies to Sarah who mentioned cutting out organized sports and Disneyland. Someone like Barbara seems to think that all one income families would only be able to afford extracurricular activities if the mom the works.  She seems to ignore that her Queen Lori's husband made enough for them to live on one income and that included Lori's kids doing sports, ballet, attending a private Christian school for some years, and probably there were other activities Lori hasn't mentioned.  Not all income families are the same. Some can't afford much extras due to the father's income, family size, or a combination of both. 

Julie- Sarah, What is your children enjoy sports, or other organized activities? My children aren’t athletic, although my youngest takes gymnastics. But my oldest does competitive robotics, which is not cheap, and he participates in a local children’s choir, also not cheap. He’s won the state competition two years in a two for robotics; he has talent. Should he be denied the chance to develop that talent in the interest of saving money?

Julie- if the only way to afford those extra curricular activities would be for mom to work outside the home then they go without. Its about trusting god for our needs and if he doesn't provide funding for things then he obviously deems it as not perfect for us/not something we truly need atm. Often tho, he IS providing for things and we just need to tweak our spending.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

Another comment from Heather Terry who posted yesterday about how she used to help families. She posts about churches in the UK who help out.  I'm not trying to sound cruel, but I find a couple of these examples to be a bit much especially if these situations go on for years.

I can't believe that a church will buy you a house or a brand new car. Help in tight situations, yes, but not such luxurities. And this is why I'm for universal wellfare by the government. You need help, you know where to get it and what to get it no matter your race, gender, religion or political stand. And I was myself depended on wellfare in the past and thankfull for that.

• Upvote 13

Spoiler

E5EF8709-8F3E-4D71-AC74-412B69668FF7.thumb.jpeg.36af7d55412900a3042699caaff0f70e.jpeg

So all that protesting Lori did about believing that women were still created in the image of God was a lie? This is what Tim is implying with his words which are half nonsense. I was just looking through her twitter feed and remembered that big discussion because of the article she posted one time as “something to think about”. 

Also Tim seems....odd and just repeats the same thing in his thread over and over. 

Growing up poor is expensive. All those car repairs or maintenance  you should be getting often go to the wayside because there isn’t 30 dollars to spare. Then eventually something happens and you get one big repair that you really can’t afford. Or paying for doctors appointments etc. I haven’t been to the dentist in years because I couldn’t  afford it. I actually need to book an appointment and get a check up now that I can. I don’t work for vacations or having luxuries. I work to help people. But you know it’s not wrong to have luxuries either. 

All of Lori’s followers have set up an idol for themselves that doesn’t relate to them at all. 

• Upvote 21

1 hour ago, klein_roeschen said:

I can't believe that a church will buy you a house or a brand new car. Help in tight situations, yes, but not such luxurities. And this is why I'm for universal wellfare by the government. You need help, you know where to get it and what to get it no matter your race, gender, religion or political stand. And I was myself depended on wellfare in the past and thankfull for that.

I sort of wonder how truthful Heather's claims regarding those churches. I can maybe believe the church buying cars for people because a relative of mine was given a used car by her church years ago. The claims about churches paying for various living expenses on a regular basis-that I'm not sure about it. 

• Upvote 9

50 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

he claims about churches paying for various living expenses on a regular basis-that I'm not sure about it. 

I am sure just like anything else, all churches do their own thing and afford their own thing and make exceptions.  As a general rule, mine does a one time monetary donation, plus  a cash offering from people as they leave service, once, and then you are given information on how to receive help from food pantries, a few other charities we sponsor (for furniture and things) and Job services.  Plus, if needed, an appointment to the community college to assess you for school, grants, training, etc.   Apparently the good Lord helps those who help themselves. Who woulda thunk??? Oh - the Bible.   Yeah

• Upvote 5

Folasade Olayinka Abiola-durodola writes on Lori's blog:   The Transformed Wife dear Sister, àn average Nigeria lives on less than a dollar per Day here. Even the pastors preaches a woman must have at least a source of income before Marriage, because the man income can hardly sustain him, ( except he is into stealing or corruption).
Here ín Nigeria, ladies that dont work event became a liability, give birth Tó Kids that eventually rún away from Home because they can hardly feed, ó and worst case senario ìs even the husband him runs away because the burden become cumberson. Í am talking about the average person ín Nigeria, not the 5% rich populance you ṣeé your screen. às at today ín year 2019, The minimum wage ìs #30000 for civil servant working for the Govt, thats less than 100 dollar.

I love it. I am so glad that a woman outside of the USA has finally confronted Lori on her fake gospel of privilege.

"Be a keeper at home; it is God's perfect way," says Lori.

But notice this does not work for the vast majority of Nigerian women. I would argue that this doesn't work for most women in most nations, including the USA at this time.

The actual GOSPEL (Good News) is good for any woman, anywhere.  Go on, Lori. Respond to this "dear sister" and tell her that she is "blaspheming God" and failing to submit to "God's perfect will for women". 

I want to see that conversation.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

21 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I once asked Lori if she’d share her budget plan (before she blocked me from Facebook*) and she replied that she did not have a budget because her husband has always made enough for them to live on.  That response alone should have cost her several followers but I don’t think it did. 

*I was blocked when I suggested that she, having the large following that she does, would set a great example by showing kindness to Lysa Terkeurst during her divorce. Clearly, those words we’re inappropriate because she immediately deleted and blocked. 

This is related

https://thingsgodlywomensay.tumblr.com/post/162356279024/lori-alexander-transformed-wife-lies-about

• Upvote 7

I love that Lori and a few select others have been enlightened to God's perfect way and the rest of the world is ignorant.  Of the 7 billion or so people on Earth, only a select few of about 10 or 12 know THE perfect way.  She has nothing of substance to say, so she parrots "God's ways are perfect ways."  

She calls herself the transformed wife...she sounds pretty much the same way as she describes herself as being 30 years ago.  She certainly didn't lose any of her selfishness.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

I know we call Lori lazy but it takes a helluvalot of energy to keep such hate and anger going. I'm seriously lazy, I don't bother with that negative shit. I don't have enough energy for it. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 9

I've twice given away a used car to people that I know through church. But that was a person-to-person arrangement to offer a meaningful gift to people I knew well. It wasn't organized by the church, and they definitely weren't new vehicles.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

@klein_roeschen, I agree with you regarding welfare.  I think that people who are against it don't realize that they could be the next ones in need.  Having to apply for welfare can be very humbling, even humiliating. Even in countries like Germany, where I live and where welfare is for everyone who needs it, the stigma is still there.

4 hours ago, Pammy said:

But that was a person-to-person arrangement to offer a meaningful gift to people I knew well. It wasn't organized by the church,

I think this is probably a lot more common than church organized help and it's even more meaningful because it shows personal care and not some church-required duty. 

I can't think of one church that could afford to buy houses and cars and pay bills for its members on a regular basis. How do people get chosen for that sort of help? 

• Upvote 13

3 hours ago, onemama said:

@klein_roeschen, I agree with you regarding welfare.  I think that people who are against it don't realize that they could be the next ones in need.  Having to apply for welfare can be very humbling, even humiliating. Even in countries like Germany, where I live and where welfare is for everyone who needs it, the stigma is still there.

Thanks to my unemployed parents, I had contact with welfare since my youth. After my mother left my alcoholic father for another alcoholic, I took over to filling out the applications and accompany my father to the appointments. I think that took away alot about shame for applying for wellfare on my part. And I allways had helpfull clerks who took full advantage of their possibilities for helping me. But I was also doing everything to end my unemployment. And there where also very helpfull when an ex- boss of mine didn't paid my last salary. So I'm very thankfull for the german wellfare and I pay happily with my taxes for it.

And I think alot of the stigma comes from the protestant work ethic, where everyone not productivly working is sean as a strain, with maybe only elderly people after working for decades are deserving of help.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

What kind of consultant is Ken? I know he consults dentists on their practices but I am curious to learn more. Did he ever work for a consulting firm or had he always been working for himself? 

Edited by luv2laugh

14 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

What kind of consultant is Ken? I know he consults dentists on their practices but I am curious to learn more. Did he ever work for a consulting firm or had he always been working for himself? 

Here is the "About Us" section from his company

http://www.alexanderandsons.consulting/about-us/who-we-are

It's always seemed vague to me how Ken went from studying for the ministry to touring the country and lecturing about orthodontia practices in a short amount of time.

I have an idea (no proof, just a hunch) that Lori's dad (a medical doctor) got Ken started in consulting because, let's face it, he's making a hell of a lot more money than he would as a minister.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, onemama said:

I think this is probably a lot more common than church organized help and it's even more meaningful because it shows personal care and not some church-required duty. 

I can't think of one church that could afford to buy houses and cars and pay bills for its members on a regular basis. How do people get chosen for that sort of help? 

I also can't think of one church that could do all that.  Heather, the woman who made those posts on FB hasn't commented more and so far no one has questioned her how those churches in the UK were able to do all those things.  Several people liked her posts, but I'm guessing many people aren't really buying her stories. I'm surprised crazy ass fangirl Deanna Tullison didn't comment to Heather. Months ago, a woman posted about how her father had to work multiple jobs after her mother died. The woman said that her town and church couldn't help them and Deanna went on some rant about megachurches and pastors not helping people while getting tax breaks or exemptions.  From how the woman phrased things, I got the feeling she and her family lived in a small town where churches are smaller and might have not had the resources to help people out. 

12 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Here is the "About Us" section from his company

http://www.alexanderandsons.consulting/about-us/who-we-are

It's always seemed vague to me how Ken went from studying for the ministry to touring the country and lecturing about orthodontia practices in a short amount of time.

I have an idea (no proof, just a hunch) that Lori's dad (a medical doctor) got Ken started in consulting because, let's face it, he's making a hell of a lot more money than he would as a minister.

I have the thought the same thing. 

Edited by lilwriter85
  • Upvote 6

Saw this on Facebook and thought of Lori.  I wonder if she's a member of any of these Facebook groups.

"Black Salve Is A Dangerous Fake Cancer Cure, But It Continues To Flourish In Facebook Groups"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/how-a-flesh-eating-fake-cancer-cure-spread-across-facebook?fbclid=IwAR1gx68Nx9TPOPzPliPIkqGh4acbexGKbZTOMRSJA09sPNN0w_XU0-T0cDM

• Upvote 10

My parish has an emergency fund to be used at the pastor's discretion for people who need immediate assistance. It's not large enough to buy cars or pay all of someone's monthly bills and on one is going to get the whole thing. And assistance is a one time deal for very immediate needs only. From there, people are referred to the archdiocese's social services office which can assist (at no cost) in connecting with available area resources (government and otherwise) to help them. The parish I worked for before coming here actually had a nun on staff who was a licensed social worker and helped families in the parish and greater community to access both government and archdiocesean services. 

In our ten years in this parish, there have been two cases when the parish also sponsored fundraising to assist families with needs. One was a young couple and the husband had cancer--an offering to assist with medical bills was taken up. Another was a family whose 14 year old was killed in a car accident, the church sponsored a money raising campaign for funeral expenses. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

23 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My parish has an emergency fund to be used at the pastor's discretion for people who need immediate assistance. It's not large enough to buy cars or pay all of someone's monthly bills and on one is going to get the whole thing. And assistance is a one time deal for very immediate needs

What? You mean they won't support a widow with young kids for years?  Even if she followed Lori's advice and didn't go to college and has no skills and now has to to figure out how to support her kids?   What is wrong with them Lori? 

• Upvote 13

2 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

What? You mean they won't support a widow with young kids for years?  Even if she followed Lori's advice and didn't go to college and has no skills and now has to to figure out how to support her kids?   What is wrong with them Lori? 

That fund doesn't have enough money to support anyone for years. I believe around $3-5000 is set aside per year depending on the budget and how much was used the previous fiscal year. 

They would send the young widow to people who can help her get benefits and job training and, eventually,  a job. But Catholics don't believe that women should never work. 

In fact, the Jesuit magazine just published this story: https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2019/10/30/christian-argument-more-stay-home-dads

I'd love to see Lori's response to that. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

The parish I went to growing up also had a fund similar to what @louisa05 described. Knights of Columbus, Sacred Heart League, and other church groups often hosted fundraisers to help families in need.  The parish also referred people to government or other agencies for assistance.  My parents still attend that parish and they have clothing and food box program for families in need. I think a lot of churches are doing the best they can to help people and it's always a good thing even if the things they are doing aren't that big.  Last month when Lori went on that bitch fest regarding Social Security benefits and was bitching about churches and families not supporting widows it pissed me off. She and Ken admitted they didn't tithe to the churches they used to  attend. I remember her saying in one of her Youtube videos that John MacArthur's church supported widows. I don't know if there is any proof of that

• Upvote 12

I suspect most churches would be happy to help as they could once or twice, but after that they're going to be recommending local charities to get help most likely.

And who are the people running and staffing these charities? Lots of them are working women. 

Once again my pastor had a sermon that seemed like something Lori should be strapped down and made to listen to. The entire sermon was about keeping the Bible in context! How the Bible was written for the social situations of the day, and how we must look at the historical, social and literary context of the part we are reading, then look at it through the lens of Jesus' example to see how it applies (and if it applies) today. For example, what was going on in Corinth that caused Paul to write what he did to them? He pointed out that Jesus spoke in metaphors, and that no one does (or should) take the entire Bible literally. He also had a section in there about not cherry-picking verses, but reading them in the context of the surrounding verses and chapters, and then also looking at them in the context of the times when they were written. 

Hear that Lori? Those verses you like to pick out and harp on don't necessarily mean what you think, they don't apply like you think, and you are useless as a mentor. Understanding the Bible takes work, and Lazy Lori can't be bothered. She's found words she can twist to harm people, and she enjoys that, so that's what she does.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic