IGNORED

Mrs. Anna T seems to be changing her mind regarding women working and other things

Briefly

10 hours ago, AuntCloud said:

One of the biggest differences I have noticed between Israel and Canada is that virtually all Israeli women work. Israelis value women's education as much as men's, and women who choose to stay home are looked down upon ("aren't you bored? what do you even do when the kids are at Gan? (*preschool/kindergarten) Don't you feel like you're wasting your educations?). I don't think I've known a single religious woman who hasn't worked. Was this mindset helpful in making your personal decision to work?

So sorry to hear about your neighbour and the general neighbour situation. Small, isolated settlements can get... weird. 

Oops, I had written a long response yesterday and must have deleted it instead of posting!

I think the fact that the vast majority of Israeli women, religious or not, work has to do with the murderously high housing prices. A family that goes the usual rent/mortgage route practically needs a whole salary just for that. In the settlements, especially smallish more remote ones where housing is cheaper, many mothers stay home. I certainly wasn't the only one among my neighbors. 

We are insanely privileged to be living in a house that belongs to my mom, plus we lease our own house, which provides a regular monthly income. I don't know how we would have scrapped by otherwise. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. As you can see, my point of reference is my family and friends in the Greater Tel-Aviv area and other major cities. 

Still, even in more affordable times I felt most women have worked, at least part time. 

• Upvote 2