IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

13 minutes ago, Howl said:

Might people in high control environments be better at learning how to hide their mental illness by just keeping up exterior appearances within the very narrow limits of approved behaviors until something breaks?  

I think that is unlikely because the sort of serious dxs I am thinking of result in thought disturbances and behaviors that are not controllable by the individual.  And complete psychotic breaks rarely happen without any warning signs at all.  

I think it more likely that in controlling, isolated, resistant to conventional health and mental health providers, and very religious family systems (especially those who believe you can pray away mental illness) warning signs can be overlooked, misinterpreted, or hidden from outsiders.  Until something really bad happens.  Usually to the patient themselves and not to others.  Not blaming the victims here, but denial happens.

It is really hard to succeed in a "not guilty by reason of insanity" case.  This case has similarities to the Stockdale case, IMO.  However, Orion Krause had a pre-existing diagnosis and they were frantically searching for him when he went missing.  https://wgme.com/news/local/maine-man-accused-of-murdering-mother-grandparents-uses-insanity-defense

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, zeebaneighba said:

Hell, I wish didn't know who the president is!

What can I say?  I’m protecting my kids’ hearts. Sparing them the pain I have experienced...

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 11

2 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

What can I say?  I’m protecting my kids’ hearts. Sparing them the pain I have experienced...

As my cousin’s daughter said during the 2016 election, “If Trump becomes president he’ll be the worst man in the world!” She was about 7 or 8 at the time. Smart kid.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 10

We never talk about the president with our kids. They are still young so I can shield them from a lot of things in the news right now. We eventually will. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

How fucking sad is it that we live in a world where we have to shield children from the president. I completely understand why people do it; I'm not insulting the fact that you have to, just that damn. We live in a world where the president (the president!!) can't behave well enough for children to hear about him. 

What a world.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 28
  • Love 1

I agree totally. I have never agreed fully with everything a president has done, regardless of party. But... yup. This is reality. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5

On 10/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, OhNoNike said:

Heck. My kids don’t know who the president is and that’s fine by me.  

9 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

I wish my kids didn't know who the president is, but they've heard me yelling at the television too many times to remain ignorant. :pb_redface: I try to explain my actions and emotions in an age appropriate way.

9 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

As my cousin’s daughter said during the 2016 election, “If Trump becomes president he’ll be the worst man in the world!” She was about 7 or 8 at the time. Smart kid.

I was on my kids' school playground with a line of second graders the morning after the 2016 election. I don't remember if any of the boys said anything, but several of the girls were very sad that we didn't get our first female president. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 5

I was in high school when the scandal with President Clinton *ahem* went down, but up until then I remember the biggest thing I heard about was that Dan Quayle couldn't spell "potato" and that President Bush didn't know how to buy groceries.

I hope we get there again someday, I really do. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5

I started reading old Doonesbury comics (collected in books) when I was in late grade school/junior high, so my first exposure to presidential ineptitude and criminality was reading there about Watergate. (I was about 4 when Nixon resigned, so I don't remember it personally.) I didn't entirely understand what I was reading, but I got there eventually. 

• Upvote 11

Well, hell.  Even Tricky Dicky Nixon had enough of a sense of shame to resign.

Those were the days.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I was in high school when the scandal with President Clinton *ahem* went down, but up until then I remember the biggest thing I heard about was that Dan Quayle couldn't spell "potato" and that President Bush didn't know how to buy groceries.

I hope we get there again someday, I really do. 

I was in high school too. Being in high school in the late 90s was something. Columbine, the Clinton sex scandal, y2k, and chat rooms were new and full of pervs wanting to “cyber.”

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

the day after the election, granddaughter #2, who was about 6, i think, said to me "why did the bad man win?" i never will have an answer for that :my_sad:

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 10
  • Love 4

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was in high school too. Being in high school in the late 90s was something. Columbine, the Clinton sex scandal, y2k, and chat rooms were new and full of pervs wanting to “cyber.”

Little did we know just how fucking ridiculous it was about to get. 

Also, a/s/l? :GPn0zNK:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My grandson was 9 at the time (and an atheist!), and said, in comforting his mother, “I think some great power will arise to work for good.”

• Upvote 1
  • Love 18

9 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Little did we know just how fucking ridiculous it was about to get. 

Also, a/s/l? :GPn0zNK:

I legit always lied about my a/s/l and I imagine most other teens did too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh yeah. I remember being a 27-year-old grad student in Chicago. I was actually a 12-year-old in my parent's basement in Iowa. Good times.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 21

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Me, me! HAHA. Oh, man, looking back I talked to some pervy old dudes! I was so young (15/16 in the late 90's) and I just didn't have a clue. A friend and I would have sleepovers and stay up in chatroom all night. We even each had our own internet "boyfriends" for a summer. What a lifetime or 2 ago that was!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Blessings of the Corn said:

Me, me! HAHA. Oh, man, looking back I talked to some pervy old dudes! I was so young (15/16 in the late 90's) and I just didn't have a clue. A friend and I would have sleepovers and stay up in chatroom all night. We even each had our own internet "boyfriends" for a summer. What a lifetime or 2 ago that was!

Oh I remember internet boyfriends! I never had one but I knew a girl that did. She actually talked her parents into visiting him out of state! But it was all very innocent and they eventually broke up. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh I remember internet boyfriends! I never had one but I knew a girl that did. She actually talked her parents into visiting him out of state! But it was all very innocent and they eventually broke up. 

haha. Hers was a guy she met in a chat room and they "dated." I don't think they even talked on the phone much less met. Mine was a guy who somehow saw a family prayer card at his family's church (we were missionaries overseas) and decided to write me letters. We wrote a lot of letters, talked maybe once on the phone, and I never met him in person. So strange because my parents were very weird about dating (as in I did NOT date and I wasn't allowed to even express interesting in boys - that created a whole bunch of issues that would take to long to unpack here), but they were totally ok with this random boy. To be fair he was the son of a childhood friend. Ah, those were the days.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Blessings of the Corn said:

At the time, I thought I was a pretty damn persuasive 12-year-old acting like a 27-year-old, because not one called me out on it. As an adult, I realized that they probably knew and either didn’t care or preferred the truth. :my_confused:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I'm still friends with two guys I met on AOL when I was 15. So I've known them over 20 years. But ah yes, the days of chat rooms.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I started reading old Doonesbury comics (collected in books) when I was in late grade school/junior high, so my first exposure to presidential ineptitude and criminality was reading there about Watergate. (I was about 4 when Nixon resigned, so I don't remember it personally.) I didn't entirely understand what I was reading, but I got there eventually. 

I was in elementary school during Watergate(just about to start third grade when Nixon resigned).  I remember my teacher trying to explain it to us, and it flying over my head.

ETA:  Getting back to ”Plathville,” I saw the commercial about 245376 times while watching “Taken At Birth” last night(which I highly recommend—the series, not the ad).

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4

Ah the JRod thread, where I come to discuss talking to internet strangers when I was 15. Now I’m talking to internet strangers and I’m a 27 year old grad student in Chicago. 

(And by that I mean I’m a 35+ full time working mom on the east coast)

I never lied about my age on AOL but I probably should have.  I did have a boyfriend I met on Geocities, though, and actually lost my virginity to him when I was 14. And I was responsible and used condoms (that I got free from Planned Parenthood!) and I still kept my heart and have 0 regrets.  So there. 

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 3

It would depend on when they started recording the family, but if they show Hosanna wedding i think Nurie will appear for sure. She was in the wedding party and its her best friend. And the vive i am getting from the show commercial at least is that they want to show how weird they are so they wouldnt pass the opportunity to record Nurie speaking.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic