IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

35 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Using pro-life as an example, is someone fundie if they are personally pro-life, but aren't working to enforce their personal belief on others through policy or protest? I wouldn't think so, personally. I have a friend who is pro-life in terms of her own choices, but would 100% be there for me if I were to decide to make a different decision. I would think she's conservative for sure, but not fundamentalist ( I also know fundamentalism isn't based on a single issue). We don't see Olivia and Ethan (on social media at least) involved in protests and politics the way we see the Morton's for example. I feel like this should mean something.

Again, I only used prolife as an example. I never said it was a deciding factor. She blogged about being prolife in the past so I assume she’s still prolife a few years later. Fundies who publicly blog about their beliefs years before and then never change or correct it later, makes me think they still believe those things. There’s nothing that makes me say flat out that Olivia is no longer fundie. Could she be in the process of change right now? Definitely. That could take awhile. Ask any ex fundie and most of them don’t change overnight. But since Olivia hasn’t said, I’m going with still fundie. Possibly in process of change. 

• Upvote 3

If I may chime in , in my opinion there should be a distinction made in degrees of extremes between those conservative Christians whom are merely fundamentalists , those whom are legalists , and those at the most cultlike extreme end whom are totalists .  To lump them all together in one box in my opinion does a disservice to all concerned .  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 13

3 minutes ago, Marmion said:

If I may chime in , in my opinion there should be a distinction made in degrees of extremes between those conservative Christians whom are merely fundamentalists , those whom are legalists , and those at the most cultlike extreme end whom are totalists .  To lump them all together in one box in my opinion does a disservice to all concerned .  

Oh there are definitely different kinds of fundies. I can’t disagree there.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

So Olivia just posted an Instagram story about the show and her in laws. 

The very basic recap is that she always expected to get married and have a great relationship with her in laws. She expected them to be like family. But that’s not what she got and she’s been grieving this first year for the kind of relationship she wanted with her in laws. 

The most interesting thing she said is “as you know Ethan grew up in a fundamentalist legalistic way and we are breaking away from that.” I am kind of surprised and kind of not surprised that she doesn’t see her own family as fundamentalist. They are absolutely fundamentalist. But they are less legalistic than Ethan’s family and a little more open to change. But if you read the old blog, the Meggs family raised their kids fundie. I hope that Olivia will one day see that her parents also caused damage by raising her and her siblings fundamentalist. Since they are not as legalistic and strict as Ethan’s family, she doesn’t see it. If she only focuses on the Plath’s, she won’t see the damage her own family caused. 

Here is a blog post Olivia wrote 4 years ago about the Plath family. They had known the family for a year at this point. She says they found a family they get along great with and they are so happy to “Fellowship with like minded believers.”

https://themeggsfamily.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/meet-the-plath-family/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

I can't help but wonder what Ethan thinks about Olivia saying such negative things about his family so openly and publicly. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they are somewhat moving away from the fundamentalism they both grew up with. But they must be seriously alientating his family in the process, and so far, this seems to be almost exclusively driven by Olivia. I really hope Ethan is on board with what Olivia has been saying about his family.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I can't help but wonder what Ethan thinks about Olivia saying such negative things about his family so openly and publicly. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they are somewhat moving away from the fundamentalism they both grew up with. But they must be seriously alientating his family in the process, and so far, this seems to be almost exclusively driven by Olivia. I really hope Ethan is on board with what Olivia has been saying about his family.

She has been silent for a very long time.  Maybe people in the community see things, but she has never spoken openly about it on social media until tonight.  That’s probably because with the show now released, the family drama is open for the world to see.  Barry and Kim certainly have not refrained from sharing what they think about her.  I don’t think it was out of place for her to bring it up on Instagram because of things like this group - we are all talking about it, and better to address that than let there continue to be an elephant in the room. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The very basic recap is that she always expected to get married and have a great relationship with her in laws. She expected them to be like family. But that’s not what she got and she’s been grieving this first year for the kind of relationship she wanted with her in laws. 

The most interesting thing she said is “as you know Ethan grew up in a fundamentalist legalistic way and we are breaking away from that.” I am kind of surprised and kind of not surprised that she doesn’t see her own family as fundamentalist. They are absolutely fundamentalist. But they are less legalistic than Ethan’s family and a little more open to change. But if you read the old blog, the Meggs family raised their kids fundie. I hope that Olivia will one day see that her parents also caused damage by raising her and her siblings fundamentalist. Since they are not as legalistic and strict as Ethan’s family, she doesn’t see it. If she only focuses on the Plath’s, she won’t see the damage her own family caused. 

Here is a blog post Olivia wrote 4 years ago about the Plath family. They had known the family for a year at this point. She says they found a family they get along great with and they are so happy to “Fellowship with like minded believers.”

Regarding the blog ... fundie children are often not allowed to think for themselves.  Maybe that’s why Olivia started her business and got out of the house traveling at 18.  She probably needed the space to cope and think and heal. She recently shared an Instagram story about growing up having a broken relationship with her dad and needing time and space to heal that, before they could reconcile their differences.  It was shared in a respectful way, and she stated that her family and her are on good terms now after several years of time and space. 

also, when talking about leaving fundamentalism, she says “we are trying to break away from that.”  My guess is she was including her family in that but didn’t bring them up by name because they aren’t in the show. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

They probably taught him to “leave and cleave.” So it’s partly their fault. They are so negative towards Olivia, that I would be really disappointed if Ethan didn’t support Olivia. If Ethan wants his marriage to work, he has to support Olivia in the situation. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They probably taught him to “leave and cleave.” So it’s partly their fault. They are so negative towards Olivia, that I would be really disappointed if Ethan didn’t support Olivia. If Ethan wants his marriage to work, he has to support Olivia in the situation. 

I watched her insta story and she made it sound like it was a mutual decision. She said that they are trying to figure out what they want to be right now as they’re moving away from a fundamentalist lifestyle. She said Ethan was the one that encouraged her to cut her hair and get her nose pierced if that was what she wanted. I really felt for her when she talked about how she grew up always wanting to have a great relationship with her in-laws and now she has to watch them break down her “personality and character” (her words) for the whole world to see. Having in-laws that don’t like you is one thing, but having to have the world hear how they feel about you has got to be another whole kind of awful. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I watched her insta story and she made it sound like it was a mutual decision. She said that they are trying to figure out what they want to be right now as they’re moving away from a fundamentalist lifestyle. She said Ethan was the one that encouraged her to cut her hair and get her nose pierced if that was what she wanted. I really felt for her when she talked about how she grew up always wanting to have a great relationship with her in-laws and now she has to watch them break down her “personality and character” (her words) for the whole world to see. Having in-laws that don’t like you is one thing, but having to have the world hear how they feel about you has got to be another whole kind of awful. 

I feel really bad for her too. She’s in a difficult position. I wish they were able to move away from the Plath’s. Her family may be fundie but they are at least much less negative than the Plath’s. She seemed to be happy to be back in Virginia for her brother’s wedding recently. I’m sure her family doesn’t agree with their choices either, but I doubt they are being as vocal as the Plath’s. I keep thinking that no matter how bad Olivia has it, Moriah has it way worse.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I really felt for her when she talked about how she grew up always wanting to have a great relationship with her in-laws and now she has to watch them break down her “personality and character (her words) for the whole world to see

This is along the lines of what cults do to brainwash people into fitting the prescribed mold .  https://pmaf.blog/2018/06/04/48-online-cults-re-freezing-part-19/   , https://www.drphil.com/advice/mind-control-warning-signs/  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I finally watched the debut episode of this insipid show, and will definitely stop there.  It's hard to believe TLC hasn't totally encouraged certain television-worthy situations for this family.  For example:  Is Ethan really the complete Doofus he appears to be, or is this an act?  If it's not an act, what on Earth did his wife see in him?

I'm a French teacher and life-long Francophile, and the idea of these two ugly Americans visiting France for their honeymoon makes me crazy.   Unless, of course, this guy is not as stupid as he appears and is just playing along.  It's hard to tell though.   These types (the parents) are such hypocrites: They preach the nice, quiet, and simple farm life, and then invite the big bad world in to film their most intimate interactions.  There's money in these dumb reality shows, and that's really the bottom line (even though they probably consider this dumb show as their 'ministry' to the rest of us - blech.) 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 11/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, Caroline said:

I finally watched the debut episode of this insipid show, and will definitely stop there.  It's hard to believe TLC hasn't totally encouraged certain television-worthy situations for this family.  For example:  Is Ethan really the complete Doofus he appears to be, or is this an act?  If it's not an act, what on Earth did his wife see in him?

I'm a French teacher and life-long Francophile, and the idea of these two ugly Americans visiting France for their honeymoon makes me crazy.   Unless, of course, this guy is not as stupid as he appears and is just playing along.  It's hard to tell though.   These types (the parents) are such hypocrites: They preach the nice, quiet, and simple farm life, and then invite the big bad world in to film their most intimate interactions.  There's money in these dumb reality shows, and that's really the bottom line (even though they probably consider this dumb show as their 'ministry' to the rest of us - blech.) 

There is a few things that dont add up to me too. On one hand they sell the Plath parents as crazy strict. And Olivia and Moriah keep complaining about how they dont allow them freedom at all, etc.

Then they show us a 16 years old acting like an stereotypical revelious teenager, wearing pants and really short skirts and spaguetti strap tops in the house. What did the parents about that? aparently give her a lecture and let her keep wearing what she wants. I can not imagine a Bates daughter for example wearing pants while still at home, they would simple not allow it. Funny thing is that while the Plaths are being represented as super strict on their show the Bateses apear to be super reasonable and compromising parents. The magic of tv.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Although I support Olivia leading Ethan into the world, I feel really bad for Kim. So much trauma there, with her alcoholic mom and having accidentally killed her son. Now she has to watch Olivia leading at least two of her kids away from her values. Even though I’m from Florida and I know that many a fundamentalist heart beats under a tank top, the Plath teens made me think “Nike!” a lot. Plus Moriah gets to blow off housework and work with her rebellious sister-in-law. It’s hard for me to see them as real fundies, compared with the Duggar, Bates, and Rodrigues families. 

• Upvote 6

Olivia posted that she took Ethan to his first fair. That is so telling. A fundie boy who was raised on a farm and he’s never been to a fair? That is crazy. It’s sad as hell he and his siblings never got to show their animals or even enjoy fair rides. Like I know the Plath’s are sheltered, but that is sheltered even for fundies. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 11/7/2019 at 10:49 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So on the second episode which I saw online, she actually says she grew up pretty legalistic and women weren’t allowed to talk. She said that Moriah reminded her at that age, where things didn’t make sense to her and she just saw things differently.  She said after her parents revisited some of their beliefs, her dad actually apologized to her, and she’s had a great relationship with them since.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Olivia posted that she took Ethan to his first fair. That is so telling. A fundie boy who was raised on a farm and he’s never been to a fair? That is crazy. It’s sad as hell he and his siblings never got to show their animals or even enjoy fair rides. Like I know the Plath’s are sheltered, but that is sheltered even for fundies. 

Also on the episode, she took Moriah to CA. Moriah said it was her first plane ride. But what really got me was when she said she’d never been on a moving train before.  That kind of blew my mind. I’m from an area on the E Coast where we do have a lot of trains that do kid activities so maybe I’m just lucky, but I figured train rides would be a really wholesome activity to do with homeschooled kids.  

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

3 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

So on the second episode which I saw online, she actually says she grew up pretty legalistic and women weren’t allowed to talk. She said that Moriah reminded her at that age, where things didn’t make sense to her and she just saw things differently.  She said after her parents revisited some of their beliefs, her dad actually apologized to her, and she’s had a great relationship with them since.

Also on the episode, she took Moriah to CA. Moriah said it was her first plane ride. But what really got me was when she said she’d never been on a moving train before.  That kind of blew my mind. I’m from an area on the E Coast where we do have a lot of trains that do kid activities so maybe I’m unique, but I figured train rides would be a really wholesome activity to do with homeschooled kids.  

Trains definitely aren’t popular in the south. Usually if you take a train ride, it’s a special event. Most of the trains I’ve ever been on have been in larger cities like NYC, DC, and Chicago.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Just realized that Olivia is friends with Joel and Betsy Foster.  How’s that for a crossover. 

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3

Also, there are a lot of places they could have went as a homeschooling family. They didn’t appear to do that according to Moira. They were weirdly sheltered. Not keen on how the parents talk about Olivia and Moira and not keen on how they talk about Kim. I think bridges are going to be burned. 

Just now, OhNoNike said:

Just realized that Olivia is friends with Joel and Betsy Catlin. How’s that for a crossover. 

Oh these fundies all know each other! I swear it’s such a small fundie world. I really wonder about Betsy. She had 4 kids in less than 4 years and her youngest was born with microcephaly after using plexus during pregnancy. I know Jill still loves the Plexus. But I wonder if Betsy is still so gung ho about it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

Olivia’s Twitter is quite the gem. I had no reason to think the Duggars and Plaths were friends, despite JRod as a mutual friend (using that term is the loosest possible sense) but surprised none the less to see this dig... 

78DCFD99-7753-460C-9D6D-E81926CAD172.jpeg

Edited by FundiePrincess
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Reddit rumor has it that Moriha is or has moved to Minnesota. 

Olivia posted about it on her instagram.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

Okay, just watched the San Francisco episode and I have to say that this Kim is just a category 5 nightmare! None of her guests would come if Olivia had alcohol? WTF? I grew up with a drunk step parent so I get if Kim doesn't like booze but don't step on your daughter in law and her right to enjoy it. As long as nobody's getting black out drunk or crazy then why the issue? Next, her attitude toward Moriah is clear IMO. Oh, and Kim probably added to the school stuff on purpose to make it more likely that she wouldn't finish after Olivia had already probably paid for the tickets. 

Edited by Lady Hockey Lover
  • Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic