IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s very shitty that Moriah is the black sheep even though Ethan, Micah, and Moriah are not sticking to their parents’ strict rules. Kim seems to be doing incredibly sexist. She’s blaming Moriah and Olivia for everything. 

I’m watching now and Ethan absolutely loves wine slushees and margaritas. His mom has nothing between teetotaler and alcoholism. No sugar at all is the only option too. Her baggage is hers, not her kids. Her husband talks about drinking too much in high school.

And Kim could not say a single nice thing about her daughter Moriah. The father said she was “wired” different, in other words she has a brain that belongs to her. 

This is edited for TLC so I know it’s purposely hyped up for drama but Moriah really seems to feel a need to be herself. I think they kind of passive aggressively allow it. She’s not at all like Nurie, as if Jill would ever allow it. Moriah wears shorts, tank tops and jeans on the farm. 

I’m halfway through and Ethan is just, very, uh...*child like. He seems really open to new things though. Chandler is his favorite character on Friends. 

I’m going to finish now. 

*not as an insult. Just really innocent. 

Edited by DancingPhalanges
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I’ve finished watching episode 1. It’s full of hypocrisy and drama just like other fundie tv shows. 

What does give me some pause without making any excuses for Kim is the fact that she witnessed domestic violence and alcoholism. It’s unresolved pain and as a result her husband and children have a job, make up for her childhood. Each child is born to help her erase her memories. Children born with the baggage of the job of fixing something that’s broken in a parent, well that’s heart breaking. 

She also requires far too much of Lydia, and probably Hosannah when she was home. 

I know we see a lot of this in the families discussed here, but it’s hard to watch. It’s also hard not to project because I was also a child that saw a lot of what Kim did. Different outcomes, I worked on it and didn’t expect my children to fix it.

*I just read my posts and realize the grammar is terrible. I’m sitting in a hospital with my mil, too brain tired to try and make the sentences flow better. So sorry for the mess. 

Edited by DancingPhalanges
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 16

16 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I loved it when Olivia commented on J Rod’s post about Nurie’s super godly courtship.

What did she say??

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Olivia and Ethan went to Olivia’s brother’s wedding. Joshua is her older brother that got married. Elijah and Joshua Meggs are the two oldest (not sure which is older), then Elise, then Olivia, then Lydia. As we already know from her blog, Elijah is married to Faith and they have two kids. I’m not sure who Joshua just married. I’ll try to figure it out. Elise is married to a police officer and they have no children. They’ve been married for a couple of years so I’m assuming she’s like Olivia and not quiverful. Two more of Olivia’s younger siblings graduated from homeschool this year. That’s all the info I’ve got for the Meggs family right now. I wish Ethan and Olivia lived close to the Meggs family even though they are fundie too. I just think the Plaths are toxic and Ethan and Olivia would do better away from them. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

I think it goes from oldest to youngest: Elijah, Joshua, Elise, Olivia, Lydia, Sophia, Nathan, Charis, Micah, and Kristen. 

• Thank You 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, llg1234 said:

I watched the first episode and did a half-assed recap. 

Hide contents

Ethan sees some nippies and is flabbergasted. He's kinda childish about it. 

I know this is probably the wrong takeaway from all this, but what happened with Ethan seeing nipples?

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

A documentary from QuiverFull just popped up on my YouTube recommendations.  My takeaways -- Hosanna writes to 40 girls.  Olivia was still home at the time.  It was interesting that the parents could speak of each individual child's likes and preferences, such as Isaac loving planes.  

Now we're getting a big speech on family unity.  One body, in unity.  At least Daddy Plath has a job.

• Upvote 1

I can kind of see the appeal of Ethan to Olivia. Since she grew up fundie and her parents seemed to attend the NGJ Shindig, I’m sure she’s heard about Michael and Debi Pearl’s honeymoon. She might think Ethan is a safe choice.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Everything Plath is trending on YouTube now

On 11/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, wallysmommy said:

A documentary from QuiverFull just popped up on my YouTube recommendations.  My takeaways -- Hosanna writes to 40 girls.  Olivia was still home at the time.  It was interesting that the parents could speak of each individual child's likes and preferences, such as Isaac loving planes.  

Now we're getting a big speech on family unity.  One body, in unity.  At least Daddy Plath has a job.

Did you catch the part where Mommy Plath mentioned submitting to her husband? 

And she mentioned 10 births but didn’t talk about Joshua. People in comments were discussing how she was responsible for his death. 

The comments are gold, except some scary ones by white supremacists and other fundies accusing people of being leftists, feminists and atheists.

Edited by Pleiades_06
Read the comments
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Everything Plath is trending on YouTube now

Did you catch the part where Mommy Plath mentioned submitting to her husband? 

And she mentioned 10 births but didn’t talk about Joshua. People in comments were discussing how she was responsible for his death. 

The comments are gold, except some scary ones by white supremacists and other fundies accusing people of being leftists, feminists and atheists.

It will be the elephant in the room if she says she gave birth to ten and people can count they only have 9. And you can find the description of the accident online. So it’s probably best to at least briefly talk about it on the show. 

• Upvote 7

Haven't seen any of it, but the way you guys describe Ethan makes him sound like an Amish guy going through Rumspringa.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On 10/30/2019 at 6:19 PM, smittykins said:

One of my former bosses said that as a kid, she was only allowed to say “boom-boom” instead of fart.(And I was almost an adult before I found out there were “nicer” alternatives.)

My mother used to babysit two girls,a few times a week for years....they called a fart....a "Bozo".

• WTF 1
  • Haha 7

Just watched the first episode. I will be surprised if it goes beyond the six episodes. Kim seems to like them all to look wistful and innocent. Her background was anything but! By overprotecting them and not preparing them for real life they are doing them a huge disservice. I really liked Moriah, seemed like your average teen. They consider her a rebel, which is pretty reasonable as they do come off as terribly "goody goody". The oldest son seems very young. Very typically, for a new drinker, he likes the sweet cocktails! Not sure I could watch a second episode.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, melon said:

My mother used to babysit two girls,a few times a week for years....they called a fart....a "Bozo".

This reminds me of an episode of Bob’s Burgers. It’s one of my favorites. Tina and Tammy babysit a very strange little girl who must call female genitals a tinkledink and male genitals a tinkledinker. ?

• Haha 5

I cackled out loud when he said he had 12 wine slushies and didn't have an overhang! :pb_lol: 

Olivia reminded me of my best friend who was raised in a homeschool family. My friend was one of two kids, and both ended up in public high school, so my friend and her brother got re-introduced to the world at 14 instead of 22 or however old Ethan is. My friend's family is conservative for sure, but as long as I've known them have always been pro alcohol, bikinis, etc. 

Ethan kind of reminded me of this dude from Forgetting Sarah Marshall:

Spoiler

Off to find the mythical clitoris!!! 

image.png.6fc3b31dcb908bd7b41f145661ffcb78.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 6

I love Jack McBrayer. It amazes me he is my husband’s age. He always seems so much younger because he plays naive so well. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 2:28 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe she ignores the whole baby beating thing. I think a lot of fundies do this. They will completely ignore one thing they totally disagree with from other fundies just because they agree on everything else. That’s how these fundie groups intermingle. Vision Forum and ATI had some different beliefs but a lot of those fundies mixed socially. 

I think this is spot on. They unite under the us-against-worldliness and ignore some of other stuff. Just posted about this on a THM mama thread about fundies who recommend the Pearls but not the “extremes” of their teaching !?!?!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

For those who have said Olivia and Ethan are still fundies, in what ways are they fundamentalist? They haven’t said much regarding religious beliefs, but based on what I’ve seen and heard and Olivia’s social media, they seem, to me, to be regular conservative or even downright modern, Christian. Just honestly curious as to where the line is before we remove the ‘fundie’ label

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, FundiePrincess said:

For those who have said Olivia and Ethan are still fundies, in what ways are they fundamentalist? They haven’t said much regarding religious beliefs, but based on what I’ve seen and heard and Olivia’s social media, they seem, to me, to be regular conservative or even downright modern, Christian. Just honestly curious as to where the line is before we remove the ‘fundie’ label

Since they haven’t specifically said they aren’t fundie or they don’t believe X Y and Z, it’s safe to assume they still hold a lot of the fundie beliefs they grew up with. If you look at the old Meggs blog, you will see that as a teen, olivia was still very fundie and expressed fundie beliefs. One example being very pro life. She hasn’t really said anything about being pro life in the last couple of years on instagram, but that doesn’t mean she’s now pro choice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

I know this is probably the wrong takeaway from all this, but what happened with Ethan seeing nipples?

Nippies, not nipples lol. He told Olivia he "saw something naughty" and asked what they were for. He thought maybe they had to do with breast feeding and Olivia explained that they're sticky and attached to breast to prevent nipples from showing through clothing. They're used usually when wearing a dress that's backless and you don't want bra straps showing. He giggled and whispered to her that he'd like her to show him what they look like on herself. She just kinda rolled her eyes and ignored that. 

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

@JermajestyDuggar thanks, I appreciate your thoughts! I guess I would assume most conservative or even mainstream Christians are pro-life. I would be interested really curious as to their thoughts on patriarchy and the umbrella of authority which may be more telling. Olivia doesn’t seem like the fire and brimstone type which I usually associate with fundies too

• Upvote 8

24 minutes ago, FundiePrincess said:

@JermajestyDuggar thanks, I appreciate your thoughts! I guess I would assume most conservative or even mainstream Christians are pro-life. I would be interested really curious as to their thoughts on patriarchy and the umbrella of authority which may be more telling. Olivia doesn’t seem like the fire and brimstone type which I usually associate with fundies too

I was just using prolife as an example. The thing about fundies is that you have to assume they still believe the stuff they have stated in the past until they tell us differently. They can say it verbally but they can also say it with their actions. Like being seen at a gay pride parade supporting a friend in the LGBTQ community. That act alone would tell me they may be leaving some fundie beliefs behind. There are fundies who drink alcohol, wear mainstream clothing, kiss before marriage, date before marriage, and dance. But their core fundie beliefs are similar to those who don’t do any of those things. It’s a little more tricky these days to spot a fundie. Because they don’t seem to want to be “set apart” anymore. They don’t want to wear frumpy clothing. They want to dance. They want to understand the pop culture references. So they look like lots of mainstream folks all while holding on to really horrible beliefs. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

Nippies, not nipples lol. He told Olivia he "saw something naughty" and asked what they were for. He thought maybe they had to do with breast feeding and Olivia explained that they're sticky and attached to breast to prevent nipples from showing through clothing. They're used usually when wearing a dress that's backless and you don't want bra straps showing. He giggled and whispered to her that he'd like her to show him what they look like on herself. She just kinda rolled her eyes and ignored that. 

Thanks. Somebody should tell him about nipple tassels. His brain would explode. Olivia is clearly a patient woman.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I watched maybe ten minutes of the show and found the dad really irritating.  I have the same reaction to Gil Bates, but not quite as bad as with this guy.  Didn't find the rest of them particularly interesting so I doubt I'll watch another minute of it...unless I find out that JRod & clan have managed to sneak on.

• Upvote 2

Using pro-life as an example, is someone fundie if they are personally pro-life, but aren't working to enforce their personal belief on others through policy or protest? I wouldn't think so, personally. I have a friend who is pro-life in terms of her own choices, but would 100% be there for me if I were to decide to make a different decision. I would think she's conservative for sure, but not fundamentalist ( I also know fundamentalism isn't based on a single issue). We don't see Olivia and Ethan (on social media at least) involved in protests and politics the way we see the Morton's for example. I feel like this should mean something.

• Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic